Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is your gut feeling on who's going to be the next coach here?

Started by Ben, November 21, 2017, 05:41:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rusvegashog

Quote from: buldozer on November 21, 2017, 05:48:44 pm
Gus if he loses Sat. Norvell if he doesn't.
Why do folks think this? If he beats Bama, what's the thinkin? That they'll just wanna keep him more and give him a raise?

duckman

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: moses_007 on November 21, 2017, 06:39:34 pm
Coach will DEFINITELY be an "Arkansas ties" guy.  AD may be another one out from left field like Jeff Long.

Oh, great. Another carpetbagger AD?  We'll never hear the end of Delta's rants.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The Chief on November 21, 2017, 06:56:00 pm
Oh, great. Another carpetbagger AD?  We'll never hear the end of Delta's rants.

What's another 40,000 "fire the carpetbagger" posts to Delta? 3 or 4 weeks?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

East Clintwood

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 21, 2017, 05:45:03 pm
if bama beats auburn, gus.  If auburn wins, norvell. 

This. And I'll be sick to my stomach if Bama wins.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HiggiePiggy

My gut says Saban.  He wants to be the only head coach to win a national championship at 3 different schools.....
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jbigs77

LA Football fan

Will be pulling hard for Auburn to win.  Might send some cash to SEC office to help with officials calls.  Don't want Gus whether he wins or loses.   If he can't keep the fans happy at Auburn, a place with top 10 recruiting  classes year in and year out, what  makes anyone think he will keep the fans happy here?? 

Now  you are asking him to come here and get the same results with lesser talented players and when his offense struggles due to play calling just like it has there, the  uproar from those fans that didn't want him in the first place will will dwarf what he is facing there.   Just because he has run up the score on our pitiful defense, doesn't mean it will translate when he gets here for us.  He hasn't beaten LSU on the road yet as HC there, even in his best years.   Even Bert has managed to do that.  Just say no to Gus and move on.  Let the air out of the tires on  the bus and pour sugar in the engine.  Time to move on from the Gus train. 

Hogs-n-Roses

widespreadsooie

Quote from: livevanguy on November 21, 2017, 06:20:52 pm
You mean like a Charlie Strong?

Eh, was actually thinking someone more unexpected. But yes, Strong would qualify as a lesser mentioned name. I think there is SOME legitimate traction with Gus. Haven't seen or heard anything that would make me think that with Norvell.

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Danimal

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 21, 2017, 05:45:03 pm
if bama beats auburn, gus.  If auburn wins, norvell.
Probably true. But speaking hypothetically here -- I wonder what the reaction on here would be if Bama beat them by something in the neighborhood of 48 - 10. Would the Gus crew still want him?

Sweet Feet

Ccwaziya

Marshfieldhog

PossumFan

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 21, 2017, 08:00:09 pm
Eh, was actually thinking someone more unexpected. But yes, Strong would qualify as a lesser mentioned name. I think there is SOME legitimate traction with Gus. Haven't seen or heard anything that would make me think that with Norvell.

More unexpected? How about this: Ruffin McNeill.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Gladstonesmoans

Quickdraw

bphi11ips

Quote from: LA Football fan on November 21, 2017, 07:13:11 pm
Will be pulling hard for Auburn to win.  Might send some cash to SEC office to help with officials calls.  Don't want Gus whether he wins or loses.   If he can't keep the fans happy at Auburn, a place with top 10 recruiting  classes year in and year out, what  makes anyone think he will keep the fans happy here?? 

Now  you are asking him to come here and get the same results with lesser talented players and when his offense struggles due to play calling just like it has there, the  uproar from those fans that didn't want him in the first place will will dwarf what he is facing there.   Just because he has run up the score on our pitiful defense, doesn't mean it will translate when he gets here for us.  He hasn't beaten LSU on the road yet as HC there, even in his best years.   Even Bert has managed to do that.  Just say no to Gus and move on.  Let the air out of the tires on  the bus and pour sugar in the engine.  Time to move on from the Gus train. 

I always laugh at the notion that Auburn is so much better than Arkansas.  When Arkansas joined the SEC, it was considered a slightly better program than Auburn.  The SEC series record was 10-10 -1 until the year Malzahn and Bielema took over at each school.  Auburn is 4-1 head-to-head since. 

Arkansas must send a message with this hire.  The message must be that it is a player.  Malzahn would send that message.  Norvell would as well.  It won't be out of left field.  The BOT will wait a year rather than send the message that we are poor widdle Arkiesaw as so many here believe.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sivad

hogsfanchaz

Gus with Clint Stoerner as his QB coach.....I know he can develop a QB!!!  8)
The difficult we do immediately....the impossible takes a little longer!!!!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 21, 2017, 06:53:23 pm
Why do folks think this? If he beats Bama, what's the thinkin? That they'll just wanna keep him more and give him a raise?

