Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are going to be extremely young next year, picked near the bottom..

Started by HeyHogs, March 19, 2018, 02:25:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeyHogs

I think its time to buckle up and adjust our expectations for the fall.  Yes we will have some talent and with MA coaching we will at least have a winning record. (He will have to schedule for it of course.) 

Between Football and Basketball next year we are going to have stay humble.  It will be a humbling year.

Just want everyone to be ready for the "We are young." excuse.  :puke:

Atlhogfan1

You don't know what the final roster or schedule will be for the basketball program yet. 

Football is returning a number of players including those injured last season who should have big impacts this season.  Plus skill players who were young last season and learning to play college football.  Morris isn't starting from complete bottom. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 03:47:46 pm
You don't know what the final roster or schedule will be for the basketball program yet. 

Football is returning a number of players including those injured last season who should have big impacts this season.  Plus skill players who were young last season and learning to play college football.  Morris isn't starting from complete bottom. 

Football I expect 6-6.

Basketball, as you said we don't have the final schedule, but you know there will be 9 sec road games that they will be trying to win with a group of FR and a couple upper classmen role players. We know they will be at Rupp, at Vandy and at Tn because those teams are due the return from this year. What we do not know is who will they play twice. Regardless, they will be picked in the bottom half of the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawganatic

Quote from: HeyHogs on March 19, 2018, 02:25:14 pm
Between Football and Basketball next year we are going to have stay humble.  It will be a humbling year.

And this is different from most years....how?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 03:51:37 pm
Football I expect 6-6.

Basketball, as you said we don't have the final schedule, but you know there will be 9 sec road games that they will be trying to win with a group of FR and a couple upper classmen role players. We know they will be at Rupp, at Vandy and at Tn because those teams are due the return from this year. What we do not know is who will they play twice. Regardless, they will be picked in the bottom half of the SEC.

I think we can get to 7.

College basketball players are so ridiculously transient now I'm going to hold off till we know who is going to be here including any possible grad transfers in. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

golfinpig

Anderson still being the coach is enough to keep me from being the least bit optimistic.

hobhog

Can't wait. Look how well we did with a bunch of seniors and a NBA center....

widespreadsooie

Quote from: golfinpig on March 19, 2018, 07:10:31 pm
Anderson still being the coach is enough to keep me from being the least bit optimistic.

I'm assuming you haven't been optimistic for about 20 years then.

LR_Matt

Kentucky and Duke are young every year.... think they lower expectations?

GoHogs1091

The SEC in basketball next season is basically just going to be the following in regards to the top teams.

Kentucky
Mississippi State
Tennessee

texas tush hog

This bunch will be better than you think, with or without Gafford, but i'm inclined to believe he will be back.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on March 19, 2018, 03:52:48 pm
And this is different from most years....how?

It's not.  Arkansas sports have been gutted compared to what so many of us knew for years.  I think Frank Broyles getting old and eventually dying is the culprit.  A younger Broyles would have never put up with this level of performance and would have fired coaches until he found guys who could produce.

In 1977 we stomped Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and went 26-2 in basketball.  In 1978 we played in the Fiesta Bowl and finished in the top ten in the final poll to go with a Final Four and win over Notre Dame in the now defunct third place game.  In 1979 we played Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, basketball made it to the Elite Eight before losing to Larry Bird on a miraculous last second shot, and the baseball team made it to the final game of the College World Series.

Now we can't fire coaches because they have "winning seasons". 

rolyat_2008

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2018, 11:05:02 pm
The SEC in basketball next season is basically just going to be the following in regards to the top teams.

Kentucky
Mississippi State
Tennessee
LSU and Vandy both have stellar recruiting classes. Top 50 type impact players coming in not 120-250 like ours.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbilt/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

Florida top 80 - https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits

MAGA45

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2018, 12:00:08 am
It's not.  Arkansas sports have been gutted compared to what so many of us knew for years.  I think Frank Broyles getting old and eventually dying is the culprit.  A younger Broyles would have never put up with this level of performance and would have fired coaches until he found guys who could produce.

In 1977 we stomped Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and went 26-2 in basketball.  In 1978 we played in the Fiesta Bowl and finished in the top ten in the final poll to go with a Final Four and win over Notre Dame in the now defunct third place game.  In 1979 we played Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, basketball made it to the Elite Eight before losing to Larry Bird on a miraculous last second shot, and the baseball team made it to the final game of the College World Series.

Nailed it.
Fake News

CPO Hog

Quote from: golfinpig on March 19, 2018, 07:10:31 pm
I tried to think of something to be optimistic about, but you're right. CMA's system will not put this team in position to succeed against fundamentally strong team.

jkstock04

Our fans and media sneer and laugh at programs who fire coaches to try and improve their situation.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 20, 2018, 09:37:19 am
Our fans and media sneer and laugh at programs who fire coaches to try and improve their situation.

The only defense many of them have for keeping Mike is " well, who are we going to get? They might be worse. Who can come in here and be guaranteed to win titles ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 09:45:06 am
The only defense many of them have for keeping Mike is " well, who are we going to get? They might be worse. Who can come in here and be guaranteed to win titles ".
Only legit excuse I've seen is "it could be worse"....and that's true, it probably could be. But I agree with what you say in that if this were an outsider type of coach with no previous ties to the program no chance this would fly. For sure wouldn't fly in Frank Broyles prime.

Personally (and prob fortunately) I'm not really passionate enough about basketball anymore to care much either way.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2018, 11:05:02 pm

Kentucky
Mississippi State
Tennessee

I love your efforts to give us clear and concise lists. It's very aesthetically pleasing and easy to read.

Any new products you've sold lately?

hawgball40

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 20, 2018, 11:00:21 am
I love your efforts to give us clear and concise lists. It's very aesthetically pleasing and easy to read.

Any new products you've sold lately?
needs moar cowbell

Knot2brite

If football and basketball hover around the .500 level for the year then we may be lucky. When this baseball season is over....it may be until next baseball season before we have anything to be optimistic about. But who knows? Maybe it will be a over-achieving year for Arkansas athletics
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hawgball40

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 20, 2018, 11:45:35 am
If football and basketball hover around the .500 level for the year then we may be lucky. When this baseball season is over....it may be until next baseball season before we have anything to be optimistic about. But who knows? Maybe it will be a over-achieving year for Arkansas athletics
relax, most fans picked us to have a losing season this year due to the departures the of dusty and moses. the year prior to that, they doubted us and said we were in for another bad year because there was no way that barford and macon would come in and have an immediate impact. They were wrong then, and they are wrong again now. This team will most likely be near the bubble (either side) at worst, especially if Gafford returns.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 20, 2018, 11:48:51 am
relax, most fans picked us to have a losing season this year due to the departures the of dusty and moses. the year prior to that, they doubted us and said we were in for another bad year because there was no way that barford and macon would come in and have an immediate impact. They were wrong then, and they are wrong again now. This team will most likely be near the bubble (either side) at worst, especially if Gafford returns.

No

dsims2k3

Here is the real truth... JFB had the luxury of being in the SWC back then. It is nothing like the SEC.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

rolyat_2008

Our problem is the teams that finished behind us (LSU, Vandy) have better classes than Arkansas and teams ahead of us have guys returning plus adding to it with slightly better or equal classes.

Arkansas has a solid class in the middle with no one coming back

FineAsSwine

Gafford is coming back and that is the equivalent of adding a 5 star top 10 recruit. He will be a force in the middle and will demand double teams. He is already showing signs of being a decent passer out of double teams and should get a lot better. He will be surrounded by talented young players who are looking to him to lead. They will play through Gafford and our offense will flow better. We will defend the perimeter better with the length and athleticism of our young guards. Instead of trying to outscore people we will rebound better and play better defense. If you think young players are not ready to step in and play good defense in their first year, you must not have seen Hall and Osabuohein this year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HF#1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 12:21:39 pm
Gafford is coming back and that is the equivalent of adding a 5 star top 10 recruit. He will be a force in the middle and will demand double teams. He is already showing signs of being a decent passer out of double teams and should get a lot better. He will be surrounded by talented young players who are looking to him to lead. They will play through Gafford and our offense will flow better. We will defend the perimeter better with the length and athleticism of our young guards. Instead of trying to outscore people we will rebound better and play better defense. If you think young players are not ready to step in and play good defense in their first year, you must not have seen Hall and Osabuohein this year.

