Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No tresspassing & Keep out signs

Started by MJ2, April 16, 2014, 03:30:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

Anyone know the rules regarding private land and Keep Out or No Trespassing signage?   If you post it prominantly and someone violates it, what can you legally do in the state of AR?   Have them arrested?  Shoot on sight?  What?

Ragnar Hogbrok

Don't shoot them unless they are a threat to you or your family.  Calling a game warden gets them off your land pretty quickly.  The sheriff would be one to call as well.

That being said, I believe that any fenced in property is considered posted regardless of whether or not it is marked.  You can also post the property with "Posted" and "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" etc signs on the property boundaries with or without a fence.  Also, purple posting paint on trees, rocks, fence posts, etc, serve as "no trespass/private property markinga in the state of Arkansas.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

ifghog

If you see one don't cross it. That is the best way to go....

PharmacistHog

Call the sheriff, because if push comes to shove the wardens are gonna call the sheriff. Cut out the middleman.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Just call the United States Govt.  Tell them there is a trespasser on your land that may be running his cattle on it, his truck has Nevada license plates.....you believe his name is Bundy.... 

30 or 40 federal agents with automatic weapons should show up quickly & take care of the trespasser...... :)

*Warning*
(If you have cattle or family members on the property....disregard all of the above)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

Purple Paint rules the day in Arkansas.  Call the Law, and take pictures or video of them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MJ2

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 17, 2014, 09:31:04 am
Purple Paint rules the day in Arkansas.  Call the Law, and take pictures or video of them.

Thanks.   There is purple paint and partial fencing but no signs yet.   Just curious if there will be any "teeth" in putting up signs or are they just there to be ignored.

SemperHawg

What about the landowners on certain rivers and streams in NWA?  For example on the Kings river from Marshall Ford all the way down to Rock House there are "posted no camping" signs on all of the gravel bars.  I always thought that as long as you are with in 15 feet of the flood plain, rivers are public access.

DOGALUM

I've always understood the purple paint to mean "DOGALUM and family welcome to hunt". 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 17, 2014, 01:14:43 pm

I've always understood the purple paint to mean "DOGALUM and family welcome to hunt".

Lol...yeah, believe you may have something there.  Purple also means the same thing for the Smith's, the Jones, etc.

Must be true what I heard about trespassers.......most are color blind.  The color Purple looks Green to them.....think it means the same thing as a traffic light.....

twistitup

Quote from: SemperHawg on April 17, 2014, 01:04:41 pm
What about the landowners on certain rivers and streams in NWA?  For example on the Kings river from Marshall Ford all the way down to Rock House there are "posted no camping" signs on all of the gravel bars.  I always thought that as long as you are with in 15 feet of the flood plain, rivers are public access.

This is true.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Albert Einswine

Not sure about the law in Arkansas but in the past couple of years I've learned about riparian rights on navigable waterways while fishing in Michigan and West Virginia. If the stream is navigable in Michigan you are free to boat and fish it, also to anchor and fish, but a landowner's property extends to the center of the streambed and you are tresspassing if wading without express permission from the landowner. In West Virginia as long as the stream is considered navigable you can wade the stream without being in tresspass as long as your feet don't hit dry ground. I imagine there are about as many laws governing riparian rights as there are states. 
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

twistitup

Corps of Eng allows 20' on banks of lakes controlled by them. No landowner owns the actual shore if I'm not mistaken - this includes upper white river area of Beaver Lake

arkmark

You would be generally correct on the land ownership on the White downstream from the Beaver dam.  However, there are some small areas where the Corps line was drawn that later flooded with a higher water point than expected and owners of those properties have no Corps line to deal with.  They maintain, in some cases a lawn right down to the water line.  They cannot extend a boat dock or anything else into the water.

Southerneyes

My grandparents own land on Kings and the landowner owns land to middle of river but doesn't own the water....so landowner can keep u from camping on their land.

pigture perfect

My problem with the purple paint is that  anyone can put it on trees and make it seem like the land is private while it is not. People have tried that on property belonging to a friend who allows me to hunt. When they were confronted they denied it, but we caught them trying to retrieve their deer stands, which we had already cleared.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Spikes

Had a older man trespassing this past yr on my land NE Arkansas. Called the sheriff first, than the game warder. Took them about 4 months, but they finally caught the guy.

Caught him with 4 illegal deer and was hunting with a gun( he was a felon)...  Always call the sheriff first like most poster have said.  Kinda gets me mad just thinking about how many animals this individuals killed over the yrs on my land >:( >:( :puke:
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

MJ2

Quote from: Spikes on April 21, 2014, 05:44:07 pm
Had a older man trespassing this past yr on my land NE Arkansas. Called the sheriff first, than the game warder. Took them about 4 months, but they finally caught the guy.

Caught him with 4 illegal deer and was hunting with a gun( he was a felon)...  Always call the sheriff first like most poster have said.  Kinda gets me mad just thinking about how many animals this individuals killed over the yrs on my land >:( >:( :puke:

Thanks.   I suspect the same is happening on my land too.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Or you and yourkin could read the Army Infantry FM concerning the proper workings of an L-Shaped ambush.

Sorry.  I'm on pain meds post surgery.  I'm having the time of my life.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

twistitup

Quote from: MJ2 on April 22, 2014, 03:55:34 pm
Thanks.   I suspect the same is happening on my land too.

It happening everywhere...put up elevated game cams and get their pics. Send the pics to the county folks to take care of. I've confronted them in the past, but it's a very tense situation between armed people - not good.

Wayne Watson

See http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/HuntingRegulations.aspx#Hunting%20Private%20Property

and

www.agfc.com/resources/GuidebookDocs/hunt_p18-29.pdf
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

We have several issues over the years  Trail Cameras are great and the Sheriff and DA love pictures or movies of them trespassing etc.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: twistitup on April 23, 2014, 05:02:42 am

It happening everywhere...put up elevated game cams and get their pics. Send the pics to the county folks to take care of. I've confronted them in the past, but it's a very tense situation between armed people - not good.

Good advice, Twistitup.   Good to see poachers caught & arrested, but not worth getting shot over, or ending up in court with worse potential problems for the landowner.  Let the law officers handle things with game cam pics of the poachers or license plates.

root_hawg

Small caliber arms to their arse usually keeps them off as well

RazorBassin

Tack strips where they park would work.  Someone that has to replace 2-4 tires after trespassing a couple of times would think twice about a return the third time.  Just don't forget the tack strips are there.

HogBreath

Had a older man trespassing this past yr
Caught him with 4 illegal deer and was hunting with a gun( he was a felon)... 
Sounds like the old dude musta been a purdy good hunter...a crack shot.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogBreath on May 13, 2014, 11:03:29 am
Sounds like the old dude musta been a purdy good hunter...a crack shot.

Yep I grew up with a guy who filled his tags every year with a old Stevens 410 pump gun.

beebefootballfan

Couple of options.

1st offense, sneak into woods scream "what the heck are you doing on my land" and fire off 10 rounds into the ground. 

2nd offense, while they are hunting shoot their tires, and bust out every window on the vehicle.

3rd offense, set truck on fire.

Key is never letting the guy see you at work.  When he calls the cops run down and say I heard some shots and wanted to see who was trespassing on my land, and notify the officer that the guy does not have permission to be on your property and you would like to press charges.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

HogBreath

That was a lot of venison, wonder if he was working in supply procurement for that tamale stand in Pangburn?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogBreath on May 19, 2014, 05:22:16 am
That was a lot of venison, wonder if he was working in supply procurement for that tamale stand in Pangburn?

Yep maybe he was their supplier.

beebefootballfan

or you could go with this, NSFW as he drops a few bombs out of anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7pCILPInb4#t=32
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

razorbacker3

Purple paint is the color selected to post UNENCLOSED TIMBER LAND only.
This law went into effect in the early 80's.
Since then it has morphed into being used to post cropland, lakes rivers, anything and everything. The bottom line is that you must have written permission to hunt on property that is not yours. You don't have to have it in writing if the landowners say so but if your caught on another's land without it, you can be arrested.