They may not wanna keep him but we won't be able to just sit and wait to see if he makes the playoffs.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

LA Football fan

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 21, 2017, 08:47:49 pm
I always laugh at the notion that Auburn is so much better than Arkansas.  When Arkansas joined the SEC, it was considered a slightly better program than Auburn.  The SEC series record was 10-10 -1 until the year Malzahn and Bielema took over at each school.  Auburn is 4-1 head-to-head since. 

Arkansas must send a message with this hire.  The message must be that it is a player.  Malzahn would send that message.  Norvell would as well.  It won't be out of left field.  The BOT will wait a year rather than send the message that we are poor widdle Arkiesaw as so many here believe.

Arkansas has never been considered a better program in football than Auburn since we joined the SEC.  I laugh at the notion that people think we are.  Auburn has actually won the SEC and the NC since we joined the conference.  We had a chance once in 25 years, not even close to what Auburn has done in the same time period.   Yeah we have beaten them and kept the series pretty even, but our best years don't compare to Auburn's best years.  Their program is head and shoulders above ours right now.  Not saying  we can''t bring a coach in here and change the perception, but until then, Auburn is the better program.

ipigsooie

Hogarusa

Pretty difficult to dismiss the reports and the rumors but if I am guessing with no knowledge...

Mike Leach
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Tarheelhawg

Norvell or Gus would give me the feeling that we could win the games the we are supposed to win as well as a couple that we aren't.  It has been years since I have felt that way.

moses_007

moses_007

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2017, 07:01:14 pm
My gut says Saban.  He wants to be the only head coach to win a national championship at 3 different schools.....
Yes and Arkansas will up his Alabama salary from $11 million to $20 million.

The BOT want to fill up RRS real bad for each game.

AirWarren

Quote from: longpig on November 21, 2017, 06:25:00 pm
Or worse, Bo Pelini.

Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

2014. 9-3
2013. 9-4
2012. 10-4(big ten title game appearance)
2011. 9-4
2010. 10-4(big 12 title game appearance)
2009. 10-4(big 12 title game appearance)
2008. 9-4

Averaged 9 wins at Nebraska.

Not exactly a horrible choice.

Piggie

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 21, 2017, 07:01:14 pm

So, if Alabama wins, we get Gus; if Auburn wins, we get Saban. Sounds logical.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

Piggie

Quote from: AP85 on November 21, 2017, 09:32:16 pm
Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

2014. 9-3
2013. 9-4
2011. 9-4
2008. 9-4

Sounds about like Bielema's record in the Big Ten. I am highly skeptical.

regi

I think  it is Gus.  I hope it is. He understands, and his teams play  like he and they know,  the importance of defense, and physical football,  if you want to win at the top of the SEC. I know it is only Norvell's second year at Mumphis,  but his teams give up 460 yards and 32 points a game at Mumphis. I am also not sure Coaching at Tulsa, Pitt or Arizona St,  gave him any sense,  of how to recruit,  and build a good defense.  Gus is more ready today,  than Norvell is.

Bubba's Bruisers

Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

2014. 9-3
2013. 9-4
2011. 9-4
2008. 9-4

You're probably correct.  Wonder why he isn't a HC somewhere.  I assume because no AD wants to be the guy to hire the guy who's the first guy to choke a referee to death on national TV on a Saturday afternoon in the Fall.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

AirWarren

Quote from: Piggie on November 21, 2017, 09:36:16 pm
Sounds about like Bielema's record in the Big Ten. I am highly skeptical.

He was a solid D coordinator at LSU.

JOKERHOG

my gut says Leach has been wrapped up for awhile.  Would be very happy with Norvell though
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

3of5-2

I said before that I wouldn't think Gus would leave Auburn to come here. However, I think now he comes here whether or not he beats Bama. I think he knows that this is his best chance to beat the Tide, and win or lose, he knows that Auburn fans want to beat Bama every year. He may look ahead 2 or 3 years down the road, and realize that he will have the same chance to beat Bama at Arkansas as he will at Auburn, but won't be under as much pressure to do that here.

goodguytex

I honestly would rather Enos get the HC job than Gus Malzahn. Basically pretty much anyone but Gus. There's been so much garbage that has touched him but not enough to get him dirty. We don't need that around our program. Guy is a backstabbing 2 faced POS too. I'd almost rather get Bielema another year than Malzahn.

Tony Perkis

goodguytex

I would love to see Campbell of Iowa State, or Venables of Clemson get the job. But I doubt either would get it.

King Kong

Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

2014. 9-3
2013. 9-4
2011. 9-4
2008. 9-4

And several of those loses were A$$ kickings by CBB. Including 70-17

SooieGeneris

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Piggie

Quote from: goodguytex on November 21, 2017, 10:38:12 pm
I honestly would rather Enos get the HC job than Gus Malzahn. Basically pretty much anyone but Gus. There's been so much garbage that has touched him but not enough to get him dirty. We don't need that around our program. Guy is a backstabbing 2 faced POS too. I'd almost rather get Bielema another year than Malzahn.

I think someone is bitter. Are we not? ;)