Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone here had experience smoking salmon on a cedar plank?

Started by Boarcephus, March 21, 2016, 03:52:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Looking for a little advice here because I've never done it but plan on trying it this Sunday.  Not a huge salmon fan but trying to find a way to cook it I might like.  Plans are to get a cedar plank from Whole Foods and soak it for an hour or so.  Get a big piece of salmon, coat it with molasses, throw it on the plank and smoke it on the egg at 350 or so.  May wind up eating the plank.  Any tips?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 21, 2016, 03:52:43 pm
Looking for a little advice here because I've never done it but plan on trying it this Sunday.  Not a huge salmon fan but trying to find a way to cook it I might like.  Plans are to get a cedar plank from Whole Foods and soak it for an hour or so.  Get a big piece of salmon, coat it with molasses, throw it on the plank and smoke it on the egg at 350 or so.  May wind up eating the plank.  Any tips?
I coat it with Teriyaki & Crushed Garlic that is in a jar, plus a pat of Butter... Then smoke at 250 for an hour or so... Check it often after an hour, it gets really good quick... BUT, then it can get overcooked quick.. 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Last time I cooked it, turned out Perfect..  Looks like I added Brown Sugar and left off Teriyaki

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on March 21, 2016, 04:05:23 pm
   I coat it with Teriyaki & Crushed Garlic that is in a jar, plus a pat of Butter... Then smoke at 250 for an hour or so... Check it often after an hour, it gets really good quick... BUT, then it can get overcooked quick.. 

So you shoot for an internal temp or just till it looks done?  Been reading a little on it and they say soak the board for an hour or so, throw it on the grill till it starts to smoke, turn it over and place the fish on it.  Is salmon something you want to cooked lower and slower?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 21, 2016, 04:10:35 pm
So you shoot for an internal temp or just till it looks done?  Been reading a little on it and they say soak the board for an hour or so, throw it on the grill till it starts to smoke, turn it over and place the fish on it.  Is salmon something you want to cooked lower and slower?
I seasoned the planks a few days before then let them dry.. Then put in water for maybe an hour before... I thought an hour a little more it was awesome.. just till it starts getting done by seeing it flake

Boarcephus

Appreciate it!  Think I'll buy a big piece and cut it in half.  I'll do the molasses on one half and the teriyaki and garlic on the other half.  What do you mean when you say you "season" it?

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 21, 2016, 04:24:21 pm
Appreciate it!  Think I'll buy a big piece and cut it in half.  I'll do the molasses on one half and the teriyaki and garlic on the other half.  What do you mean when you say you "season" it?
I actually smoke the boards in my smoker for a couple of hours and get a good smoke flavor in them...

Inhogswetrust

My wife brought one home from Kroger this past weekend. It was already spiced, marinaded and on the plank ready to go after thawing out. Grilled it and it was really good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

We soak ours for up two 2 hours and with new ones they get 2 hours of smoke on the Weber first.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

netteltonhog

I have found that brining the salmon overnight vastly improves the texture and flavor. I make a simple brine with pickling salt and fresh onion, garlic and peppercorns. Prior to smoking I rinse the salmon in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle seasoning of choice( I use Cavenders) and top it with brown sugar. Alder is the wood of choice for smoking but Apple works well also. 2 hrs at 225 degrees and you will have the best smoked salmon ever.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: netteltonhog on April 03, 2016, 01:00:44 pm
I have found that brining the salmon overnight vastly improves the texture and flavor. I make a simple brine with pickling salt and fresh onion, garlic and peppercorns. Prior to smoking I rinse the salmon in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle seasoning of choice( I use Cavenders) and top it with brown sugar. Alder is the wood of choice for smoking but Apple works well also. 2 hrs at 225 degrees and you will have the best smoked salmon ever.

Sounds good.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.