He ain't coming back.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pigasaurus

The years you mention made me a razorback.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hogsanity

.  A younger Broyles  found guys who could produce.

This was the key with JFB. He went out and found Eddie Sutton. He went out and found Nolan. He went out and found Gary Blair. He went out and got DVH. He found John McDonald. JFB could spot talent on the football field and in coaches. When he got older and had less day to day contact with the games, he lost that insight.

We need for our AD to have that insight, to be able to look at a young coach, look at his back ground, talk to him about his philosophy, and then decide if that is going to translate into wins here, regardless of the sport.

Hawg414

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 09:45:06 am

yet that was pretty much exactly your argument for keeping both Nutt and Bielema

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 01:14:10 pm
This was the key with JFB. He went out and found Eddie Sutton. He went out and found Nolan. He went out and found Gary Blair. He went out and got DVH. He found John McDonald. JFB could spot talent on the football field and in coaches. When he got older and had less day to day contact with the games, he lost that insight.

We need for our AD to have that insight, to be able to look at a young coach, look at his back ground, talk to him about his philosophy, and then decide if that is going to translate into wins here, regardless of the sport.

We also need an AD who lives and dies with the Razorbacks winning and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.  That was Broyles until he got old and, predictably, lost some of his fire.  We need an AD who realizes that winning comes first and the money will follow, not the other way around.  It was frustrating for fans to feel like they cared more about winning than our AD did for the last decade.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg414 on March 20, 2018, 01:17:18 pm
yet that was pretty much exactly your argument for keeping both Nutt and Bielema

Umm if you bothered to look, I said after the SC game last year that it was obvious that BB was not going to get it done here and it was time to look elsewhere. My argument with him was all those saying it was a bad hire, it was a good hire gone bad, and that happens in sports and life.

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2018, 01:21:35 pm
We also need an AD who lives and dies with the Razorbacks winning and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.  That was Broyles until he got old and, predictably, lost some of his fire.  We need an AD who realizes that winning comes first and the money will follow, not the other way around.  It was frustrating for fans to feel like they cared more about winning than our AD did for the last decade.

When it comes to basketball I am not sure many of our fans care about winning either. If they did there would be no argument about whether it was time for MA to go or not.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 20, 2018, 11:48:51 am

The ONLY chance the Hogs have of being near the bubble next year is if Gafford returns. Without him, making the NIT will be an achievement.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 01:14:10 pm

The younger Frank Broyles had free reign to hire the coaches he wanted. The older Frank Broyles was being constantly undermined and stabbed in the back by John White.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GuvHog on March 20, 2018, 01:49:04 pm
The ONLY chance the Hogs have of being near the bubble next year is if Gafford returns. Without him, making the NIT will be an achievement.

Gafford will be back, IMO. We will make the NCAA tournament next year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

batmanfan

Has Anderson built up enough equity in 7 years to have a down year and still be able to stick around? I don't think so.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

ShadowHawg

I like how you left out the first round exit against a pedestrian Wake Forest team in that run.

Eddie Sutton had at least 3 first round exits to some very average teams.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2018, 01:46:49 pm
Umm if you bothered to look, I said after the SC game last year that it was obvious that BB was not going to get it done here and it was time to look elsewhere. My argument with him was all those saying it was a bad hire, it was a good hire gone bad, and that happens in sports and life.

When it comes to basketball I am not sure many of our fans care about winning either. If they did there would be no argument about whether it was time for MA to go or not.

He found Jack Crowe and Danny Ford.

Nolan got the job by default because Frank found Rollie Massimino and some nerd you have never heard of since who were offered the job ahead of Nolan.

DVH was an assistant under Norm Debrien who was already having success at Nebraska. he was just asked to come back home.

Broyles also passed on jimmie Johnson.

