Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 05:22:24 pm

Wally Hall today...

Started by bjbuatamu, March 06, 2018, 08:04:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bjbuatamu

The team is called for so many fouls because they are so poorly coached in fundamental skills. 

The seven seniors often play like high school freshmen when it comes to fundamentals.

Am I the only one who notices that opposing players are left wide open while our players are just standing there?  How we foul 20 and 30 feet from the basket?  How many second chance shots opponents take? 

And for a real eye-opener, observe the assistant coaches during the games and during the time outs.  That huddle is a mess. 

Surely Yurachek, being a former basketball players, sees how poorly run our program is.

It's shocking that Anderson has never had a losing record.  So maybe I'm the dumb one here, but we sure don't look like the elite programs on the court.

Go Hogs!  I hope they at least put us in Dallas for the first round.

The real Hogules

What about Wally Hall? If you're quoting something that Hall allegedly said, then put it in quotation marks.  I read the title and came in here to see what was up with Wally Hall and found nothing but your opinions on our basketball teams lack of fundamentals and poor defense (which I'm not disputing). Did Wally agree with your assertions on our basketball team?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ridgehog88

Don't doubt some of that, but that just Wall-E trying to be a tough guy.

labb

How about a link to that article. I have read two of Small's today and did not see that....It is great how so many think they are great coaches, much better than Anderson...Makes me think of Jimmy Dykes. Been around basketball all of his life and if you listen to him talk he really knows the game..Proved he couldn't coach a lick.

Dirty

HawgsPolo

Well if the program is run so poorly what would you call it prior to MA's arrival? Trash x2
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Quote from: ridgehog88 on March 06, 2018, 08:23:01 am
Don't doubt some of that, but that just Wall-E trying to be a tough guy.
Wally didn't say anything in the OP. That's his opinion. Wally's article was more quoting numbers.

BrooklynRoss

I stopped paying attention to Wally Hall about the same time I took my first journalism class.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

BannerMountainMan

So I'm confused. Did Wally hall say what was in the post?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

ridgehog88

Quote from: Karma on March 06, 2018, 08:48:01 am
Wally didn't say anything in the OP. That's his opinion. Wally's article was more quoting numbers.
I try to make it a point not to read his stuff.  Most of his articles are like reading the social page in a small town newspaper and the rest, if sports related, I usually disagree with his point. 

raz1965

Wally Hall's articles  means about as little as the posts on hogville.

GA reddiehog

Don't know if it is quote or not, but it is the truth.

BoarnSupremacy

And for a real eye-opener, observe the assistant coaches during the games and during the time outs.  That huddle is a mess. 

There is zero effort from Mikes assistants.  I have seen that for 2 years

SPAL

I doubt Wally said any of this.

Wild Bill Hog

I doubt Wally knows what he said.

mhuff

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 06, 2018, 06:29:55 pm

You can't have more than one person talking during a timeout. You have limited time and the coach is trying to get across what he wants done. I'm sure unless told otherwise coaches are told to keep their mouths shut.

5ACentral

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on March 06, 2018, 06:29:55 pm

You are SO correct. Nothing in the way of coaching, just sitting there making a lot of money because of MA's generosity. Sickening.  He NEEDS assistants who contribute to a game plan. I do not see that now.

5ACentral

Quote from: mhuff on March 06, 2018, 07:48:44 pm
You can't have more than one person talking during a timeout. You have limited time and the coach is trying to get across what he wants done. I'm sure unless told otherwise coaches are told to keep their mouths shut.
Wrong! You contribute on the " sides " before and after the team huddle. You should know that.

5ACentral

Quote from: HawgsPolo on March 06, 2018, 08:47:18 am
Well if the program is run so poorly what would you call it prior to MA's arrival? Trash x2
Yes, thanks to Mr. AD Long... He was not involved with coaches per se and did not offer observational advice. He just raised money from "big time" donors and look what we have now! Donors are giving less money or dropping out like I did after 49 years as a donor.. Ain't worth the hassle any more. Let 'em play on.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on March 06, 2018, 09:23:23 am
I stopped paying attention to Wally Hall about the same time I took my first journalism class.

Agree.
Did he refer to the Hogs as the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville?
You know, because we wouldn't have a clue who the Dem-Gazette was referring to if they just said UofA.
Of course, I still don't know which school in Alabama the Dem-Gazette is referring to in their articles. Is it Ala-Birmingham, Alabama-Huntsville, Alabama-Tuscaloosa? Or what about Texas a&m...College Station, Commerce, Kingsville?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoglady

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/mar/06/decide-what-s-fair-when-there-s-too-man/

Here's Wally's article - which is bashing SEC officiating not  MA or the Hogs.

"An observer will see out-of-position referees, sometimes completely blocked out of the line of vision, make a call they obviously thought was going to happen."

"All things considered, it doesn't appear the referees hate the Razorbacks, but the Hogs do foul more on the road than at home. That's odd because Anderson, like Nolan Richardson, is a little more conservative on defense on the road, choosing not to trap and press as much.

However, when the referees stop the game for a total of 48 free throws like those guys did Saturday in Columbia, Mo., it completely changes the flow of the game.

Add all the replays -- which conclusively prove the referees make a lot of mistakes or aren't sure -- and the Fastest 40 becomes half-court basketball.

Perhaps it is time the SEC, or the NCAA if necessary, gives the game back to the players, coaches and fans by penalizing the officials for bad calls."

"Maybe the officials should be reviewed at the half by the SEC observer in Birmingham. On Saturday, Missouri's defense was just as aggressive as Arkansas', yet the Tigers were whistled for nine fewer fouls."
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

golfinpig

Quote from: mhuff on March 06, 2018, 07:48:44 pm
Wouldn't want them to interrupt MA's words of wisdom like when he told the team " they punkin' you"

Dominicanhog

elksnort

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 06, 2018, 08:20:06 am
What about Wally Hall? If you're quoting something that Hall allegedly said, then put it in quotation marks.  I read the title and came in here to see what was up with Wally Hall and found nothing but your opinions on our basketball teams lack of fundamentals and poor defense (which I'm not disputing). Did Wally agree with your assertions on our basketball team?
Absolutely agree. Did Wally say this?

elksnort

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 06, 2018, 06:34:11 pm
I doubt Wally said any of this.
Not unless it is imminent that CMA is going to be fired.

cram224

As the Black Crows song goes "Keep Your Hands To Yourself". We might get called for less fouls.

HoopS

I honestly would love to see how some folks would run a team. I'm sure the fundamentals and IQ would just ooze off those players. They'd all hit 90%+ from the FT. Offensive boards for the other team would disappear. We'd still be getting good looks from three but the other team wouldn't get an open look inside of 35 feet. No fouls by that team either. We'd run the Princeton offense better than they ever did but it wouldn't be boring because we'd still average 85 a game. Or better. I bet Wally could lead us to many national titles. Many. In all sports.

DeltaBoy

Wally needs to retire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

WALLY DID NOT SAY THIS!!

The OP was responding to Wally's column about the poor SEC officiating.
I've linked Wally's article in an above post.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

makiavelli

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 07, 2018, 02:26:49 pm
Wally needs to retire.

I'll chip in on a gofundme for this. Thats valuable front page paper space going to waste
Wally Hall is an angry lil guy

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 5ACentral on March 06, 2018, 08:55:47 pm
Yes, thanks to Mr. AD Long... He was not involved with coaches per se and did not offer observational advice. He just raised money from "big time" donors and look what we have now! Donors are giving less money or dropping out like I did after 49 years as a donor.. Ain't worth the hassle any more. Let 'em play on.

I am sure you laid down the big bucks...

PRJ

Inhogswetrust

If they actually did start to penalize officials for bad calls there wouldn't be enough good officials to call any game halfway decent. Officiating would actually get worse imho.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi