Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just getting into the field of 64 isn’t enough

Started by jst01, February 03, 2018, 08:23:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jst01

It doesn't matter if this team squeaks into the tournament. The process has been eye opening with regards to MA's ability to manage a team of mostly Seniors and his ability to get full potential out of a team. What will actually change next year? Different bodies trying to do the same stuff with MA telling them the same things.

I think of it like this, if Bret had lucked into winning 2 more games last season and barely made a bowl game and kept his job, does anyone think he would have had any more success in the future than winning 8 games a year? Not I.

MA has shown his ceiling here at AR. And just making the tourney this year won't raise that ceiling at all.

grayhawg

Maximus Tusk

Yeah I'm with you brother. What we're seeing is as good as it gets with this coach. We have talent with many seniors in the mix and we're always holding our breath in February to see IF we're gonna make the tournament. Ours is a program that should be in there almost every year...and I mean solid, not a bubble team. Mike's a nice guy but this is his ceiling coaching wise. Sad

RacinRazorback

I agree CMA can't and never will get to the next level! Time to cut bait and get on with the next coach.........start right now talking to Billy Donovan about coming back to college ball! Throw the kitchen sink and then everything else at him to get him to come! Just a pipe dream I know, but that would be sweeeet! WPS!!

Poker_hog

Yes it is.  We're not a good enough program to fire a coach that makes the dance.  It's been 22 years since we've done more than play a game or 2 in the field of 64.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 06, 2018, 07:27:21 am
Yes it is.  We're not a good enough program to fire a coach that makes the dance.  It's been 22 years since we've done more than play a game or 2 in the field of 64.

We fired Heath. He had made it twice in a row and likely would have made it a third time the following year.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

riccoar

Coming off of last year, with what we returned, NOT making the NCAAT would have to be seen as a major failure in terms of leadership.

razorpimp

Compare our basketball arena to any other in the nation!  We fill up a huge arena by having a crappy product that squeaks into the tourney.

We are good enough just have made bonehead decisions like Heath, Pephrey, and now keeping Mediocre Mike! 

Throw money at a real coach and reap the rewards

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: razorpimp on February 06, 2018, 07:41:51 am
Compare our basketball arena to any other in the nation!  We fill up a huge arena by having a crappy product that squeaks into the tourney.

We are good enough just have made bonehead decisions like Heath, Pephrey, and now keeping Mediocre Mike! 

No one has shown an ability to recruit or win with any consistent level of success since Nolan. You can't just expect to pull a great coach like Frank Martin from another program. We're not that prestigious. We'd have to hire an up-and-comer like Chris Beard.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

labb

You guys are living in a dream world..Guess you have forgotten what we went through when we hired Anderson...Couldn't get a big name coach to even talk to us..You think that we can go out there on the market and throw a bunch of $$ around and hire who we want. Not going to happen if Anderson is fired. A up and comer that you take a chance on..That what we will get.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: labb on February 06, 2018, 08:31:58 am
You guys are living in a dream world..Guess you have forgotten what we went through when we hired Anderson...Couldn't get a big name coach to even talk to us..You think that we can go out there on the market and throw a bunch of $$ around and hire who we want. Not going to happen if Anderson is fired. A up and comer that you take a chance on..That what we will get.
agreed. That being said, another great coach and a few years of success, and suddenly we're a great program again. We have the background and support to be a top-15 to top-10 program, but we're not de facto a great program just because of the past. Only a very small handful of schools are great programs regardless of coach.

Atlhogfan1

We did a coaching search? 

You saying we settled for MA? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jst01

We don't need a Big Name Coach!! Plenty of coaches are out there that understand what the game of basketball is today and how to win.  Many of them were 'up and comers' when they got to their current spots. Look at the top 10 right now.

Purdue - Matt Painter, was up and comer at Souther Illinois.
Xavier - Chris Mack, up and comer, was assistant at X and Wake before getting that job.
Chris Beard- we all know his story
Cincy - Mick Cronin, up and comer, was assistant before getting Murray State HC job.

There are handfuls of guys that are under the age of 50 and were taught how to play the game using fundamentals and smart gameplay.  You wouldn't have to spend $3MM + to get them either.  We don't have to land an elite level coach to get better than we are now, which I remind you is TWO trips to the tourney in SIX years.  Trips....that ended after 1 win each time. 

