Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

William Mills

Started by johnny cash, January 25, 2006, 08:31:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny cash

Sitting here tonight I thought of him.  Does anyone remember watching him play?.

WxHog

January 25, 2006, 08:35:29 pm #1 Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 09:15:05 pm by WxHog
       Yep.   Good player.     Too bad he had a drug problem.   If I remember right, he got kicked off the team in one of Nolans first years. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I think his number was 44.  He was unbelievable.  Never forget the night he dunked over 3 Texas players and hung on the rim with one hand and pointed at each one, one at time.  They called a technical foul, but it was worth it.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jkstock04

When did this guy play??  It musta been before my time...
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 25, 2006, 08:40:00 pm
When did this guy play?? It musta been before my time...

William Mills was awesome.  King of the reverse jam.  Played in the 80's under Sutton, maybe early Nolan.  Started career at Tennessee, transferred to Arkansas.  From Georgia.  6'7 I think.  One of my favorite Hogs of all time.  Gunned down outside a Fayetteville nightclub.  Somebody else add to this......

WxHog

January 25, 2006, 08:42:46 pm #5 Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 08:44:25 pm by WxHog

Mid 80s.   I wanna say his last season was either 85-86 ot 86-87 season.    Wow...I completely forgot that he was gunned down!

jkstock04

Quote from: WxHog on January 25, 2006, 08:42:46 pm

Mid 80s.   I wanna say his last season was either 85-86 ot 86-87 season. Wow...I completely forgot that he was gunned down!
Gunned down by the cops or by someone else??
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Method Ham

I was about 6 or 7 when I first started going to Barnhill.  Mills was my favorite player and I remember how awesome he was.  Had no idea he transferred from Tennessee.  Sad to remember how he went out.  I think he was a big coke head and got shot outside what is now Cool Water in Fayettenam.
OUR PRIORITIES ARE ALL MIXED UP IN THIS STATE.  WE HOLD OUR ATHLETIC COACHES MORE ACCOUNTABLE THAN OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS.

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on January 25, 2006, 08:42:24 pm

William Mills was awesome. King of the reverse jam. Played in the 80's under Sutton, maybe early Nolan. Started career at Tennessee, transferred to Arkansas. From Georgia. 6'7 I think. One of my favorite Hogs of all time. Gunned down outside a Fayetteville nightclub. Somebody else add to this......

He could jump out of the gym, slasher, rarely saw him lay it in, he always seemed to dunk it AND he could shoot the 3.  It was almost too effortless for him.  Too bad.  He could have played for a long time in the NBA. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Hawgon

It was 91 or 92 when he got blown away with a shotgun by some dude.  Was it Mardis Gras?  All I remember is that it was a really cheezy place.  They used to have the "fishbowl" drink.  A great big bowl/glass full of nasty red darn that was pretty strong.  I remember seeing Oliver Miller in there one night after a game cozied up in a corner sipping on one of those fish bowls.  His hands were so big that it made the glass look like regular wine glass.

Hogs381

Played in early 80's I believe he was kicked off the team before Nolan arrived.

He played some in 1986 with Byron Irvin and Mike Ratliff. I seem to remember that he was shot by an ex- razorback track member. He really could have been great.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

HogginIT

I remember him very well. He use to work for me some after he got in all his trouble and wasn't playing basketball any more. He was a very likable guy. I used to ride him every day about screwing up and not making the best of his talents. It's too bad he got mixed up with the wrong bunch of people.
Just wait until next Year!© Official slogan of Razorback football.

lookhogwardangel

Was shot by Michael Byrd, former Razorback track athlete. Alcohol was involved.

Sonofahog

I thought his number was 5?  He could have been great!
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Richard_white

william mills..man that is old skool..lol..remember a guy name willie cuts same as mills but he is still around

Sonofahog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on January 25, 2006, 09:05:46 pm
william mills..man that is old skool..lol..remember a guy name willie cuts same as mills but he is still around

I roomed with Willie Cutts at Eddie Sutton's Razorback Basketball camp,  and won a camp championship with him on my team.  Mills and Cutts.  Blasts from the past!!
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

WxHog

January 25, 2006, 09:09:20 pm #17 Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:11:02 pm by WxHog
Quote from: stillahog on January 25, 2006, 09:04:36 pm
I thought his number was 5? He could have been great!

You might be right.   I wanna say he was #4 or #5.   I know it wasn't #44.    He did play some under Eddie Sutton, but it was either Nolans first or second season when he was kicked off.   I am trying to "google" it to look it up, but it is difficult to find an answer since this was before the internet was around. 

HogginIT

I am going to go with 5 if my memory serves me correctly.
Just wait until next Year!© Official slogan of Razorback football.

Razorjacks

Shag66

It was #5.  He played from 83-84 to 86-87 I think.  He had more natural talent than anyone I have ever seen in a Razorback uniform.  I remember the Red-White game in 85.  He put on a dunking exhibition unlike anything I have seen outside the NBA.  He was shot outside Mardi Gras (Where Cool Water is now)  I thought it was a handgun and not a shotgun though.  It's a shame.  He was a special athlete.  There were certainly some thugs on Eddies last team though.  Nolan eventually kicked him off the team I think.  Damn shame...

jkcrunch

William was a good guy he just got mixed up in then drug scene.  My wife and I first apartment together was right below Kenny Hutchinson and his brother Doug, William was always around.  He was a great talent but he had really wasted it.   It was a tragic the way he died.   Byrd is the man, a former UA trackster, who killed him at Mardi Gras.   He wore #5.  Kenny was another great kid who had talent but really struggle with tne pressure and also got mixed up in drugs.   Last I heard of Kenny was he was living at Atlanta and doing very well.   Unfortunately his broither Doug committed suicide in Fayetteville around the holidays.  Anyone in NWA with kids in youth basketball knew Dougie.   

mr4pt

William Mills was awesome. King of the reverse jam. Played in the 80's under Sutton, maybe early Nolan. Started career at Tennessee, transferred to Arkansas. From Georgia. 6'7 I think. One of my favorite Hogs of all time. Gunned down outside a Fayetteville nightclub. Somebody else add to this......

He was gunned down INSIDE Mardi Gras, just as you enter the dooor.....I was there, I hid under a pool table.

rude1

I remember him being number five. Had all the tools you needed physically. Big, strong, soft touch, could handle, could defend.  He along with Kenny Hutchinson were kicked off the team in Nolans second season because of drugs. It was the year we had beaten a highly ranked Kansas team that had Danny Manning. We looked like we might be well on our way when we lost both those guys in the middle of the season. We ended up playing ASU in the infamous NIT game. To this day I believe if those kids had have kept their heads straight, we would have been in the big dance in Nolans second year...

WxHog

Quote from: jkcrunch on January 25, 2006, 09:19:03 pm
William was a good guy he just got mixed up in then drug scene. My wife and I first apartment together was right below Kenny Hutchinson and his brother Doug, William was always around. He was a great talent but he had really wasted it. It was a tragic the way he died. Byrd is the man, a former UA trackster, who killed him at Mardi Gras. He wore #5. Kenny was another great kid who had talent but really struggle with tne pressure and also got mixed up in drugs. Last I heard of Kenny was he was living at Atlanta and doing very well. Unfortunately his broither Doug committed suicide in Fayetteville around the holidays. Anyone in NWA with kids in youth basketball knew Douglas.

Wow....another blast from the past.  Kenny Hutchinson.   Wasn't it Kenny that wore #4?

mr4pt

QuoteMardi Gras in Fayetteville used to run a "William Mills Special."   Free shots at the door.

Cold.....

..but funny as hell

HogInaStrangeLand

Man, that is going back in my memory...

I was a ball-boy for the Razorbacks during those years...before it became a marketing tool.

Mills was awesome, Sitting behind the goal watching that guy sore, it did seem effortless.

I was only about 10 at the time, so didn't know why he got removed from the team.
Later I remember hearing about the shooting...
That kind of story makes you mourn a little...

Almost certain he was number 5.

Arkapigdiesel

I'll never forget when Mills was trying to inbound the basketball from the side and no one was open and he actually shot the ball from out of bounds and nailed it!!!  The refs gave the ball to the opposing team.  I can't remember who we were playing.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

98hogs

The game was tied going into the final minute.  Eddie was in his last year as the Razorback coach.  Nolan was in a Purple and white polka dot shirt coaching Tulsa.  The game was in Barton Coliseum.  Willima Mills stole the ball and came down court and did a monster reverse slam to win the game.  He had the potential to be awesome.

WxHog

Quote from: 98hogs on January 25, 2006, 09:45:50 pm
The game was tied going into the final minute. Eddie was in his last year as the Razorback coach. Nolan was in a Purple and white polka dot shirt coaching Tulsa. The game was in Barton Coliseum. Willima Mills stole the ball and came down court and did a monster reverse slam to win the game. He had the potential to be awesome.

I remember that game!  CBS televised that game in Barton when we beat Tulsa.  Little did we know that Nolan would join us the next season.   

Mark Martin Fan

Best basketball game I ever watched at the HPER building was when Mills and some of his buddies were playing a bunch of the football players.  Mills took off from the free throw line for one of his dunks.  Great basketball player, shameful waste of talent.  I was at the UA from 84-89, thanks for the flashback!!!
Hog Fan for Life!!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

I remeber Mills in a game against Ohio State, I think...in Dec of '85 ??? It was in LR. I was in Fayetteville studying for finals. He was wearing "Polo" socks with his uniform. (He was #5). The Hogs rallied and MIlls was at the line in the final seconds with FT's. The camera showed him just laughing at the FT line...classic Mills. He was a wild man...but a nice guy. What a talent on the basketball floor. I heard he had gotten his life in order prior to being shot. He was fun to watch play....no doubt.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hog caller

i remember Mills, and sydney and the boys but they aren't on our team now and these are the ones who won tonight. GO HOGS>

Hoggam's Razor

The best memory I have of Mills......he was in the doghouse with Sutton and there was some suspension or a lot of tension....anyway, he finally got to play and he made some incredible play and it shook Barnhill up and blew the roof off.......as he was running back down the court Sutton and Mills high-fived and Barnhill blew UP.
I hate it when people complain.

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 25, 2006, 08:39:04 pm
I think his number was 44. He was unbelievable. Never forget the night he dunked over 3 Texas players and hung on the rim with one hand and pointed at each one, one at time. They called a technical foul, but it was worth it.

Anyone else remember this?

Quote from: hog caller on January 25, 2006, 09:59:43 pm
i remember Mills, and sydney and the boys but they aren't on our team now and these are the ones who won tonight. GO HOGS>

Isn't it past your bedtime?

PigDaddyKane

He started at Tenn and transferred to Ark while Sutton was coach.  Sutton suspended him a couple of times and finally kicked him off the team during Sutton's last year.  Nolan gave him one more chance his first year.  Nolan wound up kicking him off the team as well. 

Sad story, he was an awesome tallent.
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

pignuts

Rebel,  I was at the Ohio State game when Mills hit the free throws.  It was in Pine Bluff, that is where I'm from.  Anyway, he was a really talented player, my favorite at the time.

ENHOG

HE WAS #5. I thought he was the next coming of Micheal Jordan.
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

Oklahawg

Mills had serious issues. Was he the guy that went to dunk on a fast break in the Salt Lake City NCAA game vs. St. John's and had it bounce off the back of the iron? IT happened late, as we were making a run at them and that was the last gasp. He would have fit, talentwise, with Nolan's crew from 88-95.

He hung out with a couple of young ladies I was friends with. I had no idea, of course, why they hung out with him. The convictions, and later his death, explained that to me.

The few times he was around he was really cool.

Hutch was #4. I remember seeing him after games coolly ambling into Fuzzy's where he'd get a 6-pack and a sack of food in exchange for a grin and a nod. Lordy, lordy, who knows what else went on that I was totally oblivious too.

Big O would come by my apartment his first year at UA (my last). Just a big ole kid with a big heart and a big appetite. A buddy has a jersey he traded for booze after the season was over. O was worried (that year) about getting caught. That worry subsided quickly, I suspect.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 25, 2006, 10:40:19 pm
Mills had serious issues. Was he the guy that went to dunk on a fast break in the Salt Lake City NCAA game vs. St. John's and had it bounce off the back of the iron? IT happened late, as we were making a run at them and that was the last gasp. He would have fit, talentwise, with Nolan's crew from 88-95.

He hung out with a couple of young ladies I was friends with. I had no idea, of course, why they hung out with him. The convictions, and later his death, explained that to me.

The few times he was around he was really cool.

Hutch was #4. I remember seeing him after games coolly ambling into Fuzzy's where he'd get a 6-pack and a sack of food in exchange for a grin and a nod. Lordy, lordy, who knows what else went on that I was totally oblivious too.

Big O would come by my apartment his first year at UA (my last). Just a big ole kid with a big heart and a big appetite. A buddy has a jersey he traded for booze after the season was over. O was worried (that year) about getting caught. That worry subsided quickly, I suspect.

Very nice, Okla, thanks for sharing.  #400 for you.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: ENHOG on January 25, 2006, 10:36:20 pm
HE WAS #5. I thought he was the next coming of Micheal Jordan.

I remember thinking the same thing. His athleticism was freaky to watch.

I believe he was years ahead of his time. There just weren't many players in the 80's who could do the things he could do. He reminded me of Dominique with the way he could float through the air.

I heard that a guy walked into a club completely coked out and shot him dead by the pool tables. All I could think about was how Mills was supposed to be in the NBA. It was tragic.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

PintailKiller

The thing I remember most about Mills was the missed reverse dunk in NCAA tournament game when he was all alone on a steal.  I forget who we were plaing, St Johns maybe.  The Hogs went on to lose that game.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

southeasthog

He missed that dunk and Allie Freeman picked it up and scored but I thought Eddie was going to blow a gasket! lol
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

The Coletrain

I officially moved my wristbands to my forearms when William Mills arrived at Arkansas.  I thought he was the coolest brother I'd ever seen.   ;D
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

hoggystyle78

Tragic what happened to him, I remember watching him play, he had all the tools, such a waste of talent.

DirkPiggler

Only thing I have to add is that the club had changed it's name to Hollywood's by that time.  I know this because I was there pretty much every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night right up until the night Mills got shot.  The shooting happened while I was en route to the '91 Independence Bowl, or odds are I would've seen it first hand.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

AWHog

Quote from: UAGrad95 on January 25, 2006, 08:41:03 pm
Mardi Gras in Fayetteville used to run a "William Mills Special." Free shots at the door.

Not even close to funny.

Hardwork321

U did no Williams Mills.  He was from Memphis and Nolan recruit him.

Hums

Dont think sutton kicked him off, because he played when we lost to St. Johns with Chris Mullin and Bill Weddington in the NCCA Tourney.