Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bacon Explosions and Fattys... A Primer...

Started by Shag66, September 27, 2010, 05:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shag66

We had a thread about Bacon Explosions in the Tavern a few days ago and I made some for the Alabama tailgate so I thought I would share MY techniques with everyone since I got a lot of questions about them...

1.  What is a Bacon Explosion?  It is a sausage roll stuffed with bacon and BBQ sauce and wrapped with a bacon lattice and then smoked...  It is a type of Fatty (a term used in BBQ circles)

This is a pic of the original done by the Burnt Fingers BBQ guys...

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion/    <--- link to their site...

They use Italian Sausage and they use their own rubs and sauces...

Shag66

2. What is a Fatty?  A fatty is simply a smoked chub or roll of sausage...  Sometimes stuffed with goodies, sometimes just plain... 

It was apparently "discovered" by some BBQ competitors at a cookoff when they wanted something for breakfast.  They had a roll of Jimmy Dean, rubbed it with BBQ rub, and threw it on the smoker...   

The Naked Fatty (as the ones that are simply sausage like this are now called) makes a GREAT breakfast sammie!   I encourage everyone who has a smoker to try one like this sometime soon!  I use typically use Jimmy Dean Maple or Hot, but I have used all types.  Williams sausage is really good like this also...

You can also stuff your Fatty...  With pretty much anything your heart desires...

Shag66

3. How do I make one?

Well...  Watch me!

most of the "fixins!"

I made 3 for the tailgate...

1. Jimmy Dean Maple sausage rubbed with John Henry's Pecan Rub and stuffed with crumbled bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and drizzled with SWEET BBQ sauce and then wrapped in bacon...

2. Jimmy Dean Hot sausage rubbed with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom Rub and stuffed with crumbled bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, chopped jalapenos, and drizzled with Slacker's world famous spicy BBQ sauce and then wrapped in bacon...

3. Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage rubbed with Todd's Dirt Rub (an Italian Herb rub) and stuffed with a lil' Pizza sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, and Italian cheese...

Shag66

Shag66

Shag66

Well...  there ya go!  Fatty Construction 101...

Try em!

Try the Naked Fatty!  Come up with cool stuffings!

I particularly enjoy the Pizza Fatty as described above and I like a Hot sausage stuffed with cheese and sauteed onions and peppers...

I have seen some really cool ones though!  I saw a guy stuff one with blueberry pancakes and syrup once!

Questions?

Shag66

September 27, 2010, 07:45:26 pm #6 Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:46:34 am by Shag66
Quote from: tallahasseehog on September 27, 2010, 07:13:20 pm
How long do you cook these bad boys?  And at what temp!

I usually cook them about 2 hours at 300ish...  If I have them on with a Pork Butta at 225-250 it will take 2-1/2 hrs or so...

takem up to 165-170 internal...

Shag66

Quote from: Boar on September 28, 2010, 09:07:18 pm
Does most of the fat drip off?  It sure looks good, but also looks unhealthy.

actually a lot of the fat does drip off Boar...  Especially in the ones that aren't bacon wrapped... 

It IS sausage, so it ain't like eating grapefruits and pinenuts, but it isn't greasy like when you pan fry up some sausage patties...

SteveInArk

Looks like a success to me, Tallahassie  ... :)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Shag66

Looks pretty perfect to me Tallahassee!  Never seen the two sausages stacked like that!  How'd that work?

Did you use a BBQ rub?  How bout a sauce?

It is easy to over stuff them!  ;)

Shag66

You might have overcooked it...  or cooked it at too high a temp...

I usually don't have a problem with them getting too dry even when I do the naked ones that are just chubs with nothing inside...

I may have told you the wrong internal temp...  :(

Shag66

do you think stacking the 2 sausages was better than mixing them together at the beginning?

SteveInArk

Quote from: Shag66 on October 04, 2010, 11:08:17 pm
I may have told you the wrong internal temp...  :(

Shag.  You might go up to that post and modify it with the right internal temp, for future readers.  Thought it seemed high but didn't ask the question.   :-\

I feel like one of those bystanders watching someone get mugged and not calling for help.   :D
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Shag66

Quote from: SteveInArk on October 05, 2010, 08:42:43 am
Shag.  You might go up to that post and modify it with the right internal temp, for future readers.  Thought it seemed high but didn't ask the question.   :-\

I feel like one of those bystanders watching someone get mugged and not calling for help.   :D

Aye!  I meant 170 and went all spastic and put 270...  That WOULD dry it out a bit I suppose!

CHANGED to 165-170... 

ChromDome35

Shaq, have you seen the Fatty throw-down thread on BBQ Brethren?

Shag66

Quote from: ChromDome35 on November 03, 2010, 10:50:04 am
Shaq, have you seen the Fatty throw-down thread on BBQ Brethren?

Is it a new one?  I saw a fatty throwdown a while back...

I love those guys!

ChromDome35

Quote from: Shag66 on November 03, 2010, 11:41:05 am
Is it a new one?  I saw a fatty throwdown a while back...

I love those guys!
It is from Mid October of this year

Shag66

Quote from: ChromDome35 on November 03, 2010, 03:31:36 pm
It is from Mid October of this year

:)  Yeah I LOVE the throwdown threads...  Those are what got me taking pics of my cooks!  GREAT pics in those threads...

ThunderHog

November 05, 2010, 09:47:46 pm #18 Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:55:48 pm by ThunderHog
Quote from: Shag66 on November 03, 2010, 06:23:38 pm
:)  Yeah I LOVE the throwdown threads...  Those are what got me taking pics of my cooks!  GREAT pics in those threads...

Good stuff.

ennairb

I'll have to try this out sometime. Thanks for the instructions!

Shag66

Quote from: ennairb on November 07, 2010, 07:08:18 pm
I'll have to try this out sometime. Thanks for the instructions!

Say the word...  If you can get that husband of yours to learn how to use a grill I'll roll one up for you!  lol

DeltaBoy

How long would I do this in a oven???
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Shag66

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Shag66 on November 16, 2010, 04:52:49 pm
I'd guess a couple of hours...  

thanks I got to get a internal Temp probe before I try this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Made a little one with a stick of Summer sausage it disappeared in under 2 hours at my house.

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: Shag66 on September 27, 2010, 05:37:07 pm

The Pizza Fatty all rolled and ready to go!
Wonder how that would be if you rolled thin pizza dough around it after it was almost done and finished it off in the oven?

Shag66

Quote from: SC-RAZOR on January 26, 2011, 04:08:02 pm
Wonder how that would be if you rolled thin pizza dough around it after it was almost done and finished it off in the oven?

I've seen it!

You can do that on a indirect grill as well...

I'd skip the bacon in that case though...

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: Shag66 on January 26, 2011, 04:18:38 pm
I've seen it!

You can do that on a indirect grill as well...

I'd skip the bacon in that case though...
Oh heck no. Bacon on pizza is good!

spe450

Quote from: SC-RAZOR on January 26, 2011, 04:54:15 pm
Oh heck no. Bacon on pizza is good!

That grease will muff up your dough though.

SC-RAZOR

twistitup

Quote from: spe450 on January 26, 2011, 04:57:17 pm
That grease will muff up your dough though.

You can cook the bacon crispy beforehand....crumble it up, roll the fatty in the crumbs then wrap in dough.

Speaking of fatty, I'm ready!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Shag66

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2011, 05:10:02 pm
You can cook the bacon crispy beforehand....crumble it up, roll the fatty in the crumbs then wrap in dough.

Speaking of fatty, I'm ready!

yup...  I'd probably smoke the fatty and THEN wrap it in dough and finish it that way...

twistitup

Quote from: Shag66 on January 26, 2011, 06:53:03 pm
yup...  I'd probably smoke the fatty and THEN wrap it in dough and finish it that way...

It could be the Fatty Wellington

Shag66

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2011, 07:00:13 pm
It could be the Fatty Wellington

my thoughts exactly...

you could wrap it in Pizza dough OR do a puff pastry or filo dough...

If I could figure out how to make the yeast rolls from Ricks we could just make a HUGE Sausage Roll outta it!

twistitup

Quote from: Shag66 on January 26, 2011, 07:04:19 pm
my thoughts exactly...

If I could figure out how to make the yeast rolls from Ricks we could just make a HUGE Sausage Roll outta it!

sounds too good

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: Shag66 on January 26, 2011, 07:04:19 pm
my thoughts exactly...

There ya go!

Shag66

If anyone needs a tutorial on how to make a bacon weave I found one that demonstrates it quite well:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99585

Shag66

Quote from: tallahasseehog on February 01, 2011, 05:10:26 pm
Wrapping it is interesting.  You could use croissont dough and it would be more breakfasty.  Good way to kick off a tailgate for a noon kickoff!

My fav for breakfast is just a straight Jimmy Dean chub smoked...   just rub it down with a good rub and toss it on teh smoker...

slice that sucker up and make breakfast sandwiches with some english muffins, cheese and an egg..

It is a Sausage Egg McMuffin kicked WAY WAY up!

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

VBRazorback

VBRazorback

VBRazorback

My first one. Got over a foot of snow today so cooked in the oven. Not perfect but like I said first one. Put some head country rud on the outside.

VBRazorback

Now I know what I have been missing. That thing was one of the best things I've had in a long time. A slice of that and fried Tatars and I was in heaven. It would have been a lot better on the grill.

Shag66

Quote from: VBRazorback on February 09, 2011, 08:10:16 pm
Now I know what I have been missing. That thing was one of the best things I've had in a long time. A slice of that and fried Tatars and I was in heaven. It would have been a lot better on the grill.

Yup...  I love to toss em on the smoker...  That smokey flavor in the sausage is awesome!

Slacker

Quote from: Shag66 on July 08, 2012, 01:59:26 pm
Bumping for idiot Slacker

I crapped in your BGE today. Sorry about the hole in your fence and the cracks in the BGE.

MO.Hog

Good god this is making me hungry! :razorback:

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"