Started by Pulled(PP)pork, April 24, 2016, 05:25:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 07, 2016, 01:10:00 pm
Another egghead in our midst. Welcome!
Im a beginner.....anxious to get this sealed so I can cook some tri-tip

PP

Boog41

It will take you a few cooks to get comfortable regulating the temp. Very easy though once you get it down. My mistake the first few times was letting the egg get too hot, too fast. You can't cool those suckers down much once they get hot.

Did you go with the new, heavy duty gasket on it?? Or, is that all they come with now. I haven't put one on my egg in quiet a long while now since I went with the heavy duty replacement.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 07, 2016, 03:35:13 pm
It will take you a few cooks to get comfortable regulating the temp. Very easy though once you get it down. My mistake the first few times was letting the egg get too hot, too fast. You can't cool those suckers down much once they get hot.

Did you go with the new, heavy duty gasket on it?? Or, is that all they come with now. I haven't put one on my egg in quiet a long while now since I went with the heavy duty replacement.
I don't know, honestly.  I was wondering, hows the best way to control heat, through the intake?

PP

Boog41

I typically leave my intake wide open. As the charcoal starts to catch and heat up, I start closing the top vent when it gets around 325-350. That is my typical magic range I cook nearly everything at. Once the charcoal is good and going, my XL will stay around 350, with the top vent shut all the way, but turned so that the little holes are open....if that makes sense.

I now have a CookShack smoker, so I don't use my egg for that any more. When I did, I'd have the intake about 1/4 open for smoking in the 225 range.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 07, 2016, 03:48:46 pm
I don't know, honestly.  I was wondering, hows the best way to control heat, through the intake?

PP

Generally speaking, it seems you make big temperature adjustments with the lower vent and fine-tune with the top.

PorkRinds

They're so darn versatile that I don't know how I did without my primo before.  I cook on it 5 days a week in the summer at least.  I'll use it instead of my oven for casseroles just so I don't have to heat the kitchen up during summer time.

Pulled(PP)pork

Buddy of mine just got a bbq guru for Father's Day gift....waiting to see how he likes it

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 08, 2016, 07:28:24 am
Buddy of mine just got a bbq guru for Father's Day gift....waiting to see how he likes it

PP

I was on fire for one when I first got my egg but held off. I'm not the most technical person in the world and dont have a lot of patience for electronics so I waited. I think i'm glad I did. I have used my egg enough I'm confident enough to just set my temps and leave it over night or daytime cooks. I think the big trick is to figure your vent settings, get it set at a certain temp, then leave it alone. If its settled in the temp wont move. The egg will do its thing. I may not keep it within five degrees like the guru but I can keep it within 15 or 20. Seems to work for me. So far I'm glad I saved my 250 bucks. Thats a lot of meat to cook.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 08, 2016, 07:44:31 am
I was on fire for one when I first got my egg but held off. I'm not the most technical person in the world and dont have a lot of patience for electronics so I waited. I think i'm glad I did. I have used my egg enough I'm confident enough to just set my temps and leave it over night or daytime cooks. I think the big trick is to figure your vent settings, get it set at a certain temp, then leave it alone. If its settled in the temp wont move. The egg will do its thing. I may not keep it within five degrees like the guru but I can keep it within 15 or 20. Seems to work for me. So far I'm glad I saved my 250 bucks. Thats a lot of meat to cook.
yeah, he probably wouldn't have bought it for himself....now the Digi-Q, is another story.  When I cook the pork tenderloin the other night (indirect), I kept checking it, much like over an open flame.  So, obviously, I would drop the temps and then fight to get them back to 350.  But that was because of my crappy Char-Broil digital thermometer that never got above 39F

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 08, 2016, 08:03:51 am
yeah, he probably wouldn't have bought it for himself....now the Digi-Q, is another story.  When I cook the pork tenderloin the other night (indirect), I kept checking it, much like over an open flame.  So, obviously, I would drop the temps and then fight to get them back to 350.  But that was because of my crappy Char-Broil digital thermometer that never got above 39F

PP

The trick is that it will always come back to temp if you have it settled in. On a longer cook, I let mine  get to the temp I want and stay there for half hour or an hour. Then once you put on the meat, the temp will drop but if you leave the vents alone it will come bsck to where you set it. Just be patient and leave it alone. Worst thing you can do is start chasing your temp with the vents.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 08, 2016, 08:16:22 am
The trick is that it will always come back to temp if you have it settled in. On a longer cook, I let mine  get to the temp I want and stay there for half hour or an hour. Then once you put on the meat, the temp will drop but if you leave the vents alone it will come bsck to where you set it. Just be patient and leave it alone. Worst thing you can do is start chasing your temp with the vents.
oops

PP

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 08, 2016, 08:16:22 am

^^^^^
This

PharmacistHog

Just threw a couple chickens on the egg. I guess this thread inspired me.

