Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

56Hog

Quote from: dooley on August 17, 2012, 08:24:52 am
If the SEC is talking to ND, it might just be to screw with everyone else.  And the SEC is powerful enough to do that.  Look at how Slive blew up UT's big play to move to the Pac 10 with it's own division.  All he had to do was make a couple of flights to College Station and Norman.

Uh-huh.  Slive cuts the Champions Bowl agreement - simultaneously propping up the B12 and undermining the ACC and going head to head with the B1G/PAC/Rose Bowl.

The next step might well be a scheduling agreement with ND, propping up the Irish and announcing to the media busness the SEC has permaently trumped the B1G.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

online-with-swine

ND is a Catholic Texas, smug and entitled.  I would rather have OSU and OU b/f either of those two.

elvis26

;D murr what is the latest news on expansion? i READ ON ESPN WHERE THE BIG XII SAID THEY WAS INTERESTED IN FUTURE EXPANSION. I BELIEVE THE SEC WILL GO TO SIXTEEN TEAMS FOR THE 2014 SEASON!!

Murr

Quote from: elvis26 on August 30, 2012, 09:46:34 pm
;D murr what is the latest news on expansion? i READ ON ESPN WHERE THE BIG XII SAID THEY WAS INTERESTED IN FUTURE EXPANSION. I BELIEVE THE SEC WILL GO TO SIXTEEN TEAMS FOR THE 2014 SEASON!!

It's pretty much on hold for the time being. 

1. Football season is about to start.
2. Big 12 football contract is not finalized or made public.
3. Playoff Money Distribution not finalized

Unless ESPN manages to get the ACC(unlikely) or Big 12(very unlikely) to poach a Big East team and weaken the NBC contract, nothing will happen until all the information of the new football postseason and new TV contracts are signed.

If you want to follow the Big East TV negotations, follow @mhver3.  His insider says Big East's full members (football and basketball) should make close to what the ACC teams make.  Football only will get $11M and BB only get $4 or $5M.  He said the $11M will probably get BYU and Air Force to join as football only members by the end of the calendar year.

It's mostly slowed down due to school being back in session and football season starting, thus not allowing Presidents and administrators to send as much time on this subject.

exit19

Quote from: Murr on August 30, 2012, 11:02:35 pm
It's pretty much on hold for the time being. 

1. Football season is about to start.
2. Big 12 football contract is not finalized or made public.
3. Playoff Money Distribution not finalized

Unless ESPN manages to get the ACC(unlikely) or Big 12(very unlikely) to poach a Big East team and weaken the NBC contract, nothing will happen until all the information of the new football postseason and new TV contracts are signed.

If you want to follow the Big East TV negotations, follow @mhver3.  His insider says Big East's full members (football and basketball) should make close to what the ACC teams make.  Football only will get $11M and BB only get $4 or $5M.  He said the $11M will probably get BYU and Air Force to join as football only members by the end of the calendar year.

It's mostly slowed down due to school being back in session and football season starting, thus not allowing Presidents and administrators to send as much time on this subject.

Okay so what about Notre Dame to the ACC??

1. What does this mean to big 12 expansion.  Do FSu and Clemson stay in the ACC now?

2. What does this mean to SEC expansion.  Does FSU staying prevent VTech and UNC from coming to the SEC?

3. Does the Big Ten give up on ND and go to 16 through... Louisville? Rutgers? Woo Kansas?

4. Why do people want Notre Damd if it's clear they aren't ever going to be a football member?

5. Is the Big East nearly dead?  Who gets TCU Cincy etc.?

EXPANSION IS BACK LOL

Dumb ole famrboy

Probably slams the door on Big 12 or SEC expansion - rumor is ACC voted in a 50 million exit fee.

dooley

It's a shot directly to the Big 12 and Big East and somewhat to the Big 10.  Maybe Texas gets over themselves now and the Big 12 doubles-down on FSU and someone else.  However, this move might stabilize the ACC.

My personal opinion, though, is that any conference that allows ND to come in as less than a full member is foolish.  How do you let one school dictate the conditions of its conference affiliation such as not playing a full slate of conference games.  Rick Reilly was correct in that this stuff needed to stop and here goes the ACC doing it again.

online-with-swine

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on September 12, 2012, 10:48:46 am
Probably slams the door on Big 12 or SEC expansion - rumor is ACC voted in a 50 million exit fee.

