Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 06, 2005, 08:54:23 pm
Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 06, 2005, 07:57:24 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on October 06, 2005, 04:43:14 pm
Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 06, 2005, 09:58:26 am
Quote from: drakehog on October 05, 2005, 05:25:06 pm
Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 05, 2005, 09:49:58 am
The only problem I have with people repeating these kinds of stories is that they weren't brought out earlier. If the coach is an ass he should be exposed as such whether he's winning or losing. If stories like these had been out there soon after they happened maybe we wouldn't see quite the line of people lining up to have Houston's babies.

people have brought out these stories, you just haven't paid attention or, like others, dismissed them at a time when Houston was winning nine games out of 13 instead of five out of 11.

If they were out there they weren't highly publicized (at least the ones dealing with regular people - not recruiting). The only negative stories I've heard prior to these were the ones about the Grigsby recruitment and the ones concerning the Hembree - Warren situation. The Warren coach shares some responsibility in the latter situation so it wasn't just Nutt being an unprovoked ass.

That's the whole point, Dirk. Fans will generally put up with an ass for a head coach so long as the team is winning. Holtz fell out of favor on the heels of a 6-5 season. Had he gone 9-2 that year, the problems that led to his exiting Fayetteville would have never appeared on the radar.

Same with Nolan. He was calling Arkansas fans "turds and posters" long before he was shown the door, but it was tolerated because he was winning basketball games at a record clip.

I don't disagree with that one bit. When a coach is winning he'll feed you a Shiite sandwich and make you like it. The trouble with that is that almost all coaches eventually start losing and the fans remember the taste of that sandwich.

The astute coaches know how to get out while the getting is good in that situation, and at least prolong their career. After Kenny Hatfield left I read a quote of his where he stated that he left after consecutive 10-win seasons because he knew he would be fired the first time he went 7-4.

strangly, Nutt has the chance to leave after consecutive 5-win seasons and a large group of folks still will be disappointed as they were when Hatfield left after consecutive 10-win seasons.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

WilsonHog

Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 05:25:17 pm

strangly, Nutt has the chance to leave after consecutive 5-win seasons and a large group of folks still will be disappointed as they were when Hatfield left after consecutive 10-win seasons.

Absolutely.

And for the life of me I cannot figure out what the attraction of HDN is.

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 07, 2005, 05:33:03 pm
Quote from: drakehog on October 07, 2005, 05:25:17 pm

Absolutely.

And for the life of me I cannot figure out what the attraction of HDN is.

I ask the same thing about certain politicians that certain factions just adore. as well as these certain shyster guys I've known all my life who always seem to be everybody's favorite pal/beer drinking buddy, despite the fact that everybody admits that they check their wallets to see if their cash is still in place after these guys come around. Human nature is a funny thing.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson