Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McKinney Texas To Build $62.8 Million Dollar Stadium

Started by Hawgzinbowlz, May 09, 2016, 07:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 10, 2016, 09:00:58 am
Yes, I've moved to Dallas back in 1981 when the DFW MSA was barely 1.5MM and have watched it grow to over 7.5MM (and its still growing/expanding) to the 4th largest MSA in the U.S. (right behind New York,Los Angeles, Chicago).    It will likely eclipse Chicago within the next 10 years and be in third place.    The top 3 cities have geographic issues (oceans, a great lake, mountains, etc.) which limit their growth, whereas DFW only has the state line of Oklahoma to impede its growth.   Oklahoma has literally become a parking lot for DFW......    Regardless, I can't wait to move back to NWA................

Geographic "limits" such as those you mention are only a very small part of why some cities have not grown as fast as others. Don't' forget they can always grow vertically instead of horizontally. Populations can be denser, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 11:17:35 am
I remember when hotels were as cheap as $15,000 per room to build........now cheap ones can easily cost $100,000 per room and expensive ones can be a LOT more than that! In some places as much as $1,000,000 per room or more.

Yes We built the Mid Delta Health Center in Clarendon in the Early 1980s for less than 150,000 dollars and then new one they built a few years ago cost right at 1 million.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SantaHog

#4 on that coaching salaries list, Tony Tademy, was middle linebacker on Jacksonville's 1976 State Championship Football Team.  He was linebackers coach at TCU until he took the high school job to be able to spend more time with his kids going through school. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SantaHog on May 10, 2016, 11:25:16 am
#4 on that coaching salaries list, Tony Tademy, was middle linebacker on Jacksonville's 1976 State Championship Football Team.  He was linebackers coach at TCU until he took the high school job to be able to spend more time with his kids going through school. 

Speaking of Jacksonville coaching alums is Scott Reed still the coach at Eldorado?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

go hogues

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 10, 2016, 09:00:58 am
Yes, I've moved to Dallas back in 1981 when the DFW MSA was barely 1.5MM and have watched it grow to over 7.5MM (and its still growing/expanding) to the 4th largest MSA in the U.S. (right behind New York,Los Angeles, Chicago).    It will likely eclipse Chicago within the next 10 years and be in third place.    The top 3 cities have geographic issues (oceans, a great lake, mountains, etc.) which limit their growth, whereas DFW only has the state line of Oklahoma to impede its growth.   Oklahoma has literally become a parking lot for DFW......    Regardless, I can't wait to move back to NWA................
That won't change the fact that it's still America's most anonymous urban area. NY/LA/CHI all have character and history. Dallas has freeways and restaurant chains.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mizzouman

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 10, 2016, 08:31:25 am
Things cost money dude. Hell little Quitman Ar spent a little over $5 million for a basic gym this year that seats 1500.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/nov/01/open-house-nov-10-quitman-facility/?f=rivervalley
You mean to tell things aren't free?  Dang...no wonder.

BigSexyHog

Everytime  we try and have a legitimate sports topic someone  always has to come along and screw it up by talking about the band..... Just stop it
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

DLUXHOG

Quote from: go hogues on May 10, 2016, 12:18:05 pm
That won't change the fact that it's still America's most anonymous urban area. NY/LA/CHI all have character and history. Dallas has freeways and restaurant chains.

Oh.. but Dallas has this \/.... and that's about all...

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

We are PROUD of our Bands in TEXAS!!!!  My daughter Cheered 6 years and was in Band 6 years.  It was great to see a Band set up 20 yard line to the other 20 yard line.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

southarkhog06

I wish educating kids was worth as much as football.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 10, 2016, 02:55:39 pm

We have the best tools and stuff a kid needs to learn but if he and his parents don't care then no amount of money will fix STUPID!  My Kid has Dyslexia and finished 16-99 and has a scholarship to a fine 4 year college here in Texas.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 11:20:25 am
Geographic "limits" such as those you mention are only a very small part of why some cities have not grown as fast as others. Don't' forget they can always grow vertically instead of horizontally. Populations can be denser, etc.

Yep......see Miami, for example. Unbelievable what has happened over the past 10-15 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2016, 09:40:52 pm
Hmmmmm.

As college football evolves into a minor league, could high school football blow up as a spectator sport?

No. Think about how few people are in Arvest Ballpark most nights to see a collection of AA ball players.  Now take 200+ schools in AR playing football. Outside of parents, a few boosters, and aging ex-players wanting to relive the glory of Friday night, people are not going to travel to watch a bunch of kids that are just that, a bunch of kids playing football.

Now, in a place like Allen or McKinney TX, yea, they will come watch that, but even then it is mostly folks from the community. I doubt many people, other than fans of the visiting team, come from more than 30 miles away even in those places.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 10, 2016, 03:27:43 pm
No. Think about how few people are in Arvest Ballpark most nights to see a collection of AA ball players.  Now take 200+ schools in AR playing football. Outside of parents, a few boosters, and aging ex-players wanting to relive the glory of Friday night, people are not going to travel to watch a bunch of kids that are just that, a bunch of kids playing football.

Now, in a place like Allen or McKinney TX, yea, they will come watch that, but even then it is mostly folks from the community. I doubt many people, other than fans of the visiting team, come from more than 30 miles away even in those places.

Unless it a rival game 4A and up in Texas has poor visitors attendance .   We been in 4A 2 years and we had 2 games where there were less than 20 folks on the vistors side unless you count the Band and Cheerleaders.

hogsanity

No one is going to show up to slap each other on the back and talk about the school's GPA. But they will show up in droves to slap backs and talk about the night they ran back a pick 100 yards against hole in the road consolidated in a game they lost 42-6 during a 0-10 season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ImHogginIt

Quote from: go hogues on May 10, 2016, 12:18:05 pm

And the hottest women on the planet everywhere you go in the metroplex

Pigsknuckles

I'm sure there are some Texas HS teams we best never include in our OOC schedule.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HOGGISHABOUTAR

I had to do a convention in Dallas a few weeks ago, so I took a trip up to Allen to look at their stadium. Holy Freakin Shmolly !!!! Very Impressive! Gave me a woody. It makes Bentonville High Schools stadium look like a high school stadium.

TXHog5

I played football at the newest McKinney High School (McKinney Boyd) 6 years ago and this stadium is going to be built just down the road from where I live. My Dad was at every meeting and I think my mom spent all day this past Saturday calling people and telling them to go vote. The current McKinney stadium is a dump compared to the rest of the district so a new stadium is desperately needed and I think this is just a matter of having to "keep up" with every other football stadium that has been built in the north Dallas suburbs (Plano, Allen, Frisco). Knowing first hand the amount of fans that will attend home games I won't be surprised if some games the stadium is half empty, especially McKinney High who was won like four total games the past two years. The plus side is the population growth of the city, someone earlier mentioned he didn't think the population will ever reach 200k, but the city is only half built out and is expected to be reach 330k+ when its fully developed.

Inhogswetrust

Without the school for educating them the stadium would not have been built.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TXHog5 on May 10, 2016, 09:13:42 pm
I played football at the newest McKinney High School (McKinney Boyd) 6 years ago and this stadium is going to be built just down the road from where I live. My Dad was at every meeting and I think my mom spent all day this past Saturday calling people and telling them to go vote. The current McKinney stadium is a dump compared to the rest of the district so a new stadium is desperately needed and I think this is just a matter of having to "keep up" with every other football stadium that has been built in the north Dallas suburbs (Plano, Allen, Frisco). Knowing first hand the amount of fans that will attend home games I won't be surprised if some games the stadium is half empty, especially McKinney High who was won like four total games the past two years. The plus side is the population growth of the city, someone earlier mentioned he didn't think the population will ever reach 200k, but the city is only half built out and is expected to be reach 330k+ when its fully developed.

Just because your neighbor dives a Bentley doesn't mean you have to..............................IF I was a parent there I would be more concerned about the academic ranking of my kids school versus the others.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 06:04:34 am
Just because your neighbor dives a Bentley doesn't mean you have to..............................IF I was a parent there I would be more concerned about the academic ranking of my kids school versus the others.

The same could be said of our expansion.......and I'm for it.

Inhogswetrust

May 11, 2016, 06:32:14 am #72 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:51:30 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 06:14:41 am

The same could be said of our expansion.......and I'm for it.

