Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

December 11, 2017, 02:41:55 pm #150 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:53:26 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 11, 2017, 01:59:33 pm
But isn't he currently unemployed? So why the delay then?

Maybe he had been waiting to hear from his alma Mater. They hired a DC a few days ago though. Then maybe it was all about contract negotiations. Maybe Chad had to work down his list a little bit.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on December 11, 2017, 02:40:24 pm
That aTm defense got very much more physical between 16 and 17... Go watch some film...

They still took plays off. A&M players took on the attitude of their HC and that is what ultimately got him fired.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Ā 

The NewEra

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 02:39:01 pm
We really need to get a Louisiana recruiter or two on staff, as well.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him bring in a high profile Arkansas, Oklahoma or Louisiana High School coach at some time.  Louisiana is our next big recruiting zone though.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 02:42:02 pm
They still took plays off. A&M players took on the attitude of their HC and that is what ultimately got him fired.

That sounds familiar.

geauxhogwilde

I repeat from other posts.....   Chavis WAS at one time a top 10 coordinator.  His best days are long past -- witness his "third-and-Chavis" name used by most LSU and A&M fans.  He has been at best better than average for the last 6-8 years.  He emphatically would NOT be a home-run hire and would not be a good fit with a young, high-energy staff.  We can and should do better.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HF#1

Quote from: geauxhogwilde on December 11, 2017, 02:43:00 pm
I repeat from other posts.....   Chavis WAS at one time a top 10 coordinator.  His best days are long past -- witness his "third-and-Chavis" name used by most LSU and A&M fans.  He has been at best better than average for the last 6-8 years.  He emphatically would NOT be a home-run hire and would not be a good fit with a young, high-energy staff.  We can and should do better.

Alabama fans I know often referred to Smart as "third and kirby".
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 02:42:46 pm
That sounds familiar.

Why you think our games were always so close? lol

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 11, 2017, 02:38:11 pm
He did shut down aTm and Johnny Football when no one else could.

Florida did as well. They both had the personnel to do it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

Quote from: Hog Waller on December 11, 2017, 02:41:30 pm
Makes no sense. If it is Chavis, why hasn't he been announced already?

Bro it's been like 4 days

Inhogswetrust

December 11, 2017, 02:44:59 pm #160 Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:33:44 pm by Inhogswetrust
Ties to recruiting all over the SEC territory and most recently Texas and Louisiana. I think it's a great hire if true.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

Quote from: ricepig on December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm
https://twitter.com/trey1037TheBuzz/status/940301109607923713

There will be a new "Chief" in the state soon.

Eric Church is coming to Arkansas? Would love to see him, still haven't been able to yet.

King Kong

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 02:44:26 pm
Florida did as well. They both had the personnel to do it.

There were also teams with personal as good or better than those 2 teams that didn't come close to stopping Manziel

The combination of talent and coaching played a part

Ā 

HF#1

Some of these same folks would have passed on Gus Malzahn too.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 01:31:28 pm
Also, Chavis is notorious for HATING to recruit.

Saw him hands-on recruit Tyrel Dodson, a LB from middle TN.  Dodson played in all 13 games as a true freshman and moved into a starting role this year.  Chavis may hate recruiting but he worked his butt off to land this particular kid. Hargraves was his Arkansas recruiter.

Dodson was heavily recruited throughout the country with offers ranging from UCLA to Yale. In the SEC, Arkansas, Kentucky,  Missouri, and Vanderbilt all extended offers but in the end, Dodson felt that College Station was the place he belonged.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

greenie

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 01:32:35 pm
Keep in mind that Chavis had a team full of loafs at A&M. Hard to work with guys that only want to play hard every now and then. I think he is long in the tooth but I still think he has some merit.

One of the knocks on Sumlin was that he was pretty loose when it came to team discipline.  When your HC is like that, it makes it more difficult for the DC to be a harda$$.  If it is Chavis, I'll be interested to hear how the team responds to him.  Is he a 4-3, 3-4, or something else?

Wooderson

You can't look at yards per game anymore.  You have to look at yards per play or points per possession these days.  points per game and yards per game are now deceptive statistics.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on December 11, 2017, 02:12:06 pm
If it is Chavis, no doubt he'd be the best DC we've hired in a looooong time...maybe ever in terms of cred and rep, but how much is he worth? I imagine we're gonna pay between 1.5-2 mil per year for a big time DC. Is he worth that?

The only other one I can think of that might have had a bigger name was Don Lindsey.

247Hog

Quote from: OtterHogā„¢ on December 11, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Never thought I'd see the day Arkansas fans would be upset about John Chavis as DC. Have you seen our last half dozen DC's?? This fanbase really is insane.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

GalaHawg

Quote from: Hog Waller on December 11, 2017, 02:41:30 pm
Makes no sense. If it is Chavis, why hasn't he been announced already?

