Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are any of you guys being serious?

Started by Grizzlyfan, November 16, 2017, 03:08:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BearsBisonsBoars

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HF#1 on November 16, 2017, 04:37:26 pm
Why is Tuberville a bad choice?
Why would he be a good choice?  Zero AD experience.  Everybody pissed off about Long's hires.  Tuberville has never hired anybody.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Wildhog

(Insert washed-up football coach here) for AD!
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Locutus_of_Boar

HF#1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 04:38:53 pm
Why would he be a good choice?  Zero AD experience.  Everybody pissed off about Long's hires.  Tuberville has never hired anybody.

He hasn't hired assistant coaches? Like a bunch of them? Our last AD had a ton of experience and made John L Smith interim head coach. One of the dumbest moves in the history of Athletic Directors.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

wikipedia brown

I think the ad from A state  would be a good hire. he has brought in some high profile coaches and completely turned their football program around.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

pigz

I'm pretty sure this is a destination AD job, How many of these people are we going to have to turn away is the question.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

oldhawg

If he is available, Chet (Chester) Gladchuck has done a good job of reviving the football program at the U.S. Naval Academy.  Plus he has experience as an AD at Tulane and the University of Houston, so he should be familiar with the lay of the land in this part of the country.  IMO, it's worth an inquiry.

"Chester Stephen Gladchuk Jr. (born 1950) is an American college athletics administrator and former American football player and coach. He is currently the athletic director at the United States Naval Academy, a position he has held since 2001. Gladchuk served as the athletic director at Tulane University from 1988 to 1990, at Boston College from 1990 to 1997, and at the University of Houston from 1997 to 2001. Gladchuk attended Worcester Academy and then played college football at Boston College from 1970 to 1972. He coached high school football in New Hampton, New Hampshire before moving to the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he worked as an assistant athletic director. Gladchuck's father, Chet Gladchuk, also played college football at Boston College before playing professionally with the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL) and the Montreal Alouettes of the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union, now part of the Canadian Football League (CFL)."

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: oldhawg on November 16, 2017, 04:51:13 pm
If he is available, Chet Gladchuck has done a good job of reviving the football program at the U.S. Naval Academy.  Plus he has experience as an AD at Tulane and the University of Houston, so he should be familiar with the lay of the land in this part of the country.  IMO, it's worth an inquiry.

"Chester Stephen Gladchuk Jr. (born 1950) is an American college athletics administrator and former American football player and coach. He is currently the athletic director at the United States Naval Academy, a position he has held since 2001. Gladchuk served as the athletic director at Tulane University from 1988 to 1990, at Boston College from 1990 to 1997, and at the University of Houston from 1997 to 2001. Gladchuk attended Worcester Academy and then played college football at Boston College from 1970 to 1972. He coached high school football in New Hampton, New Hampshire before moving to the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he worked as an assistant athletic director. Gladchuck's father, Chet Gladchuk, also played college football at Boston College before playing professionally with the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL) and the Montreal Alouettes of the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union, now part of the Canadian Football League (CFL)."
Yankee.  Forget it.

IronHog

Why would Bazzel not be a good AD?

It's largely a fundraising, PR, and relationship building position.....he'd do well
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:08:12 pm
with AD recommendations like:

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

Is this actually indicative of the intellect of Hogville posters?

I just want to shout out again to BigBrandonAllenFan for actually proposing someone who actually serves as an athletic director.  Even if he is from UCA.
If my memory serves - Frank Broyles never served as an athletic director prior to becoming Arkansas's - but I could be wrong.

Grag T

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 03:22:13 pm
No they just want to post something.

This has got to be my favorite post this month!
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

oldhawg

hawgdavis

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 03:15:18 pm
Yes, they're serious.  This board is populated with lunatics.

Yep we're all Hog fans you guys included. 😳

Hawgphish

Agree with the OP.  This is a real job that takes an experienced skill set.   Listening to folks throw out names like Baz and Nutt is amazing. 

ricepig

Quote from: wikipedia brown on November 16, 2017, 04:42:46 pm
I think the ad from A state  would be a good hire. he has brought in some high profile coaches and completely turned their football program around.

He hired Harsin and Anderson, Lee hired Hugh and Gus.

The Hawg Marshal

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 04:54:19 pm

It's largely a fundraising, PR, and relationship building position.....he'd do well

It is much more complicated than that. There some lengthy breakdowns regarding the multilayered role of the AD in modern college Athletics, but here is a really basic one that will give you some idea:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2015/02/19/the-dynamic-role-of-the-modern-day-college-athletics-director/#1757b90a6076

IronHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 16, 2017, 05:30:38 pm
It is much more complicated than that. There some lengthy breakdowns regarding the multilayered role of the AD in modern college Athletics, but here is a really basic one that will give you some idea:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2015/02/19/the-dynamic-role-of-the-modern-day-college-athletics-director/#1757b90a6076

Undersatand all that but the AD does not operate in a vacume.....

Assistant ADs, consultants, lawyers etc assist with the technical aspects

Like any other leader.....the inner circle will largely determine success

Boardon Hamsay

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

I just want to shout out again to BigBrandonAllenFan for actually proposing someone who actually serves as an athletic director.  Even if he is from UCA.

Yes. A good chunk of Hogville has no common sense or "with-it ness"
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

IronHog

Sure Long was great at $$$ and contracts but had zero feel for hiring football coaches.

Get an AD with street smarts.....you can hire suits for the paperwork

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on November 16, 2017, 04:56:37 pm
If my memory serves - Frank Broyles never served as an athletic director prior to becoming Arkansas's - but I could be wrong.
And it isn't 1974 - but I could be wrong.

Razorbackers

Quote from: 247Hog on November 16, 2017, 03:23:35 pm
Guess i don't understand why this is a lunatic AD choice?

Cause he's a POS?

Hog10S

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

I guess under your logic Arkansas would never have hire Frank Broyles, as he wasn't an AD with a lot of experience, just a head coach, like a lot of the guys on the list.  Everyone is just having fun thinking what-if's.  But we got a true AD we just fired and many think he was all about the numbers and not the fans and he rubbed a lot the wrong way.  Frank, was not a career AD and was loved by most all and did a great job.  Maybe we need to go back in that direction to get back on track.

Athog

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

Unfortunately I think so, but hope it is a troll!!

RazorbacksFTW

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 16, 2017, 03:11:08 pm
That's Hogville for you. Heck somebody even proposed Peyton manning for coach a few weeks back. They'll put out any name that comes to mind. It's quite mad actually.

sowmonella

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

This is why I've suggested a minimum IQ of 60 to post anything on Hogville.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 03:21:10 pm
And how are the supposed to show that emphasis? Hiring a coach with lets say 2 years HC experience at a g5 school to come coach in the SECW. What does that emphasis look like?

Well, it's a lot better than going off half cocked and offering 6.5 Million a year to a coach who isn't worth that kind of money.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SPAL

I'm a lunatic and I'm ignorant and I have no brain to think with, obviously.....but TT would be great..

hogginbama

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

I have been saying for quite a while now that the internet is a dangerous toy. It should be carefully monitored in the trailer parks or it will make those cats go absolutely crazy.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Hog10S on November 17, 2017, 09:41:00 am
I guess under your logic Arkansas would never have hire Frank Broyles, as he wasn't an AD with a lot of experience, just a head coach, like a lot of the guys on the list.  Everyone is just having fun thinking what-if's.  But we got a true AD we just fired and many think he was all about the numbers and not the fans and he rubbed a lot the wrong way.  Frank, was not a career AD and was loved by most all and did a great job.  Maybe we need to go back in that direction to get back on track.
I'll say again that I believe the skill set for a successful AD in the 21st century is completely different than when Frank Broyles took over in 1974. 

It's business 90% of the time and hopefully firing/hiring a coach is a small (although certainly critical) part of the job.

hogginbama

Quote from: HF#1 on November 16, 2017, 04:42:27 pm
He hasn't hired assistant coaches? Like a bunch of them? Our last AD had a ton of experience and made John L Smith interim head coach. One of the dumbest moves in the history of Athletic Directors.

I would almost be willing to bet that the same BOT that pushed to have Long fired, also had a hand in the decision to keep JLS as the interim. They just don't have the balls to admit it.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

redhogchilipepper

I suggested Dan White at UCF his father is Dukes AD brother is Gators B.B. coach so he's been around it all his life he was smart enough to hire Frost

Lanny

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

new AD will be announced
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

rljjr

Quinn Grovey
David Bazzell
Tommy Tuberville
Jerry Jones
Barry Switzer
Ken Hatfield

There would be nothing wrong with having Hatfield as the face of the program. He has a ton of solid business people behind him that wouldn't swing the power back all the way to the GOBN, but keep a nice medium temp. I don't think it will be any of those on your list, and I agree many of them are ridiculous to consider, but I'm certain Hatfield would resonate with the older fanbase and donors. But again, it's not going to be any of them in my opinion.

hoglady

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 04:54:19 pm

It’s largely a fundraising, PR, and relationship building position.....he’d do well

I think so, too.
Don't know why he wouldn't be good at it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: hogginbama on November 17, 2017, 10:17:19 am
I would almost be willing to bet that the same BOT that pushed to have Long fired, also had a hand in the decision to keep JLS as the interim. They just don't have the balls to admit it.

We brought him back you mean - he had already left the staff and taken another job.
I wonder how many were aware of JLS' dire financial situation / bankruptcy and that our contract was structured in a pretty uncommon way to help JLS keep the bankruptcy court from taking it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: sowmonella on November 17, 2017, 09:59:57 am
This is why I've suggested a minimum IQ of 60 to post anything on Hogville.

I agree. Need to thin down the herd by at least 80%.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Athog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 16, 2017, 03:25:47 pm
Well that is certainly risk.  But even if you do hire a "football guy" as AD he may be more qualified to hire a football coach, but what about basketball coach, or baseball coach or track coach?  At the U of A I would say it's pretty important to hire the right track coach if a spot comes open.

But I just think in the 21st century, with all the money at stake, it's more important to have a professional administrator (most likely an attorney) in charge of your athletic department.

You are right!!

Soooie21

I've heard Kevin Scanlon thrown around.

farmhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 03:15:18 pm
Yes, they're serious.  This board is populated with lunatics.
Yep, same idiots think Long was great as well as Brett. Sheesh.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Rzback

I think what what I'm seeing with all the names being thrown out, whether right or wrong, good or bad, is that Arkansas fans are wanting an AD and HC with Arkansas ties and understands what Razorback foot ball means to the fans and State. I tend to agree with them but Frank Broyles was not an Arkansas boy while Bear Bryant was.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

snoblind

Quote from: fieldturf on November 16, 2017, 03:35:38 pm
Tommy Tuberville, damn right bring him home!

What's he going to do in Camden?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogBreath

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 16, 2017, 03:31:34 pm
And there's the problem. From a business standpoint and grade point average increase, we are all-Americans. I dont remember a point in our history when we have been financially distressed.  You can win and make money. That is an actual thing .  I don't care who we hire, but that guy better be able to hire coaches. It's called "athletic department" for a reason. It's for the athletics...not fund raising or academics.
Nicely stated.  Thankfully there are some who can get it.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?