Yeah but when does that exit fee kick in?  If not immediately then things may happen very fast now.  That date for the fees to start is essentially the deadline for expansion in the SEC and Big12.

dooley

exit19

Interesting because for football the big east was set to grow.  Rutgers Cincy Louisville USF welcome Houston Boise etc. in the future.    Now what

dooley

Quote from: exit19 on September 12, 2012, 11:26:33 am
Interesting because for football the big east was set to grow.  Rutgers Cincy Louisville USF welcome Houston Boise etc. in the future.    Now what

Rutgers and UConn to the ACC?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on September 12, 2012, 10:48:46 am

Yes, but they cannot bind anybody retroactively.That's what the Big XII tried and A&M and Missouri took a hike before they signed it. Look for several of the ACC schools to do likewise. The earliest they can amend the terms of the television agreement is 2013 because this season has already begun. This action most likley accelerates the realignment process.

NaturalStateReb

I think SEC expansion now looks unlikely for the forseeable future.  Outside of the SEC teams, about the best we could do would be SMU and Lousiville. 

Not gonna happen.  SEC expansion is now as dead as fried chicken.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

exit19

The more I think about it the more LIKELY expansion seems.  It's like Texas hog said , the impending fees put pressure on the ACC teams to jump NOW. 

FSU Clemson to big 12, VTech UNC to sec by Thanksgiving?

dooley

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 12, 2012, 12:56:27 pm
I think SEC expansion now looks unlikely for the forseeable future.  Outside of the SEC teams, about the best we could do would be SMU and Lousiville. 

mmmmmm . . . fried chicken.

Murr

Interesting day.

Notre Dame announced as 15th member of ACC (all sports but football and hockey).

2/3 majority vote required in ACC:
1. Notre Dame acceptance Vote: 10-4 (Nah's supposedly FSU, Clemson, NC St and VT)
2. Vote to increase exit fees due to failure to pass GOR: Atleast 2 "no" (FSU and MD per Warchant.com)

The details are still filtering out and getting clarified:
1. Exit fee set at three times the yearly ACC operating budget (and expected to rise continuously)
2. How was Syracuse and Pitt allowed to vote when they haven't fully joined yet?
3. What are FSU's legal options, how hard would they have to fight and would they even have a place to land if they did escape?

From the SEC perspective, I wonder how happy staying at 14 would makes them?  Do they extend the olive branch to FSU if they know VT or a Carolina school will follow?

Swofford pulled a fast one; added ND and increased exit fees by allowing 'Cuse and Pitt to vote.  If something is going to happen, it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Also, read ACC might start looking for a 16th team (nonfootball playing) with strong BB.  Read Georgetown, Villanova and UConn as teams being mulled around.  Also noticed, via yahoo sports, that UConn Men's BB coach is planning to retire. Hmmm... that was the one coach that had the old ACC blue bloods opposed to adding, might make it harder for the SEC to add UNC if the revised contract bumps up a couple of mill.

jmb1973

Quote from: Ty Webb240 on May 05, 2012, 09:04:09 pm
Can't fathom a school of ECU's stature gets an invite to best conference in the land, especially when you consider the quality of the most recent additions (Mizzou and A&M) and prior to that (Arkansas and South Carolina). 

I would imagine ECU's chance would be less than 1%.

After last saturday I don't think you should use us as a "quality" addition.

elvis26

;D expansion is far from dead in the sec!! the announcement by the acc will only speed things up!!! move over boys no-car and vt are coming very soon!!!! things are looking good for the best conference in the world!!!! go reel them in slive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murr

Quote from: exit19 on September 12, 2012, 01:24:51 pm
The more I think about it the more LIKELY expansion seems.  It's like Texas hog said , the impending fees put pressure on the ACC teams to jump NOW. 

It all depends on how much FSU would have to actually pay to get out.  Swofford intensionally blindsided FSU by holding the Notre Dame and Exit Fee votes last weekend; supposedly FSU and the Big 12 started talks again prior to the vote.  Expect legal action to settle FSU's situation and then others might follow suit.  FSU has some funds saved up, but not enough, even with help, to cover the $50M.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Murr on September 12, 2012, 07:56:48 pm
Interesting day.

Notre Dame announced as 15th member of ACC (all sports but football and hockey).

