Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawgs, Duke, and North Texas

Started by silvertip, October 06, 2005, 02:18:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

So what do these 3 teams have in common---besides only one win apiece?

They are the bottom 3 teams of the 117 in DIV-1A in YARDS-per-pass-attempt. With the Hawgs averaging 4.83 yds/attempt, no wonder we are 8th in Time-of -Possesion in the SEC at 29:45 per game. That despite leading the SEC once again in rushing & 4th in the nation.(YAWN)  Whatever happened to run-the-ball-control-the-clock?

Nutt is doing his worst job as OC this year with his dink-and-dunk passing game. Nutt can tell you, after every game, about every penalty, missed assignment, dropped pass, blah blah blah---that are "stopping" our offense.

You will never hear Nutt talk about all the pass plays on 3rd & 8 that are completed for 3 or 4 yards. Nor will Nutt talk about all our precious draw plays on 3rd & long that fail to get a first down.

I counted, in the play-by-play, at least 6 short pass completions or failed draw plays on 3rd down in the Bama game alone. That is SIX drives stopped largely by inept play-calling by the OC.

I am convinced that one reason Nutt can't get the passing game going is that our O-lines have sucked for years at pass blockng, but HDN can't stand to make his buddy Markuson accountable. It doesn't matter how many Logans, Bakers, or Washingtons you have to "stretch" the field, if the QB has no time for the play to develop.

davehog

I disagree, I think Markuson is one of the best asst coaches on staff, he can't be bad if we have led the SEC in rushing 3 of the past 4 years.  The reason our passing game sucks is because of the Jr High pass routes that our rcvrs run, and this is due to poor play calling and/or scheme.  Think Vandy's OL is very good?  or Bama's this year?  They aren't nearly as good as ours is, but when our rcvrs aren't running patterns/plays that allow them to get open, then what do you do? We are like Old Faithful when it comes to running plays, when we are old school supposed to pass, we pass, and when we are old school supposed to run, we run. There is no creativity in our play calling

Bomis Hawg

I think Nutt has stopped the "go for the gusto" offense now, since he realizes that RJ might not be able to.  I think they adopted the 10/10 offense, can't pass the ball over ten yards unless you're down ten points.  I'm thinking the 21/21 offense might be made soon by Nutt. ;D

silvertip

So, Markuson & our O-line are good because we can lead the SEC in rushing year-after-year. Run-blocking is easier to execute & easier to coach than pass blocking. We excel at the easy part & fail miserably at the more difficult part of O-line execution. Year after year.

Maybe we're always leading the SEC in rushing because the real powers in the SEC are more interested in having a real offense. Hawgs are presently the ONLY team in the SEC that gains more yards running than we do passing. Do you think that's because we ALWAYS have better O-lines & running backs than the rest of the SEC?  OR just MAYBE every other HC & OC in the SEC knows that you have to have a balanced offense.

Hog1751

When in the last 7 years has our passing game not stunk. The only bright spot has been that everyone in the Stadium knew we were gonna run it and we still did it for 200 yards a game.

silvertip

You might think it a "bright spot" that we can still run for 200 yards when everyone knows we're going to.

I'd rather win the game.

JJHog

He has no QB to perform or does  not trust them enough to call the plays we should be running
" Think Right, Do Right"

silvertip

Of course, you're right, JJ. We don't have any QBs or WRs, TEs, or RBs that can throw & catch for a 1st down on 3rd & 6.  We can complete passes for 3, 4, or 5yds on 3rd & 6. But not for 6 or 7. Now I understand, thanks.