Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something's not right in this Mallett deal.

Started by Porkyswine, January 06, 2008, 10:45:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkyswine

January 06, 2008, 10:45:38 pm Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:49:06 pm by Porkyswine
So, if it's now between UCLA (Loeffler) and Tennessee, did Petrino say no?  I've always heard how bad he wanted to be a hog, and I just can't see how he wouldn't now.  The only thing I can think is that he called Petrino, and Bobby said "not interested".  I can't imagine turning away a 5 star QB.....?????  Anyone have more on this?

hawgtime

i have no insider knowledge but maybe coach P was afraid that just having Mallet on campus waiting to be eligible would drive off any other QB recruits this year and next and the year after?  unless they are full of themselves, even 5* QBs don't like the competition.  look at why Mallet supposedly didn't come to AR in the first place.

would it be better to get Mallet for 1 1/2 years from know or pull in some great QBs next year?

usnavyhogfan

i too cant imagine petrino saying no. hopefully it pans out and he comes to the u of a
The dream is free, the journey is not.

SquidBilly

Petrino quickly signed Wilson and kept Youngblood committed.  There are already a lot of QBs on scholarship so as strange as it may sound he may not have wanted to use a scholarship on a QB that could not come in and contribute next year.  2009 will be his first year to play for us and by then both Wilson and Youngblood will have a year under their belts.  Not to mention that Mallett could play for us in 09 and then go pro if he wanted to.  Then either Wilson or Youngblood, or both may have transferred out to another school for playing time and then where would that leave us?

ThisLittlePiggie

hawgwash

If he transferred for the spring semester could he participate in spring practice with his new team?

Oklahawg

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on January 06, 2008, 10:52:02 pm
Maybe BP is trying to recruit Pryor. ;)

I love it. When in the past 25 years would we think it was plausible?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgtime

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 06, 2008, 10:51:48 pm
Petrino quickly signed Wilson and kept Youngblood committed.  There are already a lot of QBs on scholarship so as strange as it may sound he may not have wanted to use a scholarship on a QB that could not come in and contribute next year.  2009 will be his first year to play for us and by then both Wilson and Youngblood will have a year under their belts.  Not to mention that Mallett could play for us in 09 and then go pro if he wanted to.  Then either Wilson or Youngblood, or both may have transferred out to another school for playing time and then where would that leave us?

that is what i was trying to say.  a chance at some nice QBs next year or wait until 2009 to use Mallett, if he were to beat out the current and future QBs.

75_zebra

Is it possible RM doesn't want to be at the U of A?

COCHISE

January 06, 2008, 11:00:33 pm #9 Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:02:56 pm by 870 RZR
It could be a vote of confidence and good will gesture toward Youngblood and Wilson not to go out and push for Mallett's transfer to Arkansas.

linze82

smite me bishes

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Porkyswine on January 06, 2008, 10:45:38 pm
So, if it's now between UCLA (Loeffler) and Tennessee, did Petrino say no?  I've always heard how bad he wanted to be a hog, and I just can't see how he wouldn't now.  The only thing I can think is that he called Petrino, and Bobby said "not interested".  I can't imagine turning away a 5 star QB.....?????  Anyone have more on this?

What is your source for believing Ryan has narrowed it down to these two schools?

The Boar War

January 06, 2008, 11:14:05 pm #12 Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:16:42 pm by The Boar War

Where did you hear it was between UCLA and Tennessee?  The only reason these schools were being considered yesterday is because they were both in the running for Loeffler.  If Loeffler was hired by UCLA I expect to see Tenn out of the running.

Also I dont see Petrino telling a 5 star qb with BCS conference experience no because it might frighten off an unproven recruit.

Here's another question:  Did Petrino recruit Mallet the first time?  Maybe there's some kind of history there that we don't know about.

Demaghog

Where are you hearing this?  I don't think anybody really knows anything yet. 

People were reporting that he was going to announce yesterday that he was transferring to UCLA.  Obviously that didn't happen.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 06, 2008, 10:54:26 pm
I love it. When in the past 25 years would we think it was plausible?

and it still isn't.  Pryor will not consider Arkansas.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hawgballz

I believe you are either assuming too much or just jumping the gun.  Mallett has not asked for or been granted his release yet from Michigan, so at this point his transfer options are a mute point.  He first has to decide if he wants to leave Michigan.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Sao Ming

Check this out.  Did you know while in Florida for U-M's appearance in the Capital One Bowl, Loeffler interviewed with Tennessee head coach Phil Fulmer, who was in Tampa Bay for the Outback Bowl?