2/3 majority vote required in ACC:
1. Notre Dame acceptance Vote: 10-4 (Nah's supposedly FSU, Clemson, NC St and VT)
2. Vote to increase exit fees due to failure to pass GOR: Atleast 2 "no" (FSU and MD per Warchant.com)

The details are still filtering out and getting clarified:
1. Exit fee set at three times the yearly ACC operating budget (and expected to rise continuously)
2. How was Syracuse and Pitt allowed to vote when they haven't fully joined yet?
3. What are FSU's legal options, how hard would they have to fight and would they even have a place to land if they did escape?

From the SEC perspective, I wonder how happy staying at 14 would makes them?  Do they extend the olive branch to FSU if they know VT or a Carolina school will follow?

Swofford pulled a fast one; added ND and increased exit fees by allowing 'Cuse and Pitt to vote.  If something is going to happen, it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Also, read ACC might start looking for a 16th team (nonfootball playing) with strong BB.  Read Georgetown, Villanova and UConn as teams being mulled around.  Also noticed, via yahoo sports, that UConn Men's BB coach is planning to retire. Hmmm... that was the one coach that had the old ACC blue bloods opposed to adding, might make it harder for the SEC to add UNC if the revised contract bumps up a couple of mill.

Swofford may have pulled a fast one by allowing Pitt and Cuse a vote but

8-4 for Notre Dame is still 2/3's
10-2 for increased exit fee is still > 2/3s

Murr

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on September 13, 2012, 05:18:31 am
Swofford may have pulled a fast one by allowing Pitt and Cuse a vote but

8-4 for Notre Dame is still 2/3's
10-2 for increased exit fee is still > 2/3s

Were Pitt and Syracuse even eligible to legally vote on official ACC matters?  We're these votes voted on by the proper people (University Presidents or some kind of representative)?

And damages from exit fees are negotiated down from the by-law levels.  Big 12 should have received $100M from its four teams but settled for $30M+.  Big East teams payed more to leave earlier and because damages were higher.

You know FSU is pissed; they have publicly contradicted ACC claims through the war chants site using actual BOT Chairman's quotes.  That never happens during an expansion announcement.  If any team is going to escape the ACC,  they are going to fight now before they can't dispute the new by-law and it begins to increase from $50M.

Murr

You are probably correct, but I will say that on a good note, two desired expansion candidates (VT and NC State) did supposedly vote against adding the Irish.

Murr

Quote from: dooley on September 12, 2012, 11:04:59 am
Is there anyone left in the Big East?
The Big East still has 13 football members and might one or two more.  Losing ND hurts their TV contract on both FB and BB.  NBC is still starving for content.  So even if Lville and UConn leave, they can back fill with Air Force, BYU and others.

Off the top of my head, the nBE is expecting to have these FB teams:
UConn
Rutgers
Temple
UCF
USF
Lville
Cincy
Memphis
Navy
SMU
Houston
Boise St
SDST

dooley

dooley

Quote from: Murr on September 13, 2012, 07:55:44 am
The Big East still has 13 football members and might one or two more.  Losing ND hurts their TV contract on both FB and BB.  NBC is still starving for content.  So even if Lville and UConn leave, they can back fill with Air Force, BYU and others.

Off the top of my head, the nBE is expecting to have these FB teams:
UConn
Rutgers
Temple
UCF
USF
Lville
Cincy
Memphis
Navy
SMU
Houston
Boise St
SDST

UConn and Rutgers have to be in the ACC's sites to get the whole Eastern Seaboard.

online-with-swine

Legally can a conference vote for a 50 mill exit fee and force a member who voted against to be held to it immediately.  Focus on the immediately part.  Just doesn't seem right to surprise a school with a vote like this and say "oops gotcha, you owe us 50 mill starting now".  There has to be either prior knowledge that a vote like this was coming or a grace period for when it kicks in.  Otherwise, what keeps a league from voting for something as arbitrary as......... all schools from the state of Florida must pay yearly fees to the other schools to balance out recruiting advantages they have.

Murr

Quote from: dooley on September 13, 2012, 08:11:19 am
UConn and Rutgers have to be in the ACC's sites to get the whole Eastern Seaboard.

Depends how much trash ESPN wants to leave NBC with.