So the man crush about Broyles ability to "spot" untapped talent is more myth than reality.

SemperHawg

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 12:22:53 pm
He ain't coming back.
I knew as soon as I saw him taking 12 foot turnaround fade away jumpers against Butler that he was gone.  Hasn't taken that shot all year, looked like he had already checked out for the draft.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2018, 04:09:08 pm
I like how you left out the first round exit against a pedestrian Wake Forest team in that run.

Eddie Sutton had at least 3 first round exits to some very average teams.

I didn't leave anything out.  I said we were 26-2.  We were 26-1 in the regular season. 

I know your idea is to make Mike Anderson look better by denigrating Sutton, but if that is the point I will take 83-11 overall and 6-3 in the tournament over a three year stretch at Arkansas, with one Final Four and one Elite Eight, compared to whatever you want to list for Anderson.

Your move.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2018, 04:14:07 pm

Nolan got the job by default because Frank found Rollie Massimino and some nerd you have never heard of since who were offered the job ahead of Nolan.

DVH was an assistant under Norm Debrien who was already having success at Nebraska. he was just asked to come back home.

Broyles also passed on jimmie Johnson.

So the man crush about Broyles ability to "spot" untapped talent is more myth than reality.

I must be missing something. Does the post you're responding to have anything to do with Broyles or his hires?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 20, 2018, 04:21:02 pm
I didn't leave anything out.  I said we were 26-2.  We were 26-1 in the regular season. 

I know your idea is to make Mike Anderson look better by denigrating Sutton, but if that is the point I will take 83-11 overall and 6-3 in the tournament over a three year stretch at Arkansas, with one Final Four and one Elite Eight, compared to whatever you want to list for Anderson.

Your move.

You got me. LOL

Eddie still has more first round exits and that 83 came against Rice, SMU, TT, TCU, A&M, Texas, and Baylor for the most part with some Sam Houston State, SW Mo St, Centenary, and whatever directional foes in the region were at the time.

Stats without context mean nothing.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 04:22:16 pm
I must be missing something. Does the post you're responding to have anything to do with Broyles or his hires?

Quoted the wrong post. It was supposed to be the one where Hogsanity claimed Broyles was gifted at choosing coaches. He was not.

Atlhogfan1

When Eddie lost to Wake in 77, there were only 32 teams in the tourney.  Wake had finished 2nd in the ACC.

1980 tournament had expanded to 48.  Lost as a 10 seed to 7 seed K St who had finished 2nd in the Big 8.

1982 lost in our first game but the 2nd round as the tourney had 16 teams play a 1st R game.  We were a 4 seed and K St a 5.

1984 we lost as a 2 seed in the 2nd R to 7th seeded UVa. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 20, 2018, 04:14:07 pm

He also fired them when they didn't meet expectations.

Arkansas' record in football from the time Broyles came to Arkansas until he was 65 years old...a span of 32 seasons...was 259 wins, 96 losses, and 8 ties.  That's a winning percentage of .745.  Before Broyles' arrival the Hogs' all-time record was 274-239-30, a rate of .532.

Your argument is silly.

26.2Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on March 20, 2018, 01:58:05 pm
The younger Frank Broyles had free reign to hire the coaches he wanted. The older Frank Broyles was being constantly undermined and stabbed in the back by John White.

Locutus_of_Boar

JFB getting old 20 years ago was what started it.  What's has kept it this way is the SEC Network which disconnects a school like Arkansas' revenue from it's athletic performance.  Simply doing just enough so that the SEC won't throw them out is all that is required of the people in charge so there is no incentive to even make an effort anymore.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 04:31:30 pm
When Eddie lost to Wake in 77, there were only 32 teams in the tourney.  Wake had finished 2nd in the ACC.

That "pedestrian" Wake Forest squad beat the North Carolina team that lost to Marquette in the NCAA Championship Game twice that year, made it to the Elite Eight, and had the ACC Player of the Year in Rod Griffin.

Mark anderson

Quote from: Hawg414 on March 20, 2018, 01:17:18 pm

Anderson has been significantly more successful that butt and bielema