Just guessing... maybe he was waiting to hear from Tennessee and got a negative response - and we are his second choice.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 02:47:22 pm
Some of these same folks would have passed on Gus Malzahn too.

I definitely would've.  He's nothing special.

thebignasty

Chavis will try and get after the qb. We need that bad.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 02:51:56 pm
Chavis will try and get after the qb. We need that bad.

That's true.  We need an aggressive DC.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ā 

HF#1

010HogFan

At least with Third and Chavis, our defense would actually make it to third down. That's a step up from what we are used to

PorkRinds

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 11, 2017, 02:55:26 pm
At least with Third and Chavis, our defense would actually make it to third down. That's a step up from what we are used to

3rd down was our kryptonite under CBB. I'd love to see that get fixed.

thebignasty

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 02:52:14 pm
That's true.  We need an aggressive DC.

Totally agree that the defensive staff needs to be bloodhounds for him.  He improved A&M's defense, but if he's the hire he's never worked with the the kind of roster we currently have.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on December 11, 2017, 02:58:02 pm
Totally agree that the defensive staff needs to be bloodhounds for him.  He improved A&M's defense, but if he's the hire he's never worked with the the kind of roster we currently have.

Right.  We need some proven stud recruiters to go with him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: King Kong on December 11, 2017, 02:46:53 pm
There were also teams with personal as good or better than those 2 teams that didn't come close to stopping Manziel

The combination of talent and coaching played a part

Different types of personnel.  Saban was still recruiting LBs and safeties who weren't as athletic and versatile as LSU and Florida. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HamGrowsOnTrees

You guys here worry too much about "HomeRun" hires. Each of CBBs assistants were heralded and ballywhoed here.

Im very skeptical of the CCM hire but even im willing to let the man choose his own staff without me second guessing him.

its CMs show now. He is the HC. If he hires chavis its not going to ruin my day.

Chavis would actually be the biggest names coord. we have ever had. I can live with that.

oldfart

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

AHiD

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 11, 2017, 02:31:09 pm
12th in sacks in the country
7th in fumbles recovered
gave up 25 points per game.

Chavis might be able to pull this off at arkansas. But dont expect a shutdown lockdown defense on a spread hurry up team ever. Because it simply has never happened. Even on the pro level.

*cough*Clemson*cough*
My name...is Jerruh

Wildhog

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 11, 2017, 03:00:18 pm
You guys here worry too much about "HomeRun" hires. Each of CBBs assistants were heralded and ballywhoed here.

In what universe were Rory Segrest, Kurt Anderson, Vernon Hargreaves, Joel Thomas, Jemal Singleton, John Scott or Chad Walker heralded and "ballywhoed?"
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogPsych

If it was Chavis, why wait to announce?

PorkRinds

hogcards

If this is true, this is not good.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

SDZ_Hog

If its Chavis I'll hold judgment until when know who he hires for assistance.  They do the major leg work in recruiting.   

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 03:03:19 pm
In what universe were Rory Segrest, Kurt Anderson, Vernon Hargreaves, Joel Thomas, Jemal Singleton, John Scott or Chad Walker heralded and "ballywhoed?"

More like hollow and thoroughly booed......

SPAL

Quote from: hogcards on December 11, 2017, 03:09:41 pm
If this is true, this is not good.

Correct. It's great. What universe am I in where chavis isn't a good hire?

IronHog

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 11, 2017, 02:31:09 pm
12th in sacks in the country
7th in fumbles recovered
gave up 25 points per game.

Chavis might be able to pull this off at arkansas. But dont expect a shutdown lockdown defense on a spread hurry up team ever. Because it simply has never happened. Even on the pro level.

Want me to post some vids of BP defense putting it to the Gus Bus?

IronHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 11, 2017, 03:13:54 pm
Correct. It's great. What universe am I in where chavis isn't a good hire?

The real world

RME

Quote from: HogPsych on December 11, 2017, 03:03:43 pm
If it was Chavis, why wait to announce?

Let's see how many times we can get the exact same question in one thread.

ur

Does Chavis have assistants that he will bring with him? Did Jimbo keep any of them at aggieville? Does J
Scott have a chance?

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:14:39 pm

Want me to post some vids of BP defense putting it to the Gus Bus?

Yes, Id love to see what a run heavy pro style offense did to Auburn. Not sure how that compares to a hurry up spread but hell this is getting fun.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 03:03:19 pm

Exactly.  They were just "Whoed"  As in "Whoed the F are these guys and why are they coaching in the SEC?"
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

supersaint

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 02:42:02 pm

Agreed that they didn't play hard all the time. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

247Hog

Great. Sign me up! That's waaaaay higher than what we've seen in 15 years.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogsanity

so, for all those saying no to Chavis, and assuming Venables is not coming, just who do you want as DC?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE