Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kim-che

Started by pigture perfect, April 19, 2016, 10:56:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I am that unusual one who loves the stuff and want to make my own. I'm looking for some good recipes. Anyone else ever done this.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkRinds

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

Just a word of warning.  The stuff will stink up the house, so having a root cellar or basement or something is preferred.  I dated a Korean girl whose mom made awesome kimchi.  It was absolutely disgusting up until the moment you put it in your mouth.  But I love the stuff.

DeltaBoy

I ate it a lot in Grad school cause we had neighbors from South Korea next door.  The Hot variety will bust up a bad head cold fast.  As Mrs Kim said Kim-che is our Chicken Soup when your sick.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Richard_white

Kim-Che is really good.  I travel to Seoul and Busan quite a bit and eat that every time I'm there.  I know quite a few that can give me a recipe. 

HawgWild

I got a Mama O's Kimchi kit as a gift a few years back. It made pretty good kimchi. Here's a link to their site. http://www.kimchirules.com/

There's a bubbler on top of the jar and that seemed to keep down the odor.

I bought some a few years back at an Asian store in West LR. You had to bring your own jar and they filled it from a big barrel in the back.

Goes great with Bo Ssam.

pigture perfect

Yes a have an old out building on the property so it won't stink up the house. My wife's mother was a missionaries kid in Korea, I want to surprise her with some for Thanksgiving. (Of course I'm going to make hers xxxhot, hehehe)

Thanks for the links.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 19, 2016, 02:55:22 pm
Yes a have an old out building on the property so it won't stink up the house. My wife's mother was a missionaries kid in Korea, I want to surprise her with some for Thanksgiving. (Of course I'm going to make hers xxxhot, hehehe)

Thanks for the links.

From what I understand the spot needs to be a semi-cool place.  If it's overly hot it will ferment too fast.  I'm not an expert by any means, but I remember her being really picky about it, and sometimes she ended up throwing whole batches out because they "went too far". 

pigture perfect

That's why I'm looking to start during the fall.

DeltaBoy

The folks at grad school would make it in the fall by burying  a 5 gallon bucket in the ground and placing their crock in it , lid on and bury the whole thing for a while .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.