AR can and will do better than Mike Anderson, maybe next year or the year after, but he is the definition of average and "past his prime" if I have ever seen it.

NoogaHog

I think it was Jim Bailey (it may have been Mike Irwin) (Sorry) who made the point the other night that Nolan didn't have success with senior laden teams. The Day-Mayberry-Miller team peaked as sophomores, as did the 94 team, when Corliss and Scotty were sophomores. Miller was definitely not the same player by his senior year. (Corliss, and Scotty were not around for their senior years)

I don't know if the comparison is completely relevant, but just making a point.

Maybe Dan and Day-Day are going to set the world on fire next year.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jst01 on February 06, 2018, 08:58:40 am
We don't need a Big Name Coach!! Plenty of coaches are out there that understand what the game of basketball is today and how to win.  Many of them were 'up and comers' when they got to their current spots. Look at the top 10 right now.

Xavier - Chris Mack, up and comer, was assistant at X and Wake before getting that job.
Cincy - Mick Cronin, up and comer, was assistant before getting Murray State HC job.

There are handfuls of guys that are under the age of 50 and were taught how to play the game using fundamentals and smart gameplay.  You wouldn't have to spend $3MM + to get them either.  We don't have to land an elite level coach to get better than we are now, which I remind you is TWO trips to the tourney in SIX years.  Trips....that ended after 1 win each time. 

AR can and will do better than Mike Anderson, maybe next year or the year after, but he is the definition of average and "past his prime" if I have ever seen it.

Xavier knows how to hire coaches. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Nickle-Pig

Not sure we will be going to the NCAA more likely the NIT. If we win the next three games we might turn it around. We are good enough to do that. I hope you are wrong about our coaches abilities as far as learning. If you stop learning your dead. I don't care what it is you do in life you have to keep learning and keep growing. This is a test for him and if he fails turning this around it will be the beginning of the end. The end will take a while however. remember, he has never had a losing season and he is the only guy with that two years of winning on the road thing.  I never questioned his coaching ability until this season. there is certainly something going on and it is not the talent we have. For the first time I have my doubts but what the hell will we do if he can't fix this. You think we can get anyone better? Look at our record. The history is like a barren desert with a 20-year oasis. If Mike isn't the right guy we are screwed. It's off my chest.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

labb

The hires I have been through:
Eddie Sutton---Up and comer. Great hire
Nolan Richardson--Up and comer. Great hire
Stan Heath--Up and comer..Not so good. His record was not bad but it was like watching paint dry.
John Pelphrey--Up and comer...Never did figure out what he was about.
Mike Anderson. Proven coach. Folks were holding their breath hoping he would take the job..Drug our program out of the dumpster fire it was in. W/L record not so good.
We would have had Bill Self if one Mr. John White had of staid out of it.
It is a crap shoot When you hire a coach. Up and comer or proven...

cram224

How does anybody know if we can get a good coach. Mike Anderson was the only coach considered at the time he was hired. Fans felt like we needed to right the wrongs of the program. I truly believe JL felt like his hands were tied because Mike Anderson was the only coach who could rally the fan base. It didn't make much difference what his record was at the time. It was MA or bust. We bust.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: labb on February 06, 2018, 09:29:25 am
Stan Heath--Up and comer..Not so good. His record was not bad but it was like watching paint dry.
Mike Anderson. Proven coach. Folks were holding their breath hoping he would take the job..Drug our program out of the dumpster fire it was in. W/L record not so good.

Post Nolan hires have not been "normal" searches. 
We were no more of a rebuild than UAB or Mizzou when he got those jobs. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: labb on February 06, 2018, 09:29:25 am
Dana Altman was a solid hire, but he got out of dodge as soon as he got here. That was a crippling, embarrassing moment for the program. The end result was Pelphrey, who basically reversed the progress that Heath had made. Now I think we are in solid shape, probably the best shape we've been in since Nolan left. I'm confident that the next hire won't be John Pelphrey or Stan Heath, but I'm not expecting us to hire Chris Beard, either. probably a great up-and-coming coach from a mid-major or an established, lower-level coach like Kermit Davis.

labb

I didn't list Altman because we don't know what he would have done. Mess we were in scared him to death so he ran.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: jst01 on February 03, 2018, 08:23:08 pm
It doesn't matter if this team squeaks into the tournament. The process has been eye opening with regards to MA's ability to manage a team of mostly Seniors and his ability to get full potential out of a team. What will actually change next year? Different bodies trying to do the same stuff with MA telling them the same things.

I think of it like this, if Bret had lucked into winning 2 more games last season and barely made a bowl game and kept his job, does anyone think he would have had any more success in the future than winning 8 games a year? Not I.

MA has shown his ceiling here at AR. And just making the tourney this year won't raise that ceiling at all.
Exactly! Time for a change!

HeyHogs

Quote from: grayhawg on February 03, 2018, 08:39:57 pm
I doubt we make the 64 team field
Surely we can make the 68 team field if we cannot make the 64 team field, correct?

rzrbkman

:I do not think the team will even make the Field of 68.

cardsNhogs

Yes Please! We would have a chance!

daprospecta

Go look at Mick Cronin's career at Cincy. He'd be fired if he were here with those results.  He made one sweet 16 about ten years ago and gets bounced every first weekend of the tourney.  I stand by Mike being let go if we see these problems bleed into next year but it's tough to find a coach that will consistently get you past the first weekend. Everyone clamors for a new coach, which I get but why bring in a coach that will get similar results? Just to see drawn up plays?

daprospecta

Darious Hall runs Mike's system.  He looks damn good doing it too.  We have three role players and an undersized combo guard getting serious minutes on this team.  Next year, we will have athletic players from the top to the bottom of the bench. For everyone saying freshman can't make a difference, look at Trae Young, look at our own D.H. Freshman can make a difference.  He gets more year from me and according to M.I. our new AD feels the same way.

jst01

Quote from: daprospecta on February 06, 2018, 10:20:04 am
Go look at Mick Cronin's career at Cincy. He'd be fired if he were here with those results.  He made one sweet 16 about ten years ago and gets bounced every first weekend of the tourney.  I stand by Mike being let go if we see these problems bleed into next year but it's tough to find a coach that will consistently get you past the first weekend. Everyone clamors for a new coach, which I get but why bring in a coach that will get similar results? Just to see drawn up plays?

He hasn't missed the tournament once. Since the Sweet 16 (6 years ago), he has made the tourney every year and past the first round in half of the times.  Now his team is ranked in the top 10.  People here at AR would be going nuts over a coach that hasn't missed the tourney in 6 years and was poised to get a 3 seed.  I don't understand why some think that any new coach would have similar results as Mike? The statistical odds are that a new coach would at least equal what he has done, b/c its nothing special.

jst01

Quote from: daprospecta on February 06, 2018, 10:25:25 am
Darious Hall runs Mike's system.  He looks damn good doing it too.  We have three role players and an undersized combo guard getting serious minutes on this team.  Next year, we will have athletic players from the top to the bottom of the bench. For everyone saying freshman can't make a difference, look at Trae Young, look at our own D.H. Freshman can make a difference.  He gets more year from me and according to M.I. our new AD feels the same way.

cool, so Mike gets a pass for having a roster full of role players and undersized guards.  I don't need to explain to you that Mike is responsible for developing a roster.  Mike had 6 years to get this team ready and he even got his dream!!!! For Barford and Macon to come back and he still is barely scraping by. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: jst01 on February 06, 2018, 10:26:57 am
He hasn't missed the tournament once. Since the Sweet 16 (6 years ago), he has made the tourney every year and past the first round in half of the times.  Now his team is ranked in the top 10.  People here at AR would be going nuts over a coach that hasn't missed the tourney in 6 years and was poised to get a 3 seed.  I don't understand why some think that any new coach would have similar results as Mike? The statistical odds are that a new coach would at least equal what he has done, b/c its nothing special.
No we wouldn't. We'd be saying, "He better make a run this year. Not making it past the first weekend is becoming an Arkansas tradition, and he better get over the hump soon, or we'll find someone better."
That being said, I'd like to be in Cincy's position right now. They can keep the AAC, though. Until Memphis gets good again, that's a two-horse league with nothing else.

daprospecta

Quote from: jst01 on February 06, 2018, 10:26:57 am
First, I said the first weekend not the first round. I posted his career at Cincy. Looks kind of familiar doesn't it.  Every one here complains about never making it out of the first weekend. You guys think we would be happy with a coach who after 12 years, only made it past the round of 32 once?  Yea right. The grass always looks greener but it's not.  Not saying we shouldn't fire Mike if next year looks like this year, I am saying that great coaches are rare and to expect something similar.

