Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish in arkansas

Started by jowl@themoon, January 04, 2015, 10:41:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

Quote from: hoglady on May 20, 2015, 10:52:10 pm
Lassis Inn in Little Rock has some of the absolute best catfish in the state.
Off East Roosevelt close to I-30. (blue house you can see from interstate).
They also have Buffalo - a really forgotten fish. When done properly it's some fine eating.
It's a date  ;D
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Pigasaurus

Buffalo ribs are as good as it gets.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

majestic

Quote from: hoglady on May 29, 2015, 05:17:49 pm
There isn't much in the world better than a catfish dinner - polished off with peach cobbler.
I hate catfish. There is some place out in Sonora that my parents claim have the best in the world, though.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hoglady

Quote from: majestic on May 30, 2015, 04:22:07 pm
I hate catfish. There is some place out in Sonora that my parents claim have the best in the world, though.

Where are you from?
I swear I've never met anyone raised in the South who doesn't like Catfish.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

majestic

Quote from: hoglady on May 30, 2015, 04:24:49 pm
Where are you from?
I swear I've never met anyone raised in the South who doesn't like Catfish.
I've lived in NWA all but about 5 years of my life. I don't like venison, either. As a matter of fact, when I say I like seafood, I mean from the sea.  Not the lake, not the river, but the actual sea.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hoglady

Quote from: majestic on May 30, 2015, 04:28:07 pm
I've lived in NWA all but about 5 years of my life. I don't like venison, either. As a matter of fact, when I say I like seafood, I mean from the sea.  Not the lake, not the river, but the actual sea.

I like seafood, but I prefer freshwater fish - crappie, bass, catfish.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BR

This is a THREAD about Catfish in Arkansas................    NO One gives a rats a$$ if you like Seafood...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 25, 2015, 12:26:22 pm
The Tadpole in Pleasant Plains on your way to Batesville. Open Thursday-Sunday.
Tadpoles, you mean. They are pretty pricey.. But their Buffett, when fresh, can't be beat.

Fred's Fish House out passed the WalMart in Batesville has long been one of my favorite catfish places.

LSUFan

So here is a valid question:

Do y'all like your catfish with the hint of muddy taste? Or the ones that are cleaned up to not taste like mud?

I know some people prefer one or the other.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

pigture perfect

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on August 07, 2015, 02:21:20 am
Tadpoles, you mean. They are pretty pricey.. But their Buffett, when fresh, can't be beat.

Fred's Fish House out passed the WalMart in Batesville has long been one of my favorite catfish places.

even though some on here would say that my following stAtement would be sacrilege, but Fred's hush puppies are every it as good as The Catfish Holes' in Fayetteville. Batesville is also my hometown. Haven't been there in awhile though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

I miss good catfish the most about not living in Arkansas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bobbybouchet

I grew up on Catfish John's in Rogers.  The past few years it had been hit or miss, and I stopped recommending them.  But I went a couple of weeks ago and it was the best I have ever had...from anywhere.  He must have gone with a new catfish supplier.  One thing to note about their hush puppies, they are maybe more like a fritter.  Light weight, larger size, which I prefer.  Catfish hole has a heavier, smaller hush puppy which is probably more the norm as far as catfish places go.

DeltaBoy

Mom and Dad are hitting a place in Monroe Ark at the Grocery store.  Dad says it as good as the fish at Don's Catfish Kitchen in Dewitt.  Good Lord Knows I miss that place .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogfan68

The Catfish Barn. Pocola Oklahoma. It"s as good as any.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: hogfan68 on October 06, 2015, 08:03:37 pm

Better than the Catfish Hole for sure.  Others should check it out if they get a chance.  There was a place down near Gotebo called Fat Cats that had some of the best catfish I have ever eaten.  Guy retired and wouldn't sell his recipe.  His son has talked about reopening it in a new location. 

DeltaBoy

I found good catfish in EAST TEXAS But nothing but fillets in DFW!

PEtrader

Quote from: bobbybouchet on September 28, 2015, 06:08:54 pm
I grew up on Catfish John's in Rogers.  The past few years it had been hit or miss, and I stopped recommending them.  But I went a couple of weeks ago and it was the best I have ever had...from anywhere.  He must have gone with a new catfish supplier.  One thing to note about their hush puppies, they are maybe more like a fritter.  Light weight, larger size, which I prefer.  Catfish hole has a heavier, smaller hush puppy which is probably more the norm as far as catfish places go.

Been told that is Swai from Sams Club
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: hogfan68 on October 06, 2015, 08:03:37 pm

MAde it over there again this week.  Man that is some good catter.

zane

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2015, 10:22:53 am
Dairy King, Portia Arkansas.

It's probably been 6 years since I've been there. Always had good food- and even better scenery. ;)
RIP LSUfan

ricepig

Quote from: zane on November 08, 2015, 02:31:24 pm
It's probably been 6 years since I've been there. Always had good food- and even better scenery. ;)

Yeah, Don knew how to hire 16-22yr old waitress.

ShooShooBlue

Catfish Cove in Fort Smith is Excellent!!!
twatever!!!😂

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ShooShooBlue on June 04, 2016, 09:36:49 pm
Catfish Cove in Fort Smith is Excellent!!!
I don't know how long it's been since you've been there, but I must respectfully disagree on this one.  Now, in it's day.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 06, 2016, 09:37:51 am
I don't know how long it's been since you've been there, but I must respectfully disagree on this one.  Now, in it's day.
Agreed.

ShooShooBlue

I will say it's been awhile. Hate to hear that.
twatever!!!😂

Boardon Hamsay

Despite it closing down many years ago, The Hush Puppy in Camden will always be my top Arkansas catfish spot. Abe's Old Feed House in Lawson has the best catfish in South Arkansas these days. Haven't tried the Abe's in Benton to see if it's comparable. Now, Bubba's and Mr. Whiskers have the best catfish I've tried in the Hot Springs area. There's another spot on up in a Bauxite called Eat My Catfish that was pretty legit. Little Rock area for me begins and ends with Lassis Inn.

As for NWA, The Catfish Hole is not bad but I've run into a few badly fried, soggy batches over the years that I'm sorry, you can't have if "catfish" is in your restaurant's name. That's catfish sacrilege. Catfish John's in Rogers is in the same boat. Not bad but you may run into a soggy batch from time to time.

Lastly, two spots in NWA worth mentioning. JJ's in Rogers has a pretty legit catfish nugget basket that is overshadowed by their other pub menu options. Secondly, believe it or not, the White Oak Station by the Rogers promenade has good catfish. The key there is, catch it (pun intended) around 11:00 am as its coming right out of the fryer.

Just my 2 cents on Arkansas catfish.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

ricepig

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on June 06, 2016, 08:23:41 pm
Despite it closing down many years ago, The Hush Puppy in Camden will always be my top Arkansas catfish spot. Abe's Old Feed House in Lawson has the best catfish in South Arkansas these days. Haven't tried the Abe's in Benton to see if it's comparable. Now, Bubba's and Mr. Whiskers have the best catfish I've tried in the Hot Springs area. There's another spot on up in a Bauxite called Eat My Catfish that was pretty legit. Little Rock area for me begins and ends with Lassis Inn.

As for NWA, The Catfish Hole is not bad but I've run into a few badly fried, soggy batches over the years that I'm sorry, you can't have if "catfish" is in your restaurant's name. That's catfish sacrilege. Catfish John's in Rogers is in the same boat. Not bad but you may run into a soggy batch from time to time.

Lastly, two spots in NWA worth mentioning. JJ's in Rogers has a pretty legit catfish nugget basket that is overshadowed by their other pub menu options. Secondly, believe it or not, the White Oak Station by the Rogers promenade has good catfish. The key there is, catch it (pun intended) around 11:00 am as its coming right out of the fryer.

Just my 2 cents on Arkansas catfish.

You like your catfish, such a connoisseur.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ricepig on June 06, 2016, 08:35:51 pm
You like your catfish, such a connoisseur.

Shoot yeah, bro rice! Not many things better than crispy fried catfish, hush puppies, cole slaw, sweet onion, and a few cold beers.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

oldman1015

Quote from: LSUFan on August 07, 2015, 04:26:00 pm
So here is a valid question:

Do y'all like your catfish with the hint of muddy taste? Or the ones that are cleaned up to not taste like mud?

I know some people prefer one or the other.
pond raised catfish have ruined lake catfish for me. cold river water ok but not june-august hot water fish.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

rzrbk4life

There's a place called Georgetown One Stop in Georgetown, AR that has some great catfish. It's a hole in the wall place and you really have to be going there to get there.

Their hushpuppies/fries are ok but I love how they do their catfish. Not too heavy on the breading like some places and their catfish is as fresh as you'll get. Dang this thread is making me hungry!
Let's call those hogs!!!!