Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Like him or not

Started by secfan30, September 25, 2017, 11:57:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

secfan30

Can we stop with the carpet bagger comments? It's not really an insult like it was 100 years ago and shows a backwoods ignorance that gives our state and fans a bad name.

10thPlanet

Quote from: secfan30 on September 25, 2017, 11:57:10 pm
Can we stop with the carpet bagger comments? It's not really an insult like it was 100 years ago and shows a backwoods ignorance that gives our state and fans a bad name.
I don't refer to him as a carpet bagger, but what do you think they would call him at Bama?

FrozenHam

Agreed.  Enough with the ignorance and intolerance.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: 10thPlanet on September 26, 2017, 12:07:20 am
I don't refer to him as a carpet bagger, but what do you think they would call him at Bama?
unemployed?
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

MissippHog

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on September 26, 2017, 12:13:30 am
unemployed?
Haha, beat me to it. 
I agree with OP though, just stop with all of the juvenile names (Bert, for one.) 

jkstock04

Great idea for a thread. I've never called Long a carpet bagger....but this thread makes me think about it. Do the Jeff Long worshippers get offended by this?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 26, 2017, 12:18:20 am
Great idea for a thread. I've never called Long a carpet bagger....but this thread makes me think about it. Do the Jeff Long worshippers get offended by this?
::)

Jack Kemp

urkillnmesmalls

I've thought this for years, and I'm glad someone finally said something about it.  The schools in NWA aren't better because Arkansans woke up one day and decided to put more focus on improving education.  It's because people from other areas of the country moved in who recognize the value of education, and have taken steps to improve it, alongside native Arkansans.  FACT....like it or not.  To insinuate that people from "the north" are somehow a detriment is being VERY myopic. 

For every "I'm smarter than you hicks from the south" northerner who looks down at southerners, there is one who loves the friendliness and slower pace of things here, in addition to valuing education.  It's just a worn out concept.  We need diversity for us all to grow.  This mythical Mason Dixon line has an ugly history, and we're all just in the United States of America now.  Well, except for Texas, because they think they can secede tomorrow and be just fine.  ::)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: MissippHog on September 26, 2017, 12:15:22 am
Haha, beat me to it. 
I agree with OP though, just stop with all of the juvenile names (Bert, for one.)
Sorry to steal your thunder on that.  I must add, however, that I agree with you and OP.  I have never understood the level of immaturity and disrespect shown by some.

Jack Kemp

JaketheSnake

People offended by Jeff Long should kneel when he comes out this Saturday.  Show your solidarity against the evilness!

Hoggie17

Most Arkansas fans don't care where you are from if preforming at a high level. For example, one of favorite coaches came from Montana.

Inhogswetrust

He wouldn't have lasted in the job this long at Bama. They are a win at all cost program.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Nobody worships Jeff. Some think he's doing a good job and other don't. Some that think he's done a terrible job are so bent out of shape they are using derogatory terms towards him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoctorSusscrofa

Where's Saban from? Muscle Shoals?
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 26, 2017, 12:23:31 am
I've thought this for years, and I'm glad someone finally said something about it.  The schools in NWA aren't better because Arkansans woke up one day and decided to put more focus on improving education.  It's because people from other areas of the country moved in who recognize the value of education, and have taken steps to improve it, alongside native Arkansans.  FACT....like it or not.  To insinuate that people from "the north" are somehow a detriment is being VERY myopic. 

For every "I'm smarter than you hicks from the south" northerner who looks down at southerners, there is one who loves the friendliness and slower pace of things here, in addition to valuing education.  It's just a worn out concept.  We need diversity for us all to grow.  This mythical Mason Dixon line has an ugly history, and we're all just in the United States of America now.  Well, except for Texas, because they think they can secede tomorrow and be just fine.  ::)   

What? I thought it was against the rules to use logic, reason and common sense around here.   ???

jkstock04

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 26, 2017, 07:03:36 am
Nobody worships Jeff. Some think he's doing a good job and other don't. Some that think he's done a terrible job are so bent out of shape they are using derogatory terms towards him.
I can't wait til I get something else in the mail regarding our student athlete academic achievements. That'll be really neat.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HeathWimp

I just want an AD that didn't flunk Contract Negotiations 101.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hogsanity

IF you are not one calling him a carpetbagger, then this thread was not aimed at you. There are a few posters here that do, but if you read all of their posts, they are obviously playing a character or are truly stuck in 1866.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BrickTwnHog

mine as well add California to that. They want to secede as well.

PORKULATOR

well you're on the right track but only close. As sad as will be for some around here, The Clinton's actually fixed our education needs as a state and put us on the current path in the late 80's. I lived it, followed the politics of it, and saw it work.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

Can we stop with the carpet bagger cjameswoodrum@student.godleyisd.netomments? It's not really an insult like it was 100 years ago and shows a backwoods ignorance that gives our state and fans a bad name.

People who don't know and understand historical references gives our state a bad name. You sir are a scalawag.

Jeff Long ran Pitt in the ditch and he is running the UA Football Program in the Ditch , He getting rich doing it and since he is a Yankee he is a Carpetbagger by that historical definition. Plus Lanny would ban me if I called him a more modern term like $@B
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogs-n-Roses

I don't like the name calling thing either. Used to do it and apologized and quit for a long time. Then a certain group of people came on here and outrite were calling people idiots, ignorant, stupid... when anyone saw something different than them. Got tired of it and caved myself and named them the "Jeffies". Now I'm a dipshat whereas I used to be just an idiot.I'm hurt and need therapy from it also :D

What would BAMA say about BB as their coach.  Simple.  HE GONE.

ballz2thewall

i disagree

we need more ignorance and greater intolerance smothered in jesus gravy.
The rest of the frog.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 26, 2017, 11:48:22 am
I don't like the name calling thing either. Used to do it and apologized and quit for a long time. Then a certain group of people came on here and outrite were calling people idiots, ignorant, stupid... when anyone saw something different than them. Got tired of it and caved myself and named them the "Jeffies". Now I'm a dipshat whereas I used to be just an idiot.I'm hurt and need therapy from it also :D
I know what you mean. Just thinking about some of these guys over the past few years...especially things that are said in the offseason, makes me want to lash out and throw in their face how wrong they are. They have been wrong about almost everything. Just in light of this thread...it makes me want to refer to Jeff Long as carpetbagger every chance I get now.

I know that's an extremely childish attitude, but man these guys have dished it out hard and personal towards anyone questioning the direction of the program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 26, 2017, 12:47:39 pm
I know what you mean. Just thinking about some of these guys over the past few years...especially things that are said in the offseason, makes me want to lash out and throw in their face how wrong they are. They have been wrong about almost everything. Just in light of this thread...it makes me want to refer to Jeff Long as carpetbagger every chance I get now.

I know that's an extremely childish attitude, but man these guys have dished it out hard and personal towards anyone questioning the direction of the program.
Correct..hogsanity, the leader of the pack.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The OTR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 26, 2017, 11:41:05 am
People who don't know and understand historical references gives our state a bad name. You sir are a scalawag.

Jeff Long ran Pitt in the ditch and he is running the UA Football Program in the Ditch , He getting rich doing it and since he is a Yankee he is a Carpetbagger by that historical definition. Plus Lanny would ban me if I called him a more modern term like $@B

So there you go. The name calling will not cease. I support Delta's right to call Long a carpetbagger using a small c or capital C either one.

jkstock04

Quote from: Redhogs on September 26, 2017, 01:05:54 pm
Correct..hogsanity, the leader of the pack.
Nah, he doesn't make it personal. There are quite a few others that have though. Most of them are of course absent now...or backpedaling.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Silver Hog

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 26, 2017, 01:08:14 pm
Nah, he doesn't make it personal. There are quite a few others that have though. Most of them are of course absent now...or backpedaling.
No they'll be on here or on this topic as soon as they've scanned the other topics to defend their leader.

DeltaBoy

Jeff made this mess and the BOT ought to fry his backside!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 26, 2017, 08:05:26 am
I can't wait til I get something else in the mail regarding our student athlete academic achievements. That'll be really neat.

I got mine..It was neat.

Most who call him carpet bagger aren't pleased with how the civil war turned out.

Qadi999

just like a carpet bagger to take up for another carpet bagger.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Karma on September 26, 2017, 07:00:42 pm
Most who call him carpet bagger aren't pleased with how the civil war turned out.

No his actions are like those 150 years ago!

majp51

Nah. Incompetent Yankee, sure.. Carpetbagger? Nah, those were people referred to were not incompetent but either corrupt or hellbent on making those states that were forced to rejoin the Union pay more than a little extra. Think Prospero from Merchant of Venice. JL seems to understand the pure business of the AD, but not the soul or heart of an AD. In short he's an accountant.

ChicoHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 26, 2017, 07:27:15 am
West Virginia I think.  Went to Kent St in Ohio.

johnny cash

the wind defends them.

johnny cash

Watching Jeff Long and Burt is like watching Luke Bryan sing.

A sh*t show.

Three and Snout

No one is going to comment on "James Woodrum" messing up the below secfan30 quote?

Can we stop with the carpet bagger cjameswoodrum@student.godleyisd.netomments? It's not really an insult like it was 100 years ago and shows a backwoods ignorance that gives our state and fans a bad name.

longpig

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 26, 2017, 07:27:15 am

A little 3rd world country called West Virginia.
Don't be scared, be smart.