Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Chavis on attitude, philosophy, scheme and goals

Started by hogfansince79, January 10, 2018, 05:08:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfansince79

I found a good article from when he was hired by aTm - Jan 8, 2015...

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2015/1/8/7500641/the-john-chavis-impact-fixing-the-aggie-defense

First, some quotes straight from Chavis himself, all from the above three links, to give you a much better idea of his attitude, philosophy, scheme and goals.

On attitude and effort:

"Scheme doesn't win, effort does...We focus in three major things for our success: fundamentals... technique... and execution."

"Pursuit... A man's value to his team can be measured by his distance from the ball when the whistle blows."

On philosophy and goals:

"To be successful, you have to play aggressive, attacking defense. That does not mean you have to blitz every down. We are going to do it by coming off the ball with our down defenders and putting pressure on the offensive line. That is the mentality of our front. Our 3-technique and our 9-technique players are going to get off the ball and penetrate. We want to play on their side of the line of scrimmage."

"The primary goal of defense is to obtain the football for the offense. The three simplest ways to obtain the football are three downs and out, cause a fumble, and take interceptions."

"We will strip at the football every opportunity that we get... We talked about turnovers earlier, but you have to have a head coach that will work with you in this aspect. You play like you practice, and it is important that we play aggressive in practice. It is important to know how to strip the football and when to do it... I thought we did a good job of stripping the ball until I went down and watched the Saints practice. It was unbelievable. There were some players on offense who did not like the way they did it in practice. However, I bet they liked the Super Bowl championship ring they got. They forced many turnovers this year, and it did not happen by accident."

"How do you force offenses into mistakes? You do it by being aggressive in your scheme. You also do it by changing your scheme. You have to do things that they do not expect you to do."

"You cannot play defense if you are not a great tackler. There has not been a single day that we have been on the field that we do not practice tackling. Even if we are in shorts, we will practice the fundamentals of tackling."

"We want to be fundamentally sound as a football team. From day one we stress fundamentals to our defense."

"We demand our technique be sound at all of our positions. No matter whether it's a defensive lineman, linebacker, or defensive back, technique will be the number one determinant of your success. Poor technique will get you beat every time."

"We don't ask out players to do a lot but we ask that they execute our schemes."

"We want to be a defense that gets an extra man in the box to make it tougher on the offense. We'll rock one of the two safeties down 70% of the time. We are a gap control defense."

On scheme:

"Our best defense is out of a 4-3 alignment. We change up our fronts quite a bit but in the end we get back to our base 4-3. Our callside end is in a 9 technique and our callside tackle is in a 3 with B-Gap responsibilities. On the backside our tackle is in a 1 technique and our end is in a 5. Our Sam and Will are in a 50 technique and our Mike is in a weak 10 Stack look. The Mike linebacker has A-Gap with flow to and has the B-Gap with flow away."

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Hoggish1

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Flrazrback

MS_HogFan

What is a 9 technique? I know 1 and 3 but never heard  of 9
SOOIE

Hayden1865

Quote from: MS_HogFan on January 10, 2018, 05:27:40 pm
What is a 9 technique? I know 1 and 3 but never heard  of 9
A 9 technique is the gap position for your speed rush defensive end. Likewise a DE playing in a 6/7 will be typically your better run stopping end on the opposing side. Obvious passing down they will both line wide.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

pghawg1

If we wrap up and tackle better, that will make us all happy.

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

26.2Hog

"We want to play on their side of the line of scrimmage."

AlmaHog2011

Listening to his interview today he sure seemed to have plenty of fire. Loved it from reading on here I half expected him to be walking with a cane and needing oxygen.

Love his staff they will recruit and loved what he said today. Might never play Bama defense but we can become salty on defense.

GoHogs1091

Chavis should be able to create a significant improvement for us in the following areas.

More pressure on the opposing QBs
Be more physical at the point-of-attack on the line-of-scrimmage
Better gap control/gap integrity
Better tackling
Better at getting off the field on 3rd Down

With our better focus on conditioning in our S&C Program, we should also be better at getting to the ball quicker.

The above first 5 areas, Chavis is going to demand and require that those areas have high-level quality of results.