Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: Hoop Hogs are 7-1, #7 RPI...what will fairweather fans complain about now?

Started by fourthcrusade, December 06, 2006, 07:40:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

With the Hogs 7-1, & the #7 RPI, what will the always-negative fairweather hoop fans complain about now?

"I miss Nolan ball" (except when we didn't made the sweet 16 - see 1997-2002; and except when we lost to American-PuertoRico, N'Western Louisiana, & Oral Roberts at home)
11 (12.4%)
"Heath's style of play is "BIG TEN" boring" (even though we average a higher # of blocks, rebounds, FT%, and 3P% than Nolan's years)
16 (18%)
today's fad insult = "Attendance is too low!" (even though yesterday was a bitterly cold TUESDAY weeknight, with the game on TV)
5 (5.6%)
"We should have hired Mike Anderson, his teams are exciting" (UAB never scored 100, scored over 90 once, and scored 37 last year; we have 100+ once, and 90+ three times)
27 (30.3%)
"I realized what a negative jerk I am being so I will be proud of the hoop hogs and take out my wrath on Nutt" (the only sane thing to whine about)
30 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 84

hogfan064

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 06, 2006, 01:24:21 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 06, 2006, 01:22:56 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 06, 2006, 01:18:55 pm
IMO Mike Anderson is a better coach than Heath and in one head to head meeting he proved it.  You can compare all the records and stats between the 2 that you want, but with at best equal talent Anderson beat Heath.   Never have I said our team is horrible or anything like that.  I just feel our program is very stale right now and is becoming nothing more than another South Carolina, that is a competetive team that plays good defense, but never accomplishes anything major.

I guess you have your standards and I have mine. But had that game been in Fayetteville, I think it would have a very different game.

I'll agree with that, but Fayetteville has always been a huge homefield advantage.  If you read all my posts about Heath my biggest concern is his road record against average to great competition.  If he wins in Mississippi last year we go 12-4 in SEC play and are likely a 5 seed or higher in the tourney.  Those 2 losses killed us.   Those kind of losses can't continue to happen.  If they do then Heath will be gone. 

I agree 1000% with that statement about the seedings, the Ole miss loss KILLED US, though i think he's still here at 10-6, because 10-6 gets us in the NCAAt

But i say 11-5 - 13-3 is the range, losing @bama and @lsu for sure

10-6 is acceptable for me this year.  I have no problem with that, but he needs to win at least 1 tourney game.  We can't continue to achieve less than what LSU and Bama achieve.  We've got to show the nation that Arkansas Basketball is back.  We showed flashes last year, but then faltered at the end.  The SEC wants us to do well because they need us to.  I just have my concerns that Heath will do it, but again I hope he does because his personality and image is great for our University.

Juicemeister

hogfan064

Quote from: hoghug on December 06, 2006, 01:26:56 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 06, 2006, 01:15:14 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 06, 2006, 01:12:33 pm
I only bring Mike Anderson up to state he outcoached Heath last week.  The only reason I even bring that up is because the author of this thread brought up Anderson.  I only care about Arkansas and I want us to win another NC just like you do, but I honestly can't see Stan Heath ever winning a NC or even a SEC CHampionship for us. If you do then that's your opinion and you have a right to it, but some of you Heath Huggers don't want others to give an opinion that isn't the same as yours.  

No, no, don't get it twisted. I don't mind people doubting Heath won't win an NC or SEC title. But I won't agree for one second when people scream "FIRE HEATH" or "we're HORRIBLE" when every statistiic says otherwise.

A lot of folks are trying to say we dont have fundamentals, we suck after 4+ years, Mike Anderson would have done better with our old style, yada yada yada... it's unintelligent nonsense that has brought out the realists on here who are gracious enough to remind you that progress IS INDEED being made.

IMO Mike Anderson is a better coach than Heath and in one head to head meeting he proved it.  You can compare all the records and stats between the 2 that you want, but with at best equal talent Anderson beat Heath.   Never have I said our team is horrible or anything like that.  I just feel our program is very stale right now and is becoming nothing more than another South Carolina, that is a competetive team that plays good defense, but never accomplishes anything major.

So one head to head meeting PROVEd that Anderson is better than heath?  Well, I guess since Sylvester Croom is 1-1 against Urban Meyer that he is an equal coach?  THat makes no sense.

Urban Meyer's never lost to Croom.  That was Ron Zook and it got him fired. Myer beat Croom 35-9 last year. 

fourthcrusade

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 06, 2006, 01:29:50 pm10-6 is acceptable for me this year.  I have no problem with that, but he needs to win at least 1 tourney game.  We can't continue to achieve less than what LSU and Bama achieve.  We've got to show the nation that Arkansas Basketball is back.  We showed flashes last year, but then faltered at the end.  The SEC wants us to do well because they need us to.  I just have my concerns that Heath will do it, but again I hope he does because his personality and image is great for our University.

Now THAT is something this stubborn poster can agree with wholeheartedly.  We 'need' to be back, and the sec NEEDS a counter to KEntucky, or florida, or even tennessee...  bama and lsu are 'newcomers' to bball success (yes they had a few postseason runs in the 80s and early 90s but nothing to write home about), and don't have the tradition, traveling fan base, etc.  I hope so, too.

hoghug

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 06, 2006, 01:33:51 pm
I only bring Mike Anderson up to state he outcoached Heath last week.  The only reason I even bring that up is because the author of this thread brought up Anderson.  I only care about Arkansas and I want us to win another NC just like you do, but I honestly can't see Stan Heath ever winning a NC or even a SEC CHampionship for us. If you do then that's your opinion and you have a right to it, but some of you Heath Huggers don't want others to give an opinion that isn't the same as yours.  

No, no, don't get it twisted. I don't mind people doubting Heath won't win an NC or SEC title. But I won't agree for one second when people scream "FIRE HEATH" or "we're HORRIBLE" when every statistiic says otherwise.

A lot of folks are trying to say we dont have fundamentals, we suck after 4+ years, Mike Anderson would have done better with our old style, yada yada yada... it's unintelligent nonsense that has brought out the realists on here who are gracious enough to remind you that progress IS INDEED being made.

IMO Mike Anderson is a better coach than Heath and in one head to head meeting he proved it.  You can compare all the records and stats between the 2 that you want, but with at best equal talent Anderson beat Heath.   Never have I said our team is horrible or anything like that.  I just feel our program is very stale right now and is becoming nothing more than another South Carolina, that is a competetive team that plays good defense, but never accomplishes anything major.

So one head to head meeting PROVEd that Anderson is better than heath?  Well, I guess since Sylvester Croom is 1-1 against Urban Meyer that he is an equal coach?  THat makes no sense.

Urban Meyer's never lost to Croom.  That was Ron Zook and it got him fired. Myer beat Croom 35-9 last year. 

Was this Crooms 3rd year at MSU?  If so, my bad.  

As for the argument about head to head though, is Nutt a btter coach than Mack Brown.  I believe Nutt is 2-1 against Brown at Texas.

hogfan064

Quote from: hoghug on December 06, 2006, 01:36:55 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on December 06, 2006, 01:33:51 pm

Was this Crooms 3rd year at MSU?  If so, my bad.  

As for the argument about head to head though, is Nutt a btter coach than Mack Brown.  I believe Nutt is 2-1 against Brown at Texas.

Urban is 1-0 against Croom. 

When all things are equal in coaching you go to head to head.  If you compare their career records and career achievements Heath and Anderson are about equal, but Anderson won the head to head. 

Buff

what's sad is that, even when i ignore a user, i still have to see his topics popping up.

tbhogfan

From 1977 to 2001, we failed to make the NCAA Tournament how many times?  We made the Final 4 how many times?  We made the final game how many times?

Now we are supposed to be happy just getting to the tournament?  Just bowing out to Bucknell in the first round?

I like Stan.  I think he is a fine man, and if my kids were 7-0, he is the kind of person I would want them to be around and play for.

I think that the Arkansas Tradition demands more than what we have seen so far,
Go Hogs!

Jimbo

Nutt said he loves that jersey. Maybe he can coach us to the Final Four.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: tbhogfan on December 06, 2006, 01:43:07 pm
From 1977 to 2001, we failed to make the NCAA Tournament how many times?  We made the Final 4 how many times?  We made the final game how many times?

Now we are supposed to be happy just getting to the tournament?  Just bowing out to Bucknell in the first round?

I like Stan.  I think he is a fine man, and if my kids were 7-0, he is the kind of person I would want them to be around and play for.

I think that the Arkansas Tradition demands more than what we have seen so far,

NO NCAA NOLAN:
2000* (ok, we won the sect & we made it but you have to admit at 14-15 had we lost any sect games we were out)

NO NCAA STAN:

SO, nolan had his "no go years" at the BEGINNING and the END, and stan had his at the BEGINNING.
Seems pretty normal for college basketball, really.

1& DONE NCAAS (lose in first round)

2ND ROUND (no sweet 16s)

Hmmm... so by my count, out of the years you asked, we either didn't go, 1&done, or 1-1'ed it more often than not.

Yes 4 final fours in 25 years is awesome.  But to think stan is the first guy to miss the tourney? you're crazy.  it took nolan a bad year, an nit year, an ncaa 1&done year, an ncaa 2nd round year, THEN the ncaa final four.        stan had the 'cupboard is bare thanks alot year', a bad year, an nit year, & a ncaa 1&done year.

STAN IS FOLLOWING THE NOLAN PATTERN PERFECTLY< HE JUST HAS TAKEN 1 MORE YEAR (the 9 win season) DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE GOMEZ REIGN.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Jimbo on December 06, 2006, 01:43:57 pm
Nutt said he loves that jersey. Maybe he can coach us to the Final Four.

He might, but then he would pull Patrick Beverley and sit him on the bench for 10 games.