Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Watching Xavier?

Started by code red, March 18, 2018, 09:22:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

code red

Are their athlete's even close to the Hogs?  I think NO.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: code red on March 18, 2018, 09:22:39 pm
Are their athlete's even close to the Hogs?  I think NO.

They have really good basketball players.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RazorSax

No, they're not.

But they play fundamentally sound basketball. They have good motion on offense, play defense with their feet, and know how to block out. It just goes to show you don't need overly athletic players. You simply need players that play good basketball.

EastexHawg

steveaustin69

Quote from: RazorSax on March 18, 2018, 09:26:56 pm
No, they're not.

But they play fundamentally sound basketball. They have good motion on offense, play defense with their feet, and know how to block out. It just goes to show you don't need overly athletic players. You simply need a coach who teaches these thingsplayers that play good basketball.

FIFY

(notOM)Rebel123

RazorSax

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: code red on March 18, 2018, 09:32:27 pm
Up 12

They may very well lose tonight. But they are a very good team.

GoHogs1091

May not make it to the Final 4.

It wouldn't be surprising if the Final 4 ends up being the following.

Villanova
Kentucky
Clemson
Texas A&M

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sickboy

You guys saying they're well coached and fundamental... they took a time out with 20 seconds to go and played two dumb possessions in a row to lose. I don't know why the hell they fouled and sent FSU to the line. Dumb.

Atlhogfan1

Bad final minute here by X.  Dumb possession with 21 sec.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 10:08:43 pm

Yep.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 10:08:43 pm

Good basketball players

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 18, 2018, 09:25:09 pm
They have really good basketball players.

That's the key to the whole thing.
This is my non-signature signature.

Atlhogfan1

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 18, 2018, 10:34:47 pm
That's the key to the whole thing.

Just lost to a bunch of athletes. Is this game still proof of something.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 10:37:47 pm

We lack meaningful experienced size on our basketball team. Will get worse next year when we lose two starters in the backcourt.

IDGAS what Anderson does at this point. When I see in the news that they have broken through 25 games or win 90% of their conference games, then I'll tune back in regularly. At this point I don't alter my schedule to watch their games.

RazorPiggie

Athletes with good coaching.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 18, 2018, 10:42:58 pm
Athletes with good coaching.

Haven't you heard? Athletes are just athletic.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 18, 2018, 10:42:37 pm
We lack meaningful experienced size on our basketball team. Will get worse next year when we lose two starters in the backcourt.

IDGAS what Anderson does at this point. When I see in the news that they have broken through 25 games or win 90% of their conference games, then I'll tune back in regularly. At this point I don't alter my schedule to watch their games.

I bet Xavier has some openings for new fans about now and very good basketball players. You should carve out more time for them.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 11:41:12 pm
I bet Xavier has some openings for new fans about now and very good basketball players. You should carve out more time for them.

Like a good many Razorback fans, I have a sort of passing interest in Basketball. The last 15 years haven't been kind.

As to the Anderson (and Richardson) models specifically, there are too many time-outs for an uptempo team to endure. The scheme of wearing down your opponent is exponentially harder when there is more non-basketball related dead time than there is actual basketball being played.

I hope Mike figures a way around the technical problem of 8 TV time outs, plus the other team's, plus the one's he has to take himself. Even Nolan said there are many times in his system that you will get down, but you keep pounding and eventually they will break. We don't break but 3-4 teams a year, usually in out of conference. Mike's vision more than likely won't work without UNC/Duke/Kentucky type athletes. At least to replicate the result of Nolan, which I am guessing is the ultimate standard by which we want to be seen. 

Maybe he can build it, maybe he can't. The poundings we've taken in football for the last half-decade and pretty much the last 15 years in Basketball has kinda drained me from my desire to watch mediocrity.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 19, 2018, 01:01:29 am
Like a good many Razorback fans, I have a sort of passing interest in Basketball. The last 15 years haven't been kind.

As to the Anderson (and Richardson) models specifically, there are too many time-outs for an uptempo team to endure. The scheme of wearing down your opponent is exponentially harder when there is more non-basketball related dead time than there is actual basketball being played.

I hope Mike figures a way around the technical problem of 8 TV time outs, plus the other team's, plus the one's he has to take himself. Even Nolan said there are many times in his system that you will get down, but you keep pounding and eventually they will break. We don't break but 3-4 teams a year, usually in out of conference. Mike's vision more than likely won't work without UNC/Duke/Kentucky type athletes.

Maybe he can build it, maybe he can't. The poundings we've taken in football for the last half-decade has kinda drained me from my desire to watch mediocrity.

This is the stuff that just makes me shake my head.

MA's system is not the same as Nolan's. We don't even press that often. Do you listen to guys like Jon Sundvold when they call our games? They all said that we aren't the pressing team we have been in the past. So what are you seeing that former NBA and collegiate players aren't?

You can and do still wear down opponents in today's game. You do it through physicality. It wears you out faster than running does. When other coaches talk about us, they say it's important to match our physicality.

WVU presses way more than we do and they seem to be successful. So where is the proof it doesn't work?

There will always be different ways to win in basketball. If there weren't, the teams with the most future NBA players on it would win nearly all the time and that's not what happens at all.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 19, 2018, 01:09:05 am

MA's system is not the same as Nolan's. We don't even press that often. Do you listen to guys like Jon Sundvold when they call our games? They all said that we aren't the pressing team we have been in the past. So what are you seeing that former NBA and collegiate players aren't?

You can and do still wear down opponents in today's game. You do it through physicality. It wears you out faster than running does. When other coaches talk about us, they say it's important to match our physicality.

WVU presses way more than we do and they seem to be successful. So where is the proof it doesn't work?

There will always be different ways to win in basketball. If there weren't, the teams with the most future NBA players on it would win nearly all the time and that's not what happens at all.

Yep. I know a little about basketball. I realize they aren't the same. But they strive for the same result. Time outs DO help the other team recover.

If you can't understand that then bless your heart.

code red

Yep.....Xavier won 29 games this year.

EastexHawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 18, 2018, 09:30:15 pm
Not until they lose.😉

NCAA tournament wins last two years:

Xavier 3
Arkansas 1

One of these things is not like the other.

EastexHawg

Quote from: sickboy on March 18, 2018, 10:08:24 pm
You guys saying they’re well coached and fundamental... they took a time out with 20 seconds to go and played two dumb possessions in a row to lose. I don’t know why the hell they fouled and sent FSU to the line. Dumb.

Yes, that was dumb.  I doubt the foul was intentional, I think they just lost their poise...along with their muscular control, balance, and brains...in the last minute.  They had one guy on the team who seemed to know what to do and he fouled out.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 19, 2018, 01:09:05 am

They are in the top 10 of TO forced in the country......we are around 100

Swinesong1

#1 seed (and well coached) team loses to a 9th seed with a coach who is universally recognized as a great recriuter and terrible coach and Hogville continúes to praise the losing team.  So typical. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 19, 2018, 09:57:12 am
#1 seed (and well coached) team loses to a coach who is universally recognized as a great recriuter and terrible coach and Hogville continúes to praise the losing team.  So typical.

They're both better than Anderson.

LRHawg

Same with the UMBC Retrievers. Not very athletic but they all have a high basketball IQ and are fundamentally sound. That team was a Big away from being a sweet 16 team.

Swinesong1

azhog10

Quote from: RazorSax on March 18, 2018, 09:26:56 pm
No, they're not.

But they play fundamentally sound basketball. They have good motion on offense, play defense with their feet, and know how to block out. It just goes to show you don't need overly athletic players. You simply need players that play good basketball.
You do realize that Arkansas ranked 24th in turnovers per game while Xavier ranks 147th? Arkansas is more fundamentally sound in terms of not turning the ball over which typically is the #1 sign in how fundamental a team is.

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 19, 2018, 09:57:12 am
#1 seed (and well coached) team loses to a 9th seed with a coach who is universally recognized as a great recriuter and terrible coach and Hogville continúes to praise the losing team.  So typical.
Same folks that claim another team is more fundamentally sound yet they turn the ball over at a higher rate all season long. Apparently turnovers are not a sign of how fundamental and smart you are. Of course if we turned it over a lot, folks would be saying that our high turnover rate is a sign that we are fundamental and smart enough.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 10:22:14 am
Same folks that claim another team is more fundamentally sound yet they turn the ball over at a higher rate all season long. Apparently turnovers are not a sign of how fundamental and smart you are. Of course if we turned it over a lot, folks would be saying that our high turnover rate is a sign that we are fundamental and smart enough.

Have you seen our defensive rotations? Do we know how to close out shooters at even a high school level? How about putting your butt on a man when a shot goes up? I think this is what people are griping about.

azhog10

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 10:29:45 am
Have you seen our defensive rotations? Do we know how to close out shooters at even a high school level? How about putting your butt on a man when a shot goes up? I think this is what people are griping about.
Nothing of what I said had anything to do with defense. I've have said many times that I do not like our half court defense. I think our rotations are slow, our positioning is awful and I hate the mindset of switching everything. Makes it extremely easy to get your big into foul trouble. That said, there are a few coaches out there that believe in it because it does make things easier in terms of scouting. I just think it's a poor way to go about it and if you don't want to scout a team then just play that matchup zone the whole time. That is tons more effective than the switching man to man.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 10:32:15 am
Nothing of what I said had anything to do with defense. I've have said many times that I do not like our half court defense. I think our rotations are slow, our positioning is awful and I hate the mindset of switching everything. Makes it extremely easy to get your big into foul trouble. That said, there are a few coaches out there that believe in it because it does make things easier in terms of scouting. I just think it's a poor way to go about it and if you don't want to scout a team then just play that matchup zone the whole time. That is tons more effective than the switching man to man.

That's all fundamentals, and on Mike....

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 10:20:39 am
You do realize that Arkansas ranked 24th in turnovers per game while Xavier ranks 147th? Arkansas is more fundamentally sound in terms of not turning the ball over which typically is the #1 sign in how fundamental a team is.

No. No it's not. There is not an end all be all stat that shows fundamental soundness. Arkansas is not fundamentally sound; saying as such would lead me to believe you do not actually watch the games.

azhog10

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 10:35:28 am
No. No it's not.
Yes it is. Nearly all coaches look to turnovers as one of the most important statistic to determine how fundamentally sound his team was offensively. The past NCAA Championships, the team that turned the ball over less won. Plain and simple turnovers are typically a good sign of how fundamental you are with the basketball. Of course it doesn't speak to your defense, I'd look at FG% defense for that one.

steveaustin69

Quote from: azhog10 on March 19, 2018, 10:38:10 am
Yes it is. Nearly all coaches look to turnovers as one of the most important statistic to determine how fundamentally sound his team was offensively. The past NCAA Championships, the team that turned the ball over less won. Plain and simple turnovers are typically a good sign of how fundamental you are with the basketball. Of course it doesn't speak to your defense, I'd look at FG% defense for that one.

Almost every gripe on this site is about the defense. You complained about people griping. The gripes about the defense are well founded.

raz1965

Fundamentally sound or not Xavier didn't make it past a decent Florida st.team

Atlhogfan1

Xavier basketball has been a model of consistency since the mid 80s.  Upsets happen.  They certainly didn't handle being a high seed well. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: raz1965 on March 19, 2018, 11:53:53 am
Fundamentally sound or not Xavier didn't make it past a decent Florida st.team

Tough loss but their fans are disappointed because they're used to going to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in recent years. Quite a bit different than what us Hog fans are feeling right now.