Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the best Two Way Radios?

Started by Franchise_Hog, December 14, 2015, 11:32:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Franchise_Hog

Need some help please on what you guys have used.  My in-laws recently bought a cabin in Mountain View, AR on the White River.  As many of you know, cell phones particularly there are hit or miss.  When he's out fishing, no one can get a hold of him.  I want to buy the most reliable and waterproof they make....no real budget, but don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. Thanks guys.

Grizzlyfan

Plenty of good 2 way radios out there and you don't have to spend a fortune.  Just bear in mind when the radio says it has X miles range, that is on flat ground without obstructions.  don't count on getting 2, 3 or 5 mile coverage in the mountains.  Get the highest wattage you can afford and don't be afraid of a big, obnoxious antenna. 

ricepig

Yep, antenna is the key, and handheld are very limited.

DeltaBoy

Cobra used to make a good one.  But I been out of the loop for several years now. Try some Military Surplus ones.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

Get Midland. Xtra-talk. The ones I have I had to get a license from the FCC to use the full power mode. Free license*. Amazing range

Franchise_Hog