Oh, remember the Charlie Strong -Arkansas rumors, it didn't just start from last weekends epic fail in Little Rock it's also a push to get Lville out of the Big East; Big 12 or ACC will do.  Lville supposedly has the $$$ to still help FSU get out of the ACC if they are guarrenteed a Big 12 home.  The major hold up is does this combo applease the Fox/ESPN Big 12 TV contract and are the votes for admittance there?

texas tush hog

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 13, 2012, 09:12:16 am
Legally can a conference vote for a 50 mill exit fee and force a member who voted against to be held to it immediately.  Focus on the immediately part.  Just doesn't seem right to surprise a school with a vote like this and say "oops gotcha, you owe us 50 mill starting now".  There has to be either prior knowledge that a vote like this was coming or a grace period for when it kicks in.  Otherwise, what keeps a league from voting for something as arbitrary as......... all schools from the state of Florida must pay yearly fees to the other schools to balance out recruiting advantages they have.

According to some of my Aggie lawyer buddies, the Big XII tried something along these lines before they and Mizzou bolted. The exit fees that were being proposed could only be enforced on schools that subscribed to them aka voted for them. They cannot be imposed retroactively after the tv contracts have been ratified without ammending the original agreement. If FSU or any other member protests then it could nullify the whole tv deal. Otherwise they can exit the original contract without even having to pay the original exit fees. Don't know what the vote was but anybody who voted in favor of the exit fees are stuck for the duration.

Murr

Quote from: exit19 on September 12, 2012, 01:24:51 pm

With ND joining the ACC, my gut feeling is Clemson is staying; they love the academics side too much to move now.  UNC might be harder to pry away if at all possible now.  Best chance to land them would be to have FSU forge a path to the Big 12 (with Lville), VT is conviced SEC grass is greener and jumps, SEC squeezes UNC but would settle for NC State, ESPN blesses ACC to back fill with Big East Additions like UConn (think Calhouns' retirement this week) or Rutgers or...  Regardless, in this scenario ESPN manages to severely weaken the Big East while filling in "holes" in it's other conferences.

online-with-swine

What if Slive sees this as his last chance to get the SEC to 16 and goes ahead and invites FSU to force another school such as Maryland or VT?  Sounds crazy but what if he wants/needs 16 that bad that he would go against his new markets proclamation.

Murr

Quote from: KnilesKankle on September 13, 2012, 10:30:32 am
What if Slive sees this as his last chance to get the SEC to 16 and goes ahead and invites FSU to force another school such as Maryland or VT?  Sounds crazy but what if he wants/needs 16 that bad that he would go against his new markets proclamation.
That sounds reasonable.  MD is an AAU member delivers DC and adds some new tv households.  But are the $$$projections high enough to risk adding those two teams to the league?...

If not stay at 14.  Besides chatter  between FSU and Big 12 seems to be up lately :P

Murr

I read today, from @MHver3 that ESPN is pushing the Big 12 to expand with two teams from the ACC (approved list includes Lville, Cincy, USF, UConn, Rutgers) but they don't want to reopen the contract or offer the hidden bonus money(to pay buyout fees) if the ACC tries to take FSU.  With all the disfunction going on in the Big 12 in regards to expansion, I don't know if they would want to add FSU and a Big East team let alone two BE teams even with the extra money.  Texas might still want to stay at 10 and try and avoid the CCG.

ON the SEC side of things, expansion looks dead.  I guess it comes down to how much a pain in the *** scheduling will be with 14 teams?  CBS balked at renegoatioing the TV deal due to lack of programming upgrading in Tier 1.  But I wonder if FSU was allowed to join (to applease CBS), could we add a team from ESPN's list (like the mod Bearlydoug mentioned in his gridirionhistory.com post) that would provide the same number or more TV viewing households that VT and a N.C. school would bring in.  If that is a doable case, then FSU would please CBS and Rutgers would please ESPN and SEC Network.

Just my $0.02

medloh

Here's another fun scenario that will never happen:  Vandy defects to ACC.  Vandy decides it will never do anything worthwhile in the SEC.  Seems like its a more natural fit there anyway with all the private schools and strong academics.  Maybe they could actually compete for a football conference title once in a while there.  They're already buddies with WF.

Then Texas does something to really piss off OU.  The SEC grabs OU and a couple of the ACC schools to get to 16.  Each of the ACC schools would have to be in a state not already in SEC, be interested in football, and not too upset about leaving the academics of the ACC.  Most likely are probably VTech and NCState.

New Divisions:

West:  OU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK
East: Fla, Auburn, Ala, Ga, SC, Tenn, VTech, NCState

This would do a nice job of maximzing the amount the SEC could get for the upcoming SEC Network, adding the states of OK, NC, and VA, and a national brand like OU.  VT and NCState would have to find a way politcially to leave their in state partners.  Snowballs chance in Hell, but this would be close to my ideal conference.