I understated the "keep up with the jones" mentality and desire. The difference in college and high school sports is where does the money come from and does scholarships play a role. High school students don't "pay" in the traditional sense for their education through tuition and other expensive fees unless they go to a private school. There are many sources for college sports money including major TV deals. Plus the number of fans attending, millions in donations and booster club givings. IF a local high school wants to do that then fine. Hiwever the question is does high school sports success really make that much difference in the local community or does a school with higher academic standings.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 06:32:14 am
I understated the "keep up with the jones" mentality and desire. The difference in college and high school sports is where does the money come from and does scholarships play a role. High school students don't "pay" in the traditional sense for their education through tuition and other expensive fees unless they go to a private school. There are many sources for college sports money including major TV deals. Plus the number of fans attending, millions in donations and booster club givings. IF a local high school wants to do that then fine. Hiwever the question is does high school sports success really make that much difference in the local community or does a school with higher academic standings.

Well, I don't remember seeing a TV show based on the Math department, on Friday Night's. Also, who's to say you can't have both? The voters approved it, so I guess they've made their choice.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 07:06:21 am
Well, I don't remember seeing a TV show based on the Math department, on Friday Night's. Also, who's to say you can't have both? The voters approved it, so I guess they've made their choice.

A LOT of families move in or out of communities based on the schools academics and such. You mentioned the biggest difference though................voters don't have to vote or need to vote on college sports usually.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 07:11:49 am
A LOT of families move in or out of communities based on the schools academics and such. You mentioned the biggest difference though................voters don't have to vote or need to vote on college sports usually.

And.......if they've not happy with the academics in McKinney, they'll move.

BPsTheMan

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

dhizzle

Must not be very many hungry kids in that district. I love football just as much as the next guy but 62 million. I know it cost lots of money to build but really it's just a pissing contest.

southarkhog06

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 10, 2016, 03:00:53 pm
We have the best tools and stuff a kid needs to learn but if he and his parents don't care then no amount of money will fix STUPID!  My Kid has Dyslexia and finished 16-99 and has a scholarship to a fine 4 year college here in Texas.
that's because they care more about football.

southarkhog06

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 07:20:42 am

or the parents care more about football than their child's academics.

Whiskeyhog

We can't even get the people in my hometown to approve an upgrade to the high school that has been around for over 50 years.  It wasn't until the middle school was deemed unsafe before they built a new one. 

Inhogswetrust

Of course but very few move due to athletics........unless their kid is a super star athlete at that age and the current school they are in is not known for it. It happens but rarely compared to academics.

DeltaBoy

I got a cousin who a SR at Hebron in McKinney ISD and they have over 5,000 studnets in his HS.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 09:17:39 am
Of course but very few move due to athletics........unless their kid is a super star athlete at that age and the current school they are in is not known for it. It happens but rarely compared to academics.

Oh, really???  You don't keep up with high school football in Arkansas, then, lol. Now, the stated reason is academics, because you can't move for athletics, but it happens at nearly every school in the state. Our local high school will have around 8-10 move in or out do to sports.

ricepig

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 11, 2016, 09:04:03 am
or the parents care more about football than their child's academics.

Now, I'm not advocating one way or another on the stadium, but what is the district's academic standing?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 10:26:01 am
Oh, really???  You don't keep up with high school football in Arkansas, then, lol. Now, the stated reason is academics, because you can't move for athletics, but it happens at nearly every school in the state. Our local high school will have around 8-10 move in or out do to sports.

Moving for athletics is done by the best players for the most part but usually only after they get into high school. That 8 to 10 movement is a small percentage of the total student population and of these moving. My reference is more for those parents that as their kid gets older they try to get them in a good school from the very beginning. People have moved to our neighborhood and suburb for example but generally not with older high school age kids. They have younger kids they want to go to a good school throughout their school age from the beginning. That's one reason why a lot of suburbs have grown so much.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 10:32:54 am
Moving for athletics is done by the best players for the most part but usually only after they get into high school. That 8 to 10 movement is a small percentage of the total student population and of these moving. My reference is more for those parents that as their kid gets older they try to get them in a good school from the very beginning. People have moved to our neighborhood and suburb for example but generally not with older high school age kids. They have younger kids they want to go to a good school throughout their school age from the beginning. That's one reason why a lot of suburbs have grown so much.

Not really, with school choice in Arkansas, the movement has increased a lot, although it is capped. As far as 8-10, that about 12-14% of the annual football roster, I'd say that's more than just average. As far as the transfers being just the best players, it works both ways, we lose several to the area's smaller schools so they can play, instead of riding the bench.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 09:17:39 am

Kids move all the time for athletics, and often it is from larger schools to smaller ones so they can get playing time. It is not always the super star type that wants to play on a bigger stage, it is often the guy behind the super star or behind the guy behind the guy behind the super star that will move just to get off the bench

DeltaBoy

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 10:28:12 am
Now, I'm not advocating one way or another on the stadium, but what is the district's academic standing?

