Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What of McCurdy and Jefferson?

Started by Adam Stokes, February 25, 2006, 04:12:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: crimsonandcreampie78 on February 25, 2006, 10:52:42 pm
Stan did GREAt job---Because McCarty would've been able to stop those guys.  Vols would've stepped all over that kid. :razorback:
Evidence for this???
Read the whole thread.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

nwarazfan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 25, 2006, 10:45:07 pm
Quote from: BigHog396 on February 25, 2006, 10:40:54 pm
Why is everyone on here acting like Jefferson or Ferguson had anything to do with the real PG play today.  If you actually watched the game, you would know it was Brewer leading the team and distributing the ball for the last few minutes of the game.  We are MUCH better with Brewer playing the point.

It is because the DJ and Ferguson huggers like nwarazfan just keep pumpin the sunshine...God almighty, it is like a clanging cymbal over and over, no facts, no insight, just "good D", "offense", "Seniors", "tall", "athletic"...

BULLSHIITE

Miss my post where I talk about being comfortable with Brewer running the offense?  But yes I think we are most effective with Ferg playing the point with Brewer on floor with him.  Ferg has shown he can hit the 3 as well as anyone(which isn't great but as good as we got) and he has a nice mid range game and is our best guard at driving for layups.  Can't have RB run the point solely because we have to have his scoring.  Let Jeff come in for short stints to defend and help rebounding because our guards have to help our rebound deficient big men.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 25, 2006, 10:50:36 pm
Karma for you Notshavin, I am pumped we won today, pumped, but I am not going to sit here and say that a guy with a 4-27 SEC road record who lost to MISS State and Ole Miss on the road this year is the next coming of Dean Smith, we won, Stan did a good job, the team played hard, but I like to stick with solid facts, they keep winning, I will jump on board, but he has to prove it over and over, in 4 years, he should have a pt guard who can play, that is a fact, he doesn't, I just keep remembering hte fact that his winning percentage on the road is barely over .100.  The huggers can save their trees, and save Stan, but show me some results, consistenly, not for one week. 

I am glad we won, pumped we won, I called the hogs, but one week does not make a coach, period.

Well look who crawled out.

wrightobe

The first time I saw McCurdy enter into a game, I stated he would be starting.  However, I now believe that he is not yet ready for prime time, and missing those free throws that could have won a game, may have shook his confidence.  Four coaches watch all the practices and evaluate the players from film tape, discussions and coach meetings, etc.  Why would they not want to play the best players?  The coaches surely want to win, and will do all possible to win.  You can not play a player, based on the theory that he does not do as good in practice, but will play good in the game.  I know sometimes that has happened, but decisions have to be made based on practice and game situations.  McCurdy will be a good point guard, and he does have good basketball instincts, but it will be next year or the year after.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: crimsonandcreampie78 on February 25, 2006, 10:41:53 pm
I think Stan a GREAT Job---not putting McCarty in the game on today.  Because he's not good like you guys protray him.  He can't make any consist free throw nor can he dribble, defense.  He's serve no purpose at ALL!!!!!

Would you guys just let Stan do his job!!!! Because he has been doing a a GREAT JOB with those guy.

Also, you guys complain about the loses.  I don't see any on our fans going to the away games.  I will they do better on the road if they had any of our fans traveling with them.

Why don't the UofA send a pep bus with the basketball team?  When they send a pep bus with footballteam. And the football teams has not done anything in the last two years.  If anyone needs to go Nutt needs to go. And the lady's basketball coach because she has not done a thing since I have live in Fayetteville.  I've lived here for three years. :razorback:

Wow...you know, grammar school...there is a reason they call it that.

I know you are a troll...so that is okay.  I appreciate you trying to stir up trouble.  I love trouble.  Some will tell you to go away because you have no idea what you are talking about.  But, personally, people like you amuse me.  Keep up your ramblings.  Makes me smile.
Retired Radio Host

blueshog2001

We have to remember last year; the only basketball thing Sean did was watch it! As the year has come along he has shown more aggressiveness and court awareness. In less hostile environments he should get more playing time.

Hawgdawgrain

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 25, 2006, 10:35:07 pm
All of you that think McCurdy can't play defense have not watched the games. 