Backup plan if no ACC schools can wiggle free--grab Kansas and Texas instead.  Then it would looks like this:

West:  OU, Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Kansas, Ole Miss
East: Fla, Auburn, Ala, Ga, SC, Tenn, UK, Miss St

Not saying this will ever happen, but a couple of my dream scenarios.
"We wish the B12 the best, and all that"

Tim Harris

Quote from: medloh on September 14, 2012, 02:51:29 am
Here's another fun scenario that will never happen:  Vandy defects to ACC.  Vandy decides it will never do anything worthwhile in the SEC.  Seems like its a more natural fit there anyway with all the private schools and strong academics.  Maybe they could actually compete for a football conference title once in a while there.  They're already buddies with WF.

Then Texas does something to really piss off OU.  The SEC grabs OU and a couple of the ACC schools to get to 16.  Each of the ACC schools would have to be in a state not already in SEC, be interested in football, and not too upset about leaving the academics of the ACC.  Most likely are probably VTech and NCState.

New Divisions:

West:  OU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St, UK
East: Fla, Auburn, Ala, Ga, SC, Tenn, VTech, NCState

This would do a nice job of maximzing the amount the SEC could get for the upcoming SEC Network, adding the states of OK, NC, and VA, and a national brand like OU.  VT and NCState would have to find a way politcially to leave their in state partners.  Snowballs chance in Hell, but this would be close to my ideal conference.

Backup plan if no ACC schools can wiggle free--grab Kansas and Texas instead.  Then it would looks like this:

West:  OU, Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou, Kansas, Ole Miss
East: Fla, Auburn, Ala, Ga, SC, Tenn, UK, Miss St

Not saying this will ever happen, but a couple of my dream scenarios.

I would be ok with that.  Especially the first scenario.  I know most don't like them but I would love to have OU in the conference.  It would give another team close enough that you could easily travel to a game there and add another nationally known team to the conference.

Capitalist Pig

Thank God!

I have no idea why some want to continue to dilute our product by continuing to add teams. Why stop at 14 or 16?  Hell, let's make it 100!  150! Just think of all the TV dollars the league would bring in.

The whole idea of these Super-Mega conferences is retarded and I guarantee that in 10-20 years everyone will realize what a mistake it was and you'll see conferences splitting up.
seXual cHOGlate is my bitch.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Capitalist Pig on September 14, 2012, 07:37:39 am
Thank God!

I have no idea why some want to continue to dilute our product by continuing to add teams. Why stop at 14 or 16?  Hell, let's make it 100!  150! Just think of all the TV dollars the league would bring in.

The whole idea of these Super-Mega conferences is retarded and I guarantee that in 10-20 years everyone will realize what a mistake it was and you'll see conferences splitting up.

That is just crazy talk.  We would never go to 100.  As soon as we get 1 team in each state we will stop expanding.

Murr

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 14, 2012, 07:39:29 am
That is just crazy talk.  We would never go to 100.  As soon as we get 1 team in each state we will stop expanding.

Lol +1

Murr

There haven't been many or any updates so I thought I would put together a small collection of items that caught my attention since Notre Dame joined the ACC back in mid September.

Internet board rumor had Rutger's AD Tim Pernetti supposedly telling some big RU boosters in Fayetteville that the Scarlet Knights will be in a great conference in the near future; roughly a year.  No conference names were supposedly spoken.

Louisville chatter has them talking to both the ACC and Big 12.  Supposedly Louisville's talks with the Big 12 cooled off and heated up with the ACC prompting a timely article from Texas Tech Chancellor Kent Hance:
http://lubbockonline.com/sports-red-raiders/2012-09-29/hance-shares-tech-moves-behind-scenes-during-big-12-storm

UConn was making efforts to push itself into the ACC is some capacity.  The ACC has always frowned upon Men's BB coach John Calhoun's recruiting tactics, which have prevented the Huskies from getting an ACC invite.  Strangely on the day that Notre Dame officially joins the ACC as an assiociate member, UConn begins preparing for Calhoun's retirement:
http://articles.boston.com/2012-09-12/sports/33785417_1_jim-calhoun-assistant-coach-kevin-ollie-huskies

Missouri's AD Mike Alden in the Chicago Tribune thinks alignments will shake out within the next two years:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-more-conference-realignment-consternation-to-come-20121008,0,6682955.story
Quote"I just think there are going to continue to be schools that are going to attempt to align themselves with what they perceive to be 'like' schools, looking for increased revenue distribution with continued escalation of media contracts," Alden said. "Is that going to happen tomorrow? No, I don't think tomorrow. But I would think in the next couple years – and I don't mean three to five years. I'm talking about the next two years, were going to see even more shifts in those areas.
"There are really 60 to 70 schools in the country that their budgets are going to be at a certain level or above, in Division 1. Those schools are trying to see how they can align themselves. You've seen it happen in the ACC, you've seen it happen in the SEC, you've seen continued question marks around the Big East. But (schools) want to make sure they're going to be part of those discussions of who are those 60 to 70 that are going to command the majority of the revenue rights in the country in college athletics."

To a lesser extent, Wisconsin AD Berry Alvarez's comments:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/mobile_has_familiar_ring_for_c.html
QuoteIf he had his way, there's another change that Alvarez would make in college football.
"I'd like to see a super league," he said. "I'd like to see a league -- Southeast Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 -- and have your own rules. Have rules that you know what the hell they are and that you could actually follow them, and let them have it. We've got a lot of rules and there're a lot of haves and have-nots, and you're making rules to make the have-nots happy.
"Let the guys who can afford it go do -- the guys that are filling those big stadiums; the leagues that have the big TV contracts. Let them go. That's nothing against those other guys. But you can't let that group hold the entire group back.
"I'd like to see that. Will that ever happen? I don't know. I doubt it, but maybe."

Speaking of the B1G, rumors of their expansion wish list just came out from a famous part of the Appalachians.  MHver3 has been releasing rumors, mostly those stating ESPN wants to break up the Big East to keep NBC out of high level college football.  He had rumors of the ACC looking to add more associate members/non-football members, think Villanova and Georgetown, and looking at L'ville and UConn for full-membership.

But here is are some interesting tweets he had today on what the B1G might be thinking:

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
News has been slow lately but big things are brewing. I'm gonna update my expansion alert level from yellow to orange. Big Ten eyeing 4

BigEast decision on staying with espn or seeking greener pastures could very well start the festivities.

The B10 will make waves. Not a splash. 4 separate states south of the mason Dixon.

Sources saying their is mutual interest among the four schools who have been contacted via back channels.

GT. UNC. UVA. Miami. It's well documented that the U is my 2nd favorite team. Do I think it's a good fit? Not really but WVU is in the B12..

I don't think Miami fits well with the B1G.  I would replace them with Rutgers and that would still get the Big Ten Network plenty of TV subscriptions fees.  But, if the emphasis was to improve recruiting grounds, then adding schools from Georgia and Florida would make more sense.

If that crazy scenario happened, I could see SEC Commissioner Mike Slive grabbing Virginia Tech and wait to see what the best option for #16 would be.  If UNC was off the table, NC State and Duke are the next best options to get into North Carolina.  Both suck at football.  NC State probably has more alumni/fans living in NC while Duke would bring great BB, great academics and an alumni/fan base that in more regional/national.  Maybe CBS would be more willing to increase their payout if the 16th team added more quality football programming, i.e. FSU.  I don't think FSU would make a move to another conference until they know the door to the SEC has been completely closed to them.  Something to consider since 80% of the TV contract is from football.

Regardless, it's fun to speculate.  Kill some time with this fun realignment icon page from the Dallas Morning News:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/graphics/0610/realignment/

rzrbackrob

In the end, looks like 4 Superconferences will rule
SEC, B1G, PAC 16, and some form of everyone else left over

Seems that the ACC is the new Big East.

The SEC is looking to expand TV markets.
The SEC could end up with VT and NC State.

The theory that the B1G is going South for recruiting reasons seems sound.
The B1G will consider academic prestige, so look for them to go After GT, UNC, Virgina, ......?..... (Miami or FSU just to get into Florida's recruiting, but don't rule out Texass or Notre Dame)

Look for Notre Dame to look around after the ACC is decimated.

The PAC 12 expansion will be interesting because like B1G, they are going to be interested in academic prestige.
They have limited options for expansion, but short of getting Texass and Notre Dame, they will be looking like the SEC to expand market and to get into the state of Texas to expand recruiting.
Possibilities that make some geographical sense:
Texass
Oklahoma
BYU
Baylor
TCU
Houston
Texas Tech
Rice
SMU
New Mexico
Nevada
Boise St.
Kansas

Whatever is left after the big 3 fill their 16 teams could combine to form the 4th Super conference.
The advantage of this conference will be the ability of teams like Texass, Notre Dame, BYU to have autonomy and at the same time have built in teams for scheduling purposes. Look for this league try to pry teams like USC west, Michigan, Ohio St, Florida and Alabama by enticing them with independent TV deals similar to Texass (ESPN) and Notre Dame (NBC). ESPN would be working behind the scenes to keep college football divided and Conference networks @ bay.

Realignment is all about consolidating money and maximizing profits.
The pending playoff and the money available will be a major factor as the haves will try to keep the have nots out of this pot of gold without bringing Congress into the mix.

Good is the enemy of great

Murr

Nice post rzrbackrob.

One idea for the PAC was to get Notre Dame and three regional friends, like Pitt, Syracuse and....

I'm not too thrilled with NC State.  I have heard Duke is putting money into their stadium and facilities trying to be the Stanford of the East.

And some more nuggets from MHver3 today:
QuoteMHver3 ‏@MHver3
BigTen would ideally love to get The Gators as their anchor in FL. That's not happening so you take the next best team that fits. UM

There is also apparently a 2nd tier of schools the Big10 has expressed interest to. Rutgers. VT. Duke. Mizzou. MD. And yes, Pitt.

elvis26

;D i believe the sec will get vt and no-car within the next year!!!!! i would love to have these 2 great schools join the sec!!!!!!!! it is going to be very interesting the next 2 years on conference alignments!!

Murr

Found this conversation from one of the Rutgers rival board posters who as been beating the RU to B1G drum for a while.
I believe he also said their AD was telling boosters in Fayetteville that RU will be taken care of soon in terms of realignment.

Anyway, the conversation can be found in the middle of this thread:
http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=159084281&mid=159084281&sid=988&style=2

RUnumber1:
RUTGERS to the B1G is going to happen.

It is only a matter of time and the clock is ticking.

It will be sooner rather than later.

After this year, it might happen really soon.

Thank God, all of the stars have finally aligned for Rutgers.

This is going to be GREAT!!!

rutersguy1:
You were pretty adamant about RU heading to the B10 some time ago.
You cooled off some and now you're hot again.  What's changed?
And who do you think our partner will be entering into the B10.

RUnumber1:
Guy,

I only cooled off because Nebraska fell into the B1G's lap and
they took them instead of us.

According to the people that I have been speaking with at the B1G,
most of them very well placed, i.e., high level officials within
the B1G Conference and B1G member schools, "Rutgers is a lock
for membership."

Everything that is being done is being done with B1G membership in
mind; Medical School, Improvements to the RAC, Hockey Team, choice
of New President for Rutgers, etc.

Add to that now that ND went crazy and joined the ACC or I should
say that the ACC went crazy, state penn is persona non grata, we
are having a GREAT football season, and our TV numbers have been
and still are through the roof as far as New York and now
Philadelphia is concerned.

The other pressure that is at work here is the TV contract negotiations,
both the Big East and the B1G.

The B1G would like to announce Rutgers to the B1G well before their
contract is up for renewal, it will take time to incorporate us into
the B1G and the Big East will need to know if we are committed to the
Big East through the next TV contract term.

As far as who would be entering the B1G with us, that is less clear.
I have heard all of these names being discussed: Maryland (most talked
about), George Tech (although not likely), Kansas State (But they would
not leave Kansas or the Big 12), Missouri (Some pulling for them and
they would leave the SEC for the B1G, but this seems unlikely too),
definitely not Uconn (Does not fit the B1G model and is not an AAU member).

If I had to guess, I would say Maryland, only because they have been
mentioned the most, have few obstacles and apparently would be willing
to finally leave the ACC after this last round of expansion where the
ACC admitted ND as a "Partial Member."  This is what killed the
Big East.  All member schools must play all sports.

Dumb ole famrboy

Maryland - now that is interesting. You know the Naval Academy is located in Maryland. Also the US Navy has installation located in 25 states and Washington DC. Many of these installations are located in some fairly large media markets. Just a little tweak of the BTN definition of in-market/out-of market subscribers could produce a significant revenue stream.

Murr

If the B1G where to grab just two teams, Rutgers could reenforce NYC/NJ/Philly markets and Maryland gives them DC/MD/Baltimore/Northern Virginia for TV boxes.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Murr on October 24, 2012, 07:15:26 am
If the B1G where to grab just two teams, Rutgers could reenforce NYC/NJ/Philly markets and Maryland gives them DC/MD/Baltimore/Northern Virginia for TV boxes.

If Maryland were to leave the ACC for the Big 10 then it would get very interesting in the SEC and Big12 offices...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sportswriter41

Quote from: elvis26 on October 13, 2012, 07:28:27 pm
;D i believe the sec will get vt and no-car within the next year!!!!! i would love to have these 2 great schools join the sec!!!!!!!! it is going to be very interesting the next 2 years on conference alignments!!

That would be HUGE !!!! It would also go a long way to help us out in basketball !!!!

Murr

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8620591/commissioners-discuss-access-bowl-limit-revenue-sharing-sources-say

Brett McMurphy reviews where the new post season format stands prior to today's NCAA Football Playoffs  meeting in Denver.

Here are some highlights from the above article:
1.   The five conferences (SEC, B1G, Big12, PAC-12 and ACC) will receive the biggest slices of revenue
2.   Revenue distribution format includes BCS rankings of 2014 conference members since 1998.
3.   Since Big East and MWC lost members, their points and an AQ spot for the Big East, commissioners might reserve a spot for the highest ranked Group of Five (Big East, CUSA, MWC, Sun Belt, MAC) member.
4.   7 of 12 automatic BCS births accounted for.  The others will be At-Larges with selection process still be worked on.  There will not be a 7th BCS bowl.
5.   Academics will be part of the rankings.  Punishment for not reaching certain bench marks will include lower rankings, sanctions and being prohibited from NCAA Championships.

Hopefully we'll start hearing something leaking out of Denver.  As far as realignment rumors, the only chatter I've seen lately has been Louisville pushing hard for a Big 12 spot and that all the ACC schools might be off the board for Big 12 expansion.

With the SEC releasing another "transitional" football schedule for the 2013 season, one has to wonder if Slive will be looking to add two more members to correct the football scheduling problems or ask the NCAA to make rule changes to allow the SEC to correct its issues.

Murr

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/12/college-football-playoff-six-bowls/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Stewart Mandel adds a couple of important notes from the meeting:

Monday, however, the commissioners and presidents who oversee the sport agreed to include a guaranteed spot in one of the six premier bowls for the highest-ranked champion (as determined by the new selection committee) from the so-called "Group of Five:" the Big East, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt.

Independents like BYU are not considered part of the Group of Five and thus are not guaranteed access. Notre Dame has a shared deal with the Big Ten and SEC for the spot opposite the ACC in the Orange Bowl.

No fans should be happier today than those in Cincinnati, Louisville, Boise and the rest of the Big East. The conference might not be one of the cool kids any longer, but it still has an invite to the party.

BYU or other independents would have to join a conference or work out a special deal, like Notre Dame, to gain access and associated payouts under this new system.  So of the remaining 1-A Independents Notre Dame (already has access to Orange Bowl), BYU(might have to look at the Big 12 or Big East), Navy(already scheduled to join Big East) and Army(will have to decide soon).

Tusks

what I hear through the atlanta sports council is that the SEC is looking at; OU, FSU, NCst, VT, or Clempson and the long shot is MD.....I don't think the SEC wants MD but they are on the board for contingency plans. some combination of two (2) schools from the list is what the SEC wants.  FSU is on the table....UF understands the bigger pic for the conference so the petty rival stuff is put in everyones pocket until something close to finalizing a new member is on the table.  If FSU is on the table about to be invited, UF will let it happen but they will get SOMETHING for letting them in.

The SEC and ACC are in this TOGETHER behind the closed doors.  Slive will not do anything to hurt the ACC....but the ACC understands one or two of their members might get swept to the SEC but they will know about it early and it gives them a chance to find replacements.

That's why the SEC is slow to add....they are giving the ACC a chance to organize itself and strengthen itself so if they lose two schools to the SEC they have their contingency plans.

Obviously the ACC would like to see the SEC take OU and then just one member....less work for the ACC and minimal loss.  But make no mistake they understand the SEC may take two...but they will bless the move.

When you think of conference realignment think of the SEC/ACC as brothers....one brother is the big football player and one brother is the big basketball player.  Doesn't mean the brother that playes football doesn't play a little basketball too or that the basketball player doesn't also play some football.

believe it or not but the SEC and ACC are in this together behind closed doors
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit