Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the "Grey Beards" of Hogville . . .

Started by TeufelHog, October 16, 2017, 07:10:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TeufelHog

. . . WRT Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, and Barry Switzer,

Why haven't they been more active to step-in "as a team" and turn this program around.  It's their Alma mater.  Could see Jerry Jones as an AD and either one of the other 2 as head coaches.  I believe it will take big name, previous professional football coaches to come in here and turn our recruiting completely around.  As in Alabama level recruiting results.  Former professional coaches at the HC, OC, and DC positions to turn the tide.  Young men would get in line to be coached by them, and the protégés they bring in, if for nothing else than having a better shot/path to the NFL.

Here's my logic . . . if Arkansas hired Saban and his staff away from Alabama they would duplicate the results here because the recruits would follow to be under their tutelage.  They see it as their best shot to the league.  "Bringing the league to Arkansas" would change the paradigm for future recruits and level the playing field WRT Saban and his staff.  Is there a reason why those three haven't intervened in a more significant manner?

ShadowHawg

Frank Broyles pissed Jimmie off. Barry didn't have enough integrity.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 16, 2017, 07:13:39 pm
Frank Broyles pissed Jimmie off. Barry didn't have enough integrity.
and jerry is kinda doing his own thing if you haven't noticed.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

JaketheSnake

The only name today's recruits know is Jerry Jones.  And they have no idea he played st Arkansas.

swineology

Hogtimes

Switzer is 80 years old.   Jones and Johnson are 75

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 16, 2017, 07:47:45 pm

Yeah, they're old, but they could bring in younguns like Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield as offensive coordinator and special teams coordinator to help em out.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

grayhawg

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 16, 2017, 07:47:45 pm
Watch it, I'm 75........... Yeah that's old to start a new job

RebelliousHog

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 16, 2017, 07:10:14 pm

Why haven't they been more active to step-in "as a team" and turn this program around.  It's their Alma mater.  Could see Jerry Jones as an AD and either one of the other 2 as head coaches.  I believe it will take big name, previous professional football coaches to come in here and turn our recruiting completely around.  As in Alabama level recruiting results.  Former professional coaches at the HC, OC, and DC positions to turn the tide.  Young men would get in line to be coached by them, and the protégés they bring in, if for nothing else than having a better shot/path to the NFL.

Here's my logic . . . if Arkansas hired Saban and his staff away from Alabama they would duplicate the results here because the recruits would follow to be under their tutelage.  They see it as their best shot to the league.  "Bringing the league to Arkansas" would change the paradigm for future recruits and level the playing field WRT Saban and his staff.  Is there a reason why those three haven't intervened in a more significant manner?

Jerry has a NFL team to run, Jimmy wouldn't piss on us if our guts were on fire, Barry is too old.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Sivad

Here's my logic . . . if Arkansas hired Saban and his staff away from Alabama they would duplicate the results here because the recruits would follow to be under their tutelage.

Hope your heat shield holds up upon reentry.

KennyForAD

"I was born and raised in Texas, but my home is Miami.  I played for a NC team at Arkansas, but my school is Miami." - Jimmy Johnson.  Jimmy has HATED us ever since he was told he was going to be hired, then Frank hired Lou Holtz instead.

Barry Switzer is OU.  Barry has some love for us, but he really just cares about Barry, and OU.

Jerry Jones doesn't give a rat's ass about Arkansas.  Jerry cares about making money, chasing tail, and being Jerry Jones... in that order.

AirWarren

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 17, 2017, 02:04:07 am
"I was born and raised in Texas, but my home is Miami.  I played for a NC team at Arkansas, but my school is Miami." - Jimmy Johnson.  Jimmy has HATED us ever since he was told he was going to be hired, then Frank hired Lou Holtz instead.

Barry Switzer is OU.  Barry has some love for us, but he really just cares about Barry, and OU.

Jerry Jones doesn't give a rat's ass about Arkansas.  Jerry cares about making money, chasing tail, and being Jerry Jones... in that order.

Spot on.

These guys are not Razorbacks anymore. Maybe Jerry.

Inhogswetrust

The problem is there is NO logic in your post.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoghearted

Did Jimmy attend the ceremony honoring JFB a few years back?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

BigSexyHog

Jimmy has a little more love for Arkansas then you guys think.  Not saying it's over the top blind loyalty but he he still loves the hogs.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

ShadowHawg

Jimmie was spurned for Hatfield. Stupidest move Broyles ever made.

Grunt

I think all those old guys have gone fishing? How about Pat Jones? He loves the Hogs.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Pigsknuckles

It's tough to cart around those Super Bowl rings.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

DeltaBoy

It would be nice but I don't think they really care.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jim Harris

Jerry Jones has given WAY WAY too much money to Arkansas to say he doesn't give a **** about Arkansas. He does. Of course, the Cowboys come first. ATT Stadium comes second. Family third. Then maybe Hogs and duck hunting.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Oklahawg

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 17, 2017, 02:50:10 pm
Jerry Jones has given WAY WAY too much money to Arkansas to say he doesn't give a **** about Arkansas. He does. Of course, the Cowboys come first. ATT Stadium comes second. Family third. Then maybe Hogs and duck hunting.

