Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dove Management Advice

Started by hawgwild child, March 31, 2014, 07:30:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwild child

Anybody know how to attract doves??  I know sunflower works, but when should i plant it and where at, have a lot of cow pastures and such with ponds and what not, any particular place, and any other tips would be appreciated

hawgwild child

Guess thats a no =(  I'll google

DeltaBoy

They need water and Feed  They do love sunflowers and planting them along your fence rows would work nicely.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pistol Pete

I made a 2 acre deer food plot in our back pasture. About 4 weeks before dove season I broadcast 800 pounds winter wheat on top of the ground, then about a week before season I broadcast (top-sow) another 200 pounds.
This gives pleanty food, 100% LEGAL as long as there are no piles or rows of wheat seed. We usually hunt about 6-8 people and limit out pretty quick.

FYI, game wardens WILL come look at your field... we've had it happen 2 out of 10 years. They will count your birds, see if your gun is plugged, look at your license for HIP registration, and walk every inch of your field looking for piles of seed, spilled seed, rows of seed, dead birds...

I researched the legalities thoroughly... my buddies were going into panic mode the first time they showed up, but I had a copy of the rules and definitions with me. I was ready, and no violations were found.
We did get a warning, one guy's plugged gun would actually hold 3 in the magazine. It was plugged, just too short of a plug.