Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan apathy

Started by Maynard G Krebs, September 24, 2017, 04:31:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Maynard G Krebs

Went to a gathering after the game last night and what I noticed was an atmosphere of apathy towards the program.  To me that is more dangerous than all the ranting and raving going on about CBB and the Hogs performance.

When apathy sets in and grows, the support will dwindle.

DeltaBoy

I am to the point I was with HDN, I am stopping watching the games till a change it made! My Blood pressure can't take this mess!

I get too involved emotionally and this crap affecting my life!  Being a fan suppose to be fun , but the past 16 months been hell!.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 24, 2017, 04:31:05 pm
Went to a gathering after the game last night and what I noticed was an atmosphere of apathy towards the program.  To me that is more dangerous than all the ranting and raving going on about CBB and the Hogs performance.

When apathy sets in and grows, the support will dwindle.

I am noticing this around me as well. I think that the risk Jeff Long is undertaking is comparable to what happened with the men's basketball program, which has not yet recovered.

I hate to say this, but when you are embarrassed by other teams consistently whether it be poor play calling, lopsided scores, too many close losses, 2nd half collapses, getting gashed for ludicrous 80 yard plays, missing 20 yard field goals etc it becomes demoralizing for the fan base.

With the SEC network and increasing coverage, whether we like it or not, we are in the national spotlight every single week. Every team in the SEC is to a certain degree.

Stubbornness regarding style of play and personnel decisions is what will cost Bret his job and refusing to admit the hiring mistake and let Bret go will cost Jeff Long his.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 24, 2017, 04:40:32 pm
I am to the point I was with HDN, I am stopping watching the games till a change it made! My Blood pressure can't take this mess!

I get too involved emotionally and this crap affecting my life!  Being a fan suppose to be fun , but the past 16 months been hell!.

Don't know if anyone has told you this but yes, Delta, you hold onto the reigns too tight. Would probably do you good to stop white knuckling things you have no control over.  You're a grown ass man that is being micromanaged by a bunch of 18-22ish year olds during football season.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hobhog

Last game was a sell out. Just sayin.

But yes, fans need to feel something positive soon or it will get there.

ShadowHawg

I don't get what seems like an all or nothing commitment to the current staff.

Football and basketball are different because it was only 7 years ago that we were probably the 3rd best football team in the sec while we have sucked in basketball for nearly 15 years. There was already a ton of apathy around basketball but it was only 6 years ago we qualified for a BCS bowl two straight seasons. We weren't allowed to go because of the conference limit but excitement was at a 25 year high because of how much winning was going on. Apathy in football would be fresh and hard to take, imo.

longtimeHogfan

It's not that I'm apathetic it's just that I don't care. 

Yeah, I know, it's an old joke.....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 04:55:41 pm
I don't get what seems like an all or nothing commitment to the current staff.

Football and basketball are different because it was only 7 years ago that we were probably the 3rd best football team in the sec while we have sucked in basketball for nearly 15 years. There was already a ton of apathy around basketball but it was only 6 years ago we qualified for a BCS bowl two straight seasons. We weren't allowed to go because of the conference limit but excitement was at a 25 year high because of how much winning was going on. Apathy in football would be fresh and hard to take, imo.

And Bielema in most fan's mind has absolutely no chance of taking this program anywhere close to where we were. Any faith in him is gone. Thus the apathy. If his buy out wasn't so high and fans could have hope of a change soon you wouldn't see it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

When I complain, it's because I am a fan.  apathy can stop that.

vandybuff

I do not think it is apathy.  How can anyone 'not care nor have an opinion' of a nice young men being coached by a very large man wearing a combination sweatshirt / mu mu :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

hobhog

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on September 24, 2017, 04:42:57 pm
I am noticing this around me as well. I think that the risk Jeff Long is undertaking is comparable to what happened with the men's basketball program, which has not yet recovered.

I hate to say this, but when you are embarrassed by other teams consistently whether it be poor play calling, lopsided scores, too many close losses, 2nd half collapses, getting gashed for ludicrous 80 yard plays, missing 20 yard field goals etc it becomes demoralizing for the fan base.

With the SEC network and increasing coverage, whether we like it or not, we are in the national spotlight every single week. Every team in the SEC is to a certain degree.

Stubbornness regarding style of play and personnel decisions is what will cost Bret his job and refusing to admit the hiring mistake and let Bret go will cost Jeff Long his.

Apathy can be cured REALLY fast. It is not terminal.