Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much does Arkansas make from Nike?

Started by NuttinItUp, October 09, 2015, 03:05:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

I just read this story about how Wisconsin just signed a 10-year, $96-million deal with Under Armour (link) and I was wondering if anyone knew what Arkansas' deal with Nike was?

I looked around a little but couldn't find specific, current numbers. I found this report from 2014 (link) which gives a comparison of SEC teams and what they make from different apparel sponsorships, but Arkansas is unhelpfully left out of the database.

So, I thought I would see if anyone here knew.

HawgLife4Eva

greasy_corner

Not a lot, and yes I know this is 5 years old. 

some pretty sad statements in here from our athletic dept...

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2010/jul/01/swoosh-switch-arkansas-begins-5-year-deal-nike/

NuttinItUp

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 09, 2015, 09:21:27 pm

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2010/jul/01/swoosh-switch-arkansas-begins-5-year-deal-nike/

That was a 5-year deal. Presumably it would have ended in July of this year since it had been 5 years (2010-2015) at that point. That is, if the date of the story is when the contract actually started.

Did they sign a new agreement for (hopefully) more money?

Obviously we didn't switch providers or anything; We are still using Nike. Surprising that we haven't heard anything.

greasy_corner

I'm guessing a new contract was signed...I always thought the cash payout from the original Nike deal was on the order of a few hundred thousand a year.  It was pretty underwhelming, but everyone knew it would help recruiting and image.  So nothing near the $9.6M/yr Wisky signed today. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 09, 2015, 09:21:27 pm

darn deal. and look at this clause. no wonder all our guys feet are broken. #safetyfirst tho, huh?

"No spatting"
Nike includes a "zero tolerance" policy against "non-medically necessitated spatting" in the contract, which does not allow the taping of football shoes in any manner that would cover or obscure the Nike logo. If done so, Nike has the right to reduce the university's scheduled sponsorship payments.
Nike's exceptions
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NuttinItUp

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 09, 2015, 09:33:06 pm
I'm guessing a new contract was signed...I always thought the cash payout from the original Nike deal was on the order of a few hundred thousand a year.  It was pretty underwhelming, but everyone knew it would help recruiting and image.  So nothing near the $9.6M/yr Wisky signed today. 
Someone has to know. Couldn't a member of the media or someone submit a FOI request or something to get the information?

You would think there would be information somewhere about it, but I have been searching and can't find anything recent.

Also, I would think Under Armour would help recruiting and image more. It is the "hotter" brand than Nike now.

HawgLife4Eva

Aggies just signed a new Adidas contract a few months ago for many millions.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/spadilly/2015/8/17/9163651/inside-texas-am-aggies-contract-with-adidas

I think a lot of the time, the value of the products that are provided are factored in as part of the number. Also some of it is stuff like "marketing" ad buys and stuff like that.

So, when you see $9.6 million/year for Wisconsin or $7.1 million/year for Texas A&M or whatever, then a lot of that is equipment/jerseys/shoes/etc. for all of the various sports on campus or buying commercials or whatever. Not all of it is a cash payout.

HawgLife4Eva

Well, I found the 2015 apparels contract database of universities by Biz Journals:
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2015/09/nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa-apparel-deals-2015.html

We are like the only team not included in there. What is the deal? Why is Arkansas so secretive about their numbers?

Sed76

Does the brand really help a school like Arkansas with recruiting? I mean A&M has Adidas and Auburn is Under Armour. Not being a Nike school doesn't seem to be hindering them on the recruiting trail. Has our recruiting ranking went up since switching to Nike?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Sed76 on October 09, 2015, 10:07:23 pm
Does the brand really help a school like Arkansas with recruiting? I mean A&M has Adidas and Auburn is Under Armour. Not being a Nike school doesn't seem to be hindering them on the recruiting trail. Has our recruiting ranking went up since switching to Nike?

Good point. I would rather just go with the highest bidder.

Although Bielema's Air Force 1's at media days were kinda cool...

1HourToHogville

Article about Michigans deal this year, Jeff Long mentioned as negotiator in a history of their deals.  I would say you will see a new deal announced before too long and I bet it will be pretty good deal.
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/07/michigan_nike_contentious_begi.html

hawgXi

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 09, 2015, 09:37:04 pm
darn deal. and look at this clause. no wonder all our guys feet are broken. #safetyfirst tho, huh?

"No spatting"
Nike includes a "zero tolerance" policy against "non-medically necessitated spatting" in the contract, which does not allow the taping of football shoes in any manner that would cover or obscure the Nike logo. If done so, Nike has the right to reduce the university's scheduled sponsorship payments.
Nike's exceptions

good eye!

I agree, it could be bad shoes causing many of our injury problems this year?

could be that nike validates this theory by specifically prohibiting spatting, so obviously, spatting has to have been tried before by someone.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgXi on October 10, 2015, 09:17:27 am
good eye!

could be that nike validates this theory by specifically prohibit spatting, so obviously, spatting has to have been tried before by someone.

Same shoes worn by lots of schools and players.....

NuttinItUp

Bump.

I'd still like to know the answer to this if anyone knows.

Augustus

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 09, 2015, 09:33:06 pm

Yes, I would imagine a new contract was signed, something to the extent of... We signed a ten year deal with Nike in which we will wear Road jerseys for a decade, and if we switch to Adidas or Under Armour before 1/1/2018, we have to pay Nike $15.4 Million.

Of course... I'm just basing that off of existing contracts with Jerry's World & current Personnel.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgXi on October 10, 2015, 09:17:27 am
good eye!

could be that nike validates this theory by specifically prohibiting spatting, so obviously, spatting has to have been tried before by someone.
it is curious, huh?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NuttinItUp

TrueBlue

I think we actually pay Nike each year.

Let's go back to Apex!  :)

ricepig

sickboy

About tree fiddy.

No seriously. Arkansas doesn't divulge that info to the press, so it'll probably be some deep researching to figure it out.

STLhawg

Bumping this old thread because ULCA just signed a new record deal.  We must have signed a new deal with Nike because our old one ran out in 2015 -- yet I cannot find any mention of it (much less the details/terms of it).  It seems odd that the Arkansas media hasn't reported anything on this; they can file a FOI request to get the info if they need to.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I remember JLo saying back when he made the switch that it wasn't as much cash as other schools but Nike was making that up with additional equipment allowances and I guess a couple extra pairs of socks for the players.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.