Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McKinney Texas To Build $62.8 Million Dollar Stadium

Started by Hawgzinbowlz, May 09, 2016, 07:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 11, 2016, 07:05:10 pm
What school district do you live in ? Obviously not McKinney, Allen, Frisco, ect...
South of the metroplex, my district has 3 brand new schools including the high school complete with a huge lighted dome that serves 0 purpose, while 4 still usable schools sit rotting mostly unused. It's not just athletic fields where these mismanaged priorities appear. A new school building however adds much more educational value than a new stadium.

HOGGISHABOUTAR

Quote from: Whiskeyhog on May 11, 2016, 09:06:24 am
We can't even get the people in my hometown to approve an upgrade to the high school that has been around for over 50 years.  It wasn't until the middle school was deemed unsafe before they built a new one.
Do you live in Bartlett, TN ??? Oh nevermind our school has been around for about 80 years, very few upgrades.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 11, 2016, 07:21:26 pm
South of the metroplex, my district has 3 brand new schools including the high school complete with a huge lighted dome that serves 0 purpose, while 4 still usable schools sit rotting mostly unused. It's not just athletic fields where these mismanaged priorities appear. A new school building however adds much more educational value than a new stadium.

What school district ?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on May 11, 2016, 03:34:49 pm
If you only knew what parents do in the name of athletics. Parents hold their sons back a year in elementary school so they will be a year older than most of the non-athletes and females in their class. I have seen this time and again among the boys my son played baseball with as 6-10 yr olds. There was a documentary made about Massillon Ohio football, and that was part of the story, almost all of the boys in that town get a elementary red shirt ( movie was called Go tigers, if you can find it it's a good watch ). That is just one example.

When a parent is looking at moving schools due to athletics, you can bet academics is not high on their list of standards.

I DO know what some idiot parents do in the name of athletics. I don't live under a rock. Your last sentence says it all and it's sad it is like that for some kids.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SantaHog on May 11, 2016, 03:47:46 pm
Yes, Scott is still at El Dorado.  His older son, Taylor, is a Graduate Assistant at Arkansas.

Thanks. His dad Bill was the coach at Jacksonville when I graduated in 1975.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 07:46:23 am
I DO know what some idiot parents do in the name of athletics. I don't live under a rock. Your last sentence says it all and it's sad it is like that for some kids.

The "best" are the ones who start talking about scholarships when their kids are like 8 or 9. I had a dad on a youth team I was coaching that talked about it all the time, one day I finally told him that while it was possible, he might want to make that plan D for paying for college. 2 years later the kid was not playing any sport.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on May 12, 2016, 08:33:30 am
The "best" are the ones who start talking about scholarships when their kids are like 8 or 9. I had a dad on a youth team I was coaching that talked about it all the time, one day I finally told him that while it was possible, he might want to make that plan D for paying for college. 2 years later the kid was not playing any sport.

He would have been an All-American if you hadn't busted their balloon, you should be ashamed.......

SantaHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 07:49:12 am
Thanks. His dad Bill was the coach at Jacksonville when I graduated in 1975.

I graduated from Jacksonville in 1981. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 09:10:33 am
He would have been an All-American if you hadn't busted their balloon, you should be ashamed.......

I am sure I should be ashamed of something, but not that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 09:10:33 am

Maybe he'll do something even better like that the kid might have really wanted to do.......................win a Nobel prize, cure cancer, invent a perpetual motion machine, etc.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SantaHog on May 12, 2016, 09:30:12 am
I graduated from Jacksonville in 1981. 

Sorry to get off topic and just curious but how do you feel about them finally getting their own School district?

FineAsSwine

Highland Park was the big beast back when I was a Forney Jackrabbit (or at least my kids were). They were the money program. We Jackrabbits were jealous.

I can see how this monstrosity of a high school stadium could happen in that football crazy place. I have watched pee wee coaches break down and cry like babies after falling short in a playoff or championship game. Those people need to chill. I would carefully consider before I would move into an area carrying that big of a tax bill for a high school stadium.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 09:56:58 am
Maybe he'll do something even better like that the kid might have really wanted to do.......................win a Nobel prize, cure cancer, invent a perpetual motion machine, etc.

When mine were young, they really wanted to be pro's in some sport, no need for some jerk to spoil it while they're young.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 10:53:19 am
When mine were young, they really wanted to be pro's in some sport, no need for some jerk to spoil it while they're young.