Don't know specific rankings and don't care to use the googles. McKinney, Plano, Allen, Frisco.. . Hell, most suburbs in DFW are really good schools. You don't see many middle and upper middle class kids going to private schools down here.  Parents are very happy with the public schools.

I'm very happy with everything here in Allen and the surrounding burbs. We have a lot of good paying jobs so I hope Arkansas continues to send us a large number of their best and brightest college grads to help us continue growing  :D

Inhogswetrust

Yep.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 11, 2016, 10:39:57 am
Not really, with school choice in Arkansas, the movement has increased a lot, although it is capped. As far as 8-10, that about 12-14% of the annual football roster, I'd say that's more than just average. As far as the transfers being just the best players, it works both ways, we lose several to the area's smaller schools so they can play, instead of riding the bench.

Quote from: hogsanity on May 11, 2016, 11:39:20 am
Kids move all the time for athletics, and often it is from larger schools to smaller ones so they can get playing time. It is not always the super star type that wants to play on a bigger stage, it is often the guy behind the super star or behind the guy behind the guy behind the super star that will move just to get off the bench

IF a parent lets a kid move from a better academic school to one not as good simply over being able to play athletics(and I'm not saying thats happening all the time with athletic movement) then there is a parenting problem.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 11, 2016, 12:05:20 pm
Don't know specific rankings and don't care to use the googles. McKinney, Plano, Allen, Frisco.. . Hell, most suburbs in DFW are really good schools. You don't see many middle and upper middle class kids going to private schools down here.  Parents are very happy with the public schools.

I'm very happy with everything here in Allen and the surrounding burbs. We have a lot of good paying jobs so I hope Arkansas continues to send us a large number of their best and brightest college grads to help us continue growing  :D

Oh, I'm sure they're good, that's where half of are incoming freshman classes come from, those that can't get in aTm or Texass.

yraciv

Other than the fact the original Mean Girls went o McKinney....those schools are pretty good and have a lot of money flowing through them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fab_Five:_The_Texas_Cheerleader_Scandal

DeltaBoy

Heard today that 8 different HS will playing there.  4A and up in Texas they have Thur , Friday and Sat games.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 12:14:27 pm
IF a parent lets a kid move from a better academic school to one not as good simply over being able to play athletics(and I'm not saying thats happening all the time with athletic movement) then there is a parenting problem.

If you only knew what parents do in the name of athletics. Parents hold their sons back a year in elementary school so they will be a year older than most of the non-athletes and females in their class. I have seen this time and again among the boys my son played baseball with as 6-10 yr olds. There was a documentary made about Massillon Ohio football, and that was part of the story, almost all of the boys in that town get a elementary red shirt ( movie was called Go tigers, if you can find it it's a good watch ). That is just one example.

When a parent is looking at moving schools due to athletics, you can bet academics is not high on their list of standards.

SantaHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 11:59:56 am
Speaking of Jacksonville coaching alums is Scott Reed still the coach at Eldorado?

Yes, Scott is still at El Dorado.  His older son, Taylor, is a Graduate Assistant at Arkansas.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: mizzouman on May 10, 2016, 08:16:18 am
All that money for high school sports is irresponsible.
I concur, living here and seeing kids without textbooks, classrooms with 35+ kids! cutting bus services, very high property tax rates! It is a complete mismanagement of priorities to have all these palaces where they play HIGH SCHOOL football! As an official I love the accommodations and what have you, but most just leave me shaking my head about what that money could have been used for in educating kids in things other than football and athletics.

Also I played my HS ball in probably one of the 5 best on campus facilities in Arkansas back in the day at Morrilton, but most 2A schools around here have better.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 11, 2016, 07:01:20 pm
I concur, living here and seeing kids without textbooks, classrooms with 35+ kids! cutting bus services, very high property tax rates! It is a complete mismanagement of priorities to have all these palaces where they play HIGH SCHOOL football! As an official I love the accommodations and what have you, but most just leave me shaking my head about what that money could have been used for in educating kids in things other than football and athletics.

What school district do you live in ? Obviously not McKinney, Allen, Frisco, ect...