Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garth and others say Ark needs to go to the Big 12

Started by DeltaBoy, May 11, 2016, 11:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfnHog

Keeping things in perspective ole Garth thinks the current president is doing a good job. With that thought in mind, I'd ask Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines to refrain from giving any opinion on sports. More specifically if they involve  AR.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Doug on May 11, 2016, 12:34:22 pm
Know what your statement tells me?

That you have absolutely NO clue about how conference changes work. None.

It's not the Athletic Directors that make the decisions to change conferences. Advise those in charge of making the decisions, sure. But not the one that makes that decision. Who holds that power?

The University System Administration President (Bobbitt) and the School's Chancellor (Steinmetz).

By all means, please continue your seething hatred of that "yankee", Jeff Long. :)

Wow,  overreact much? :D

I am a huge Jeff Long fan.  I think he's been a great addition to the university, and certainly don't have any issue with his place of origin (full disclosure I spent four years in Boston for college so you might consider me a yankee as well).

That being said, I can't believe he would have no sway over the decision to make a conference move.  I would hope that he would agree that staying in the SEC is best for the UofA and do his best to keep us there.

-phil

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 12, 2016, 09:09:20 am
About the only way that Arkansas would leave the SEC for the Big 12 is if they guaranteed Arkansas a minimum pay-out of about 31-33 million per year for the next 10 years and we all know that isn't going to happen.

There's not enough money to make that a good move. Where do you go after ten years? The Big XII still isn't a viable conference in the long-term. All the state legislatures in the southwest won't keep OU and Texas from leaving a dying conference for greener pastures.

Hugo Bezdek

I'll say this too. The defeatist attitudes about our ability to compete in the SEC are misplaced. We've failed to capitalize on our opportunities, but we have had opportunities. We're 0-3 in the SEC Championship, and that doesn't include the 1998 and 2011 teams that were ranked in the Top Ten in November. Win some of those games and we've done as well as anyone outside of Alabama and Florida during our SEC tenure. That's not the same as being unable to compete.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on May 12, 2016, 10:03:52 am
I'll say this too. The defeatist attitudes about our ability to compete in the SEC are misplaced. We've failed to capitalize on our opportunities, but we have had opportunities. We're 0-3 in the SEC Championship, and that doesn't include the 1998 and 2011 teams that were ranked in the Top Ten in November. Win some of those games and we've done as well as anyone outside of Alabama and Florida during our SEC tenure. That's not the same as being unable to compete.

Such factual statements are lost on some people here  :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog Solo on May 11, 2016, 08:44:20 pm
That's what bugged Aggie and they were smart enough to get out.  What does that say about chokelahoma as far as intelligence.

In all fairness to OU they might have had an impossibility of separating from OSU then, as they probably still do now, and there was and still isn't at this time no reason to take both into the SEC. I'd bet they would seriously consider moving in a heartbeat if that impossibility was removed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 31to6 on May 11, 2016, 10:53:09 pm
Not enough.

If the entire staff, faculty, student body and administration of the Univeristy of Texas crawled on broken glass in the August heat all the way to Fayetteville while making "horns down" sign the entire way and then begged us to join.... well, maybe.

And they'd have to back up a dump truck of cash too.

And publicly declare that their BBQ is salty, flavorless, amateur-hour crap. Plus convert to real southern BBQ which they never would do!

And even then, just maybe.

A dump truck load would not be enough, it would have to be a train load...................and yearly.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on May 12, 2016, 10:03:52 am

Nor have we done as well as Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, or Georgia during our time in the SEC.

We've been consistently middle of the road, and occasionally near the bottom and occasionally within striking distance with a lot of luck of the top. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on May 12, 2016, 09:27:01 am
There's not enough money to make that a good move. Where do you go after ten years? The Big XII still isn't a viable conference in the long-term. All the state legislatures in the southwest won't keep OU and Texas from leaving a dying conference for greener pastures.

This is true.  You have to decide what your goal is, profit or titles.  Because the fact is it would be much easier to get a title shot going through the Big 12.  Now, one can say you should have to play the best etc etc. but as long as you're in a Power 5, if you win a title you'll be national champions regardless of whether the #4 team in the SEC West had a tougher schedule.  No one will remember that fact but the fans of the #4 team.

None of it matters though, because money is what drives it all, so it will remain the deciding factor.

rhames

You guys are getting way to carried away with this

Literally the same thing as people asking "Who should the hogs play every year?"

Who cares? It's just his opinion on something that will never happen.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Fatty McGee on May 12, 2016, 10:33:30 am
Nor have we done as well as Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, or Georgia during our time in the SEC.

We've been consistently middle of the road, and occasionally near the bottom and occasionally within striking distance with a lot of luck of the top.

All four of those teams have been to 5 SEC Championship games (LSU has won 4, Auburn 3, Tennessee and Georgia 2), and when they've won they've usually had a shot a National Championship. They've capitalized on their opportunities and we haven't and that's been the difference between our programs.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on May 12, 2016, 10:36:53 am
You guys are getting way to carried away with this

Literally the same thing as people asking "Who should the hogs play every year?"

Who cares? It's just his opinion on something that will never happen.

True. But having a person with a big megaphone of celebrity status using it simply to mouth off about something they have no vested interest in, is one of some people's pet peeves. 

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 10:56:03 am
True. But having a person with a big megaphone of celebrity status using it simply to mouth off about something they have no vested interest in, is one of some people's pet peeves. 

It was an interview on a sports show. They asked him a question.  I don't see him holding any rallies or putting together a petition

The question was asked more in a fun way.

What should he have said??

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on May 12, 2016, 11:24:11 am

It was an interview on a sports show. They asked him a question.  I don't see him holding any rallies or putting together a petition

The question was asked more in a fun way.

Like come come on.

As a celebrity an interview IS a megaphone. Maybe he could have said "I love all of college sports and I bet Arkansas is in the SEC because that's where they want to be"..........................

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 11:29:18 am
As a celebrity an interview IS a megaphone. Maybe he could have said "I love all of college sports and I bet Arkansas is in the SEC because that's where they want to be"..........................

You are thinking way too much into this.

HogInOklahoma

Would the Big 12 take us.  What do we add.  They have a pretty sweet deal right now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhames on May 12, 2016, 11:35:55 am
You are thinking way too much into this.

I've always thought celebrities shouldn't use their celebrity status for a megaphone. They are entertainers nothing more nothing less. The only two exceptions for them using their status as a celebrity is if something happens within their particular industry and if they are doing something to help others overall.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 12, 2016, 09:07:06 am
I stopped reading at "Tulane".

Here's what we have so far -

New Mexico needs to be in a conference with Arkansas, and apparently Albuquerque is secretly a major media market.

Tulane would deliver the New Orleans TV market to the SEC despite the fact that LSU is right up the road and that most people in Orleans Parish don't even know Tulane still has a football team.

Big12 officials are snooping around Jonesboro in hopes that Arkansas State might join.

There are still more than a few people that want Arkansas to be in some version of a new SWC. For anyone to even be able to appreciate what the SWC was in it's heyday, they would have to be well into their 40's....because anyone watching from the early 80's and on knows it was a pathetically crap conference.

I suspect there are a lot of PlayStation Heroes that have created their own conferences in their heads. Maybe we could hope for UCA to consider jumping from 1AA and taking our place in the SEC should we move to this grand new conference.

Hawgar The Horrible

Midway through 3 pages of banter for something that ain't happening...EVER.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 12, 2016, 06:09:35 pm #119 Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:51:46 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: HogInOklahoma on May 12, 2016, 03:58:55 pm
Would the Big 12 take us.  What do we add.  They have a pretty sweet deal right now.

This has to be a comment meant to "troll" if serious. Are you kidding?

The clock is ticking away on the shelf life of the Big 12 and after a desperate move to add W. Virginia, they are now looking to add two of Houston, Colorado State, UCF and Memphis who they have visited with, though I think it ends up being Cincinnati and Memphis. Any of those teams would likely jump at the opportunity to join but the addition of Arkansas would be a "coup" for the Big 12.

Would Arkansas fit well in the Big 12? Arkansas would be the biggest player with the best fit of anyone that they have been talking to, but that doesn't matter, it won't happen short of the Big 12 guaranteeing Arkansas a minimum pay-out of 31-33 million per year for the next 10 years, and they aren't going to make that guarantee.

But if the Big 12 did make that guarantee and the Big 12 also added either Memphis (most likely) or Cincy, it would form a North Division of Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Arkansas, W. Virginia and one of Memphis or Cincy. Now granted, that isn't the illustrious company that Arkansas has become accustomed to keeping in a Division, but it would be a winnable Division for Arkansas which would likely place them in the CCG most years.

So would we be willing to move to a lesser Conference in a weaker Division that would offer us the chance of being in the CCG most years against the likes of Oklahoma, Baylor or TCU as long as we made as much or more money in revenue distribution each year than we currently do in the SEC? Maybe, maybe not.

Ask Jeff Long.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 05:25:12 pm
I've always thought celebrities shouldn't use their celebrity status for a megaphone. They are entertainers nothing more nothing less. The only two exceptions for them using their status as a celebrity is if something happens within their particular industry and if they are doing something to help others overall.

The question was asked in a hypothetical sense about sports. Sports. Not politics, what we should do with isis, or the debt. Sports. On a sports radio show.

It is no different of a question than "who is your favorite sports star?"

"What would be your dream college football match up?"

Greg is a big garth fan and that was why he was on the show. It wasn't to be a megaphone to rally those to the cause of Arkansas joining the big 12.

You guys take everything way too seriously and I'm willing to bet 95% of you just read that article and didn't listen to the interview.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on May 12, 2016, 10:45:30 am
All four of those teams have been to 5 SEC Championship games (LSU has won 4, Auburn 3, Tennessee and Georgia 2), and when they've won they've usually had a shot a National Championship. They've capitalized on their opportunities and we haven't and that's been the difference between our programs.

They've also managed a consistency in the rankings that we haven't.  At least 3 of them have.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 12, 2016, 05:59:38 pm
Midway through 3 pages of banter for something that ain't happening...EVER.

Given the realignment that has occurred in college football, how can anyone say ever?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 10:56:03 am

Then those people are too sensitive to be listening to the radio or watching TV.

RME

Quote from: Fatty McGee on May 13, 2016, 07:38:55 am
They've also managed a consistency in the rankings that we haven't.  At least 3 of them have.

Shhhh. Don't tell them that. They're the same ones who welcome the idea of bringing Oklahoma, a perennial top 10 football program, into the SEC...because money.

Seriously. More of you are concerned about the paycheck that the SEC cuts us rather than winning games.

rhames

I will say this. The initial thought of joining the big 12 I laughed at. It would have its perks though.

Still will never happen

Cinco de Hogo

There is no stability in the B12.  If we moved to the B12 what would keep OU & OSU from moving to the SEC.  Maybe that's the angle Chris Gaines is working.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 13, 2016, 08:17:55 am
Shhhh. Don't tell them that. They're the same ones who welcome the idea of bringing Oklahoma, a perennial top 10 football program, into the SEC...because money.

Seriously. More of you are concerned about the paycheck that the SEC cuts us rather than winning games.

You're fooling yourself if you think the money doesn't matter. It's needed to stay relevant. But I don't see anyone cheering about dollars. I'd say most of us take pride in knowing we're competing against the highest level of competition there is in college sports. In the eighties we were the champs of everything in the SWC, but when we played national powers like Miami and OU we saw where we really stood on the national stage.

As for adding OU to the SEC, yeah I'd love to see them in the SEC along with Texass. My assumption is they would replace Alabama/Auburn on our annual schedule so strength of schedule wouldn't change significantly. And while I'm perfectly happy playing Alabama/Auburn, OU and Texas are more natural rivals for Arkansas. They're border states, in the heart of our primary recruiting territory, and those are states our Alumni most frequently migrate to after graduation. I don't see them making our life in the SEC any more difficult though.

RME

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on May 13, 2016, 09:46:44 am
You're fooling yourself if you think the money doesn't matter. It's needed to stay relevant. But I don't see anyone cheering about dollars. I'd say most of us take pride in knowing we're competing against the highest level of competition there is in college sports. In the eighties we were the champs of everything in the SWC, but when we played national powers like Miami and OU we saw where we really stood on the national stage.

As for adding OU to the SEC, yeah I'd love to see them in the SEC along with Texass. My assumption is they would replace Alabama/Auburn on our annual schedule so strength of schedule wouldn't change significantly. And while I'm perfectly happy playing Alabama/Auburn, OU and Texas are more natural rivals for Arkansas. They're border states, in the heart of our primary recruiting territory, and those are states our Alumni most frequently migrate to after graduation. I don't see them making our life in the SEC any more difficult though.

I never said money doesn't matter. I said I'd rather Arkansas be in the best position to be in conference championship games and the playoff any given year. There's your payday.

You don't see a year in/year out top 10 Oklahoma team making life any more difficult? Or the possibility of a resurgent Texas in the SEC? Let's go ahead and throw in Clemson and Florida State while we're at it. Make one superconference. That'll bring in a ton of money and better competition, which, according to some of you, will only help Arkansas.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 13, 2016, 10:00:31 am
I never said money doesn't matter. I said I'd rather Arkansas be in the best position to be in conference championship games and the playoff any given year. There's your payday.

You don't see a year in/year out top 10 Oklahoma team making life any more difficult? Or the possibility of a resurgent Texas in the SEC? Let's go ahead and throw in Clemson and Florida State while we're at it. Make one superconference. That'll bring in a ton of money and better competition, which, according to some of you, will only help Arkansas.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

We only play eight conference games a year. How does exchanging Alabama/Auburn for OU/Texas make our schedule any more difficult for us? Mizzou moves West and becomes a Divisional game. Maybe the league increases to nine conference games if the SEC goes to 16, but that increases the difficulty for everyone, not just Arkansas. It's a wash.

Playing an easier schedule puts us in danger of being where TCU/Baylor were last year...left out.

PonderinHog

The "best" scenario for Arkansas is to expand the playoff to 16 teams, no matter the conference.  JMO

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The Kig

Quote from: alohawg on May 11, 2016, 02:33:54 pm
True, the money is better, but the shaft remains, just in a different state.

If you're gonna get screwed, it makes it much more tolerable when it comes from a high dolla ho than a cheap one. 
Poker Porker

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on May 13, 2016, 07:40:48 am
Then those people are too sensitive to be listening to the radio or watching TV.

Then interviewing someone NOT connected with sports only because they are a celebrity of another type is not true "sports journalism" and only a grab for ratings.

hogcard1964

Hawgzinbowlz

Not just no but...he!! no.

When the playoff is expanded to 8 we'll have our opportunities.

" GO HOGS "

rhog1

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/5/13/11669456/arkansas-moving-big-12-again-nope-realignment-expansion

Barry Switzer says he always wanted to dump Colorado for Arkansas. Houston Nutt says he liked the idea of moving to the Big 12 because he could keep a job for 15 years. :puke:

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 13, 2016, 12:07:20 pm
Then interviewing someone NOT connected with sports only because they are a celebrity of another type is not true "sports journalism" and only a grab for ratings.

You sound like a fun guy.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhog1 on May 13, 2016, 02:21:25 pm
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/5/13/11669456/arkansas-moving-big-12-again-nope-realignment-expansion

Barry Switzer says he always wanted to dump Colorado for Arkansas. Houston Nutt says he liked the idea of moving to the Big 12 because he could keep a job for 15 years. :puke:

In can't figure out what Iowa St brings to the Big 12.  They're in the middle of nothing and are one of the worst programs historically in college football.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 13, 2016, 02:26:44 pm
In can't figure out what Iowa St brings to the Big 12.  They're in the middle of nothing and are one of the worst programs historically in college football.
They also are one of the few AAU members in the Big 12 and the third largest University.

jm

Why would Arkansas (or any one else) want to join the Texas league.  Arkansas, Nebraska etc joined other conferences for a reason.

Athog

Ben

It would be awesome in the sense that Arkansas actually has a better chance at winning a conference title and putting themselves in position to be ranked high more consistently. Lord knows we have been mediocre in the SEC. 86-110 conference record since joining in 1992 and only have more bowl wins as an SEC school then Kentucky and Vanderbilt since 1992, not counting the 2012 expansion teams. We really are just in the SEC for the money and to ride the coattails of other teams success in the SEC. We don't contribute that much to the SEC name.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on May 13, 2016, 08:17:55 am

PREACH. Money is only making the University and the Employees happy, not the fans when we are being mediocre and constantly complaining about rarely winning anything significant like we were before joining the SEC. I forgot what a conference championship felt like.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

LZH

Quote from: Ben on May 14, 2016, 03:39:31 pm
PREACH. Money is only making the University and the Employees happy, not the fans when we are being mediocre and constantly complaining about rarely winning anything significant like we were before joining the SEC. I forgot what a conference championship felt like.

Good Lord. You need to blame HDN for most of our SEC mediocrity. Petrino had us heading in the right direction, and BB looks to be doing the same thing. Which brings up a question, do you honestly think Bielema would have even considered leaving Wisconsin to coach at Arkansas had we not been in the SEC?

And what in the hell did we win that was so significant before we joined the conference anyway? Getting ass-raped on National Television in the Cotton Bowl (mostly because our schedule was so damn soft) does not constitute winning anything "significant".

HogimusMaximus

Go to hell you turncoats.  Coach Bert is getting better, are you?

Paul

Quote from: Ben on May 14, 2016, 03:33:38 pm
It would be awesome in the sense that Arkansas actually has a better chance at winning a conference title and putting themselves in position to be ranked high more consistently. Lord knows we have been mediocre in the SEC. 86-110 conference record since joining in 1992 and only have more bowl wins as an SEC school then Kentucky and Vanderbilt since 1992, not counting the 2012 expansion teams. We really are just in the SEC for the money and to ride the coattails of other teams success in the SEC. We don't contribute that much to the SEC name.
in football were doing better.  We won a Natty in BB 3 yrs after we entered the SEC & have won how many track championships?  SEC fans know were a excellent member of the conference unlike some posters(notice I didn't say "fans).

Justifiable Hogicide

Leaving the SEC for the Big12 should be put in the same barrel with playing ASU, sealed and thrown in a toxic landfill to be buried for good.

PonderinHog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on May 14, 2016, 06:35:58 pm
Good Lord. You need to blame HDN for most of our SEC mediocrity. Petrino had us heading in the right direction, and BB looks to be doing the same thing. Which brings up a question, do you honestly think Bielema would have even considered leaving Wisconsin to coach at Arkansas had we not been in the SEC?

And what in the hell did we win that was so significant before we joined the conference anyway? Getting ass-raped on National Television in the Cotton Bowl (mostly because our schedule was so damn soft) does not constitute winning anything "significant".

Not to digress from the topic, but everyone thought that Petrino had us headed in the right direction and without a doubt his ability to put together a good offensive game plan cannot be denied. But his recruiting had us headed in a different direction that he wasn't here long enough to take credit for when the crows came home to roost.

Then, with a change in HC's and the offensive philosophy and the personnel required to execute that scheme on both sides of the ball, we have Bielema, trying to put all of the jigsaw pieces together in not just one single year, but year after year while recruiting against the very best in the country and not just our conference. Something tells me that with a couple of double digit win seasons in the Big 12 our recruiting would improve over who we have to compete against in the SEC. But that's just an opinion and a projection, not necessarily to be considered fact.

I think we would have far more success in terms of overall wins and losses in the Big 12 than we have in the SEC and we might be able to build a reputation as a team that is a favorite every year for winning our division, being more highly ranked, having a higher recruiting ranking and drawing more elite players, going to a CCG and possibly being projected to go to the play offs. But if that happened we couldn't take pride in being a part of the SEC West and coming in anywhere from 3rd to 5th in the West almost every year.

Just saying, if we could make as much or more money by making a move to the Big 12 as opposed to laboring every year in the SEC West where the odds are that we aren't going to the SECCG most years, I would be good with that.
Go Hogs Go!