Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Coaches Ego will lead to our Big Hire.

Started by BartIV, September 25, 2012, 10:45:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BartIV

September 25, 2012, 10:45:19 am Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:16:12 am by BartIV
Most big name coaches have one thing in common and that is a big ego.  It seems to me that most coaches outside of the SEC are getting sick and tired of hearing about how powerful the SEC is and the road to the National Championship runs through the SEC and in last years case, even more so.
I am thinking a big name is wanting out of his forgotten or ignored conference and wants to be where the action is, the SEC. They all have something to prove.
I think this could be a big factor in getting the coach we want and now they know you can win at Arkansas (thanks to Bobby P.), but just needs some work on recruiting.
And coaches want to be "paaaaaaid", and Arkansas can do that.

One thing we can thank Bobby P. for is showing other coaches you can win at Arkansas.
Go Hogs, even this year I guess.

Fayettechill14

Completely agree. Coaches want a shot at Alabama, and Arkansas offers the best position from which to take it, especially if Auburn doesn't come open. Coaches will reach out to Long and get their name on the candidates list.

Mr. Porkleone

HogginIT

Just wait until next Year!© Official slogan of Razorback football.

nwarazfan

Coaches like to win.  This is why they take jobs or leave for jobs at programs who have advantages in resources.  Why would a big name leave a secure position to take our job if he wants to be in the SEC?  Programs where it is easier to recruit to may have openings in the next couple of seasons like Tenn or AU.  Depending on the age or how much desire this big name coach has in leaving soon for the SEC, he could see Spurrier's age or Saban's and wait them out. 

Give us some possibilities starting with who you consider big names.  Stoops?  Ferentz(is he a big name to you)?  Chip Kelly?  Go conference by conference and list who you think the big names are and then tell us why they would leave for our job. 

BartIV

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on September 25, 2012, 10:55:27 am
Stoops
I like this a lot.
Oklahoma fans are tired of losing the games they should win and going 11-3, 12-2 every year, which I would love that at Arkansas.
He may not win us a National Championship every year, but he would put us in position to do so.

cosmodrum

Stoops wouldn't get us better than 3rd/4th in the SEC-W.

Go away, batin'

Iwastherein1969

if the NFL doesn't strike a deal with the refs and soon, I seriously could see this guy taking the job, particularly after last night's debacle in Seattle....
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BartIV

Quote from: nwarazfan on September 25, 2012, 10:57:32 am
Coaches like to win.  This is why they take jobs or leave for jobs at programs who have advantages in resources.  Why would a big name leave a secure position to take our job if he wants to be in the SEC?  Programs where it is easier to recruit to may have openings in the next couple of seasons like Tenn or AU.  Depending on the age or how much desire this big name coach has in leaving soon for the SEC, he could see Spurrier's age or Saban's and wait them out. 

Give us some possibilities starting with who you consider big names.  Stoops?  Ferentz(is he a big name to you)?  Chip Kelly?  Go conference by conference and list who you think the big names are and then tell us why they would leave for our job. 
Ego is my reasoning.
I think there are coaches, say Bobby Stoops, Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson (not likely), that are tired of always being on the outside looking in, hearing the media say they have to win out to get in the NC, hearing their conference is still a joke if they win out. When at the SEC, you could lose 1-2 games and lose the SEC Championship (this not likely to happen again) and still make it in the Big Game.
The SEC is stockpiling the best recruits in Nation, just because it is the SEC.
"Ego is a very powerful motivator" and I suspect that will lead us into getting a big coach who has something to prove to himself and the rest of the Nation.

Why does our country go into wars with chances of losing lives, losing the war, and so on. Its always EGO.

latrops

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 25, 2012, 11:00:42 am

So he'd be the same as Petrino?

rwspear

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 25, 2012, 11:00:42 am

delusion!

stoops would be the home-run hire everyone is clamoring for. or are you a butch davis fan rofl

Hoggish1

Quote from: BartIV on September 25, 2012, 10:57:39 am
I like this a lot.
Oklahoma fans are tired of losing the games they should win and going 11-3, 12-2 every year, which I would love that at Arkansas.
He may not win us a National Championship every year, but he would put us in position to do so.

I agree with Cosmodrum about Stoops.  I just don't see him having the success at Arkansas that he's enjoyed in the Big 12 at Oklahoma, even taking in the losses he was not supposed to have.

It's very likely his ship has already gone over the horizon.  I think Bobby's O would be very attractive to OK.

DeltaBoy

Gary Patterson not going anywhere; he got a new challege and that is winning the Big 12.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: BartIV on September 25, 2012, 10:45:19 am
Most big name coaches have one thing in common and that is a big ego.  It seems to me that most coaches outside of the SEC are getting sick and tired of hearing about how powerful the SEC is and the road to the National Championship runs through the SEC and in last years case, even more so.
I am thinking a big name is wanting out of his forgotten or ignored conference and wants to be where the action is, the SEC. They all have something to prove.
I think this could be a big factor in getting the coach we want and now they know you can win at Arkansas (thanks to Bobby P.), but just needs some work on recruiting.

One thing we can thank Bobby P. for is showing other coaches you can win at Arkansas.
Go Hogs, even this year I guess.
I am more worried about the Tennessee job coming open than Auburn. Auburn would be one of the worst openings possible for a coach. At Arkansas you can lose to Bama and be alright. At Auburn, if you lose a few in a row to Bama you are on the hot seat no matter how well you do otherwise. Having a job that requires you to be able to beat Saban in order to stay employed is not a dream job.

BartIV

Quote from: CallMeHog on September 25, 2012, 11:16:39 am
I am more worried about the Tennessee job coming open than Auburn. Auburn would be one of the worst openings possible for a coach. At Arkansas you can lose to Bama and be alright. At Auburn, if you lose a few in a row to Bama you are on the hot seat no matter how well you do otherwise. Having a job that requires you to be able to beat Saban in order to stay employed is not a dream job.
I agree, if the Tennessee job comes open, all bets are off. Arkansas would be in a world of hurt at that point and I can assure you Tennessee is thinking the same thing.
That was some good thinking on the Auburn job. It is too much pressure all the time, thanks to Alabama.
Where at Arkansas, you may have to play Alabama every year, most understand losing to them. They are like a NFL team as far as I am concerned.
And at Arkansas, if you can win 9 games or more every year, you are sitting pretty.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: CallMeHog on September 25, 2012, 11:16:39 am

The Arkansas and Tennessee jobs are very similar.  The past two decades have proved coaching quality is a HUGE deal at both schools.  I actually think Arkansas is more structurally sound as a program at this point, and that's a positive for the Hogs in any coaching search.  Auburn won't fire Chizik this year.   

razorjacket43

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 25, 2012, 11:08:58 am
Gary Patterson not going anywhere; he got a new challege and that is winning the Big 12.
Winning the SEC would be bigger, wouldnt it?
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

texas tush hog

texas tush hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 25, 2012, 11:08:58 am

Tend to agree for more rea$on$ than that.