2006–07   Cincinnati   11–19   2–14   16th   
2007–08   Cincinnati   13–19   8–10   10th   CBI First Round
2008–09   Cincinnati   18–14   8–10   T–9th   
2009–10   Cincinnati   19–16   7–11   T–11th   NIT Second Round
2010–11   Cincinnati   26–9   11–7   T–6th   NCAA Round of 32
2011–12   Cincinnati   26–11   12–6   T–4th   NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13   Cincinnati   22–12   9–9   T–9th   NCAA Round of 64
Cincinnati (American Athletic Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14   Cincinnati   27–7   15–3   T–1st   NCAA Round of 64
2014–15   Cincinnati   23–11*   13–5*   T–3rd   NCAA Round of 32
2015–16   Cincinnati   22–11   12–6   T–3rd   NCAA Round of 64
2016–17   Cincinnati   30–6   16–2   2nd   NCAA Round of 32

daprospecta

Quote from: jst01 on February 06, 2018, 10:29:17 am
cool, so Mike gets a pass for having a roster full of role players and undersized guards.  I don't need to explain to you that Mike is responsible for developing a roster.  Mike had 6 years to get this team ready and he even got his dream!!!! For Barford and Macon to come back and he still is barely scraping by. 
I didn't say a pass.  A pass would mean this year does not count. It absolutely does and next year mimicking this year would be cause for firing.

20gauge

Quote from: daprospecta on February 06, 2018, 10:25:25 am
Which one of the incoming freshman is a MCd'a AA. I love Hall but he hasn't had near the effect on this team that Young has had at OU. Sure there could be a diamond in the rough but for the most part sub 100 recruits perform like sub 100 recruits. Some so develope in to very good players just not usually instant impact guys.

Hall brings intensity and effort every game. He's going to be a solid player for sure but let's not act like he's made an overly huge impact when our results and his numbers don't back it up

daprospecta

Quote from: 20gauge on February 06, 2018, 12:24:23 pm
Which one of the incoming freshman is a MCd'a AA. I love Hall but he hasn't had near the effect on this team that Young has had at OU. Sure there could be a diamond in the rough but for the most part sub 100 recruits perform like sub 100 recruits. Some so develope in to very good players just not usually instant impact guys.

Hall brings intensity and effort every game. He's going to be a solid player for sure but let's not act like he's made an overly huge impact when our results and his numbers don't back it up

My point was freshmen can contribute and play a significant role. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hog Fan...DOH!

College basketball as a whole is a mess this year.  I'm not excuse-making, but you have Top 25 teams with 6-7 losses right now.  Arkansas still has time to make this a good season which makes these threads hilarious.  They also have time to completely fall apart.   

okrazorback

It has been that long since we had a good coach.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 06, 2018, 01:03:22 pm
College basketball as a whole is a mess this year.  I'm not excuse-making, but you have Top 25 teams with 6-7 losses right now.  Arkansas still has time to make this a good season which makes these threads hilarious.  They also have time to completely fall apart.   
agree 100,000%

Cargill A. BullHog

The bar keeps getting set higher for Coach A.  This team makes it tough on a good coach, if he can somehow guide this selfish group into the big dance he should be given another extension to go with the one he signed a week ago.  If we get to the dance, and our guards get hot, we could win several games, maybe make the F4
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2018, 09:41:08 am
Post Nolan hires have not been "normal" searches. 
We were no more of a rebuild than UAB or Mizzou when he got those jobs.

?

UAB was in a top heavy conference that was otherwise weak. Much easier to raise win totals in.

Mizzou coach prior to MA went to an elite eight and currently coaches in the NBA.

