Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garth and others say Ark needs to go to the Big 12

Started by DeltaBoy, May 11, 2016, 11:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/may/11/garth-brooks-says-arkansas-would-make-sense-big-12/?f=sports

I wish Butch Davis and the rest of the folks would drop this mess !!! We are in the SEC and that where we need to stay.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbacker3

There probably won't even be a BIG 12 in the next few years.

Razorbackers

DeltaBoy

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 11, 2016, 11:15:23 am
There probably won't even be a BIG 12 in the next few years.

It might not be and it they had treated us better back in the SWC days we might have never left.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hoghiker

It's a tired argument. Be like going off to college but going home to date high school girls. you can do it but why?

phadedhawg

As much sense as it makes it would be horrible to leave the SEC.  It is where big time college football is played.  We always struggle in our division but I'd rather be playing the big boys instead of Big 12 schools.  They have some decent teams and there would be plenty of dates to circle but not like the SEC.  Every week is a brawl. 

Hogs33

Does it make SOME sense, yes, geography wise and renewing old rivalries but I believe we have beat'n this dead horse before. We should stay in the SEC.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

Hogs33

PorkRinds

It would be great for the B12, but terrible for Arkansas.  The LHN and Texas have basically killed the B12.

DeltaBoy

Torqued pork

I've read columns and blogs where the writer suggests the Big XII should go after Arkansas and LSU. They really have an inflated view of their conference.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 11, 2016, 11:22:52 am
It might not be and it they had treated us better back in the SWC days we might have never left.

Ummm. We left for greener pastures. No more no less. Had nothing to do with how we were "treated".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

So an oklahomoan says we should go to the little 12 YET his school (oklahomo state) would do ANYTHING to get out of it.................Tell me again why he matters? He doesn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 11:55:40 am
Ummm. We left for greener pastures. No more no less. Had nothing to do with how we were "treated".

Frank left for the Money and he was tired about us being shafted by the all Texas Zebra Crews.

Inhogswetrust

May 11, 2016, 12:03:00 pm #15 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:29:48 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hogs33 on May 11, 2016, 11:25:54 am
Does it make SOME sense, yes, geography wise and renewing old rivalries but I believe we have beat'n this dead horse before. We should stay in the SEC.

Geography wise we already play teams that borders Arkansas "right next door" with TAMU, LSU, Mizzou, Old Miss and Miss State as well as Tenner every once in a while. This geography crap belongs in the crapper.

Hogarusa

Quote from: hoghiker on May 11, 2016, 11:25:23 am
It's a tired argument. Be like going off to college but going home to date high school girls. you can do it but why?

Because you can actually score with the high school girls?

Money rules the world though, so obviously will never happen
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 11, 2016, 11:58:02 am
Frank left for the Money and he was tired about us being shafted by the all Texas Zebra Crews.

Really. Did you hear Frank say that? I don't remember him saying that. The money potential was maybe a factor but not officiating. It was because the SEC was the stronger more stable conference even back then with more upside for the future that Frank had the foresight to be able to see.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 11, 2016, 12:03:25 pm
Because you can actually score with the high school girls?

Money rules the world though, so obviously will never happen

If you couldn't score with college girls then you shouldn't have been in college............................

Suidae Suis Scrofa

If this happened I would drive up to Fayetteville to personally pack Jeff Long's bags for his move to a new job.

-phil

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 11, 2016, 12:13:48 pm
If this happened I would drive up to Fayetteville to personally pack Jeff Long's bags for his move to a new job.

-phil

Amen! They could then kiss my season tickets and athletic donations goodbye. I am a Hog fan and Alum and would still donate to the academic side as always BUT I don't want to play or be affiliated with the little 12. They can go !@#$ themselves.

Buff

Garth's reasoning is that "they're right next door".  By that logic maybe LSU should join up as well.  And then they can go after Mississippi State because they'll be right next door too.

Doug

Quote from: Suidae Suis ScrofaIf this happened I would drive up to Fayetteville to personally pack Jeff Long's bags for his move to a new job.
Know what your statement tells me?

That you have absolutely NO clue about how conference changes work. None.

It's not the Athletic Directors that make the decisions to change conferences. Advise those in charge of making the decisions, sure. But not the one that makes that decision. Who holds that power?

The University System Administration President (Bobbitt) and the School's Chancellor (Steinmetz).

By all means, please continue your seething hatred of that "yankee", Jeff Long. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 11, 2016, 12:13:48 pm

-phil

Hahaha.

Yea, we'd never ever ever win a national championship in the big 12.  Teams from the big 12 can occasionally make it into the playoffs but you know they're just gonna get smacked.  At least if we ever did somehow make it to the playoffs we'd have a chance coming from the sec.  I'd rather go acc (our basketball program would probably take off) of the big ten (they are becoming formidable in football)

Hogs run wild

That last year we were in the SWC, seems we got shafted every game. TCU game really stands out.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Hogs33

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 12:03:00 pm
Geography wise we already paly teams that borders arkansas with TAMU, LSU, Mizzou, Old Miss and Miss State as well as Tenner every once in a while. This geography crap belongs in the crapper.

I agree! but I also see the Big 12 side too.

GuvHog

Hammer meat nail. +1
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 12:06:41 pm
Really. Did you hear Frank say that? I don't remember him saying that. The money potential was maybe a factor but not officiating. It was because the SEC was the stronger more stable conference even back then with more upside for the future that Frank had the foresight to be able to see.

Frank couldn't publicly say that due to the gag rule on discussing officiating. The money was the main reason but the biased Texas officiating was part of it too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on May 11, 2016, 12:34:22 pm
Know what your statement tells me?

That you have absolutely NO clue about how conference changes work. None.

It's not the Athletic Directors that make the decisions to change conferences. Advise those in charge of making the decisions, sure. But not the one that makes that decision. Who holds that power?

The University System Administration President (Bobbitt) and the School's Chancellor (Steinmetz).

By all means, please continue your seething hatred of that "yankee", Jeff Long. :)

I'm thinking his post was more along the line of finding someone there to take his frustrations out on since he don't like the idea.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 12:07:32 pm
If you couldn't score with college girls then you shouldn't have been in college............................

Some folks arent as smooth and successful at recruiting as others.  Have to get the 2-3 stars instead of the 5 stars. 

If Hogs had 1 SEC title over the past 5-10 seasons in football, this would be a non discussion.  Hog fans also wouldnt need to explain to anyone if moving to the Big 12 resulted in a conference title in the first 5 years.  1) money 2) winning
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 11, 2016, 01:11:40 pm
Frank couldn't publicly say that due to the gag rule on discussing officiating. The money was the main reason but the biased Texas officiating was part of it too.

The tejas officiating thing had been resolved prior to any SEC move IIRC. Either way that would have been a VERY minuscule issue even if it truly was an issue. IF officiating was so bad there then why do people here complain so vehemently about SEC refs.................

Hogfan1660

Quote from: Razorbackers on May 11, 2016, 11:22:29 am
This is his worst idea since Chris Gaines

Or getting married to that Lard A$$ Trisha Yearwood!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogs33 on May 11, 2016, 12:55:06 pm
I agree! but I also see the Big 12 side too.

The only ones that care about the little 12 is.......................the little 12. Heck even the ACC has surpassed them in a lot of peoples minds.

lahawg1

We received ~$31M from the SEC network last year, remind me what the LHN shared with the other members of their conference. 

ricepig

Quote from: lahawg1 on May 11, 2016, 02:01:24 pm
We received ~$31M from the SEC network last year, remind me what the LHN shared with the other members of their conference. 

We received $31m from the conference.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12974161/southeastern-conference-distribute-record-435m-revenue-member-schools

King Kong

If the Big 12 guarantees to pay us whatever the SEC teams get each season lets do it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 01:34:44 pm
The tejas officiating thing had been resolved prior to any SEC move IIRC. Either way that would have been a VERY minuscule issue even if it truly was an issue. IF officiating was so bad there then why do people here complain so vehemently about SEC refs.................

We did not have Hogville to voice our dispeasure about the Zebras in the SWC but I remember Oville talking about it.

alohawg

True, the money is better, but the shaft remains, just in a different state.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DeltaBoy

Quote from: alohawg on May 11, 2016, 02:33:54 pm
True, the money is better, but the shaft remains, just in a different state.

Yep it happens against FLA and I feel a few no calls against BAMA that helped them. But I been pretty happy with the SEC boys except for Curles .

ricepig

DeltaBoy

regi

Texas arrogance killed the SW C, killed the original Big12, now it is killing the current ghetto Big12. I see the only real change being OU, after 20 years, finally growing tired of Texas' crap, and their AD and some other power brokers grasping qt life lines.

regi

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 02:49:54 pm
I'll just leave this here......

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/730484424039501825

Well most certainly the UofA and the Southern State of Arkansas, should be interested in the self preservation of a 6-6 Coach. Unreal.

lstewart

I completely understand why Big 12 members, fans, and media would mention the hogs as a program to target for expansion. We have a good bit of history with most of their members, and still have some old fires left over from the SWC days. That said, it makes no financial sense for us to consider moving, unless we were sure we would make at least as much annual revenue for all the hog athletic programs. I don't know what the Big 12 awards to their members, but I would bet it is not even in the ballpark of what we collect now. The Big 12 has some big name teams, so football and basketball would still be good. We would probably win a few more football games, maybe a few less basketball games. Across the board athletics, it would probably be fine, assuming the money was there. But... the money is not there.

RME

Are you guys more interested in receiving more money or winning more football games?

I'm not advocating a jump to the Big 12 by any means, but historically Arkansas has struggled in the West in years when Alabama and LSU are at the top of their game. That's not an opinion, that's not pessimism, that's a fact.

I'm an Arkansas fan, not an SEC fan. Whatever gives Arkansas the best chance at reaching conference championship games and the playoff, then that's what I'd prefer. Yeah, it's nice to be able to say you play against the best week in and week out. But I'd rather be able to say we have a legitimate shot at winning our conference and making the playoff any given year.

That's just me though. I'm more interested in winning games than receiving payouts.

Vantage 8 dude

My only real question is: And we should care about Garth's opinion concerning the Hogs and the Big 12 how ??? :-\ :-X

HAWG MAFIA

talk to another board. Hogs are in the SEC for good.

dsgreen

taking too much b12 can cause nerve damage

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 11, 2016, 11:28:00 am
It would be great for the B12, but terrible for Arkansas.  The LHN and Texas have basically killed the B12.

This^^^^ times a 1000!
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Hogs33

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 11, 2016, 04:16:17 pm
My only real question is: And we should care about Garth's opinion concerning the Hogs and the Big 12 how ??? :-\ :-X

You could ask the same thing about anyone who posts here ole Hogville, but yet people still read and listen.