Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In most states in-state recuirts commit early to the state school why not Ark

Started by biglewhog77, August 18, 2010, 05:48:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

biglewhog77

If u know u want to be a hog why wait. We have one of the best coaching staffs in the SEC or maybe the country.If u had dreams of running out the A why wait.

LL COOL HOG

Have you not seen our commitment list this year?  You also have to look at finding the best players for the program. Arkansas doesn't have great D1 SEC Talent.

kaiserhog

What's happened to high school football in Arkansas?  It has declined precipitously in South, East, and Central Arkansas.  This is not good for the hogs.

SA Hog Fan

Who in state are we waiting on?  And football season has not even started.  Step back from the ledge.

big_ol_meat

Quote from: kaiserhog on August 18, 2010, 06:19:47 am
What's happened to high school football in Arkansas?  It has declined precipitously in South, East, and Central Arkansas.  This is not good for the hogs.
With the talent they are pulling out of state you don't really have to hunt South Arkansas for raw athletes.  Most of Southern Arkansas is littered with AA teams.  Why take a chance on a standout in a small school when you could have a solid player from say, Dallas? You miss out on a few Corey Williams (went to ASU) occasionally but you MIGHT save on people who couldn't adapt to the game speed and tougher competition.
To all the virgins, thanks for nothing.

Wildhog

Darius Winston, DeAnthony Curtis, Joe Adams, Dennis Johnson, Jarius Wright, DJ Williams, Greg Childs, Chris Gragg and others believe you are mistaken.

In fact, the ratio of players strictly from SOUTH Arkansas compared to NWA is staggeringly lopsided towards South Arkansas. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AndThingsLikeThat

Uhhh, as far as I know the in-state class is pretty much wrapped up.  And that is all before these kids' senior seasons.  The guys from Fayetteville High committed very early.

And IIRC, big name guys like Brey Cook were using the recruiting game to their team's advantage.  By waiting a bit on his committment, it allowed more and more recruiters to check his school out.  In turn, more eyes would get a chance to see his teammates and possibly offer scholarships.  A very wise move by Brey that shows he's a team player.

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 06, 2011, 02:08:10 pm
I haven't worked with Bree Olsen either, but I'd trust her with my junk.

Hugehogsfan

I want us to go out and get the best players available.  If they are from Arkansas then that is fine, if they aren't well I'm find with that.  I trust BP and know that he will evaluate each player that is worth the time and will pick those kids out and offer them a scholarship.  We have focused too much, IMO, on the kids that WANT to be Hogs.  Let's go out and get kids to fall in love with the program and then we will make them Hogs.  Examples, Felix and DD Jones.  I want this program to go forward and that means that you should aspire to get the best, wherever they may be from. 

Love those Hogs

In my opinion you always want to get the best guys in the state year in and year out. But, you don't limit yourself to getting all instate talent and let better out of state talent go elsewhere.  We want to win football games and High School football in Texas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, California, and a few other places are ahead of Arkansas in developing D1 talent.   Arkansas has a few every year, but traditionally not enough to fill a recruiting class.
Hogs 4 Life!

Tusks

are you trolling.....uninformed....in 1st grade.....first time on the internet ?

Quote from: biglewhog77 on August 18, 2010, 05:48:48 am
If u know u want to be a hog why wait. We have one of the best coaching staffs in the SEC or maybe the country.If u had dreams of running out the A why wait.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

byvark

Quote from: biglewhog77 on August 18, 2010, 05:48:48 am

Some of the Arkansas athletes are not native to Arkansas but have moved in (Ziemba comes to mind) and their parents attended other colleges so their allegiance is elsewhere.  Plus, believe it or not, some people in Arkansas actually attend and root for other schools besides the HOGS, including other out-of-state programs like Notre Dame, etc.
I bleed Razorback Red...how about you?  If you are not PASSIONATE about being a HOG fan, what's the deal?

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: byvark on August 18, 2010, 11:14:00 am
Some of the Arkansas athletes are not native to Arkansas but have moved in (Ziemba comes to mind) and their parents attended other colleges so their allegiance is elsewhere.  Plus, believe it or not, some people in Arkansas actually attend and root for other schools besides the HOGS, including other out-of-state programs like Notre Dame, etc.
Brishen Mathews and Derek Johnson are other examples.  Mathews was from Louisiana/Mississippi growing up and Johnson was from Texas, IIRC.

Beavthompson

Quote from: Wildhog on August 18, 2010, 08:26:28 am
Darius Winston, DeAnthony Curtis, Joe Adams, Dennis Johnson, Jarius Wright, DJ Williams, Greg Childs, Chris Gragg and others believe you are mistaken.

In fact, the ratio of players strictly from SOUTH Arkansas compared to NWA is staggeringly lopsided towards South Arkansas. 
Its called L.A. not SOUTH Arkasas.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

big_ol_meat

The Grim Hog

Arkansas high school football as gone to the toilet because the lack of strength training. The kids are never placed in a half-way decent strength program by their coaches. Most kids in Arkansas do not realize how important it is to improve their strength and speed every year. When these coaches start placing these kids in a program in the 7th grade...by the time they are seniors they look and play like Bryan Jones.

nwarazfan

HS football has declined in central, south and eastern Ark.  LR public school football is crap.  Pine Bluff once produced players for not only Ark but OU, Miami and Nebraska.  That program is nothing compared to what it once was.  The smaller programs like Wynne, Newport, Osceola and Stuttgart were once the powerhouses of the state that would have embarrassed any team from NWA except maybe an occassional SD team.  Those programs are a shell of their former selves.  School districts have shrunk.  Does Rivercrest still exist?  Barton?  Rison?  Fordyce?   The economy of the delta and south Ark has driven the population to NWA or elsewhere.  The money isn't there to invest in the programs.  The better the home life, the more affluent the district, the better chance a program has to be successful.  It is why NWA and FS area schools have come to be dominate.  Its why the small private schools dominate central Arkansas.  I'm not sure the Hogs recruiting has suffered much but it has changed.  Now there are players close to the UA especially linemen to recruit.   

It would be huge if something near miraculous happened and kids at the LR public schools or PB or other eastern Ark towns started going out for football again in large numbers and devoted themselves to the game and the programs found resources to devote.  That is probably too much to ask.

Greg ManChilds

Joe Adams, Greg Childs, DJ Williams, Jarius Wright, Seth Oxner, Broderick Green, Van Stumon, Dennis Johnson are all from Little Rock and South. Ryan Mallett and Cobi Hamilton could be argued due to being from Texarkana, but they went to school on TX side.

Depending on the emergence of Deanthony Curtis, he might be another name to add to this list.

We have argubably the best offense in the Nation, and everyone named above is the reason why. In the recent recruiting classes we have not focused as much in the central to southern portion of the state. Those parts of the state cannot consistently produce the talent of a couple years past. But that region did produce what could potentially be one of the best Arkansas teams ever.

NWA has been better at producing talent in the last two years, but it seems that the talent from LR and south are not coming to U of A. Brishen Mathews, Michael Dyer, Anterio Sloan,Parker Mack, Davidell Collins, Greg White, Anthony Rogers, Jesse Grandy, Eric Smiley are all athletes who have signed LOI with SEC or Big XII-II in the last two years.

Central Arkansas and South are still producing D-1 talent but at this point and time, they are not what we need.

IronHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 19, 2010, 02:02:42 am
HS football has declined in central, south and eastern Ark.  LR public school football is crap.  Pine Bluff once produced players for not only Ark but OU, Miami and Nebraska.  That program is nothing compared to what it once was.  The smaller programs like Wynne, Newport, Osceola and Stuttgart were once the powerhouses of the state that would have embarrassed any team from NWA except maybe an occassional SD team.  Those programs are a shell of their former selves.  School districts have shrunk.  Does Rivercrest still exist?  Barton?  Rison?  Fordyce?   The economy of the delta and south Ark has driven the population to NWA or elsewhere.  The money isn't there to invest in the programs.  The better the home life, the more affluent the district, the better chance a program has to be successful.  It is why NWA and FS area schools have come to be dominate.  Its why the small private schools dominate central Arkansas.  I'm not sure the Hogs recruiting has suffered much but it has changed.  Now there are players close to the UA especially linemen to recruit.  

It would be huge if something near miraculous happened and kids at the LR public schools or PB or other eastern Ark towns started going out for football again in large numbers and devoted themselves to the game and the programs found resources to devote.  That is probably too much to ask.

NWA has good football TEAMS but when it comes to D1 players per dollar or student it is nothing special.  Exclude linemen and QB's and it is almost totally devoid of any college level players.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hey Super

Recruiting**......am i the only one that has noticed this in both of his post.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

nwarazfan

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2010, 06:36:22 pm
NWA has good football TEAMS but when it comes to D1 players per dollar or student it is nothing special.  Exclude linemen and QB's and it is almost totally devoid of any college level players.

Sure.  Besides a number of D1 BCS conf linemen(which I stated) and D1 BCS conf qb recruits.  The point of my post relates directly to recruiting.  But you know that.  You just have to get your agenda stated again.

IronHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 19, 2010, 07:50:28 pm
Sure.  Besides a number of D1 BCS conf linemen(which I stated) and D1 BCS conf qb recruits.  The point of my post relates directly to recruiting.  But you know that.  You just have to get your agenda stated again.

There is no agenda in my post above.  I'll flame like all get out in a GSD thread but this is far more objective.

The money, population, and best coaches have shifted to NWA, but the area cannot seem to turn out the numbers of high D1 recruits one would expect with the type of resources the area devotes to HS football.

When the Hogs line up this year the vast majority of players (all the skill players) will be from areas of Arkansas not in NWA and out of state.  When you consider the thousands of kids in NWA and the millions spent on athletics that is strange indeed.

Every school in the 7A west should have at least one high D1 prospect.  More if you think about it.

nwarazfan

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2010, 08:14:08 pm

There is no agenda in my post above.  I'll flame like all get out in a GSD thread but this is far more objective.

The money, population, and best coaches have shifted to NWA, but the area cannot seem to turn out the numbers of high D1 recruits one would expect with the type of resources the area devotes to HS football.

When the Hogs line up this year the vast majority of players (all the skill players) will be from areas of Arkansas not in NWA and out of state.  When you consider the thousands of kids in NWA and the millions spent on athletics that is strange indeed.

Every school in the 7A west should have at least one high D1 prospect.  More if you think about it.

The demographics of NWA vs Pulaski Co or Jefferson Co or Bradley Co.  Think about it.  It isn't strange that NWA is producing D1 linemen and not rb's or db's. 

How many D1 recruits has Cabot produced over the years in spite of their population growth, enrollment growth and football factory they built?  Bentonville isn't different from Cabot.  Neither is Rogers.  Why do you hold them to a different standard? 

IronHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 19, 2010, 08:35:30 pm
The demographics of NWA vs C Ark.  You think about it.  It isn't strange that NWA is producing D1 linemen and not rb's or db's.

I have a good grasp of the issues at hand.  To put is simply society is breaking down in the areas that should be producing the SEC football players and NWA doesn't have the athletes.

However it gets old when post after post asks what happened to football in non-NWA Arkansas when the backbone of the team is in-state players not from NWA.

nwarazfan

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2010, 08:40:15 pm

I have a good grasp of the issues at hand.  To put is simply society is breaking down in the areas that should be producing the SEC football players and NWA doesn't have the athletes.

However it gets old when post after post asks what happened to football in non-NWA Arkansas when the backbone of the team is in-state players not from NWA.

I edited the post to which you replied. 

Why does it frustrate you when you know the truth is Ark high school football has changed from what it was a generation ago and many programs in south, central and east Ark aren't what they once were?  It is sad and a shame what has happened in so many areas and frustrating to know we could possibly have even more recruits if not for that change.

IronHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 19, 2010, 08:46:03 pm
I edited the post to which you replied. 

Why does it frustrate you when you know the truth is Ark high school football has changed from what it was a generation ago and many programs in south, central and east Ark aren't what they once were?  It is sad and a shame what has happened in so many areas and frustrating to know we could possibly have even more recruits if not for that change.

And that would be a highly non-PC discussion for the politics forum that we have had plenty of times that we should not enter into here.

Pine Bluff and Dollarway High Schools have more potential D1 football players walking the halls than the entire 7A West combined.  There is no longer anyone there to take an interest and get them on the field like when Glover was the coach at PB.  It will only get worse with time.

IronHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 19, 2010, 08:35:30 pm
The demographics of NWA vs Pulaski Co or Jefferson Co or Bradley Co.  Think about it.  It isn't strange that NWA is producing D1 linemen and not rb's or db's.

How many D1 recruits has Cabot produced over the years in spite of their population growth, enrollment growth and football factory they built?  Bentonville isn't different from Cabot.  Neither is Rogers.  Why do you hold them to a different standard? 

You would think Cabot, Benton, or Bryant would also turn out a D1 prospect at some point.  They have solid programs.

Demographics plays a role, but you would think a big, mean kid would come out at some point?

nwarazfan

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2010, 08:50:44 pm

Pine Bluff and Dollarway High Schools have more potential D1 football players walking the halls than the entire 7A West combined.  There is no longer anyone there to take an interest and get them on the field like when Glover was the coach at PB.  It will only get worse with time.

I know this.  That is the case at a number of the programs I listed.  It is a shame what has happened and makes some of us dislike the private schools especially a certain one knowing all of the advantages they enjoy.

nwarazfan

Quote from: IronHog on August 19, 2010, 08:53:16 pm
You would think Cabot, Benton, or Bryant would also turn out a D1 prospect at some point.  They have solid programs.

Demographics plays a role, but you would think a big, mean kid would come out at some point?

You would think.  I would also think that JB could produce a recruit every now and then except its a town that focuses on high school bask.  Good to see another bask town in F. City produce a football recruit finally.

kaiserhog

I think the decline of high school football in Central, Eastern, and South Arkansas has especially hurt us on the defensive side of the ball.

big_ol_meat

IronHog

Quote from: big_ol_meat on August 20, 2010, 08:12:26 am
Watson Chapel will beat Shiloh in the kickoff classic........

You think?

Chapel's big QB moved on didn't he?

big_ol_meat

Quote from: IronHog on August 20, 2010, 12:45:11 pm
You think?

Chapel's big QB moved on didn't he?
I think he is a receiver this year. Just after the way I watched Chapel play last year makes me think they are the most physical team in the state of Arkansas.  They will be ready.  And if anyone is going to have the chance to beat Shiloh, I believe a PB team (talent) that has good coaching (Chapel) will be the ones to do it.