I don't recall a newly hired coach fleeing UAB or Mizzou and either following that up with a disastrous hire. Those things happened here.

The basketball program was a huge dumpster fire with a poor conference record in the prior decade as well.

okrazorback

I didn't know we even tried to get another coach. I thought Mike might get us to the promise  land, but he is not going to Don't tell me we can't get one we have had at least two Sutton and Nolan.

razorback1829

This is the most ridiculous thread. Arkansas basketball hasn't done enough in the past 25 years to warrant this type of STUPID post. If he makes the tournament, that's 2 in a row, 3 out of the last 4. You'd be crazy to even touch a coach whose done that. Boy y'all really know nothing at all, which makes me thankful you are no where near running any athletic program. Wholly crap.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 07, 2018, 09:09:30 pm
This is the most ridiculous thread. Arkansas basketball hasn't done enough in the past 25 years to warrant this type of STUPID post. If he makes the tournament, that's 2 in a row, 3 out of the last 4. You'd be crazy to even touch a coach whose done that. Boy y'all really know nothing at all, which makes me thankful you are no where near running any athletic program. Wholly crap.

Post of the year

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorpimp on February 06, 2018, 07:41:51 am

Every time someone says " throw money" they should be required to post how much they donate.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2018, 06:45:53 am
Every time someone says " throw money" they should be required to post how much they donate.

No doubt. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 07, 2018, 07:27:36 pm
?

UAB was in a top heavy conference that was otherwise weak. Much easier to raise win totals in.

Mizzou coach prior to MA went to an elite eight and currently coaches in the NBA.

I don't recall a newly hired coach fleeing UAB or Mizzou and either following that up with a disastrous hire. Those things happened here.

The basketball program was a huge dumpster fire with a poor conference record in the prior decade as well.

What is your question jamie? 

Under Murry Bartow, UAB averaged 17 wins a season.  They were 13-17 in his last season.

Quin Snyder averaged 18 in the 6 seasons leading up to Anderson's hiring.  3 seasons before Mike's hiring, Mizzou basketball went on NCAA probation due to the Ricky Clemons recruitment.  Snyder resigned 7 games before the 06 season ended.   Mizzou finished 12-16 that season.

In the 6 seasons before Mike came back to Arkansas, we averaged almost 19 wins a season.  No NCAA probation.  Team had just went 18-13.  APR was improving.  He had a decent recruiting class left for him.  Altman left 4 years before Mike got the job.  Mizzou was placed on 3 years probation just 3 years before Mike became coach at Mizzou.

But lets take your point of view from this post.  Are you suggesting what Mike did at UAB and Mizzou wasn't anything special?  Damn, I wish that would have been the point of view of you campaigners when it was happening.  Your post is the first from the fan club I've seen admit this point of view.  It was he was a miracle worker at those places taking downtrodden programs to places they've rarely been.  Took down UK.  Went to the E8.  But you are admitting it wasn't anything that great. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 07, 2018, 09:09:30 pm

25 years ago was 1993 - Sw 16.
24 NC
23 NCG
22 Sw 16

May want to revise your timeline so you can make our program look worse. 

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 08:26:09 am
25 years ago was 1993 - Sw 16.
24 NC
23 NCG
22 Sw 16

May want to revise your timeline so you can make our program look worse.

so we have 4 years out of the last 25 I think is the point ...from 76-96 we were good the rest of our history is bleak ...not saying we are not better off now however
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on February 08, 2018, 08:33:22 am
so we have 4 years out of the last 25 I think is the point ...from 76-96 we were good the rest of our history is bleak ...not saying we are not better off now however

Not bleak.  Not up to our standards. 

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 08:36:04 am
Not bleak.  Not up to our standards.

You're not completely out of the national picture for 20 years and still have the same mindset. The college basketball landscape has changed 3-4 times since then, as well as the game. Applying standards from the 90's really isn't realistic. Which is why getting rid of or even thinking about touching a coach who going to be in the tournament 3 of 4 years is asinine. And stupid.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 06, 2018, 08:39:07 am
We did a coaching search? 

You saying we settled for MA?
We settled for John Pelphrey. Hiring Pel is what made the search for Anderson so short.