Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

buldozer

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 12, 2017, 12:51:55 pm
As a designer of buildings, I can say from experience that most of the general public likes things that are symmetrical.  It's just one of those things.  We all have a little ADD in us. 

I personally don't like the open air standing room only area.  If there is some tradition we want to honor by leaving the side open so freeloaders on the hill can look down into the stadium, so be it, but it seems like wasted real estate if we can't fill up the inside of the stadium first.
You would have been satisfied in short order if JL had of stayed I'm sure. In just a couple years, he prolly would have plugged that hole with a $200M expansion of corporate suites..... in order to eliminate the freeloaders

brenthog

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 13, 2017, 03:15:02 pm

It won't be that loud. 

Most of the sound will escape through that darned gap.

Have you sat in the stadium? I am not a huge fan of it, but the gap is not at field level. The noise at the field level won't escape.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 12, 2017, 04:30:12 pm
But, But, people want to buy tickets to stand up 3.5 hours  :puke: another Jeff Long idea  :puke:

That's my jam

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 13, 2017, 03:15:02 pm

It won't be that loud. 

Most of the sound will escape through that darned gap.

I'm no acoustic engineer. Is that how sound works?...it runs out through a hole like if you punctured a water balloon?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 13, 2017, 04:55:43 pm
I'm no acoustic engineer. Is that how sound works?...it runs out through a hole like if you punctured a water balloon?
Hey, don't start arguing logic and facts on here.
Obviously some sound will escape through the hole, but also clearly more sound will be trapped than before.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: go hogues on December 12, 2017, 03:05:34 pm
The gap was sold as tradition. The actual reason is that it's less seats that would have to be built and then be empty.

This sounds eerily familiar. A more intense arguement was made in 2000 when we expanded then. Lots of folks thought we could never fill a 72k seating stadium back then. Some things just never change.

Freebrd

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 13, 2017, 04:55:43 pm

I was taught that sound travels downhill.  i.e.  a house below highway level will get more road noise than one above the highway level.  The north end is slightly uphill.  Hence some sound would have been lost but I contend it would be insignificant for the cost it took to build.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: go hogues on December 12, 2017, 03:05:34 pm
The gap was sold as tradition. The actual reason is that it’s less seats that would have to be built and then be empty.

This is just silly.  The stadium could have been configured any number of ways, for example without 5 levels of seating, if the goal were simply to keep seats to a minimum.  Love it or hate it, the point of the 'gap' is obvious to anyone who has ever topped the hill on Maple and looked with awe down in to the valley below to read "Home of the Razorbacks" on the west side press box.

Mikey

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on December 13, 2017, 08:05:31 pm
Love it or hate it, the point of the 'gap' is obvious to anyone who has ever topped the hill on Maple and looked with awe down in to the valley below to read "Home of the Razorbacks" on the west side press box.

That's true, and that's why I like the gap.  It's great to be able to get a pretty good view inside the stadium from out there.  Makes for a good picture backdrop too.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Dillon23 on December 12, 2017, 12:56:28 pm
I hate it too, but I get smited everytime I mention it.  It looks like we ran out of money.  The only reason that is considered a "tradition" is because we didn't have a complete stadium.  Kinda like my dads old truck had a tradition of rolling down the windows when it was hot. The tradition went away when he finally bought one with a/c.

I agree. +1
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

bigred223

Quote from: elksnort link=topic=652643.

What is with the free loader comment?
/quote]

Haha seriously people get fired up about anything.

nwahogfan1

I admit it looks incomplete.  Hopefully they designed it so they can fill the gap with more luxury seats if they need to.

GuvHog

Quote from: brenthog on December 13, 2017, 04:33:36 pm
Have you sat in the stadium? I am not a huge fan of it, but the gap is not at field level. The noise at the field level won’t escape.

Exactly. The lower Bowl will be completely enclosed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 14, 2017, 07:24:10 am
I admit it looks incomplete.  Hopefully they designed it so they can fill the gap with more luxury seats if they need to.

Of course one of the reasons it looks incomplete is because it is incomplete.  Gap or no gap, it's gonna look great when finished, especially from other perspectives besides those given by the construction cameras.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

12-27 Update:
- Construction of the lower bowl is continuing at a steady pace. The frame appears to be about halfway complete

- The frame of the NEZ itself seems to be complete as "walls" are being constructed.

- a new set of stairs can now be seen on the right side of the NEZ (interior)

- concrete is being installed on the NEZ exterior columns
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

Tweeter

any chance they could just keep rolling that turf up and replace it with GRASS!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Tweeter on December 27, 2017, 09:50:01 am
any chance they could just keep rolling that turf up and replace it with GRASS!!!!

Yep, new astro grass, unfortunately.

Hawg2afault

What are we going to nickname that area, Hogville?  I see the term "Gap" used frequently and since we farmers worked to keep the gap closed in order to keep the hogs from getting in and tearing up everything in sight, lets come up with something that incorporates "Gap,"  "Fence gap" isn't very creative so what say you?

Boog41

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 09:52:58 am
Yep, new astro grass, unfortunately.

I think everyone would prefer natural grass, probably players included, but the artificial stuff lets them practice in the stadium if they want. It used to look pretty rough by the time November rolled around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boog41 on December 27, 2017, 10:05:33 am
I think everyone would prefer natural grass, probably players included, but the artificial stuff lets them practice in the stadium if they want. It used to look pretty rough by the time November rolled around.

Two outdoor practice fields, one grass and one artificial turf and another indoor field means it isn't necessary to practice inside the stadium. Some coaches do sometimes though I don't know how Chad feels about it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: elksnort on December 12, 2017, 12:45:50 pm
I can see why you might feel this way. I will say that I like the asymmetrical approach here. Plus it allows some air flow and view.

Let's sound escape. Not a good idea...

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 27, 2017, 10:08:57 am
Two outdoor practice fields, one grass and one artificial turf and another indoor field means it isn't necessary to practice inside the stadium. Some coaches do sometimes though I don't know how Chad feels about it.

You definitely want to practice some where you are going to play games. I'm sure there are multiple factors involved in the decision on grass vs turf.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 27, 2017, 10:11:30 am

Since the lower bowl will be completely enclosed, very, very little sound will escape.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Tweeter on December 27, 2017, 09:50:01 am
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, they aren't rolling the astroturf back, they are just covering it with something like a tarp.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 12, 2017, 04:30:12 pm
But, But, people want to buy tickets to stand up 3.5 hours  :puke: another Jeff Long idea  :puke:

Jeff Long's ideas.  LMAO

Mike Irwin

December 27, 2017, 10:21:33 am #1277 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:29:46 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: Boog41 on December 27, 2017, 10:05:33 am
Several years ago the grass guy for the athletic department told me that the height of the south enzone skyboxes blocks the sun in the south goal line area in the last few weeks of the season. Back when the field was natural grass it caused problems with that part of the field.

Boog41

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 27, 2017, 10:08:57 am

Depth perception is very different inside a stadium, so some practice on the game field is a must for any team. Doesn't affect linemen, but receivers and quarterbacks it does. Even the crown of the field can be a little different and needs to be practiced on. I forget where it was, LSU maybe, but Mallett said the crown was higher and that caused him to over throw some wide out passes till he adjusted to it.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

December 27, 2017, 10:32:17 am #1280 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:58:34 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Boog41 on December 27, 2017, 10:25:38 am
Depth perception is very different inside a stadium, so some practice on the game field is a must for any team. Doesn't affect linemen, but receivers and quarterbacks it does. Even the crown of the field can be a little different and needs to be practiced on. I forget where it was, LSU maybe, but Mallett said the crown was higher and that caused him to over throw some wide out passes till he adjusted to it.

That's one reason I've heard coaches give for practicing sometimes inside the stadium. Some think it helps. I'll let the coaches decide.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 27, 2017, 10:13:52 am
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, they aren't rolling the astroturf back, they are just covering it with something like a tarp.

They put down the same type pads they've used for trucks to drive in behind the visitor's bench. The turf is scheduled to be replaced this summer, it's 10 years old.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 27, 2017, 10:11:30 am

That's not how sound works.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 10:32:29 am
They put down the same type pads they've used for trucks to drive in behind the visitor's bench. The turf is scheduled to be replaced this summer, it's 10 years old.
Look at the northwest corner of the field, past the tarp covered area and you can see more astroturf. It hasn't been rolled up, just covered

Hayden1865

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 27, 2017, 10:16:58 am
Jeff Long's ideas.  LMAO
I love the idea of SRO tickets. Cheaper tickets and I won't be yelled at to sit down by the blue hairs. I know its not for everyone but plenty of people will buy these.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

ricepig

Quote from: Hayden1865 on December 27, 2017, 11:27:18 am
I love the idea of SRO tickets. Cheaper tickets and I won't be yelled at to sit down by the blue hairs. I know its not for everyone but plenty of people will buy these.

Especially if it's a beer garden!!!

Hayden1865

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 11:28:05 am
Especially if it's a beer garden!!!
Amen, even if not im all in on saving a few bucks and not getting grief for standing the whole game.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

AirWarren

Man. People that get annoyed because you're standing up watching a game irritates me.

Hog Fan...DOH!

They're not cheap (at all), but that's why those loge boxes will be great, too.  You can set up your family and friends in there, and not worry about standing up, sitting down, moving around, or whatever. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 27, 2017, 11:42:50 am
They're not cheap (at all), but that's why those loge boxes will be great, too.  You can set up your family and friends in there, and not worry about standing up, sitting down, moving around, or whatever.
If the DWR SRO takes after the SRO in jerry world, it actually will be a bit cheaper

ricepig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 27, 2017, 11:56:55 am
If the DWR SRO takes after the SRO in jerry world, it actually will be a bit cheaper

I've heard $15 or so?? Of course, you could have had a seat at several games for under that this year.

ChopSooie

The gap if established properly, will allow for a cool look in and viewpoint for Gameday or the SEC show. We do need a statue or some type of omage.

Falco

New to HV but have a bud in the AD. Hasn't been the greatest source for the DC search but has been spot on with the NEZ. The gap and roof deck have something in common few of you have considered.

Rise Up

ricepig

Quote from: Falco on December 27, 2017, 01:14:27 pm
New to HV but have a bud in the AD. Hasn't been the greatest source for the DC search but has been spot on with the NEZ. The gap and roof deck have something in common few of you have considered.

Rise Up

Which is?

HighcountryHog

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 11:35:55 am
Man. People that get annoyed because you're standing up watching a game irritates me.

If you sit down to watch the game then you're doing it wrong.  Only time that's acceptable is if you're at home watching on TV.
no bumps, no fat chicks

goodguytex

I'll be one glad to get an SRO ticket. I'm right at 6 3 and a pretty big guy anyway, when I sit down my knees are often poking a fan in their back or something.

Besides, if you want to sit the whole game, stay at home. I went to the hog/Tennessee game in 2011... I was doing my thing, on my feet, hollering when on defense, standing up for the team... Then this man in the seat behind me got ticked at me, asked me to sit down elapse his little girl couldn't see the game because I was standing the whole time.

So I accommodated his family. Glad to. But still, fan is short for fantastic. You go to the game to be a fantastic... To try to help your team win... Be the 12th man or woman. Make a difference.

Oklahawg

The deck gives you tailgating or staging opportunities. Also, could that be where the team stages before running through the "A"?

What is sad, and we are only 30 years late on this one: have the gap be to the south so you can see the mountains. Some will remember the original argument against the SEZ was that it would obstruct the view of the mountains, something the original donor of the grounds was adamant about.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

cityhog

A Colosseum to mediocrity. Kind of like an Escalade parked in front of a mobile home.

Falco

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 01:26:11 pm
Which is?

The ability for this thread to be revived by our grandkids.

Rise Up

ricepig

Quote from: Falco on December 27, 2017, 02:58:02 pm

The ability for this thread to be revived by our grandkids.

Rise Up

Only if the Russkies don't ransomware it, and Landy refuse to pay......