Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs at SEC SB Tourney

Started by psycHOGlogist, May 10, 2017, 12:57:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Go down in the opening game of the tournament, 4-1 to Bama.

Storms had a rough first inning and then settled down to business. The only runs after that were an HR by Nicole Schroeder, giving her the Arkansas record for HR's in a season (16), and a 6th inning insurance HR for Bama. Guess you could chalk it up to freshman pitcher nerves. Still and all not a bad performance (though I would have thought we could have hit Littlejohn better --she started and pitched the first 5 innings before Osorio came in to get the save).

Too bad - Bama was about the worst 1st round matchup for us, but our inability to get the second win in the series against UGA left us as the 12 seed.

Now we just have to hope to get an at-large NCAAT bid. I think that's very likely.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on May 10, 2017, 12:57:52 pm
Go down in the opening game of the tournament, 4-1 to Bama.

Storms had a rough first inning and then settled down to business. The only runs after that were an HR by Nicole Schroeder, giving her the Arkansas record for HR's in a season (16), and a 6th inning insurance HR for Bama. Guess you could chalk it up to freshman pitcher nerves. Still and all not a bad performance (though I would have thought we could have hit Littlejohn better --she started and pitched the first 5 innings before Osorio came in to get the save).

Too bad - Bama was about the worst 1st round matchup for us, but our inability to get the second win in the series against UGA left us as the 12 seed.  But it wouldnt take much for them to make a run in the NCAA tourneyment.  If Nicole Schroeder isnt back, she is very close to it.  I liked the way Diaz hit today too.

Now we just have to hope to get an at-large NCAAT bid. I think that's very likely.

pretty much word for word the way I see it too.  I am always optimistic.  But realistically this team is a year away from being really good.  But it wouldnt tak much for this team to make a run in the NCAA.  I think if Nicole Schroeder isnt back she is very close to it.  I also like the way Krzysko continues to be right on the ball and the way Diaz hit today as well.  Yani is playing good ball as is Belans (except for errors.  If Russell plays well and Cooper regains it just a bit, with Storms on the mound we have a chance against most teams for one game anyway.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/schroeder-sets-home-run-mark-in-loss-to-alabama/711161136#

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Redshirt senior Nicole Schroeder hit her 16th home run to break the program's single-season home run record but the Razorbacks lost to 16th-ranked Alabama, 4-1, in Wednesday's first round of the SEC Tournament. Ashley Diaz registered her 13th multi-hit game of the season and Loren Krzysko extended her on-base streak to 15-straight games in the setback. Arkansas sits at 31-22 with an RPI ranking of No. 30 heading into Sunday's Selection Show.

Final: (5) Alabama 4, (12) Arkansas 1

"(Alabama) played a good game," head coach Courtney Deifel said. "It's always a good battle when you play Alabama, but I'm proud of my girls. I think we had some early game jitters, and I think once we settled in we really gave them a game, but it was a little too late."

Trailing by three runs after two innings, Arkansas put together its first scoring threat in the top of the third after back-to-back singles by Katie Warrick and Ashley Diaz to lead off the frame. After a sacrifice bunt by Shelby Hiers, the Razorbacks had runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out but Alabama (41-15) got out of the jam with a play at the plate and fly out to shallow center field. Warrick has a hit in five of her last six games played.

Autumn Storms worked her first 1-2-3 inning with a trio of ground-ball outs in the bottom of the third, and Schroeder cut into Arkansas' deficit with a two-out solo shot to left field. With the record-setting big fly, Schroeder broke the tie atop the program's single-season home run list she previously shared with Jessica Bachkora (2007-10) and Devon Wallace (2012-15). With the home run, Schroeder also moved into second on the single-season list with her 48th RBI of the year.

After giving up three runs in the first, Storms steadied and held the tournament's No. 5 seed to just one run on five hits over the next five innings. The Crimson Tide picked up its final run with a Bailey Hemphill home run in the fourth inning. Arkansas had a runner on base in each of the last five innings including Krzysko who led off the sixth with a hit up the middle. The redshirt junior has at least one hit in 14 of the last 17 games.

Up Next
The Razorbacks now await their NCAA fate that will be determined Sunday during the NCAA Softball Selection Show which will air at 9 p.m. (CT) on ESPN2. Arkansas is seeking the program's seventh NCAA Regional appearance.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sow’sEar

I'm not expert at all, but I feel like they've done enough to get an NCAA tournament bid.  I've got my fingers crossed. 

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Lulu Hog on May 11, 2017, 09:34:53 am
I'm not expert at all, but I feel like they've done enough to get an NCAA tournament bid.  I've got my fingers crossed. 

Only issue would be the fact that they lost their last three games, but I feel they should make it also.