Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 27, 2017, 10:21:33 am
Several years ago the grass guy for the athletic department told me that the height of the south enzone skyboxes blocks the sun in the south goal line area in the last few weeks of the season. Back when the field was natural grass it caused problems with that part of the field.

Mike, your taking away an excuse for some to bitch and moan. No common sense or facts allowed.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on December 27, 2017, 04:06:36 pm
Mike, your taking away an excuse for some to bitch and moan. No common sense or facts allowed.

Well, actually there is the area for the upper deck on top of the SEZ suites, so there's that, lol. I though fieldturf said they could still grow grass there, newer varieties?

pigture perfect

Maybe we could fill the gap by making a large space for Tusk and his herd to roam during the game instead of just his trailer.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: porkbellys on December 12, 2017, 03:20:18 pm
From the look of it, i dont think the field will be visible from outside the gates of the stadium. That was the tradition not just the gap. Seeing the field and razorback on the field was the attraction. Now all you see is a concrete slab.

It's not fully viewable from the "opening."  I've thought that since I saw the concrete floor in that area.  One of Long's last "gotchas" to Arkansas students and fans. 

PonderinHog

hogfan58

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 27, 2017, 11:56:55 am
If the DWR SRO takes after the SRO in jerry world, it actually will be a bit cheaper

Was a direct idea from Jerry...his "party pass" SRO areas in each end zone.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

clew

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 27, 2017, 02:24:02 pm
The deck gives you tailgating or staging opportunities. Also, could that be where the team stages before running through the "A"?

What is sad, and we are only 30 years late on this one: have the gap be to the south so you can see the mountains. Some will remember the original argument against the SEZ was that it would obstruct the view of the mountains, something the original donor of the grounds was adamant about.

They should have kept the height of the SEZ seating section down--would have rather the NEZ been built up versus the south.
Pure as the dawn

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

1-9-18 Update:
Basic frame of Lower bowl almost complete

*Note* One of the stadium construction workers was taken to the hospital yesterday. He was being tested for carbon monoxide poisoning as of the last update. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We can disagree about how the aesthetics of our stadium but we don't want to see someone get hurt during its construction
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 09, 2018, 11:42:58 am
1-9-18 Update:
Basic frame of Lower bowl almost complete

*Note* One of the stadium construction workers was taken to the hospital yesterday. He was being tested for carbon monoxide poisoning as of the last update. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We can disagree about how the aesthetics of our stadium but we don't want to see someone get hurt during its construction

Latest update is it wasn't associated with carbon monoxide, personal health issues. Hopefully nothing too serious.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/08/construction-worker-razorback-stadium-taken-hospit/

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ricepig on January 09, 2018, 11:56:11 am
Latest update is it wasn't associated with carbon monoxide, personal health issues. Hopefully nothing too serious.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/08/construction-worker-razorback-stadium-taken-hospit/
+1 Thanks for the update. Hope he recovers quickly
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HighcountryHog on December 27, 2017, 01:28:43 pm
If you sit down to watch the game then you're doing it wrong.  Only time that's acceptable is if you're at home watching on TV.

No, you're wrong... If you stand up and hop up and down like a meth dead at a banjo jam off when there is nothing exciting happening you're just a spoiled brat, and deserve to be chair bound when you get old.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike Irwin

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 18, 2018, 04:06:47 pm
Me too.

I didn't understand it from the beginning.  Yes, people have watched games for years from the hill north of the stadium.  Watched a Texas Tech game myself from the west side of the Broyles Complex before it was expanded.  But to say there was some "tradition" strong enough to carve out the gap left me scratching my head. Really?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hayden1865

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 18, 2018, 03:59:17 pm
No, you're wrong... If you stand up and hop up and down like a meth dead at a banjo jam off when there is nothing exciting happening you're just a spoiled brat, and deserve to be chair bound when you get old.
and this is exactly why I'm ready for the standing room only tickets.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2018, 05:23:31 pm
I didn't understand it from the beginning.  Yes, people have watched games for years from the hill north of the stadium.  Watched a Texas Tech game myself from the west side of the Broyles Complex before it was expanded.  But to say there was some "tradition" strong enough to carve out the gap left me scratching my head. Really?