Completely agree. A lot of kids want to play pro sports. However the reality of the difficulty in getting there should be taught AND it should be taught to simply have fun playing sports at that age.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 12, 2016, 10:13:10 am
Highland Park was the big beast back when I was a Forney Jackrabbit (or at least my kids were). They were the money program. We Jackrabbits were jealous.

I can see how this monstrosity of a high school stadium could happen in that football crazy place. I have watched pee wee coaches break down and cry like babies after falling short in a playoff or championship game. Those people need to chill. I would carefully consider before I would move into an area carrying that big of a tax bill for a high school stadium.

Well then stay in Little Rock where you also get to pay a state income tax  :-*

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 12, 2016, 10:57:59 am
Completely agree. A lot of kids want to play pro sports. However the reality of the difficulty in getting there should be taught AND it should be taught to simply have fun playing sports at that age.

Who says they weren't having fun playing? The move to 90ft bases in baseball, Jr high in football and basketball will usually let the cream rise to the top, no need to tell a 10yr old to quit and join the chess team if he enjoys sports.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 11:06:01 am
Who says they weren't having fun playing? The move to 90ft bases in baseball, Jr high in football and basketball will usually let the cream rise to the top, no need to tell a 10yr old to quit and join the chess team if he enjoys sports.

I didn't say quit. I simply said teach them the reality of the difficulty of getting to the pros. It's usually the parents that push kids to take sports too seriously at that age. That's why i said teach them to simply have fun. Also sports should be done only if the other things like academics and being a good person are done first.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 10:53:19 am

Whoa, I never said anything to the kid, but he did not even like the sport he was playing that much.

Heck mine thinks he is going to be the 1st person to be a MLB player and WWE performer simultaneously. All I ever tell him is whatever you are doing, work hard at it. He's young, he will likely change his mind 100 times between now and when he finally has to pick a profession, or maybe he will be known as the masked outfielder able to run down fly balls and leap from the top of a steel cage.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 11, 2016, 10:03:29 pm
What school district ?
Red Oak, McKinney was part of the 600 + schools suing the state over lack of funding! but they can afford a $63 million stadium. This is my point, it is overindulgent and unnecessary, which is totally Texan in a nutshell!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 13, 2016, 06:12:28 pm
Red Oak, McKinney was part of the 600 + schools suing the state over lack of funding! but they can afford a $63 million stadium. This is my point, it is overindulgent and unnecessary, which is totally Texan in a nutshell!

3/4 of Texas school districts sued over state funding. What's wrong with trying to get fair funding from the state? This new stadium is part of a 220 million bond that has several big projects including, many new classrooms,  band hall expansions at Evans and Cockrill middle schools and McKinney Boyd High School and safety and security upgrades.There's also a plan for the district's oldest high school to get a new auditorium and acoustics.... is being funded by a bond issue that was easily passed by voters that will be paid for by local property taxes. It is not overindulgent at all.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

I've been to a couple games in Allen. Never anywhere near capacity. Not even close. Euless Trinity has a bigger fan turn out most weeks. People don't flock to these places to watch games in huge caravans. Aledo has a good following.
Let's make some waves.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on May 15, 2016, 10:53:52 am
I've been to a couple games in Allen. Never anywhere near capacity. Not even close. Euless Trinity has a bigger fan turn out most weeks. People don't flock to these places to watch games in huge caravans. Aledo has a good following.

Yep the Bearcat Nation travels really well. Last time they were in Cleburne they flooded over to the Cleburne Home stands to sit.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 10, 2016, 03:00:53 pm
We have the best tools and stuff a kid needs to learn but if he and his parents don't care then no amount of money will fix STUPID!  My Kid has Dyslexia and finished 16-99 and has a scholarship to a fine 4 year college here in Texas.
Congratulations. My sister is developmentally disabled. Granted, it's to a greater degree than dyslexia, but I have still seen how much extra effort she always had to put into her academics just to keep up. She persevered and graduated high school and college... with better grades than me, I might add. I have a lot of respect for those who overcome challenges, particularly if it is something they are born with. Add your kid to my list of people I admire.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Murr

Quote from: mizzouman on May 10, 2016, 08:16:18 am
All that money for high school sports is irresponsible.

Growing up in the northeast, if any school tried to spend that kind of money on sports and tried to use bonds or higher taxes to pay for it, people would be fired and jailed if needed.  Huge misuse of resources.

Now that I'm down in Texas, one thing I do like is there are larger stadiums privately built that are rented out to the high schools for big games.  I'm fine with that.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 06:56:52 am
I remember when Frisco was not even a wide spot in the road..................................