And chasing tail. Can't forget chasing tail.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Jim Harris

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 17, 2017, 09:24:53 am

It's only the stupidest move Broyles made if you don't imagine Jimmy still leaving for the Miami job in after spring practice in Fayetteville and leaving Broyles holding the bag. Yeah, I know him well enough to know he'd have probably done that.
Or, as was Frank's biggest fear, having had to cover for him during some recruiting shenanigans around Dallas in 1975, if JJ had gotten Arkansas investigated like he did with Oklahoma State. He was long gone by the time the NCAA snooped around Stillwater, but it was his doings that got it going. They were riding high too until going 0-10-1 in 1990.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Oklahawg

If you are looking for a coach, go get Dave Van Horn to leave the dugout and be AD. Or Chris Bucknam. They at least know the nuts and bolts of building and maintaining top level programs. They know how to hire good assistants. They understand how to go about soliciting requests for facilities. They would satisfy the "gotta know the Arkansas Razorback culture" crowd.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 17, 2017, 03:01:41 pm
If you are looking for a coach, go get Dave Van Horn to leave the dugout and be AD. Or Chris Bucknam. They at least know the nuts and bolts of building and maintaining top level programs. They know how to hire good assistants. They understand how to go about soliciting requests for facilities. They would satisfy the "gotta know the Arkansas Razorback culture" crowd.

I believe they would do way better than the Program Killer Jeffery Integrity Long the Carpetbagger.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 17, 2017, 09:24:53 am

At the time no. Hindsight is always perfect.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig Worshipper

Tusks

Jimmy Johnson was passed over TWICE.  He was DC under JFB and recruited that 77 defense Monte got to run.  He was inline to get the job but when JFB retired, JFB told JJ that he didn't have a good enough season in 76 to hire an assistant as HC and had to go with a coach with HC experience.

Then he passed over him him again and hired Hatfield.

So the UA passed on JJ twice, not once.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PigPusher

GRAYBEARD??? Sonny the last time someone called me that I caned him half way up a Walmart aisle.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: tusked on October 17, 2017, 05:29:11 pm
Jimmy Johnson was passed over TWICE.  He was DC under JFB and recruited that 77 defense Monte got to run.  He was inline to get the job but when JFB retired, JFB told JJ that he didn't have a good enough season in 76 to hire an assistant as HC and had to go with a coach with HC experience.

Then he passed over him him again and hired Hatfield.

So the UA passed on JJ twice, not once.

And, as much as I respect Jimmy's championships, and would have loved to see his teams at Arkansas - it was the correct choice both times.

As Jim H. said above - and has been posted here literally hundreds of times over the years - Jimmy WOULD have gotten us in big time NCAA trouble had he been the coach here.  That's the only reason he wasn't named the second time (when Hatfield was chosen), and he has no one but himself to blame for it.

factchecker

Jerry Jones doesn't give a rat's ass about Arkansas.

Well heck..... it looks like Jerry cares about Catholic High as well:

QuoteCowboys' Jerry Jones part of $10 million effort to help Little Rock school.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboysheadlines/2013/10/10/cowboys-jerry-jones-part-of-10-million-effort-to-help-little-rock-school

That's a ton of money for not giving a "rat's ass" about Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TebowHater

DVH yes. Dude is a winner and loves football.

No disrespect to Bucknam, but he inherited the greatest dynasty in all of college athletics and has only won like 1 NC out ~30 attempts (Indoor/outdoor/XC x 10 years), when we had been averaging about 1.33 NC's PER YEAR for the previous THIRTY years. I would take Lance Harter before Buck, who has won just as many, but built the program to national prominence himself (vs. inheriting).

texas tush hog

Take my word for it, Jerry cares about the hogs way more than you think, and will be a major influence in the next hire. Jeffie better heed.

Sivad

Jerry Jones doesn't give a rat's ass about Arkansas.
The evidence is quite clear that contrary to the above statement, Jerry Jones not only still loves the Arkansas Razorbacks, but he financially and publicly supports them like no other alumnus or fan.

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

tlmack

Even if Broyles did pass Jimmy over,if you study Mommy's career,he never stayed any place more than 5 years. He always left just before the NCAA came snooping around.

tlmack

Sorry using my phone. Should be Jimmy's career.

greasy_corner

Quote from: AP85 on October 17, 2017, 06:34:06 am
Spot on.

These guys are not Razorbacks anymore. Maybe Jerry.

Jerry is.  Hell he cried when Jeffery unveiled the AR/Ohio State unis a few weeks ago in honor of the Cowboys running back...

Oklahawg

Quote from: TebowHater on October 18, 2017, 06:02:44 pm
DVH yes. Dude is a winner and loves football.

No disrespect to Bucknam, but he inherited the greatest dynasty in all of college athletics and has only won like 1 NC out ~30 attempts (Indoor/outdoor/XC x 10 years), when we had been averaging about 1.33 NC's PER YEAR for the previous THIRTY years. I would take Lance Harter before Buck, who has won just as many, but built the program to national prominence himself (vs. inheriting).

Fair enough, but let's not overlook that while the hardest thing to do is build an elite winner, the second hardest thing to do is sustain an established elite winner. Buckham hasn't done poorly at that.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Hmmmm...!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jim Harris

texas tush hog

Quote from: tlmack on October 18, 2017, 07:36:44 pm
Even if Broyles did pass Jimmy over,if you study Mommy's career,he never stayed any place more than 5 years. He always left just before the NCAA came snooping around.

Not only did he dishonor Tom Landry, he did Don Shula as well. Only cares abut Jimmy. Jerry loves the Hogs.

Hogwild

If you are looking for a coach, go get Dave Van Horn to leave the dugout and be AD.

Been hoping for that since the end of last year.  Hiring a successful baseball coach, has worked at South Carolina and LSU.  Miss St. just did the same thing earlier this year.

tbhogfan

If you had a job paying around $2M/year to do pregame/halftime shows 18 weeks per year, would you give that up for the stress of being an AD for less money?  I sure wouldn't!

Go Hogs!

Athog

No time more important issues like making money!