Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offense yes Defense no

Started by hogken, October 07, 2005, 06:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogken

From the beginning Ive said, Offense can score and will, but Defense was horrible and slightly improved. Blitz into a brick wall, after 3 qrtrs of ineffective blitzing for Gods sake get back in coverage! the Defense in my opinion makes us 1-3 cant stop anything=Herring=quick fix=never works=1-3.....oops already said that?
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: hogken on October 07, 2005, 06:24:04 am
From the beginning Ive said, Offense can score and will, but Defense was horrible and slightly improved. Blitz into a brick wall, after 3 qrtrs of ineffective blitzing for Gods sake get back in coverage! the Defense in my opinion makes us 1-3 cant stop anything=Herring=quick fix=never works=1-3.....oops already said that?

I don't know if that's entirely true though hogken.  if our offense is good enough now to win games, then our defense is going to have to average only 10-13 points given up each game and I don't think that we have the ability to do that.... especially in the SEC.  our offense eats up tons of time with their long drives but I'd like to see a percentage stat of how many times we get points when we get the ball and how many times we either have a turnout or have to punt, 'cause our production thus far would suggest that the latter is winning.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

GrizzledHogFan

The long term fix would be to fire Nutt.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Buff

since when can the offense score anytime?  defense sucks - ur right there.  think about this at Vandy.  If our defense had held that last drive, we could have won it.  But if our offense had been able to get to the endzone instead of settling for a field goal, we wouldn't have had to worry about that last drive.  we need drastic improvement on both sides of the ball.

Pragmatic PiG

from the beginning, you've been wrong. both units blow, its that simple

silvertip

In case you haven't noticed, our offense has been scorig less every D-! game. Vandy 21, USC 17, Bama 13. Our defense was good enough vs Vandy & Bama. We would have won both if our O could have gotten a single 1st down in the 4th quarter vs Vandy or in the 3rd quarter vs Bama.

three

I was told, don't know if it's true or not, that Reggie Herring said at the beginning of the season, "We're not very good.  There's no talent on this team."  Apparently, according to this source, Herring has been assured no matter what happens in the Head Coach department this season, he will be back next year.  It's understood there is not a whole lot of talent on this team and Herring will need time to recruit and develop the proper players for his system.  I'd say the future is bright, judging from the way Fairchild has performed in limited pt.  As for right now, this D is just about as bad as it can get.  Here are some numbers for you:

National Rankings:

Rush Defense...........93
Pass Defense............94
Total Defense...........100
Scoring Defense........102

Rushing Offense.........4  (but the top three teams have 15, 16, 15 TDs respectively, Arkansas has 7, the worst among the top 14, so that ranking is misleading)
Passing Offense..........112
Scoring Offense..........69
Total Offense.............39

Bottom Line:  Defense, not stopping anybody.....Offense, not outscoring anybody......Team, not very good......Season, very long
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

JDW

I can't argue with those numbers. We are the last in the West and possible the whole conference on passing. I think we have had 80 & 90 yards against USC & AL respectively. I think I heard RH say something along the same lines. I think that goes hand in hand with him possibly bringing in his own staff next year. I do feel like he got the team back on track for the bama game though.

hogmary

Not only does the D not have enough players, it would help if the O would hold on to the ball a little longer and let the D get their legs back under them.

silvertip

Actually, the D is better than those national rankings, but the O is not as good.

The D rankings are "skewed" by the huge yardage & points put up by USC. As the season goes on, average passing yards & points yielded will improve.

The O rankings are "skewed" by the huge rushing yards & points put up against MO ST. As the season goes on, average rushing yards & points scored per game will go down.

So, the total D & total O performances will settle down into a grey mediocrity. The Hawgs will remain at the bottom of the SEC & the nation in passing O, but will still lead the SEC & be in the top-10 rushing. (yawn) Which, year after year, leads to nothing but mediocrity.