And in the next 2 years they will be opening up their 9th and 10th high schools. Their ISD has a partnership with The Star, which is the new Dallas Cowboys practice facility, built in Frisco. So, they will get to play games in the Dallas Cowboys practice facility. In fact, next year all of the Frisco teams will open their season with a quadruple header in The Star.

All sounds cool for the athletes, but when the place is virtually empty it's not that great of a football experience.

DeltaBoy

HS football attendance down here varies based upon Program success and distance involved in going to the game.  The past 2 years we were in a District with 3 Dallas HS and their road attendace was horrible.  The other school in Johnson County showed up well along with Ferris.  Now we travel well and were complimented on our following, but in Dallas they didn't expect it and on one Thursday night game they had no one to run the concession stand so we had to leave and go down the street to a Church's Chicken to get food or the Quick Sac to get drinks and snacks.  Up in the McKinney area they have way better and consistant attendance.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Well we not the only one to kick this around.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/05/17/texas-monthly-arms-race-60-million-high-school-stadiums-must-stop

In a Texas Monthly editorial with the subtitle, "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't stop spending money," H. Drew Blackburn argues that:
"All high school football stadiums need are bleachers, grass, lights, and a concession stand that sells Frito Pie."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 18, 2016, 10:23:48 am
Well we not the only one to kick this around.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/05/17/texas-monthly-arms-race-60-million-high-school-stadiums-must-stop

In a Texas Monthly editorial with the subtitle, "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't stop spending money," H. Drew Blackburn argues that:
"All high school football stadiums need are bleachers, grass, lights, and a concession stand that sells Frito Pie."

Frito Pie would help fill the stadiums!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2016, 01:35:30 pm
disgraceful, really.

I agree for athletics buildings IF there is no money spent on improving academics or other buildings over time as well. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Murr on May 16, 2016, 06:02:57 pm
Growing up in the northeast, if any school tried to spend that kind of money on sports and tried to use bonds or higher taxes to pay for it, people would be fired and jailed if needed.  Huge misuse of resources.

Now that I'm down in Texas, one thing I do like is there are larger stadiums privately built that are rented out to the high schools for big games.  I'm fine with that.

We the taxpayers of Allen TX  proudly voted for it. We needed it to look as good as our state of the art high school. Ordinary bleachers just wouldn't look right. A couple weeks ago we overwhelmingly voted for 5 new bond issues for the police, library, roads, ect...

We're proud of our city and it shows. Seems only outsiders eat up with jealousy disapprove.  :-*

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 18, 2016, 01:49:31 pm
We the taxpayers of Allen TX  proudly voted for it. We needed it to look as good as our state of the art high school. Ordinary bleachers just wouldn't look right. A couple weeks ago we overwhelmingly voted for 5 new bond issues for the police, library, roads, ect...

We're proud of our city and it shows. Seems only outsiders eat up with jealousy disapprove.  :-*

It's probably over the top, but like the North End Zone, if people are willing to pay for it, then it's fine.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on May 18, 2016, 02:08:34 pm
It's probably over the top, but like the North End Zone, if people are willing to pay for it, then it's fine.

I agree as long as the basic function of providing the best possible academic educational opportunity for the students comes first. If so then spend anything else anyway they see fit.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 18, 2016, 02:26:05 pm
I agree as long as the basic function of providing the best possible academic educational opportunity for the students comes first. If so then spend anything else anyway they see fit.
i WOULD agree but am quite sure that money would have been better spent, say, ending homelessness in that county. Or , say, ending hunger in the entire state. Priorities, man. It's all fine and good if they can afford it, but not at the expense of human suffering. I love football but that is immoral, whether ya'll want to admit it or not. Still immoral.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2016, 01:35:30 pm
disgraceful, really.

Those schools up there are Hugh and they got way more kids than 90% of Ark HS .

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2016, 02:34:43 pm
i WOULD agree but am quite sure that money would have been better spent, say, ending homelessness in that county. Or , say, ending hunger in the entire state. Priorities, man. It's all fine and good if they can afford it, but not at the expense of human suffering. I love football but that is immoral, whether ya'll want to admit it or not. Still immoral.

I've yet to see a homeless person in Allen, TX

By your logic we should just do away with sports, choir, band, ect... because that money would be best served ending hunger in the entire state. I do respect your bleeding heart but we choose to provide our kids top notch facilities for everything including sports. We will continue to provide the kids in our community everything they need to become productive citizens. We're doing a pretty damn good job of it.