Fulmer is sly but he's also stacked with QB's.  Interesting.

SquidBilly

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 06, 2008, 11:00:33 pm
It could be a vote of confidence and good will gesture toward Youngblood and Wilson not to go out and push for Mallett's transfer to Arkansas.

Or it could be Mallett seeing that these two guys have committed to us and wanting to go somewhere else.  We are all just assuming that Mallett will come in and start for us in 09 but that may well not be the case.  If Youngblood or Wilson come in next year and win the starting job then would the position be open for competition in 09?  Or what if Nathan Dick wins the starting job?  Would Petrino really sit next year's starter in 09 so that Mallett could start?  I'm throwing out all of these questions based on my belief that Casey will not be starting next year.  If he does then all of my questions don't apply because 09 would then be open competition for the starting job.

userpick

MinowBucket

Why even ask this question? You ask it like there is something to it. When did RM narrow his choices down to two schools? and why would you even ask if BP turned him down. This is laughable!!!!  Ridiculous!!!  Nothing to this at all!!!

Porkyswine

I've read the same blogs and message boards you guys have.  Most of them have their "sources" that say it was between Tenn and UCLA.  Loeffler was a big reason.  Several UM boards are saying the same thing.  You can google it and find it all over.  I'm not saying we're out, but where there is smoke........Who knows?  One thing I feel sure of is that he ain't skeered of Yongblood and Wilson.  This guy QB'd and won for one of the top programs in America -- on national TV several times!  Take him and let's let the chips fall where they may.

Porkyswine

Quote from: MinowBucket on January 06, 2008, 11:38:21 pm
Why even ask this question? You ask it like there is something to it. When did RM narrow his choices down to two schools? and why would you even ask if BP turned him down. This is laughable!!!!  Ridiculous!!!  Nothing to this at all!!!
Why?  Because I felt like asking it.  Why do you ask questions?  I'm not saying there is something to it other than none of it ads up to me.  After the bowl game, I figured he'd announce he was transfering here on Thurs/Fri.

I'll make sure I IM you next time and ask your permission to ask a question.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hawianiceman on January 06, 2008, 11:41:15 pm
Its being posted on other boards and Michigan boards that Mallet has resigned for all this classes. His registered for Spring Sem.

its a bunch of hogwash

Well duh...it's free for him too he's not paying.  Wouldn't you hedge your bet if it didn't cost you a cent?

hogsanity

Quote from: Sao Ming on January 06, 2008, 11:43:16 pm
Well duh...it's free for him too he's not paying.  Wouldn't you hedge your bet if it didn't cost you a cent?

If I were Mallett, I would take my spring classes, see who Mich signs on signing day, then make my decision.  Since he would not play next year, if he transfers, being at a new school for spring practice would really be of no benefit.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hawianiceman on January 06, 2008, 11:46:05 pm
If it make you feel any better, Mustain also registered for classes last semester. Remember who he waited till spring to announce he'll be going to USC.

How does that factor

Sao Ming

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2008, 11:48:12 pm
If I were Mallett, I would take my spring classes, see who Mich signs on signing day, then make my decision.  Since he would not play next year, if he transfers, being at a new school for spring practice would really be of no benefit.

No brainer isn't it?

hawgwash

I disagree.  I think being able to participate in spring practice this year with his new team (assuming he transfers) would be a big advantage.  Especially at a school like Arkansas with a new head coach and a very different offensive system.  He learns it the same time as the other current players, and ahead of the two QBs coming in next fall with whom he will compete in 2009.

Demaghog

January 06, 2008, 11:56:03 pm #27 Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:59:07 pm by Demaghog
The article in the Texarkana Gazette made it sound like RRod didn't really care if Mallett stayed

I think RRod would gladly switch out Mallett for Pryor.  RRod probably wants Mallett to leave, since it would greatly enhance his chances of getting Pryor.  Why would he want to stay in a situation like that?