You can't argue with a win.  I do think that we could have won by a bigger margin if McC. had been in there.  He also needed the experience.  Ferguson still makes crucial mistakes.  He had some huge plays also.  I would say that we broke even with him today.  I still think McCurdy is the only true PG we have.  I will be glad to see two of our three seniors go.

Ugly, I've seen every televised game this year and have seen McCurdy play D...

I didn't say he "couldn't" play D...I mentioned the guards for UT would have had a better game against him in an effort to say that DJ and Ferg are better defensively...

Don't be so defensive... ;)

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hawgdawgrain on February 25, 2006, 11:11:34 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on February 25, 2006, 10:35:07 pm
All of you that think McCurdy can't play defense have not watched the games. 

You can't argue with a win.  I do think that we could have won by a bigger margin if McC. had been in there.  He also needed the experience.  Ferguson still makes crucial mistakes.  He had some huge plays also.  I would say that we broke even with him today.  I still think McCurdy is the only true PG we have.  I will be glad to see two of our three seniors go.

Ugly, I've seen every televised game this year and have seen McCurdy play D...

I didn't say he "couldn't" play D...I mentioned the guards for UT would have had a better game against him in an effort to say that DJ and Ferg are better defensively...

Don't be so defensive... ;)

I have seen them to.  Everyone.  Well, except the ones that were away and not on t.v.  Notshavin and I were actually courtside for the Florida game.  The rest I have seen from my seats...which are actually pretty good.  This kid has extremely quick feet.  Those that think he got blown by in that game need to watch it again.

Sorry if I seemed so defensive.  I don't think Sean is the Second coming of Pistol Pete.  I do think he needs to be in the game more.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: crimsonandcreampie78 on February 25, 2006, 10:54:21 pm
Whatever McCurdy suck

Does anyone else think that crimsonandcreampie78 sounds like Tarzan?  All of his post cracks me up.

Me Uglyuncle.
Me happy hog team won.
Retired Radio Host

wrightobe

Quote from: ConwayHog on February 25, 2006, 11:16:13 pm
Quote from: wrightobe on February 25, 2006, 11:06:20 pm
You can not play a player, based on the theory that he does not do as good in practice, but will play good in the game.  I know sometimes that has happened, but decisions have to be made based on practice and game situations. 

Matt Jones would have been in trouble and rode the pine for four years had this been the case.  I guess he falls into the "sometimes" scenario.
It has been stated that Matt Jones did not practice as good as he played in the games.  But in practice, he still stood out as the best player and athlete, and that is the reason he played and started for four years.  His general manager brought out this very point, that they are trying get Matt Jones to play as hard in practice as he did in the play-offs, and the main reason he did not seem to practice hard, was that he simply was gifted with so much physical talent, that he did not have to, because he still stood out in practice as the best player and athlete.  I have followed the Razorbacks since 1951, and I believe Matt Jones is the greatest athlete that has ever donned a Razorback uniform, although Clyde Scott was before my time.

I should have never started that thread about Stan needing to start McCurdy.  Heath probably saw it and pulled a Houston Nutt.

pigture perfect

February 25, 2006, 11:38:32 pm #62 Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 11:46:55 pm by preachinpig
Quote from: crimsonandcreampie78 on February 25, 2006, 10:54:21 pm
Whatever McCurdy suck
I missed your gender sign. Crimson and creampie sounds like a chicks name.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: wrightobe on February 25, 2006, 11:34:03 pm
You can not play a player, based on the theory that he does not do as good in practice, but will play good in the game.  I know sometimes that has happened, but decisions have to be made based on practice and game situations. 

Matt Jones would have been in trouble and rode the pine for four years had this been the case.  I guess he falls into the "sometimes" scenario.
It has been stated that Matt Jones did not practice as good as he played in the games.  But in practice, he still stood out as the best player and athlete, and that is the reason he played and started for four years.  His general manager brought out this very point, that they are trying get Matt Jones to play as hard in practice as he did in the play-offs, and the main reason he did not seem to practice hard, was that he simply was gifted with so much physical talent, that he did not have to, because he still stood out in practice as the best player and athlete.  I have followed the Razorbacks since 1951, and I believe Matt Jones is the greatest athlete that has ever donned a Razorback uniform, although Clyde Scott was before my time.

Not when he was a freshman.  Nutt wouldn't play him in the UNLV game because he had looked so bad in practice.  Four other QB's played and he didn't get in the game.  I truly believe Nuttster played him to shut people like us up.  The rest is history.
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Quote from: wrightobe on February 25, 2006, 11:34:03 pm

Matt didnt start in his freshan year until after the Kentucky overtime thriller.

wrightobe

I know history is history, and now is now.  If I remember correctly, did not Dontell Jefferson score the winning basket and make a game saving defensive block against Kansas, that we won by one point.  It seems that most of his turnovers have been trying to run a fast break, and has trouble making a good accurate pass while running full speed, as most good point guards do.  Did he play the point guard position in JC?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: wrightobe on February 25, 2006, 11:48:22 pm
I know history is history, and now is now.  If I remember correctly, did not Dontell Jefferson score the winning basket and make a game saving defensive block against Kansas, that we won by one point.  It seems that most of his turnovers have been trying to run a fast break, and has trouble making a good accurate pass while running full speed, as most good point guards do.  Did he play the point guard position in JC?

The issue with DJ is more of him picking up his dribble between the circles and having no where to go.  I think if he became someone that penetrated and slashed to the basket he would be great.  Since he won't...glad he is graduating...he hurts us.
Retired Radio Host

I hear that Heath kept McCurdy on the bench because he read my thread STAN, IT IS TIME TO START MCCURDY.

Sorry Sean.  :'(

mtownhog

Since the LSU game, I guess Heath doesn't think McCurdy can handle the pressure on the road.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: mtownhog on February 26, 2006, 12:16:35 am
Since the LSU game, I guess Heath doesn't think McCurdy can handle the pressure on the road.

Not that heath has benched McCurdy but it would be stupid to send a freshman into to the lions breath i.e. watson and loftin.  It was in the Hogs best interest to let McCurdy sit this one out especially on the road instead of the friendly confines of BWA
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 25, 2006, 11:08:11 pm
I think Stan a GREAT Job---not putting McCarty in the game on today.  Because he's not good like you guys protray him.  He can't make any consist free throw nor can he dribble, defense.  He's serve no purpose at ALL!!!!!

Would you guys just let Stan do his job!!!! Because he has been doing a a GREAT JOB with those guy.

Also, you guys complain about the loses.  I don't see any on our fans going to the away games.  I will they do better on the road if they had any of our fans traveling with them.

Why don't the UofA send a pep bus with the basketball team?  When they send a pep bus with footballteam. And the football teams has not done anything in the last two years.  If anyone needs to go Nutt needs to go. And the lady's basketball coach because she has not done a thing since I have live in Fayetteville.  I've lived here for three years. :razorback:

Wow...you know, grammar school...there is a reason they call it that.

I know you are a troll...so that is okay.  I appreciate you trying to stir up trouble.  I love trouble.  Some will tell you to go away because you have no idea what you are talking about.  But, personally, people like you amuse me.  Keep up your ramblings.  Makes me smile.
I was thinking the same thing.  Had to just laugh cause that post was too dang hard to read.  Maybe he is a foreigner... My friend from Nepal talks like that.

Richard_white

Sounds like one of my post after drinking to much crown

twistitup

I think McCurdy felt sorry for Dontell and asked - 'want my minutes tonight?' what a team player.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogtheball

Somewhere, there's an English teacher who should be ashamed.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

TennesseeRaz

Yes, we won.  And DJ did a good job on defense, much better than last game when Steel blew by him and took it all the way to the rim.  But the offense stagnated, again, when he had the ball.  We won, not because he was setting up the post players, but because Brewer was.  DJ doesn't (apparently) have the vision to do it, and neither does Ferguson (despite his other contributions).  Go back and look at the game tape w/ about 9:15 left in the half.  Poor Hunter was on the block, begging for the ball, and the guy guarding him was two steps across the lane.  Ferguson looked at him.  Waited a second or two, and then fired up a three with a guy in his face.

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on February 26, 2006, 03:31:30 pm
Yes, we won.  And DJ did a good job on defense, much better than last game when Steel blew by him and took it all the way to the rim.  But the offense stagnated, again, when he had the ball.  We won, not because he was setting up the post players, but because Brewer was.  DJ doesn't (apparently) have the vision to do it, and neither does Ferguson (despite his other contributions).  Go back and look at the game tape w/ about 9:15 left in the half.  Poor Hunter was on the block, begging for the ball, and the guy guarding him was two steps across the lane.  Ferguson looked at him.  Waited a second or two, and then fired up a three with a guy in his face.

Great post. 

hog caller

HEATHS COMMENT ON McCURDY NOT STARTING WAS THAT HE HAD SPRAINED HIS ANKLE IN PRACTICE LAST WEEK. FROM RASORBACK ARTICLE IN ARKDEMGAZ TODAY.

DON'T KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE BUT I LIKE MC BECAUSE HE IS A TAKE CHARGE GUY AND PLAYS GOOD DEFENCE AND DISTRIBUTES THE BALL WELL AND HAS ALOW TURN OVER RATIO FOR A FROS.

LOVE THOSE hogs WPS.

ReverendRazorback

Wow - wonder what score this guy would get on the Wonderlic test? Probably still better than Vince Young.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

tophawg19

unless your grammar is perfect and you never made a mistake let it go . this AIN'T  a damn english class , it's a place for hog fans to enjoy discussing the pros and cons of sports etc. . i make enough mistakes myself and don't need someone to point them out . it distracts from the post .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

UALRGrad

At the risk of making my karma score even worse, I would like to make a statement.  "Mccurdy is no SEC PG."

He is too short and slow.  He can't really penetrate while staying in control.  He can't get a shot off due to his size and speed.  He will get beat defensively unless he plays a step off his man.  If he does this, they will torch him with 3's.

I am sure he is a nice kid but the best bet is to keep him off the floor and play RB at point with townes, hunter, thomas and ferguson in the game.  Donterrible can give fergie a break and not kill you.  I have noticed that the Hogs don't play as well with him in the game.

This is just my opinion.  Remember, opinions are like nipples, everyone has two or three of them.
If Ole Dork played the University of Hell, I'd buy a Satan jersey.

Uncle Ivan 9/6/2009

Richard_white

You know sometimes it's better left unsaid.  So I am going to say nothing to this idiotic poster

tophawg19

he is right about 1 thing little MC was slow against steele of alabama but then again he was cat quick . give him time his game may come around .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

whatsshakinbacon

McCurdy's shortcomings this year can be attributed more to his being a freshman than to his abilities.  He can and will in time be a quality SEC point guard. 

Bacon out...

ChrisD

I saw McCurdy cause Steele to alter his shot and pass the ball on two seperate occasions. I think he handles the ball well for a freshman and will in time contribute. He usually has his head up and is looking to make a pass in transition but sometimes the open man has his head turned the other way and is not ready to recieve the pass. All in all I think he has some point guard skills that will be a real help to us in the years to come.

berryhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 26, 2006, 09:08:41 pm
he is right about 1 thing little MC was slow against steele of alabama but then again he was cat quick . give him time his game may come around .
As much as a lot of people would like to blame McCurdy for Steele's huge game, in reality he didn't score much at all against McCurdy.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/146979/

Heath kept his faith in Ferguson after Alabama's Ronald Steele scored 29 points Tuesday with Ferguson covering him much of the night.

cubsfan5150

UALR grad, I fully agree with you.  I don't see anything special in this guy.  I think that the only way he'll really be able to help us in the future is by being a three point specialist.  We need another PG for next year.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on February 26, 2006, 09:29:30 pm
UALR grad, I fully agree with you.  I don't see anything special in this guy.  I think that the only way he'll really be able to help us in the future is by being a three point specialist.  We need another PG for next year.

Honestly, how can anyone truly say they have or haven't seen anything special about McCurdy?  His minutes have been so few and sporadic that it's impossible to tell what he can or can't do.  My own observation is that he's a "heady" player who tries to make things happen when the motion offense stalls.  I don't know if that makes him good or bad, but it does show he has some instinct.  I'd like to see him play more.

taintlint

I was too consumed with how awesome Dontrell Jefferson was this season to really notice how "terrible" McCurdy was. He was/is a freshman and probably the closest thing to a "pure" shooter this team has. Give him at least more than his freshman year.

Shag66

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 26, 2006, 09:10:50 pm
McCurdy's shortcomings this year can be attributed more to his being a freshman than to his abilities.  He can and will in time be a quality SEC point guard. 

Bacon out...

I agree with the Baconmeister...  He has positives and negatives but he will be a good guard after he gets some age on him...  He isn't as great as many have hyped him up to be on here and he certainly isn't the savior of this team, but as he matures he will bring more and more to the games and will be a good SEC point guard.

JIHawg

February 26, 2006, 09:36:35 pm #89 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:44:13 pm by JIHawg
I think this guy is basketball smart, and that will help him overcome not being all that cat quick on defense.  He stays with his man most of the time, as much as Ronnie does.  He won't make any spectacular plays on defense, won't get many steals, but he will get passes off to big men underneath.  (note pass to Hill who slammed it home.)  By basketball smart, I mean the kid does the little things.  He avoids turnovers, something that Jefferson and Ferguson, both great on defense, don't do.  On a pass to Townes underneath in the Bama game, Townes had a Bama defender draped on his left between him and the basket.  McCurdy throws Townes the ball, but he puts the pass out to Townes right, so the defender couldn't possibly deflect or steal it, Townes caught the ball, after reaching for it, and shot over the defender for a basket.
Lots of players would have thrown the ball straight to Townes, and have it stolen, or wouldn't have thrown it at all, passing a scoring opportunity.

Stick with this guy-his basketball smarts will win some games in the next three years, IMO.

lerxst

Quote from: taintlint on February 26, 2006, 09:34:03 pm
I was too consumed with how awesome Dontrell Jefferson was this season to really notice how "terrible" McCurdy was. He was/is a freshman and probably the closest thing to a "pure" shooter this team has. Give him at least more than his freshman year.

Dontell Jefferson... awesome?   Come on please...  Give me a break.  He has been a bust. 

Richard_white

February 26, 2006, 09:39:32 pm #91 Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:43:53 pm by razorbacks4life27
Better than Jefferson who stands around and foul a 3 point shooter. Come on was this thread started so something can get started. This has to be one of the idiotic threads I"ve seen and I really mean that.

WPS

three

Youre damn right she's not, she's lighting it up for the golf team, at last glance she was leading the Lady Puerto Rico Invitational while her team was tied for second.  Go Amandad McCurdy! Go Lady'Backs! Go Women's Golf!
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

taintlint

Quote from: lerxst on February 26, 2006, 09:39:19 pm

Dontell Jefferson... awesome?   Come on please...  Give me a break.  He has been a bust. 

Ummmmmmmm.......I think you may have missed the slight amount of sarcasm. Jefferson has been a bust but McCurdy will turn out just fine.

UALRGrad

taintlit..... that is the funniest freaking brokebutt avatar I have ever seen.  karma dude. 
If Ole Dork played the University of Hell, I'd buy a Satan jersey.

Uncle Ivan 9/6/2009

lerxst

Quote from: taintlint on February 26, 2006, 09:56:23 pm
Quote from: lerxst on February 26, 2006, 09:39:19 pm

Dontell Jefferson... awesome?   Come on please...  Give me a break.  He has been a bust. 

Ummmmmmmm.......I think you may have missed the slight amount of sarcasm. Jefferson has been a bust but McCurdy will turn out just fine.

Sorry, my bad. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 26, 2006, 09:08:41 pm

Steele is going to make alot of folks look slow and he did it again today against Florida. McCurdy did about as well as anyone else has done on Steele. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognotinMemphis

sure didn't show me much in the Alabama game. I finally got around to watching the 2nd half of that game which I had TiVo'd. He came in and in about a 4 min span, he shot a 3 point air ball, had a couple of shots made on him, and had two fouls called against him. And he looked like such a spastic white boy trying to guard a bigger and better player for 'Bama. I hope that that play isn't indicative of his talent and potential.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

1836hog