ImHogginIt

Why have you folks in Arkansas not wiped out homelessness and hunger ? You are certainly taxed enough.

Here in Allen, TX I'll pay on my $200,000 home about $4,400 in property taxes. People in Arkansas like to make a big deal of that. However I pay zero state income tax. If I lived in Arkansas my wife and I would pay about $11,000 in state income tax plus whatever our property tax would be. Our total sales tax in Allen is currently 8.25%. What is it in Fayetteville and Little Rock ?  9.75 and 9 ?  What are you people doing with all that revenue ?  ;D

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 18, 2016, 03:32:47 pm
Why have you folks in Arkansas not wiped out homelessness and hunger ? You are certainly taxed enough.

Here in Allen, TX I'll pay on my $200,000 home about $4,400 in property taxes. People in Arkansas like to make a big deal of that. However I pay zero state income tax. If I lived in Arkansas my wife and I would pay about $11,000 in state income tax plus whatever our property tax would be. Our total sales tax in Allen is currently 8.25%. What is it in Fayetteville and Little Rock ?  9.75 and 9 ?  What are you people doing with all that revenue ?  ;D

Before Anne Richards was governor, property taxes were a fraction of what they have become, now it's about $2,000 per $100K of house value.    That was part of her scheme to equalize all school districts throughout Texas.    Thanks Anne!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 18, 2016, 03:48:05 pm
Before Anne Richards was governor, property taxes were a fraction of what they have become, now it's about $2,000 per $100K of house value.    That was part of her scheme to equalize all school districts throughout Texas.    Thanks Anne!

I have no  problem with some of my property taxes helping poorer districts. Still a lot cheaper than paying a ton of state income tax like in other states.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 18, 2016, 03:55:54 pm
I have no  problem with some of my property taxes helping poorer districts. Still a lot cheaper than paying a ton of state income tax like in other states.

We never had state income taxes, like most of the other states do and have had forever...     again, Thanks Anne!

Inhogswetrust

Some people STILL think ALL of humanities ills can be cured by spending. They can't. Besides IF they want to end hunger in their county then education is a damn good way to do it!

Inhogswetrust

It's not what type of tax that matters. It's what is called "total tax burden". Texas is a really low tax burden state.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 18, 2016, 02:54:16 pm
Those schools up there are Hugh and they got way more kids than 90% of Ark HS .
My son goes to Fayetteville High. It is a mammoth of a school. 2000 kids.
@Slackaveli

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2016, 09:58:58 pm
My son goes to Fayetteville High. It is a mammoth of a school. 2000 kids.

Many of the high schools in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and El Paso have over 3,500 kids.........   its a different ballgame...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 18, 2016, 03:32:47 pm

I am happy for you guys, truly.

As for Arkansas, the problem lies in decades of corruption and a populace who tends to support the 1%, instead of the states' interests. That said, at least we did the right thing and let people get some health care, unlike say, Oklahoma.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

nice post. good attitude. +1
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on May 18, 2016, 09:35:59 pm
Yes.  Just another example of how we justify things in this country.  There is absolutely no reason for a $62 million dollar high school stadium.  None.  But there is also no reason we should have the poverty rate we do.
that's what happens when you let 1% take ALL the new money and leave the middle class to foot a never ending war bill. $6trillion so far on that lie of a war. Imagine if we had invested it in America!!!
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 18, 2016, 10:01:21 pm
Many of the high schools in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and El Paso have over 3,500 kids.........   its a different ballgame...
that's downright frightening!
@Slackaveli

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 18, 2016, 10:06:59 pm
that's downright frightening!

no, its downright ignorant as I think the teacher to student ratio is astronomical...  further Houston ISD, Dallas ISD, Ft Worth ISD for sure have some of the worst ranked schools in the state...... which is why, many pay the price for private school or hit the road and move to suburbs like Plano, McKinney, Frisco, etc...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 18, 2016, 10:10:42 pm
no, its downright ignorant as I think the teacher to student ratio is astronomical...  further Houston ISD, Dallas ISD, Ft Worth ISD for sure have some of the worst ranked schools in the state...... which is why, many pay the price for private school or hit the road and move to suburbs like Plano, McKinney, Frisco, etc...
Here 9th grade is in High School and it was hard sending my freshman up those stairs on the 1st day of school. In FAYETTEVILLE. I wouldn't send him to a 3.5k person school in friggin houston, el paso, or dallas, no way in hell. Nor would I work in such a school. That is nuts.
@Slackaveli