Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McKinney Texas To Build $62.8 Million Dollar Stadium

Started by Hawgzinbowlz, May 09, 2016, 07:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgzinbowlz

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 09, 2016, 07:00:57 pm
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/texas-high-school-to-build-dollar628-million-football-stadium/ar-BBsPdR2?ocid=spartanntp

Our neighbors to the SW take their football serious.

Good that we are recruiting Texas hard.

" GO HOGS "

And what did Allen (their neighbor) spend on theirs a few years ago?   Something like $45MM?    Regardless, they're both in the DFW MSA, definitely a focus for the Hogs recruiting team.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 09, 2016, 07:08:15 pm
And what did Allen (their neighbor) spend on theirs a few years ago?   Something like $45MM?    Regardless, they're both in the DFW MSA, definitely a focus for the Hogs recruiting team.....
Per link :

"High school football in Texas is no joke, as the city of Allen has a $60 million football stadium that holds 18,000 fans. Katy, Texas is finalizing its own $62.5 million stadium."

" GO HOGS "

longpig

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 09, 2016, 07:21:05 pm
Per link :

"High school football in Texas is no joke, as the city of Allen has a $60 million football stadium that holds 18,000 fans. Katy, Texas is finalizing its own $62.5 million stadium."

" GO HOGS "
Bauxite has a bigger stadium than most of the largest schools in Missouri.
Don't be scared, be smart.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: longpig on May 09, 2016, 08:02:10 pm

I want some of that....  please pass the pipe....

DLUXHOG

Redbug

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 09, 2016, 07:00:57 pm
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/texas-high-school-to-build-dollar628-million-football-stadium/ar-BBsPdR2?ocid=spartanntp

Our neighbors to the SW take their football serious.

Good that we are recruiting Texas hard.

" GO HOGS "
that's amazing considering McKinney was just a 15K+ town halfway between the metroplex and Sherman/Denison. My uncle had a small place on Lake Levon just outside of Princeton. McKinney's going the way of Plano, Allen, Frisco. Projected Population of over 160K it'll pass LR in less than 5-10 yrs...that's unreal....I can remember it being rolling hills pasture land for miles and miles.

OGR69

My son played against Allen this season.  I can tell you that stadium is incredible from top to bottom.

ICEman

Allen, Tx has a marching band in excess of 700 kiddos.  I am not quite sure how 700 people can find space to do much marching.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

longpig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 09, 2016, 08:04:25 pm
I want some of that....  please pass the pipe....

Bauxite's a big deal in southeast Saline county.  ;D

HogMantheIntruder

This kind of thing just reminds me of how far behind Arkansas high school football is compared to our neighbors (Texas, of course, being the most extreme example). But I hate the fact that so much athletic talent, particularly in Central Arkansas, is never realized, because the money and interest just isn't there. I don't know how to fix it, but it would make a tremendous difference, not just for Razorback recruiting, but for the kids and the community as a whole.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

longpig

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 09, 2016, 09:33:07 pm
This kind of thing just reminds me of how far behind Arkansas high school football is compared to our neighbors (Texas, of course, being the most extreme example). But I hate the fact that so much athletic talent, particularly in Central Arkansas, is never realized, because the money and interest just isn't there. I don't know how to fix it, but it would make a tremendous difference, not just for Razorback recruiting, but for the kids and the community as a whole.

What's bad for Little Rock public schools is good for private schools and real estate in the surrounding communities. ;)

bphi11ips

Hmmmmm.

As college football evolves into a minor league, could high school football blow up as a spectator sport?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Redbug

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 09, 2016, 09:33:07 pm

The Federal Courts sticking their nose into Pulaski County ruined the public schools and sports. It helped lead eventually to the HBO "banging in the rock" crap and all that followed.

BornaHog

Quote from: Redbug on May 09, 2016, 08:46:46 pm
that's amazing considering McKinney was just a 15K+ town halfway between the metroplex and Sherman/Denison. My uncle had a small place on Lake Levon just outside of Princeton. McKinney's going the way of Plano, Allen, Frisco. Projected Population of over 160K it'll pass LR in less than 5-10 yrs...that's unreal....I can remember it being rolling hills pasture land for miles and miles.

I live in Denison, about 40 mi north of McKinney and the last time I went by their city limits sign, it said population was 155K.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

MinerMan24

Quote from: longpig on May 09, 2016, 08:02:10 pm

boy you got me rolling with that one.  I played at Bauxite... they call it the pit for a reason :'(

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Redbug on May 09, 2016, 08:46:46 pm

McKinney has been one of the fastest growing Dallas MSA cities for probably two decades...  as a matter of fact, it has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country........  I doubt that it's population can top 200K thought...............

AUSTXHOG

Is this stadium going to be used by several high schools as a "home" stadium?  Didn't see it in the article.  I know Round Rock built a stadium that is shared between several schools.  Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, and Round Rock.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Redbug on May 09, 2016, 10:11:04 pm
The Federal Courts sticking their nose into Pulaski County ruined the public schools and sports. It helped lead eventually to the HBO "banging in the rock" crap and all that followed.

I wouldn't mind hearing out the federal courts interfering with school districts caused banging in the rock

mckinneyhog5

I live about 2 miles from the proposed site for the stadium.  There are nice well established homes in this area and I hope this monstrosity doesn't screw it up.  My home value keeps going up 20,000 every year along with my personal property tax.  Wasn't that expensive to live here 6 years ago but now you better look out!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Torqued pork

Makes me wonder what a top-tier Texas high school pays its coaches compared to other states.

PorcineSublime

Wonder what Bentonville's stadium would cost in today's dollars? I know Siloam Springs recently built a new stadium and the original plans had to be cut way back to meet budget, and is just a basic setup, nothing like Har-Ber or Bentonville's. I would be willing to bet the Tiger stadium would be north of $20 million if built today. Having said all that, a $60 million stadium seems silly for HS. But if they fill it every Friday, they might be able to get at least a partial return on the investment.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 10, 2016, 03:31:23 am
Makes me wonder what a top-tier Texas high school pays its coaches compared to other states.

Last I heard it was more than in adjoining states and they don't "have" to teach a class. Don't know if that is still true or not.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 09, 2016, 09:40:52 pm
Hmmmmm.

As college football evolves into a minor league, could high school football blow up as a spectator sport?

since when has college football not been minor league for the pros for a small minority of college players......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BornaHog on May 09, 2016, 10:11:47 pm
I live in Denison, about 40 mi north of McKinney and the last time I went by their city limits sign, it said population was 155K.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG

I remember when Frisco was not even a wide spot in the road..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

yraciv

I'll be that guy and ask if anyone thinks this is too much? The article does state this is well over what they spend on actual school facilities. I've also been to a TX monstrosity stadium before on a Friday night and it was half full. Does Allen, McKinney or Katy routinely fill their current facilities to capacity? I know Katy and Allen are powerhouse programs, but McKinney and McKinney North not quite as much.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ICEman on May 09, 2016, 09:18:18 pm
Allen, Tx has a marching band in excess of 700 kiddos.  I am not quite sure how 700 people can find space to do much marching.

Having been a former bandie I would bet that is the total number of students in the whole band  "program" not in the high school marching band that marches at high school games. Heck Cabot, AR has 300 band students approximately I'm told but not that many that march for the high school. A family member is one of the Band Directors there. They have several directors also. I can't remember the exact number of Directors but I think it is seven. There is a small number of high schools that put emphasis on bands in Arkansas. Cabot is one of them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 09, 2016, 08:24:32 pm
It was minor and primarily cosmetic......   Regardless it's open now.....

Didn't the arena in North Little Rock have some issues that had to be fixed?

oldbear

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 09, 2016, 11:37:19 pm
I wouldn't mind hearing out the federal courts interfering with school districts caused banging in the rock

I have absolutely no proof of what I am about to say but have wondered about it for a long time as I work with kids a lot. In many kids' minds with gang membership comes safety from outside dangers, a sense of belonging, something to identify with and a sense of being important. They make use of colors, signs, music, activities (mostly illegal) done together, and other things, many of which can be analogous to sporting teams and neighborhood schools. With sports we use colors, chants, music, and other things to get a sense of belonging and self. When you take away the sense of fraternity of neighborhood schools and move kids around I could see them gravitating to other, less healthy activities because they are going to seek an identity and sense of self worth and try to belong to something.

I am sure someone smarter than me has done more research on it and I know there had to be something done to bring about desegregation and attempt to stop the erosion of the inner city schools, but clearly all the busing and other steps taken didn't work well. Don't really mean to derail the thread but this isn't nearly as bad as accidentally comparing Bauxite to suburban Dallas.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 10, 2016, 05:58:32 am
Wonder what Bentonville's stadium would cost in today's dollars? I know Siloam Springs recently built a new stadium and the original plans had to be cut way back to meet budget, and is just a basic setup, nothing like Har-Ber or Bentonville's. I would be willing to bet the Tiger stadium would be north of $20 million if built today. Having said all that, a $60 million stadium seems silly for HS. But if they fill it every Friday, they might be able to get at least a partial return on the investment.

We built more than just a stadium here in Allen with that bond revenue. We built a lot of classrooms and a performance hall among other things but all folks want to focus on is the football stadium.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 07:05:36 am
Having been a former bandie I would bet that is the total number of students in the whole band  "program" not in the high school marching band that marches at high school games. Heck Cabot, AR has 300 band students approximately I'm told but not that many that march for the high school. A family member is one of the Band Directors there. They have several directors also. I can't remember the exact number of Directors but I think it is seven. There is a small number of high schools that put emphasis on bands in Arkansas. Cabot is one of them.

You lose the bet. That is the number that perform on the field. As you can see they cover the whole field

DeltaBoy

Yes it is Serious down here in the Lone Star State.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mizzouman

All that money for high school sports is irresponsible. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: mizzouman on May 10, 2016, 08:16:18 am

Nope they got a nice tax base and most of their district is nicer than anywhere outside of NWA.
http://www.mckinneyisd.net/
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ImHogginIt

Things cost money dude. Hell little Quitman Ar spent a little over $5 million for a basic gym this year that seats 1500.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/nov/01/open-house-nov-10-quitman-facility/?f=rivervalley

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 06:54:34 am
since when has college football not been minor league for the pros for a small minority of college players......................................

Pardon me.  I thought you were older than 20.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 10, 2016, 08:31:25 am
Things cost money dude. Hell little Quitman Ar spent a little over $5 million for a basic gym this year that seats 1500.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/nov/01/open-house-nov-10-quitman-facility/?f=rivervalley

Commercial Construction Cost are way more than most folks realize.

Hoot72

I going from memory on an article that I read a few days ago.  The football stadium in McKinney will be used by 3 schools, and that price tag also includes a gymnasium and performing arts center (I think).  Still a lot of money, but more than just a football stadium for one school.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2016, 06:56:52 am
I remember when Frisco was not even a wide spot in the road…………………………….

indeed, as 25 years ago it was nothing but a post office and a feed mill, maybe a rural population of ~5,000, now its over 150,000 and still growing.........

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 10, 2016, 03:31:23 am

http://footballscoop.com/news/how-much-d...s-coaches/

1. Gary Joseph, Katy – $132,011 [Texas]
2. Donald Clayton, Katy Cinco Ranch – $127,011  [Texas]
3. Charles Meadows, Katy Morton Ranch – $121,011  [Texas]
4. Anthony Tademy, Katy Tompkins – $114,957  [Texas]
5. Lydell Wilson, Katy Seven Lakes – $113,602  [Texas]
6. Richard Carson, The Woodlands College Park – $111,418  [Texas]
7. Hiram Walker, Conroe – $111,418  [Texas]
8. Mark Schmid, The Woodlands – $110,317  [Texas]
9. Bill Barron, Alief Elsik – $110,212  [Texas]
10. James Rabe, Katy Mayde Creek – $107,850  [Texas]
11. Dereck Rush, Conroe Oak Ridge – $107,773  [Texas]
12. Steven Svendsen, Caney Creek – $105,400  [Texas]
13. Dennis Brantley, Fort Bend Elkins – $103,014  [Texas]
14. Daniel Schreiber, Fort Bend Austin – $101,922  [Texas]
15. Kerry Bamberg, Aldine Eisenhower – $99,651  [Texas]
16. Jeffery Ganske, Pasadena – $99,647  [Texas]
17. David Martel, Alief Hastings – $99,130  [Texas]
18. David Smith, Klein Oak – $98,974  [Texas]
19. J.D. Jordan, Alief Taylor – $98,634  [Texas]
20. James Showers, Aldine Davis – $98,2650  [Texas]

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 10, 2016, 08:46:55 am
indeed, as 25 years ago it was nothing but a post office and a feed mill, maybe a rural population of ~5,000, now its over 150,000 and still growing.........

Yep my wife grew up in White Settlement which in on the West side of Fort Worth and she said going out to Carrolton back in the 1980's meant going out into the Country.  That it was a isolated small town but not anymore. The North side of Dallas has really filled in even since I moved down here in the early 1990's .

DLUXHOG

May 10, 2016, 09:00:58 am #42 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:50:03 am by DLUXHOG
Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 10, 2016, 08:54:02 am
Yep my wife grew up in White Settlement which in on the West side of Fort Worth and she said going out to Carrolton back in the 1980's meant going out into the Country.  That it was a isolated small town but not anymore. The North side of Dallas has really filled in even since I moved down here in the early 1990's .

Yes, I've moved to Dallas back in 1981 when the DFW MSA was barely 1.5MM and have watched it grow to over 7.5MM (and its still growing/expanding) to the 4th largest MSA in the U.S. (right behind New York,Los Angeles, Chicago).    It will likely eclipse Chicago within the next 10 years and be in third place.    The top 3 cities have geographic issues (oceans, a great lake, mountains, etc.) which limit their growth, whereas DFW only has the state line of Oklahoma to impede its growth.   Oklahoma has literally become a parking lot for DFW......    Regardless, I can't wait to move back to NWA................

hoggusamoungus

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 10, 2016, 08:52:06 am
http://footballscoop.com/news/how-much-d...s-coaches/

1. Gary Joseph, Katy – $132,011 [Texas]
2. Donald Clayton, Katy Cinco Ranch – $127,011  [Texas]
3. Charles Meadows, Katy Morton Ranch – $121,011  [Texas]
4. Anthony Tademy, Katy Tompkins – $114,957  [Texas]
5. Lydell Wilson, Katy Seven Lakes – $113,602  [Texas]
6. Richard Carson, The Woodlands College Park – $111,418  [Texas]
7. Hiram Walker, Conroe – $111,418  [Texas]
8. Mark Schmid, The Woodlands – $110,317  [Texas]
9. Bill Barron, Alief Elsik – $110,212  [Texas]
10. James Rabe, Katy Mayde Creek – $107,850  [Texas]
11. Dereck Rush, Conroe Oak Ridge – $107,773  [Texas]
12. Steven Svendsen, Caney Creek – $105,400  [Texas]
13. Dennis Brantley, Fort Bend Elkins – $103,014  [Texas]
14. Daniel Schreiber, Fort Bend Austin – $101,922  [Texas]
15. Kerry Bamberg, Aldine Eisenhower – $99,651  [Texas]
16. Jeffery Ganske, Pasadena – $99,647  [Texas]
17. David Martel, Alief Hastings – $99,130  [Texas]
18. David Smith, Klein Oak – $98,974  [Texas]
19. J.D. Jordan, Alief Taylor – $98,634  [Texas]
20. James Showers, Aldine Davis – $98,2650  [Texas]

Every one of those schools is in the Houston area.  My son's school is in the same district as all of the Katy schools.  As one of two private schools in UIL (the governing body for high school activities in Texas) you can imagine what it's like to compete against those sort of resources.  Football games aren't pretty for our school.  On the other hand, we can really clean up in baseball.

Katy High School was caught violating UIL rules twice this year - they played an illegible player in football playoffs, and two baseball players were getting paid to coach a youth league.  Football didn't even get a slap on the wrist but the baseball program had to forfeit all of their wins this season which dropped them out of the playoff race.

-phil

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 10, 2016, 08:09:39 am
You lose the bet. That is the number that perform on the field. As you can see they cover the whole field

Good post! I've never seen a high school marching band that big. Impressed. I looked it up and they include in that number the drill team, color guard and ALL four years 9th through 12th in it. Claim to be the largest high school marching band.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 10, 2016, 08:35:36 am
Pardon me.  I thought you were older than 20.

WAY older. Tell me HOW it hasn't always been a minor-league for only the best college players which in numbers is a small minority. There are a LOT more colleges players that never play pro ball than does. You know that.

Inhogswetrust

That would be correct only if the academic side of the school is not good. I'd bet it is good.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 10, 2016, 09:01:05 am
http://thecabin.net/stories/101399/spo_1013990028.html#.VzHpLdjVxFo

Thanks! That was it! I also remember going to DKR Memorial stadium to watch the Hogs play the Horns years ago and there was a BIG metal plate on the side of the stadium where the upper deck was.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 10, 2016, 08:36:54 am
Commercial Construction Cost are way more than most folks realize.

I remember when hotels were as cheap as $15,000 per room to build........now cheap ones can easily cost $100,000 per room and expensive ones can be a LOT more than that! In some places as much as $1,000,000 per room or more.