MinowBucket

I like asking questions that have no basis whatsoever? Just make up stuff and ask it. That's funny!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgwash on January 06, 2008, 11:52:47 pm
I disagree.  I think being able to participate in spring practice this year with his new team (assuming he transfers) would be a big advantage.  Especially at a school like Arkansas with a new head coach and a very different offensive system.  He learns it the same time as the other current players, and ahead of the two QBs coming in next fall with whom he will compete in 2009.

Does not matter.  1st, BP has to give the vast majority of spring reps to guys who might actually play in 2008.  Casey and Nathan, and maybe even Chaison.  Then, at best, Mallett runs scout team for the 2008 season.  Plus, if Mallett is here, it runs the risk of running either Wilson or Youngblood ( maybe both ) to MLB.  they will both get drafted. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tiber

The deal w/ Youngblood and Wilson is not unique.  Any school RM goes to will have previously committed players as well... and likely highly touted ones.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Hawianiceman on January 07, 2008, 01:21:46 am
Yes, but I was saying "if it makes you feel any better" Mustain also registered for classes but ended up leaving. So Mallet might still leave UM even though.......................

My bad.  Missed that one.

VRaptor

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 06, 2008, 11:22:32 pm
Or it could be Mallett seeing that these two guys have committed to us and wanting to go somewhere else.  We are all just assuming that Mallett will come in and start for us in 09 but that may well not be the case.  If Youngblood or Wilson come in next year and win the starting job then would the position be open for competition in 09?  Or what if Nathan Dick wins the starting job?  Would Petrino really sit next year's starter in 09 so that Mallett could start?  I'm throwing out all of these questions based on my belief that Casey will not be starting next year.  If he does then all of my questions don't apply because 09 would then be open competition for the starting job.

The position is always up for competition just as any other is if you have a good head coach. I believe Petrino is a good coach. Mallett wil have to weigh his options and make the choice that is in his best interest. It looks like the Hogs are going to be in good shape either way.

markmchog

Good point about seeing who Rodriguez signs. He could also go through spring practice with Michigan to see if he fits the offense or not instead of speculating.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776

MuskogeeHogFan

If BP didn't roll out the red carpet for Mallett then BP has something up his sleeve. We have secured verbals from two kids that everybody said we just had to have.....Arkansas products. Now everyone is clamoring for Mallett as well? We also have a kid on the roster(Chaisson) that was the #24 or #25 ranked Dual Threat QB in the country when he came in and I have heard that he has been moved to Flanker by the old regime? As a dual threat QB he didn't fit HDN's system(minimal passing and hander offers only), but he may fit BP's quite well at 6'3" and probably 190 by now and probably 200 lbs by the Fall. And, we never know who else BP may have his eye on. Would Mallett be good? I am sure he would. But I assure you this is the first year in about 10 that we aren't just flying by the seat of our pants and there is, I am sure, and actual plan in place. If we got Mallett that would be great. If we don't, we'll be ok. I will have confidence in BP until I am given reason not to have confidence.
Go Hogs Go!

schmeck

Tennessee currently does not have any QB commitments for the current signing class - this could be appealing to RM in that the current QB's on campus will use an additional year of eligibility while he redshirts, then he'd be ready to step in...

UCLA currently has one 4-star QB commit, three 4-star WR commits, and two 4-star RB commits.  If you see the talent that UCLA is mustering, this too could be very appealing.  You could see a very bright future with all the influx of prime recruits hitting campus next fall...

...that being said, UofA is still very attractive in that we too have several highly touted WR's committed to BP.  Adams and Boyd could make this even more appealing.  I'd hate to lose out on Mallet if he really wants to be a Hog, but I'd also hate to lose out on Wilson and Youngblood.  In perspective, I think the future is getting brighter either way.  My question is would we even be having this debate if Hooten was still at the helm? I think not.  These QB's would not even concider the UofA (with the exception of Youngblood).  Hell even I could hand the ball off 50 times per contest.  Hey Hooten, put me in!!! I admit I can't throw a tight spiral, and probably can't get it to the recievers either, but that's not important to you anyways....LOL.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

The real Hogules

No one knows for sure what Ryan Mallett is going to do, maybe not even R.M. at this time.

While it's probably true that Ryan Mallett did sign up for Spring classes at Michigan, that hardly means he's going to stay there for the next 2-3 years.

As I posted on a UM board, maybe Ryan Mallett is pissed about Carr refusing to release him last year, so he's going to hang out at UM until after February 6th (N.S.D.) so that his presence will discourage Pryor from signing with the Wolverines and once Pryor has inked with Ohio State, then Ryan Mallett will think that his work at Michigan is complete and then make the move to his new school.  ;)

At this point anything is possible.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

schmeck

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 07, 2008, 08:27:04 am
No one knows for sure what Ryan Mallett is going to do, maybe not even R.M. at this time.

While it's probably true that Ryan Mallett did sign up for Spring classes at Michigan, that hardly means he's going to stay there for the next 2-3 years.

As I posted on a UM board, maybe Ryan Mallett is pissed about Carr refusing to release him last year, so he's going to hang out at UM until after February 6th (N.S.D.) so that his presence will discourage Pryor from signing with the Wolverines and once Pryor has inked with Ohio State, then Ryan Mallett will think that his work at Michigan is complete and then make the move to his new school.  ;)

At this point anything is possible.

Nice point, but will anybody have a schollie still availible after National Signing Day???  Not sure he wants to risk that if he really wants out of Ann Arbor.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

The real Hogules

Quote from: schmeck on January 07, 2008, 08:35:30 am

Nice point, but will anybody have a schollie still availible after National Signing Day???  Not sure he wants to risk that if he really wants out of Ann Arbor.

I actually was just messing with the UM fans, but if Ryan Mallett decided to transfer he's one of those athletes that you just find a scholarship for no matter what.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Houston h

Quote from: schmeck on January 07, 2008, 08:35:30 am

A school would cut a bench rider to make room for a 5 star qb

wholehog92

Quote from: Houston h on January 07, 2008, 09:02:37 am
A school would cut a bench rider to make room for a 5 star qb

Some schools will leave a schollie open.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 07, 2008, 10:07:29 am
Some schools will leave a schollie open.

Some schools will have a schollie open because the ex coaches son in law will know longer be the back-up QB.

wilbur

Pete Carroll told Mustain to stay put and do nothing until after signing date.  It's only natural.  If Mallett is going to come to Arkansas...he has been told to wait until after signing date.  That way there are no recruiting casualties in the qb position.  However, a Mallett announcement might entice a few wrs. 

Regardless, Mallett will probably not announce anything until after signing date.
Last year, Planned Parent was responsible for "terminating" the lives of 90,000 black babies.  How many black babies did the Confederate flag kill?

Ineptocracy:

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Dugann

Like I said before, I don't think mallett would be a good fit right now at the u of a because of timing, and the way it all has come to pass.  I would and would have loved to have him before.  But with wilson and youngblood not to mention ND, there just is not enough room.  He would have to set out a year then you got wilson or youngblood or even dick that might be the starter  with 1 year under their belt, then mallett able to play in 09 then you have a mess.  I just do not see a way that it works out in the best intrest of mallett and the u of a. 
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

EastexHawg

I absolutely, positively cannot see Ryan Mallett running away from competing with Nathan Dick, Tyler Wilson, or Jim Youngblood. 

Good grief.

Hogdomer

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 07, 2008, 04:20:01 pm
I absolutely, positively cannot see Ryan Mallett running away from competing with Nathan Dick, Tyler Wilson, or Jim Youngblood. 

Good grief.

No kidding.  This guy (Mallett) is incredible.  He started at Michigan as a true freshman.  He has a cannon and great size.

If he came here, he would be the starter the first day he is eligible to play.

cdhogfan

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 07, 2008, 04:25:10 pm
No kidding.  This guy (Mallett) is incredible.  He started at Michigan as a true freshman.  He has a cannon and great size.

If he came here, he would be the starter the first day he is eligible to play.

He started because of injury, but he is still incredible.

SquidBilly

So do any of you think it would be fair to start Nathan, Tyler, or Jim next year and then in 09 tell them sorry you are 2nd string because we have Mallett now?   

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 07, 2008, 04:57:06 pm
So do any of you think it would be fair to start Nathan, Tyler, or Jim next year and then in 09 tell them sorry you are 2nd string because we have Mallett now?   

Yes, if he beats them out for the starting job.  The best player should be the starter, not just the guy who was here the previous year.

Houston shouldn't you be posting on Ole Miss boards?  ;)