Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Asparagus Bed's

Started by BR, April 23, 2016, 11:59:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Starting to build an Asparagus Bed. It is going to be 4' x 8', found 2 year old plants at Home Depot...  Any advice? Have a hell of a garden, never grew Asparagus before... 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HawgWild

They need a lot of room because they'll sprawl. I put in 2 yo roots a couple of years ago and still haven't harvested yet. I'll pm you a growing info sheet put together by the UA Coop Ext on them. Good luck.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: HawgWild on April 23, 2016, 12:06:55 pm
They need a lot of room because they'll sprawl. I put in 2 yo roots a couple of years ago and still haven't harvested yet. I'll pm you a growing info sheet put together by the UA Coop Ext on them. Good luck.
I've always heard they are tough to grow.  Good luck.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

BR

Here is what my Bed turned out like... My do one more just like it. It will have 14,  2 year old plants in it when I'm done..

Hog_Swanson

Your onion sets look a lot better than mine ever have in that top picture. 

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on April 23, 2016, 12:06:55 pm
Got it THANK YOU

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BR on April 24, 2016, 10:53:16 am
Here is what my Bed turned out like... My do one more just like it. It will have 14,  2 year old plants in it when I'm done..
In the top picture on the left side, what is that tool?

BR

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on April 26, 2016, 04:11:05 pm
In the top picture on the left side, what is that tool?
It is an old manual Tiller... Tears up about a foot of dirt wide, then puts a row in the center of it....  I use it a lot after garden is tilled for small projects...

HawgWild

I took this picture yesterday. I planted 2 year roots 2 years ago. Not had a harvest yet but it's looking better for next year. I think they're Jersey Giant.

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on April 27, 2016, 08:46:12 am
I took this picture yesterday. I planted 2 year roots 2 years ago. Not had a harvest yet but it's looking better for next year. I think they're Jersey Giant.
Now you just leave them alone till frost??

HawgWild

I won't do anything other than water them until next spring. Over the winter I'll remove the dead stalks. Next spring I should be able to harvest the shoots that grow up.

They suggest planting them in a trench and building up soil around them as they grow. You might want to mound soil around them if you didn't plant them this way. Also, they like rich soil. I top dressed with Lowe's Sta Green Garden & Vegetable soil earlier this spring.

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on April 27, 2016, 05:34:21 pm
I won't do anything other than water them until next spring. Over the winter I'll remove the dead stalks. Next spring I should be able to harvest the shoots that grow up.

They suggest planting them in a trench and building up soil around them as they grow. You might want to mound soil around them if you didn't plant them this way. Also, they like rich soil. I top dressed with Lowe's Sta Green Garden & Vegetable soil earlier this spring.
Lowe's Sta Green Garden & Vegetable soil  is what my entire bed is made of along with peat moss... Tilled up garden soil underneath it...

HawgWild

You oughta be in great shape then!  ;D

Hog_Swanson

Hows that bed looking now BR?

bolo

ya'll google Ruth Stout
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

bolo

Quote from: SRV on May 18, 2020, 07:35:42 pm
That girl's fo real, bo
if I can learn how to send pics from my phone i'll show you my tater patch, it's unreal!
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends