Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Iowa State

Started by Hoggie17, October 26, 2017, 06:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

Beats TCU this weekend, Matt Campbell moves up to the top 3 of  my wish list.

ricepig

You got an extra $6m or more laying around for his buyout?

Hoggie17

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 06:51:32 am
I guess we better keep CBB, we can't afford anyone that can win.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 06:53:30 am
I guess we better keep CBB, we can't afford anyone that can win.

Didn't say that, just that it will take a tremendous amount of money to hire some of these coaches with large buyouts should they choose to leave their school. If you don't think that enters into the conversation heavily, you're just fooling yourself.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

The_Iceman

Good coach. But he will have better offers than Arkansas.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 07:08:31 am
Good coach. But he will have better offers than Arkansas.
This is my concern as well.  Also, not sure some guys want to come to the SEC.  unless they just love a challenge, why leave a place where you play several cupcakes a year to go to a place where you are facing absolute killers every week?

Hoggie17

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#18-minnesota--1112-million-8
Well there you have our AD is #16 but can't afford a winning football coach.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 06:47:25 am
Beats TCU this weekend, Matt Campbell moves up to the top 3 of  my wish list.
But moves into the top 3 for administrations at UCLA, Tennessee, Auburn (if necessary), Nebraska

LRRandy

Quote from: Sho Nuff on October 26, 2017, 07:17:47 am
This is my concern as well.  Also, not sure some guys want to come to the SEC.  unless they just love a challenge, why leave a place where you play several cupcakes a year to go to a place where you are facing absolute killers Alabama every week?once a season
fixed it for you. Nobody but Alabama scares anyone anymore. That ship has sailed.
This is fun, isn't it.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 06:59:22 am
Didn't say that, just that it will take a tremendous amount of money to hire some of these coaches with large buyouts should they choose to leave their school. If you don't think that enters into the conversation heavily, you're just fooling yourself.

CBB's approx 5.9 mil buyout + CMC approx 6 mil buyout + CMC salary to leave Iowa State at 3+ mil. Not to mention buyouts for coordinators and position coaches. That would roughly be 16-17 mil for just the 1st year of Campbell coming here.

Hoggie17

October 26, 2017, 07:41:46 am #11 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:02:18 am by Hoggie17
Quote from: LRRandy on October 26, 2017, 07:31:20 am
fixed it for you. Nobody but Alabama scares anyone anymore. That ship has sailed.
SEC was in its prime 1998 until 2014.

We take in 114.2 million a year which is #16 of all college AD's in the US. After all expenses how much is left?  Enough to pay for a winning HC?  If not just keep big boy, but reduce his salary for poor performance.

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2017, 06:59:22 am
I'll take Norvell behind door #2 for his $900,000 buyout. ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hoggie17

Quote from: Redhogs on October 26, 2017, 08:01:07 am
Red hogs he is one of 3 coaches that I think would stay at Arkansas and is something to consider.

ur

Yes, Norvell is the best deal financially between Campbell, Brohm, Norvell. Plus I think he would come no matter the situation of the AD.

Drop the Mike

It's actually 9.4 mil plus a couple million more for his assistants which he would bring with him

ur

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 26, 2017, 08:09:17 am
It's actually 9.4 mil plus a couple million more for his assistants which he would bring with him
6.2 + .2 = $6.4 mill total  I posted the contract in another thread. But that is still to high for our AD I'm sure.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on October 26, 2017, 07:40:44 am
CBB's approx 5.9 mil buyout + CMC approx 6 mil buyout + CMC salary to leave Iowa State at 3+ mil. Not to mention buyouts for coordinators and position coaches. That would roughly be 16-17 mil for just the 1st year of Campbell coming here.

Not a Campbell fan, however we are not "li'l ole Arkansas". 

A couple of weeks ago I checked out the Form 990 for the Razorback Foundation.  The most recent filing was for 2015.  In that filing there was approx. $7 million in "income" with $52 million in net assets.  Net assets includes all assets minus all liabilities, so represents assets available.  I have no way of knowing what 2016 is but $52 million available (2015) vs. coaching change costs tells me that we can afford what we want. 

Not only is Norvell a much more feasible financial choice, he is my choice.  If you have not had chance to see Memphis v. Houston game, you should check it out.  Was my favorite football game of the year, or maybe for 6 years. 

Paul

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 26, 2017, 08:13:17 am
Not a Campbell fan, however we are not "li'l ole Arkansas". 

A couple of weeks ago I checked out the Form 990 for the Razorback Foundation.  The most recent filing was for 2015.  In that filing there was approx. $7 million in "income" with $52 million in net assets.  Net assets includes all assets minus all liabilities, so represents assets available.  I have no way of knowing what 2016 is but $52 million available (2015) vs. coaching change costs tells me that we can afford what we want. 

Not only is Norvell a much more feasible financial choice, he is my choice.  If you have not had chance to see Memphis v. Houston game, you should check it out.  Was my favorite football game of the year, or maybe for 6 years.
wonder why the Norvell thread was moved to "General Sports"?  Hmmm

Drop the Mike

Quote from: ur on October 26, 2017, 08:12:18 am
6.2 + .2 = $6.4 mill total  I posted the contract in another thread. But that is still to high for our AD I'm sure.

Ok good deal. I was just going by the buyout article I read yesterday

Hoggie17

Lady Razorback, "Not a Campbell fan, however we are not "li'l ole Arkansas"."

I am sick of post that indicate that we are. Only 15 schools take take in more money.   

Pig in the Pokey

didnt we just save 9,000,000 by actually reading fatty's contract?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

rhames

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 26, 2017, 08:22:18 am

Well I don't think it works that way lol.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 08:20:53 am

I am sick of post that indicate that we are. Only 15 schools take take in more money.   
join the club. Many (most) of these dudes have a MASSIVE inferiority complex. It annoys the darn out of me. I am from Austin, i was raised to be full of self confidence to a fault. I CHOSE to be a Razorback. And I guess that's why I see it differently, but this poorliloleArkiesaw crap is disgusting. They believe what the haters say, instead of what their own eyes say. Arkansas has some HUGE advantages built in, but all they concentrate on are the few minor disadvantages.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

Hoggie17

We can afford a winning HC.

rhames

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 08:20:53 am

I wanted to make clear that I wasn't citing financial info in support of Campbell, rather that I despise hearing that AR can't afford this or that. 

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 26, 2017, 08:24:04 am
join the club. Many (most) of these dudes have a MASSIVE inferiority complex. It annoys the darn out of me. I am from Austin, i was raised to be full of self confidence to a fault. I CHOSE to be a Razorback. And I guess that's why I see it differently, but this poorliloleArkiesaw crap is disgusting. They believe what the haters say, instead of what their own eyes say. Arkansas has some HUGE advantages built in, but all they concentrate on are the few minor disadvantages.

I agree completely. 

Lady Razorback

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rhames on October 26, 2017, 08:24:51 am

It would be worth it though. IMO
I agree Matt Campbell would be a slam dunk hire AND a great fit here. And I also think 6,000,000 aint crap. look, we just did a frivolous 100 million expansion, hell it ran over budget by well over 6 million and nobody batted an eye. Consider a coach that can actually fill up the renovation as an "unforseen cost" and roll with the punches, i say. It's a drop in teh bucket compared to what a top flight coach can bring to the program (state).
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

Hoggie17

Quote from: Lady Razorback on October 26, 2017, 08:25:13 am
I wanted to make clear that I wasn't citing financial info in support of Campbell, rather that I despise hearing that AR can't afford this or that. 

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I don't know why people keep throwing that crap that we are poor lil ole Ark when in fact we are not. Thank you Lady.

rhames

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 26, 2017, 08:27:46 am
I agree Matt Campbell would be a slam dunk hire AND a great fit here. And I also think 6,000,000 aint crap. look, we just did a frivolous 100 million expansion, hell it ran over budget by well over 6 million and nobody batted an eye. Consider a coach that can actually fill up the renovation as an "unforseen cost" and roll with the punches, i say. It's a drop in teh bucket compared to what a top flight coach can bring to the program (state).

I'm with you. Campbell is my number 1 by far.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rhames on October 26, 2017, 08:29:47 am

I'm with you. Campbell is my number 1 by far.
I'm a Leach then Campbell and I dont see any reason to go further down the list, but there are still many good names. And long term I think Campbell may be the smarter hire if it was me. SO many out there better than Fatty.
@Slackaveli

EastexHawg

The Big 12 is tough to figure.  So far TCU's only good win is against Oklahoma State, but how good is Oklahoma State?  Their wins are against Tulsa, South Alabama, Pitt, Texas Tech, Baylor, and in overtime against a 3-4 Texas team.  TCU beat a ranked West Virginia team, but West Virginia really hasn't beaten anyone (East Carolina, Delaware State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Baylor) either. 

Maybe we will find out how good TCU is in the next three weeks.  They play Iowa State, Texas, and Oklahoma.  Iowa State is still somewhat of an unknown (I know they beat Oklahoma), Texas has a losing record, and then there is the showdown with OU.

Danny J

Yeah but I read here on HV that we can simply sell Crystal Bridges to pay for it. Any more questions?

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on October 26, 2017, 08:01:07 am

No doubt, is that his buyout now? It was $500,000 before he signed his extension last May, I hadn't seen an update.

https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/mike-norvell/

ShadowHawg

Have you Campbell fans actually followed the Cyclones this season?

Campbell lucked into recent success due to his starting qb leaving the team. The backup is so much better it's not even funny. How can a coach be so far off in his evaluation of the most important position on the team?

He is still coaching another guys kids also. There is zero evidence that he can sustain success in a P5 conference with his own recruits.

He is a long way from being a slam dunk hire.

aloha_kid

Interesting the way a coach can move up or down with a single win or loss. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 26, 2017, 09:26:03 am
Have you Campbell fans actually followed the Cyclones this season?

Campbell lucked into recent success due to his starting qb leaving the team. The backup is so much better it's not even funny. How can a coach be so far off in his evaluation of the most important position on the team?

He is still coaching another guys kids also. There is zero evidence that he can sustain success in a P5 conference with his own recruits.

He is a long way from being a slam dunk hire.

Shhh don't present facts to fans who see a single game win or loss as an indicator of a coaches true ability to run a program.

ricepig

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 26, 2017, 09:28:43 am
Shhh don't present facts to fans who see a single game win or loss as an indicator of a coaches true ability to run a program.

I think he's a good coach, but is he worth that big of a buyout??

870hogfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 26, 2017, 08:22:18 am

Classy....

hoghiker

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 26, 2017, 08:24:51 am
We can afford a winning HC.
So can a lot of other programs. Arkansas is financially sound and can play with the big boys with cash. Money is going to be what it is. Market value in a very inflated market. I'm not sure that money will be the determining factor for a coach choosing one school over the other. The money is going to be there. Are we a top 25 school. Maybe. I'll concede probably even but that means there are going to be 5 or 6 schools in front of us looking for a coach. You can call that an inferiority complex if you want. Call it what you like. It is what it is.