PharmacistHog

Well that wasn't too difficult.

Now some taters and sausage

Boog41

That's a unique twist on cooking taters....let the sausage drip in.... good idea. Thanks

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on June 08, 2016, 04:56:59 pm
That's a unique twist on cooking taters....let the sausage drip in.... good idea. Thanks

Theres' show on called Eat Street and they had a food truck in San Francisco that cooked their potatoes that way but they had all kinds of meat dripping into it.  Bet that would be great.  Need to try it because I'd forgotten about it till now.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 08, 2016, 05:29:23 pm
Theres' show on called Eat Street and they had a food truck in San Francisco that cooked their potatoes that way but they had all kinds of meat dripping into it.  Bet that would be great.  Need to try it because I'd forgotten about it till now.

Brisket or pork butt over a pan of baked beans is killer (figurative and literally).

majestic

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 08, 2016, 03:03:00 pm
Just threw a couple chickens on the egg. I guess this thread inspired me.

3 pm? Man, I should have been a pharmacist!
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on June 08, 2016, 06:05:56 pm
3 pm? Man, I should have been a pharmacist!

I was off today. Planned to sleep late but roofers decided today was the day to start reshingling my roof. I was awaken to boxes of shingles being slammed on my roof.

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 09, 2016, 08:25:41 am
go to website for accessories?

PP

ceramic grill store 

The owner's name is Tom and he's a good guy.  If you decide to order something and not sure what you need or want, just call and ask for Tom and he will ask you what you cook and how much usually and all that and he will only sell you what will be best for you. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 09, 2016, 09:13:03 am
ceramic grill store 

The owner's name is Tom and he's a good guy.  If you decide to order something and not sure what you need or want, just call and ask for Tom and he will ask you what you cook and how much usually and all that and he will only sell you what will be best for you.
thats the one I was looking for, grassy ass

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 09, 2016, 11:02:44 am
thats the one I was looking for, grassy ass

PP

Just don't get mixed up with ceramic grill WORKS.  That guy is an ass and will rip you off.  His name is Franco. 

PharmacistHog

That's the one.  They have really good customer service.  When I order from them I usually get it in 2 days. 

PharmacistHog

Pulled(PP)pork

What are those prongs sticking out of your grate?

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 12, 2016, 08:30:57 pm

PP

I have a PlateSetter woo for castiron grids from ceramic grill store. The PS fits in it and the grid over the top of that so its one complete piece. The prongs are the handles to put in or take out the piece. I also bought an extender and grid that fits right down into the handles of the woo.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 12, 2016, 08:30:57 pm

PP

Did you get a platesetter with your egg?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 12, 2016, 09:32:03 pm
Did you get a platesetter with your egg?
yes, and the standard grate.....figured that prong thingy was an extension or attachment to something.  I need eggcessories!!

and learn how to control temp easier, without technology (at the moment).  I smoke for 3hrs the other day and could not keep the temp below 300....had the intake practically close and the daisy wheel slightly open

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 13, 2016, 08:26:02 am
yes, and the standard grate.....figured that prong thingy was an extension or attachment to something.  I need eggcessories!!

and learn how to control temp easier, without technology (at the moment).  I smoke for 3hrs the other day and could not keep the temp below 300....had the intake practically close and the daisy wheel slightly open

PP

How hot are you letting it get before you close off the vents?  I light my egg with the bottom wide open and the daisy wheel OFF.  I use an electric lighter and let the lump get started then close the egg.  I usually cook slow between 250 and 300 so when the temp hits 250 I close the bottom vent until its just hardly open, maybe 1/8" and put the daisy wheel on and close the swivel and spin the top so that the almond shaped petals are at least half closed.  Then just leave it alone and see what temperature it settles in at.  If I do that mine usually sits at 250 or 260.  If it doesn't, I open the petals a little more.  The major thing is not trying to make small adjustments using top and bottom vents.  Only move one thing at a time so you only have one variable.  My egg usually has a sweet spot of 275 so I just cook there, but when it settles wherever its gonna settle, THEN, I throw in my PS and grid and let it come back to temp without touching the vents.  When it hits the target temp again I put on the food. 

Now, having said that, I'm pretty comfortable with knowing my egg and settings, so now I will set my vents where I know its gonna end up close to my temp and once the lump is lit I throw grid platesetter and all in there and let it all come to temp.  Once it settles I throw on the meat.  Saves me an extra 20 minutes or so. 

Boarcephus

I just picked up 3 dozen oysters from Whole Foods we'll shuck, season and throw on the egg tonight. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 13, 2016, 03:23:43 pm
I just picked up 3 dozen oysters from Whole Foods we'll shuck, season and throw on the egg tonight. 

sweet!  Those are so darn good. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Not very, since I'm freaked out about the first few cooks at or below 350
I'm just a noob, I'll figure it out

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 13, 2016, 05:35:07 pm

PP

If I light mine tonight I'll take some pics of where I set the vents. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 13, 2016, 05:43:19 pm
If I light mine tonight I'll take some pics of where I set the vents.
roger

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 13, 2016, 05:35:07 pm

PP

There's a learning curve for sure when it comes to getting the right temp but you'll have it down pat after a few cooks.  I know you've been warned but be careful if you do any high temp cooks because that sucker will bite you. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 13, 2016, 03:33:44 pm
sweet!  Those are so darn good. 

They have them for 79 cents each and if you can pick them out like I did tonight it's not a bad deal but nothing like the deal you have access to!   We've changed out plans, we'll have them for lunch tomorrow. 

PorkRinds

Best thing I did when I first got the primo was run a load of charcoal with no meat on it. Just played with the settings they suggested and got the hang of how to set it where I need it. I must have lit it and put it out 4-5 times just to get the hang of it before I gave in and out some corn on the cob on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 13, 2016, 09:40:01 pm
I must have lit it and put it out 4-5 times just to get the hang of it before I gave in and out some corn on the cob on it.

Smart move.  Better to learn on something as cheap as corn than drop $50 worth of lobster on it.  ;)

Pulled(PP)pork

Best thing I did when I first got the primo was run a load of charcoal with no meat on it. Just played with the settings they suggested and got the hang of how to set it where I need it. I must have lit it and put it out 4-5 times just to get the hang of it before I gave in and out some corn on the cob on it.
i thought of that a couple of weeks ago

PP

PharmacistHog

I cooked a brisket.  Go big or go home!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 14, 2016, 09:28:24 am
I cooked a brisket.  Go big or go home!
where's my pics you bastage??  or were you referring to your first cook?

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 14, 2016, 10:02:55 am
where's my pics you bastage??  or were you referring to your first cook?

PP

I meant my first cook.  I said screw it and threw a brisket on there.  Wasn't that great, but wasn't that bad.  I didn't have time to cook last night.  Had a rough Monday.  I'll cook something tonight.  I'll get you some pics.  I just didn't have time yesterday and everybody had eaten by the time I got home.  I just pitched my son a little batting practice and ate a sandwich and went to bed. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 14, 2016, 10:06:40 am
I meant my first cook.  I said screw it and threw a brisket on there.  Wasn't that great, but wasn't that bad.  I didn't have time to cook last night.  Had a rough Monday.  I'll cook something tonight.  I'll get you some pics.  I just didn't have time yesterday and everybody had eaten by the time I got home.  I just pitched my son a little batting practice and ate a sandwich and went to bed.
I figured, and was teasing you.  btw, on the ceramicstore.com site, can't really shop easily....not much to look at for ideas or prices.

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 14, 2016, 10:08:26 am
I figured, and was teasing you.  btw, on the ceramicstore.com site, can't really shop easily....not much to look at for ideas or prices.

PP

They re designed the website.  I have a difficult time navigating it, too.  It was really easy.  Let me look at it and see if I can help.  I ordered something the other day and finally figured out what I was doing wrong. 

PharmacistHog

Heres the link to the woo ring I have:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/pswoo-ring-large-big-green-egg

Here the adjustable rig, but if you have a platesetter probably not what you want, its expensive, but its pretty cool.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg

If you are trying to browse the site, from the main page (on a desktop) if you click on Big GReen Egg (top left) it gives you a drop down for Xl egg  Large Egg and Other sizes.  You can pick what you wanna read about from there. 

PharmacistHog

I haven't had much success navigating the site with my phone.  FYI

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 14, 2016, 10:29:42 am
Heres the link to the woo ring I have:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/pswoo-ring-large-big-green-egg

Here the adjustable rig, but if you have a platesetter probably not what you want, its expensive, but its pretty cool.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg

If you are trying to browse the site, from the main page (on a desktop) if you click on Big GReen Egg (top left) it gives you a drop down for Xl egg  Large Egg and Other sizes.  You can pick what you wanna read about from there.
great, thanks!

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

finally, thanks!  but I couldn't find a grate that I like

PP