I've never considered it a tradition. That said, I think it will look better when it's complete. I actually like the renderings of the finished product.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2018, 05:23:31 pm

I think it was more a tradition of being able to turn on to Stadium from Maple and be able to "look" into the stadium. Also, regular students, families, and just fans liked to have their picture taken with the stadium field in the background. I don't know how that will look after it's finished, but that's the tradition I know of.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 05:37:14 pm
I think it was more a tradition of being able to turn on to Stadium from Maple and be able to "look" into the stadium. Also, regular students, families, and just fans liked to have their picture taken with the stadium field in the background. I don't know how that will look after it's finished, but that's the tradition I know of.

I was there Monday and you do have a clear view of the field from the stoplight at Maple and Stadium Drive.  I've seen a photo from the 50s era of students dressed in suits and dresses picnicing on the hill there watching a game.  I've just never heard it referred to as a "tradition" until the plans were announced. 

I don't have strong feelings about the gap one way or the other but probably would have closed it unless money was the issue.  It is going to be impressive when finished. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2018, 06:09:53 pm
I was there Monday and you do have a clear view of the field from the stoplight at Maple and Stadium Drive.  I've seen a photo from the 50s era of students dressed in suits and dresses picnicing on the hill there watching a game.  I've just never heard it referred to as a "tradition" until the plans were announced. 

I don't have strong feelings about the gap one way or the other but probably would have closed it unless money was the issue.  It is going to be impressive when finished. 

I think the new "look-in" cuts about 10-20 yards off what the previous look gave, but it's fine with me.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hayden1865 on January 18, 2018, 05:35:05 pm
and this is exactly why I'm ready for the standing room only tickets.

LOL..! Well, we can agree on that. I would also vote to allow beer for all y'all standing down there. Maybe even a dance contest during TV time-outs...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 18, 2018, 06:09:53 pm

I have a feeling with the sales of the loge boxes that that area will be closed rather quickly. Maybe 5 to 8 years at most.

PonderinHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 18, 2018, 07:33:54 pm
LOL..! Well, we can agree on that. I would also vote to allow beer for all y'all standing down there. Maybe even a dance contest during TV time-outs...
I was thinking an amusement park might bring in the Central Arkansas crowds.

Anybody

goodguytex -   fan is short for fanatic.

GO HOGS !

Hayden1865

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 18, 2018, 07:33:54 pm
Would love the beer. No dancing for me. Nothing against people who like to sit but i get so jacked up when I'm watching my team play I have a hard time sitting. Lower cost is also great for someone like myself who is just out of school.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 07:36:43 pm
I was thinking an amusement park might bring in the Central Arkansas crowds.
Putt Putt... With the 18th hole being the opposing mascot's wahoo...

PonderinHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 18, 2018, 07:54:49 pm
Putt Putt... With the 18th hole being the opposing mascot's wahoo...
Nope that needs to be on the southwest corner of the campus on the other side of the by-pass.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: pigz on December 12, 2017, 04:59:14 pm
That was great when they had the little triangle windows you could flip around

There are a few of us that are telling our age.  I'm going on 65.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 18, 2018, 05:36:12 pm
I've never considered it a tradition. That said, I think it will look better when it's complete. I actually like the renderings of the finished product.

I agree. The final renderings look pretty good. I'm neutral when it comes to the gap. I don't mind either way but maybe the current design will allow for an easy addition if they ever decide to fill it in completely. You never know what the future holds. Just think, 50-60 years ago did people really imagine college football stadiums being as large as they are today? Probably not. But they keep adding and adding to the original blueprints over the years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 18, 2018, 10:44:26 pm
I agree. The final renderings look pretty good. I'm neutral when it comes to the gap. I don't mind either way but maybe the current design will allow for an easy addition if they ever decide to fill it in completely. You never know what the future holds. Just think, 50-60 years ago did people really imagine college football stadiums being as large as they are today? Probably not. But they keep adding and adding to the original blueprints over the years.

They did in Tennessee...

Michael D Huff AIA

I never heard of trying to watch a Razorback game without a ticket being a tradition at UA.  I've been going to games since 1977 and have a 5 year diploma from the Architecture school.  I'm afraid that "a unique situation because of topography" became "a tradition" during the design process of this expansion. 

ricepig

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 19, 2018, 08:28:46 am
I never heard of trying to watch a Razorback game without a ticket being a tradition at UA.  I've been going to games since 1977 and have a 5 year diploma from the Architecture school.  I'm afraid that "a unique situation because of topography" became "a tradition" during the design process of this expansion. 

Well, if you would have spent less time in the lab, you would have known that. You don't recall seeing fans sitting on the hillside watching? I'm not talking across the road, but on the hillside by the stadium. I guess my seats in the SOC allowed me to see that corner, I'd always see that, and the tents set up for recruits on top of the BAC. I think the tradition was the look-in or ability to see into the stadium traveling south down Stadium.

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 08:41:58 am
Well, if you would have spent less time in the lab, you would have known that. You don't recall seeing fans sitting on the hillside watching? I'm not talking across the road, but on the hillside by the stadium. I guess my seats in the SOC allowed me to see that corner, I'd always see that, and the tents set up for recruits on top of the BAC. I think the tradition was the look-in or ability to see into the stadium traveling south down Stadium.
Taking a picture with the stadium as a backdrop has been a tradition IMO.  I've always seen several people outside the games there from our Lower Westside tickets.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on January 19, 2018, 08:45:09 am
Taking a picture with the stadium as a backdrop has been a tradition IMO.  I've always seen several people outside the games there from our Lower Westside tickets.
Now, I didn't do it in 76-80, but my kids did, usually on their way way out of town after graduating. Now days they let them get on the field for graduation pictures.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 08:41:58 am

Agreed. I became a season ticket holder in 1999 but in 2006, I had to retire early due to health issues and could not financially afford the tickets for the 2007 season so I road up with my brother and sat in a lawn chair on the sidewalk in that open corner to watch the games. I hated not being able to be inside the stadium but I wanted to sec the Hogs play in person. It meant that much to me. Thankfully, things improved and I was able to buy tickets from 2008 to 2012. Having to become a 24/7/365 caretaker for my mother ended my trips to the games.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 09:17:54 am
Now, I didn't do it in 76-80, but my kids did, usually on their way way out of town after graduating. Now days they let them get on the field for graduation pictures.
After the Broyles complex was completed it created a good platform for that.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

PermianPig

After a Chad Morris Natty in the next 3-5 years, then we can fill in that "air" gap and make an underground tunnel for the road on the west side. 

Michael D Huff AIA

For the record, I missed three football games in the 5 years that I was a student. Missed three basketball games (not counting games during the Christmas break) in the same time period.  Some things are just not worth missing.

I always thought that hill was where the freeloaders tried to watch the game for free, you know, get something for nothing.  Didn't know that was a 'tradition' at our school.

I'm pretty neutral about 'the gap'.  It seems like an experiment that can be easily fixed if that experiment doesn't work.  I do like the idea of the standing room only area.  That could be fun, and a different sort of experience. 

GuvHog

Quote from: PermianPig on January 19, 2018, 10:32:21 am
After a Chad Morris Natty in the next 3-5 years, then we can fill in that "air" gap and make an underground tunnel for the road on the west side. 

My guess is the West side renovation will happen LONG before that gap gets closed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 19, 2018, 08:28:46 am

I have always lived in Central Arkansas. I used to travel to NW Arkansas for work and for my son's baseball tournaments.  Maybe it's because we aren't always up there but any time of year we were up there we always made a ride by the stadium, stopped, looked into the stadium, sometimes taking pictures sometimes not, and many times we have run into people taking pictures there.  Met a couple doing their engagement photo there and one taking a pic of a new baby for a card to mail out for birth announcements.  Now maybe it's just happens to be me and the people I know, but I have always thought it was pretty common for people to do that.  I used to work for some really big donors in Little Rock and when they were raising money Jeff Long and John Fagg came by our office and gave a presentation of what all of this was supposed to look like.  This was before the Jones Center was even built and I remember them saying at the time that they were leaving the gap for traditional purposes.  I thought it was a great idea then, and I think it looks good with the space there.  I guess I always assumed it was a tradition for folks to go there and look into the stadium, take pictures hang out on game day etc. 

Bash

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 04:19:28 pm
they could still grow grass there, newer varieties?

That might fly with the hippies in Colorado, but not here.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Oklahawg

The gap is a nice location for SEC Nation or ESPN Game Day. Pep rally area for a mini-band (like the commando band that circles the upper deck during the second half).

The picture backdrop is a huge thing. How many times do we see that? I see it a lot, even if others do not.

Plus, they had to have a way to get the big cranes out of the stadium! :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bash

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2018, 12:20:58 pm
The gap is a nice location for SEC Nation or ESPN Game Day....Plus, they had to have a way to get the big cranes out of the stadium! :)

Doesn't look like you could get them out through the gap - 2 story structure there.  Which raises a fascinating question.  How the heck are they going to get them out?  Imagine the awkwardness of getting everything done and closed in and then realizing the cranes are still there with no way to get them out!  Someone do a stat FOI on the construction plans before its too late!

FraggleHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 19, 2018, 12:20:58 pm
The gap is a nice location for SEC Nation or ESPN Game Day. Pep rally area for a mini-band (like the commando band that circles the upper deck during the second half).

The picture backdrop is a huge thing. How many times do we see that? I see it a lot, even if others do not.

Plus, they had to have a way to get the big cranes out of the stadium! :)

Not sure if you're joking... but the cranes are collapsed and rolled through the South East Endzone tunnel...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Bash

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 19, 2018, 12:56:57 pm
Not sure if you're joking... but the cranes are collapsed and rolled through the South East Endzone tunnel...

Oh, what a relief.  I was just about to start a "Save the Yellow Cranes!" campaign.

razCzar

Quote from: Bash on January 19, 2018, 12:52:49 pm
Doesn't look like you could get them out through the gap - 2 story structure there.  Which raises a fascinating question.  How the heck are they going to get them out?  Imagine the awkwardness of getting everything done and closed in and then realizing the cranes are still there with no way to get them out!  Someone do a stat FOI on the construction plans before its too late!
You're kidding, right?
I check out progression of several UA projects 2-3x/week and saw them deliver the crane.  If you go to 8:37am on December 4 on the Time Lapse, you'll see it being rolled in on a flatbed.  The wide tracks were attached to the body on-site over about 4 hours. 

AirWarren

The better question is.

How are they going to get some wins inside the stadium?

razCzar

Regarding this gap "tradition" thing... completely fabricated.  Trust me, been around since our natty days and have never heard such nonsense.  BUT if it turns out like most of the renderings, it should be killer.

HoggyCat

Quote from: AP85 on January 19, 2018, 01:22:14 pm
The better question is.

How are they going to get some wins inside the stadium?

"Under construction"
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ricepig

Quote from: razCzar on January 19, 2018, 01:27:56 pm
Regarding this gap "tradition" thing... completely fabricated.  Trust me, been around since our natty days and have never heard such nonsense.

So, you've never looked into the stadium while driving west on Maple, or south on Stadium?

razCzar

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 01:31:08 pm
So, you've never looked into the stadium while driving west on Maple, or south on Stadium?
Well, I guess... lived/parked on Stadium Drive for four years.

ricepig

Quote from: razCzar on January 19, 2018, 01:33:24 pm
Well, I guess... lived/parked on Stadium Drive for four years.

So, it was a tradition. You never saw people sitting on the hill watching a game, taking a picture, or read about this?