Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A bothersome thing about Nutt

Started by JIHawg, October 03, 2005, 05:56:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Today class we will address the question:  Is Nutt dishonest and deceitful, or is he just wishy washy and vacillates to the point of his word not being good.

We have this for a backdrop.  Nutt has the Southern good ole boy Christian schtick down firmly.  You know this type-and there are many varieties.  Most are very good, wholesome, solid men, true to their wives, go to church, always honest in their dealings, apt to openly break out in a prayer if hearing of an illness, invoking Jesus at every turn in life.  We need men like this, not a piece about this.  Nutt definitely belongs to this club, at least in membership.  In principle?  That's the question.

There is the original perception of the Boise State player-the "used car salesman".  I have some very good friends who do this for a living, and a good living, so apologies to them and any others who do this.  It's unfair, but it does carry a meaning in Nutt's case.

Then there's the stories-a prominent Conway family, who have supported the Backs for years, the matriarch died two years ago before Thanksgiving, and the family decided to get out of town for the holiday-they scrounged up 20 tickets to the LSU game in Baton Rouge, all stayed in the team hotel.  One morning, a 5 year boy among the group, who were sitting out by the pool, saw Nutt across the way.  His daddy got him a football and a magic marker and told him to go over and get Houston's autograph.  The kid approached Houston, who was sitting with Danny and Bobby Allen, and asked for the autograph.  Houston got up, said "not today, sonny" and wandered off.  Danny saw the incredulous looks on the faces of all the adults across the way, and beconed the boy over and he and Allen all tried to sugar coat it and signed the football.  It was too late.

Everybody by now knows a high school coach who feels like he has been lied to by Nutt.  He has offended a lot of coaches over the state with his handling of recruiting.

Then there's the story of players who feel like they have been lied to-promised this or that and it didn't come through.  Don't know if any of this is true, or sour grapes over lack of playing time.

The man can't own up to being the cause of losses.  He just can't bring himself to look Arkansan's in the eye and say "it was my fault".  I noticed for instance, that Spurrier apologised to the SC fans and took all the blame for that team.

He punished Scott Cain and got him moved at the DemGaz because Scott asked some hard questions at a press conference.  Not exactly a Christian philosophy at work there.

So over the years I have gotten a not-so-flattering impression Nutt, a psychological profile of a guy that just uses the Christian thing but doesn't really practice it, who can't level with people and tell them "no" or "your kid is not college material" and so forth, who makes committments and craw fishes on people.  Who manipulates and politics his way into staying in this job when his performance is really in question, who because of these skills of cunning and deceit, seems to have a teflon coat.

It's not a very pretty picture.  If some know him real close, I would entertain an argument that this is all wrong and way off base.

Hog Bounty Hunter

It's not offbase, if anything you didn't chastise him enough as he has flat out lied to many a Arkansas boy.  He is useless piece of crap who should of never been hired in the first place.  His sneeking out of town in 77 should of told us all we need to know about his character.  He has none. He is the kind of guy who can look you in the eye smile and tell you a huge lie.  And that is one of his good points.

socalhogcaller

You can hate his coaching and want him fired, that's a fans right I guess.  But when you start questioning his validity as a Christian you had better remember Jesus' words and look at yourself instead.  Not many of us have everything we do on television for all to see. This is probably the most disturbing post I've ever read. 

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: socalhogcaller on October 03, 2005, 06:14:15 pm
This is probably the most disturbing post I've ever read.

Why?  Because it's most likely more true than not?

I've also talked to several who've encountered HDN in his years at Arkansas, and they all have a similar story.  There are a lot of Herb Grigsby type stories out there for them not to have some validity.   The "good guy and nice man" persona doesn't seem to fit the real guy.   There are just too many stories out there for them all to not be true.   I'm not saying HDN is the epitome of a Jackie Sherrill, but let's not paint the man as a saint either. 

Gman

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on October 03, 2005, 06:43:26 pm

Why? Because it's most likely more true than not?

I've also talked to several who've encountered HDN in his years at Arkansas, and they all have a similar story. There are a lot of Herb Grigsby type stories out there for them not to have some validity. The "good guy and nice man" persona doesn't seem to fit the real guy. There are just too many stories out there for them all to not be true. I'm not saying HDN is the epitome of a Jackie Sherrill, but let's not paint the man as a saint either.
I've got to agree, I'm not a big Nutt fan, but attacking the mans coaching ability and attacking him personally are two different things. 

JJHog

Quote from: JIHawg on October 03, 2005, 05:56:21 pm
Today class we will address the question: Is Nutt dishonest and deceitful, or is he just wishy washy and vacillates to the point of his word not being good.

We have this for a backdrop. Nutt has the Southern good ole boy Christian schtick down firmly. You know this type-and there are many varieties. Most are very good, wholesome, solid men, true to their wives, go to church, always honest in their dealings, apt to openly break out in a prayer if hearing of an illness, invoking Jesus at every turn in life. We need men like this, not a piece about this. Nutt definitely belongs to this club, at least in membership. In principle? That's the question.

There is the original perception of the Boise State player-the "used car salesman". I have some very good friends who do this for a living, and a good living, so apologies to them and any others who do this. It's unfair, but it does carry a meaning in Nutt's case.

Then there's the stories-a prominent Conway family, who have supported the Backs for years, the matriarch died two years ago before Thanksgiving, and the family decided to get out of town for the holiday-they scrounged up 20 tickets to the LSU game in Baton Rouge, all stayed in the team hotel. One morning, a 5 year boy among the group, who were sitting out by the pool, saw Nutt across the way. His daddy got him a football and a magic marker and told him to go over and get Houston's autograph. The kid approached Houston, who was sitting with Danny and Bobby Allen, and asked for the autograph. Houston got up, said "not today, sonny" and wandered off. Danny saw the incredulous looks on the faces of all the adults across the way, and beconed the boy over and he and Allen all tried to sugar coat it and signed the football. It was too late.

Everybody by now knows a high school coach who feels like he has been lied to by Nutt. He has offended a lot of coaches over the state with his handling of recruiting.

Then there's the story of players who feel like they have been lied to-promised this or that and it didn't come through. Don't know if any of this is true, or sour grapes over lack of playing time.

The man can't own up to being the cause of losses. He just can't bring himself to look Arkansan's in the eye and say "it was my fault". I noticed for instance, that Spurrier apologised to the SC fans and took all the blame for that team.

He punished Scott Cain and got him moved at the DemGaz because Scott asked some hard questions at a press conference. Not exactly a Christian philosophy at work there.

So over the years I have gotten a not-so-flattering impression Nutt, a psychological profile of a guy that just uses the Christian thing but doesn't really practice it, who can't level with people and tell them "no" or "your kid is not college material" and so forth, who makes committments and craw fishes on people. Who manipulates and politics his way into staying in this job when his performance is really in question, who because of these skills of cunning and deceit, seems to have a teflon coat.

It's not a very pretty picture. If some know him real close, I would entertain an argument that this is all wrong and way off base.

I know for a fact that Houston Sr was a great man, I'd be surprised that a son of his would act as you describe.
" Think Right, Do Right"

whatsshakinbacon

All head coaches are used car salesmen.  What I mean is that they have to be all things to all people.  They have to talk X's and O's with strategy types, personnel at times, finances at times, belief system at times, on and on.  Part of this is the recruiting and booster butt kissing part of the job.  Problem is, our car salesman isn't winning.  But Bobby Bowden, Lou Holtz, Phil Fulmer, etc. etc. all have this trait.

I don't fault Nutt for being a used car salesman.  He!! every used car I've ever bought has been bought from a used car salesman!  I fault him for not being a good offensive playcaller and player developer.  That's unacceptable at this level of college play.

Bacon out...

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Gman on October 03, 2005, 07:22:43 pm

I've also talked to several who've encountered HDN in his years at Arkansas, and they all have a similar story. There are a lot of Herb Grigsby type stories out there for them not to have some validity. The "good guy and nice man" persona doesn't seem to fit the real guy. There are just too many stories out there for them all to not be true. I'm not saying HDN is the epitome of a Jackie Sherrill, but let's not paint the man as a saint either.
I've got to agree, I'm not a big Nutt fan, but attacking the mans coaching ability and attacking him personally are two different things.

Really?  Do you also condone Priests molesting children?  How dare anyone question men of the cloth.

Nutt holds a position of power and authority over many young adults lives.  As a father, I would definitely question his true character before a son of mine played for him.  Anything less would be irresponsible.

I don't see attacks in this thread.  I see a few questions regarding Nutts' character, not morality.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Maybe only those who have had personal dealings with the lying SOB actually know what they are talking about.

Gman

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 03, 2005, 07:45:51 pm

Really? Do you also condone Priests molesting children? How dare anyone question men of the cloth.

Nutt holds a position of power and authority over many young adults lives. As a father, I would definitely question his true character before a son of mine played for him. Anything less would be irresponsible.

I don't see attacks in this thread. I see a few questions regarding Nutts' character, not morality.
I don't see questions, I see statements based on secondhand knowledge.  But like I said, I'm no HDN fan so it really doesn't matter to me.  I was just expressing my opinion on the subject.  Fire away, this is a message board and everyone is entitled to express themselves.

Gman

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 03, 2005, 07:47:20 pm

Maybe only those who have had personal dealings with the lying SOB actually know what they are talking about.
Could be, I know nothing about HDN, except what I see on the field.  I'm the first to admit that.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Gman on October 03, 2005, 07:53:57 pm

Could be, I know nothing about HDN, except what I see on the field. I'm the first to admit that.

I was not calling you out,  I just don't care for Nutt.

Gman

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 03, 2005, 07:55:38 pm
Quote from: Gman on October 03, 2005, 07:53:57 pm

Could be, I know nothing about HDN, except what I see on the field. I'm the first to admit that.

I was not calling you out, I just don't care for Nutt.
NP, I took no offense to it.  I was doing the same.  And I don't care much for him either.

porknpine

Your post about HDN Sr. is appreciated and understood.  He was super coaching the kids at the ASD, and helping them as well as untold others.  However, during his term as board chairman at ASD, it wasn't so pretty.  You can ask the state Legislature.

ThisTeetsTaken

Guys, we're just one play away......
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Gman

JJHog

Quote from: JIHawg on October 03, 2005, 05:56:21 pm
Today class we will address the question: Is Nutt dishonest and deceitful, or is he just wishy washy and vacillates to the point of his word not being good.

We have this for a backdrop. Nutt has the Southern good ole boy Christian schtick down firmly. You know this type-and there are many varieties. Most are very good, wholesome, solid men, true to their wives, go to church, always honest in their dealings, apt to openly break out in a prayer if hearing of an illness, invoking Jesus at every turn in life. We need men like this, not a piece about this. Nutt definitely belongs to this club, at least in membership. In principle? That's the question.

There is the original perception of the Boise State player-the "used car salesman". I have some very good friends who do this for a living, and a good living, so apologies to them and any others who do this. It's unfair, but it does carry a meaning in Nutt's case.

Then there's the stories-a prominent Conway family, who have supported the Backs for years, the matriarch died two years ago before Thanksgiving, and the family decided to get out of town for the holiday-they scrounged up 20 tickets to the LSU game in Baton Rouge, all stayed in the team hotel. One morning, a 5 year boy among the group, who were sitting out by the pool, saw Nutt across the way. His daddy got him a football and a magic marker and told him to go over and get Houston's autograph. The kid approached Houston, who was sitting with Danny and Bobby Allen, and asked for the autograph. Houston got up, said "not today, sonny" and wandered off. Danny saw the incredulous looks on the faces of all the adults across the way, and beconed the boy over and he and Allen all tried to sugar coat it and signed the football. It was too late.

Everybody by now knows a high school coach who feels like he has been lied to by Nutt. He has offended a lot of coaches over the state with his handling of recruiting.

Then there's the story of players who feel like they have been lied to-promised this or that and it didn't come through. Don't know if any of this is true, or sour grapes over lack of playing time.

The man can't own up to being the cause of losses. He just can't bring himself to look Arkansan's in the eye and say "it was my fault". I noticed for instance, that Spurrier apologised to the SC fans and took all the blame for that team.

He punished Scott Cain and got him moved at the DemGaz because Scott asked some hard questions at a press conference. Not exactly a Christian philosophy at work there.

So over the years I have gotten a not-so-flattering impression Nutt, a psychological profile of a guy that just uses the Christian thing but doesn't really practice it, who can't level with people and tell them "no" or "your kid is not college material" and so forth, who makes committments and craw fishes on people. Who manipulates and politics his way into staying in this job when his performance is really in question, who because of these skills of cunning and deceit, seems to have a teflon coat.

It's not a very pretty picture. If some know him real close, I would entertain an argument that this is all wrong and way off base.

you're crossing a line based on heresay. complain about the man as a coach, but unless you know him personally, the rest is out of line.
" Think Right, Do Right"

ThisTeetsTaken

By the way, I've always thought that Houston Dale tells people what he thinks they want to hear instead of the plain truth. Pay attention to winning coaches during their half-time interviews or their post-game interviews and you'll notice that they tell it like it is instead of making excuses or saying things that deflect the spotlight off the coaching. I go back to the player at Boise St. that called him a used car salesman. I've never heard of a player on any level accusing a coach of being a phony.

NuttsSacked

Hey, JJ, don't be so naive.  Where there's smoke, there's fire.  Are you telling me you never formed an opinion on the O.J. Simpson case?  How well did you know him?

JJHog

It's like what we read in the paper each day, you only hear about the bad side of people, the good side is buried on the back page. If HDN were winning this would never be brought up.

pitiful.
" Think Right, Do Right"

NuttsSacked

Quote from: JJHog on October 03, 2005, 09:14:53 pm

It's like what we read in the paper each day, you only hear about the bad side of people, the good side is buried on the back page. If HDN were winning this would never be brought up.

pitiful.

Earth to JJ.  The sports writers are defending this Nutt.

lerxst

I can't believe we are personally attacking a coach.  Talk about his coaching if you will.  Ain't no one on this board knows the character of this man.  I don't care what a Boise St. player said about him.  You can question his actions.  Don't question his Christianity.  We're all the same at the foot of the cross.   

ThisTeetsTaken

pitiful.

You're right, it wouldn't have been brought up. While I don't think questioning this man's integrity in his personal life is very noble, I do think it is the right of the razorback fan to question wether or not this guy is blowing smoke up his or her ass.  It also seems to me that Houston is keeping his job because of superior politics and it's only a matter of time before his opponents start the mud-slinging to beat him at his own game.

Hog Bounty Hunter

pitiful.

J you want to hear the good side just listen to Chuck or Bo. ;D

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: lerxst on October 03, 2005, 09:18:40 pm
I can't believe we are personally attacking a coach. Talk about his coaching if you will. Ain't no one on this board knows the character of this man. I don't care what a Boise St. player said about him. You can question his actions. Don't question his Christianity. We're all the same at the foot of the cross.

You're wrong

WilsonHog

To some degree, the personal stuff has been brought into play as a counter to one of the arguments often advanced by Nutt's supporters, namely his "goodness."

My personal belief is that how "good" a person a coach is has nothing to do with his qualifications to coach football, and is therefore a non-issue, on both sides.

Another non-issue, as far as I'm concerned, is where the coach is from. I couldn't care less where he grew up or what his bloodlines are.   

socalhogcaller

The original post set up Nutt as a supposed Christian and then used various slanted accounts of his actions to call his genuineness into question.  It was not simply a post about his character.  Call his character into question all you want, but I'm sure if you tried, you'd find more positive accounts about Nutt and his character from people that really know him than you would negative accounts.  We all offend someone along the way. 

In response to the post that likened Nutt's actions to a pedophile priest...that's simply moronic. 

I'll say it again, this is the most disturbing post I've ever read.

And for the record, I'm all for major changes in the coaching staff, even if that means canning Nutt.

HogBall94

I think we have enough reasons for wanting a change than to try to tie some second-hand anecdotes together to create another one. Get a life!

WILL CLINTON

I dont know how some of you would take cussing into account when questioning whether he is a "good person" or "Christian", but I have read HDN's lips on TV many times during a ball game, and to me, saying GD during a game doesn't really instill a aurora of Christianity, whether he claims to be or not.  Before you get started, I cuss, but to me, GD is crossing the line.  You can't curse God and praise him at the same time. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Jim Harris

You can hate his coaching and want him fired, that's a fans right I guess. But when you start questioning his validity as a Christian you had better remember Jesus' words and look at yourself instead. Not many of us have everything we do on television for all to see. This is probably the most disturbing post I've ever read.

would you say the same thing about Tom DeLay, another guy who puts his Christianity and holier-than-thou attitude up against some people? He's a Christian, and he'll fight you to the death to tell you that he is.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: lerxst on October 03, 2005, 09:18:40 pm
I can't believe we are personally attacking a coach. Talk about his coaching if you will. Ain't no one on this board knows the character of this man. I don't care what a Boise St. player said about him. You can question his actions. Don't question his Christianity. We're all the same at the foot of the cross.

I know that he is a liar. I've seen it. I don't know if that completely sums up his character, but I don't cotton to liars. I'm not talking about lying to the fans or on his show or in press conferences either. I've seen his ambition get the best of him, seen him throw out all kinds of private boasts and what he could get done for certain folks, then later get cornered and lie about it. Maybe plenty of folks do that. I know I don't.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogBall94

It's great to know that if God needs help or consultants when He looks into people's thoughts/minds - you guys are available.

BirmingHam

I agree with ya'lls thoughts on Nutt.  I think we should get someone with a little more character like Tommy Tubbyville.

Kevin n Hog Heaven

Ive said it before and i will say it again. HDN is not a nice person. I know this from first hand experience. He is condescending as hell. He has made young girls that wait on him at restaurants cry with threats of him getting them fired if they dont do a job "at his level."
A complete jerk and a terrible coach.

A Boy Named Sue E.

In response to the initial question posed, "Is Nutt dishonest or deceitful or just wishy washy to the point of his word being no good?", I believe the answer is a combination of 2 things, neither of which are traits often seen in successful leaders. #1. Nutt tries to be all things to all people,e.g., allowing multiple players to wear the same jersey #s, playing Tarvaris Jackson in the 3rd series just because he'd promised him the 3rd series and ignoring the fact that we were backed up to our own 1 yd. line and it was an impossible spot to give a new q.b. some p.t. By the way, Nutt did this to Tavaris numerous times, and then Nutt told everyone to get off his back for not giving the backup q.b. any snaps. #2. I don't think Nutt is consciously dishonest or disceitful, just lilke I don't think George Bush is consciously uncaring about the downtrodden in our society such as those in  New Orleans. Both men are simply so arrogant and full of themselves that they can't see the effects of their behavior as others do. If you can't tell, I've had my fill of both of these "leaders" who were woefully unqualified for their positions from the get-go.

Jim Harris

Quote from: BirmingHam on October 04, 2005, 09:41:19 am
I agree with ya'lls thoughts on Nutt. I think we should get someone with a little more character like Tommy Tubbyville.

Frank it. At least Tommy T doesn't go around pontificating what a great Christian hs is.

DirkPiggler

The only problem I have with people repeating these kinds of stories is that they weren't brought out earlier.  If the coach is an ass he should be exposed as such whether he's winning or losing.  If stories like these had been out there soon after they happened maybe we wouldn't see quite the line of people lining up to have Houston's babies.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Jim Harris

Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 05, 2005, 09:49:58 am
The only problem I have with people repeating these kinds of stories is that they weren't brought out earlier. If the coach is an ass he should be exposed as such whether he's winning or losing. If stories like these had been out there soon after they happened maybe we wouldn't see quite the line of people lining up to have Houston's babies.

people have brought out these stories, you just haven't paid attention or, like others, dismissed them at a time when Houston was winning nine games out of 13 instead of five out of 11.

Biggus Piggus

Five out of 11?

2004-10-02 Florida Gainesville (L) 30 45
2004-10-16 Auburn-AL Auburn (L) 20 38
2004-10-23 Georgia Fayetteville (L) 14 20
2004-11-06 South Carolina Columbia (L) 32 35
2004-11-13 Mississippi Fayetteville (W) 35 3
2004-11-20 Mississippi State Starkville, Ms (W) 24 21
2004-11-26 Louisiana State Little Rock (L) 14 43
2005-09-03 Missouri State Fayetteville (W) 49 17
2005-09-10 Vanderbilt Fayetteville (L) 24 28
2005-09-17 Southern California Los Angeles, CA (L) 17 70
2005-09-24 Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL (L) 13 24
[CENSORED]!

tophawg19

the only bothersome thing is he's still here .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 05, 2005, 05:26:32 pm
Five out of 11?

2004-10-02 Florida Gainesville (L) 30 45
2004-10-16 Auburn-AL Auburn (L) 20 38
2004-10-23 Georgia Fayetteville (L) 14 20
2004-11-06 South Carolina Columbia (L) 32 35
2004-11-13 Mississippi Fayetteville (W) 35 3
2004-11-20 Mississippi State Starkville, Ms (W) 24 21
2004-11-26 Louisiana State Little Rock (L) 14 43
2005-09-03 Missouri State Fayetteville (W) 49 17
2005-09-10 Vanderbilt Fayetteville (L) 24 28
2005-09-17 Southern California Los Angeles, CA (L) 17 70
2005-09-24 Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL (L) 13 24

I was referring to seasons. 9-4 in 2003, 5-6 in 2004.

Biggus Piggus

Oh, OK.

I was just thinking that nobody should be surprised that the fan mood is dour when we're 3-8 in our last 11.  Look at the home losses on that list, too.  Yee-uck.
[CENSORED]!

DirkPiggler

Quote from: drakehog on October 05, 2005, 05:25:06 pm
The only problem I have with people repeating these kinds of stories is that they weren't brought out earlier. If the coach is an ass he should be exposed as such whether he's winning or losing. If stories like these had been out there soon after they happened maybe we wouldn't see quite the line of people lining up to have Houston's babies.

people have brought out these stories, you just haven't paid attention or, like others, dismissed them at a time when Houston was winning nine games out of 13 instead of five out of 11.

If they were out there they weren't highly publicized (at least the ones dealing with regular people - not recruiting).  The only negative stories I've heard prior to these were the ones about the Grigsby recruitment  and the ones concerning the Hembree - Warren situation.  The Warren coach shares some responsibility in the latter situation so it wasn't just Nutt being an unprovoked ass.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

WilsonHog

Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 06, 2005, 09:58:26 am

If they were out there they weren't highly publicized (at least the ones dealing with regular people - not recruiting). The only negative stories I've heard prior to these were the ones about the Grigsby recruitment and the ones concerning the Hembree - Warren situation. The Warren coach shares some responsibility in the latter situation so it wasn't just Nutt being an unprovoked ass.

That's the whole point, Dirk. Fans will generally put up with an ass for a head coach so long as the team is winning. Holtz fell out of favor on the heels of a 6-5 season. Had he gone 9-2 that year, the problems that led to his exiting Fayetteville would have never appeared on the radar. 

Same with Nolan. He was calling Arkansas fans "turds and posters" long before he was shown the door, but it was tolerated because he was winning basketball games at a record clip.

Thehammer

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 06, 2005, 04:43:14 pm

If they were out there they weren't highly publicized (at least the ones dealing with regular people - not recruiting). The only negative stories I've heard prior to these were the ones about the Grigsby recruitment and the ones concerning the Hembree - Warren situation. The Warren coach shares some responsibility in the latter situation so it wasn't just Nutt being an unprovoked ass.

That's the whole point, Dirk. Fans will generally put up with an ass for a head coach so long as the team is winning. Holtz fell out of favor on the heels of a 6-5 season. Had he gone 9-2 that year, the problems that led to his exiting Fayetteville would have never appeared on the radar.

Same with Nolan. He was calling Arkansas fans "turds and posters" long before he was shown the door, but it was tolerated because he was winning basketball games at a record clip.

Look at Saban at LSU.  He and Nolan are two of the best examples I can think of. 

DirkPiggler

I don't disagree with that one bit.  When a coach is winning he'll feed you a darn sandwich and make you like it.  The trouble with that is that almost all coaches eventually start losing and the fans remember the taste of that sandwich.

WilsonHog

Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 06, 2005, 07:57:24 pm

I don't disagree with that one bit. When a coach is winning he'll feed you a Shiite sandwich and make you like it. The trouble with that is that almost all coaches eventually start losing and the fans remember the taste of that sandwich.

The astute coaches know how to get out while the getting is good in that situation, and at least prolong their career. After Kenny Hatfield left I read a quote of his where he stated that he left after consecutive 10-win seasons because he knew he would be fired the first time he went 7-4.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 06, 2005, 08:54:23 pm
Quote from: DirkPiggler on October 06, 2005, 07:57:24 pm

I don't disagree with that one bit. When a coach is winning he'll feed you a Shiite sandwich and make you like it. The trouble with that is that almost all coaches eventually start losing and the fans remember the taste of that sandwich.

The astute coaches know how to get out while the getting is good in that situation, and at least prolong their career. After Kenny Hatfield left I read a quote of his where he stated that he left after consecutive 10-win seasons because he knew he would be fired the first time he went 7-4.

This is exactly why I think Nutt will be gone at the end of this season, even if he's not forced to leave.  Despite evidence to the contrary as shown by his coaching, Nutt is not an idiot.  He knows that even if he's allowed to stay he's lost much of the fan base forever, and the only way to win us back is to win more games than he's capable of doing.  Sexton will get him interviews at places like Clemson and Kentucky, and HDN the ultimate self-promoter will convince one of them that he's the best man for the job.  A fresh start would do as much good for HDN as it would for our program.

Dyerhog

Like many, I do not think Coach Nutt is a good football coach--unlike many, because he is my football coach he will receive my support as long as he is my football coach.  I guess I'm weird that way but my Dad provided me a life lesson about loyalty and being true to my commitments.  Many can dispute this by saying Houston was not true to his commitment when he transferred or that he doesn't deserve the loyalty for this reason or for that reason.  To this argument, I say BS, this is rationaliztion to justify ones own behavior.  I wonder whose character is really being exposed with these personal attacks on Coach Nutt??

5 little pigs

I've never heard HDN being viewed in that light before, in fact, several years ago we were on our way to a youth baseball tourney with approximately 12 10-year olds and stopped at a convenience store on the east side of Fay to buy snacks.  HDN pulls in and took at least 15 minutes to visit with the boys and sign anything they could throw at him.  He was extremely accomodating.

As far as being head man of the football Razorbacks, I just don't think he is doing the job we are paying him for.  All excuses aside, the overall performance of him and his coaches and team is simply not up to the compensation he and some of his staff are receiving.  No one should be rewarded for declining performance.

Neither do I believe all the talk about Gus Malzahn joining his staff will remedy anything....if HDN has refused to hire an OC all these years, why is their reason believe that having GM on board will cause HDN to change and actually allow him to call plays or run the offense.  Malzahn might be effective in another system, but he will have to be allowed to utilize his skills and he won't with HDN at the helm!!

We need complete and total overhaul from the AD on down!!!  Go HOGS!!!  Fire HDN!!!