1highhog

On our property we put up signs as well as purple paint every 100', so yes, you can't help but know you're stepping onto private land since the signs and paint alternate.  We have went to great lengths over the past 6 years to keep people from pillaging our land.  First, we'd just see them, and be all nice and tell them we bought the land and they would go supposedly away, yeah, that worked out well, ::) Then we started getting a little more aggressive with them, telling them we may have to report them to the law, same results.
The last two years we have caught two guys, held them, took their picture, also of their ride, called the local Sheriff, and had them arrested.  That seems to work the best, but it's also a little risky we know, but that's what the Sheriff told us to do and he just happens to live next to my son-in-law and gets there very quickly when called.  We have 405 acres over close to Mena.

twistitup

Quote from: 1highhog on May 23, 2014, 03:44:14 pm
On our property we put up signs as well as purple paint every 100', so yes, you can't help but know you're stepping onto private land since the signs and paint alternate.  We have went to great lengths over the past 6 years to keep people from pillaging our land.  First, we'd just see them, and be all nice and tell them we bought the land and they would go supposedly away, yeah, that worked out well, ::) Then we started getting a little more aggressive with them, telling them we may have to report them to the law, same results.
The last two years we have caught two guys, held them, took their picture, also of their ride, called the local Sheriff, and had them arrested.  That seems to work the best, but it's also a little risky we know, but that's what the Sheriff told us to do and he just happens to live next to my son-in-law and gets there very quickly when called.  We have 405 acres over close to Mena.

Full Nelson? Bear hug? Zip ties? Foothold trap?

How do you hold them?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on May 23, 2014, 07:10:41 pm
Full Nelson? Bear hug? Zip ties? Foothold trap?

How do you hold them?

At gunpoint...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

twistitup

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 23, 2014, 07:13:11 pm

At gunpoint...

I assume they have guns too....sounds like things could crazy in a hurry.

....what if all you have is a bow? Bow point?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on May 23, 2014, 07:54:43 pm

I held some young guys at brick trowel point when I was building my house, laying foundation blocks, and a truck load of early twentysomething guys decided it would be a good idea to take wire cutters and cut the barbed wire fence on the east property line to cross my build site, which in times past had been horse pasture for my uncle. They were out off roading and weren't too happy about my having repaired all the fences that had fallen into disrepair in the years since the horses had been sold.

Anyway, I had heard the truck coming through the woods on the adjoining property but didn't think too much about it til I heard the twang, twang, twang of the barbed wire snapping and looked up as the last strand was recoiling back. I flew down there, brick trowel still in hand, planted myself in front of the truck and ordered the driver to turn off the ignition and get out of the truck. He complied. I asked him what in the hell was he doing cutting my fence and driving across my property. He gave me this lame excuse that he thought the property belonged to somebody he knew. I told him I didn't believe he knew anybody that wouldn't mind him cutting their fence to drive across their property.

I told him to produce his driver's license and he complied, I got his license plate number and told him to start walking to the neighbor's and call the sheriff. He nearly broke down in tears and begged me to let him go to his dad's house, get some more barbed wire and come back to repair the damage. I told him he had a half hour and if he wasn't back by then I'd call the sheriff myself. He was back in 10. Never had anymore trouble out of him.

1highhog

1highhog

Quote from: twistitup on May 23, 2014, 07:54:43 pm

When we come across someone trespassing twistitup, we message each other, close in on the guy, and when we came in on them it was 3 against 1 each time.  We disarmed them, and walked them out to our Camp, where the Officer was already waiting.  He asked him a bunch of questions, had him give up the location of his ride, located it, and hauled that guy off to jail and the other guy we found.  It's nice to have the law on your side for once.

twistitup

Quote from: 1highhog on May 24, 2014, 07:48:25 am
When we come across someone trespassing twistitup, we message each other, close in on the guy, and when we came in on them it was 3 against 1 each time.  We disarmed them, and walked them out to our Camp, where the Officer was already waiting.  He asked him a bunch of questions, had him give up the location of his ride, located it, and hauled that guy off to jail and the other guy we found.  It's nice to have the law on your side for once.

I like your style.

DeltaBoy

We popped the hood and took the coil wire once and when the tow truck showed up we had the deputy go with him to pick up his ride.  We gave the Cop the coil wire.  Ole boy was very unhappy and  it got worse when the Deputy tagged him with a 200 dollar trespassing ticket.