Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips on Crabbing

Started by HawgWild, February 11, 2014, 02:16:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Rented a house with a 300 foot pier out into Mobile Bay. Thinking about doing some crabbing. Got any tips for me?

TIA

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldman1015

sit on pier all day and drink beer. send someone else to town to buy cooked seafood. enjoy
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hammibal Lecter

Buy some traps... add chicken necks... set up and down pier... drink and wait.
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

HawgWild

February 12, 2014, 08:30:11 am #3 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:07:43 am by HawgWild
Well, sitting and drinking seem to be the best advice so far. I can do that. I was thinking about tying a chicken neck to some monofilament line and then around my toe.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hammibal Lecter on February 11, 2014, 07:39:02 pm
Buy some traps... add chicken necks... set up and down pier... drink and wait.

This
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

titsonboar

Best bait I ever used was a frozen goose. Worked offshore at mobile bay for 3 years

twistitup

Long net, cotton twine or mono, chicken wings or necks.

Feel the tug and bring them within netting distance ....fill a cooler, drink beer while doing it.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

pigture perfect

The more spoiled the chicken neck, wing or leg the better. Once the crab is caught, purge them in clean salt water (Not sea water) for at least 2 hours then drop them live into the crab boil. Great eating.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LSUFan

The yellow goop inside is the best!

It'll be tough to catch them in the bays this time of year. The females have already laid this year, so you can keep them too. FYI you may need a fishing license.

See if you can find some mullet for bait.

In july and august when I was a kid, they were so thick in the surf you could just take a dip net and slide it along the bottom and catch them, we filled up a 55 gallon drum with them.

Good luck.
PS a small blue crab makes great bait for a bull red fish, they are up in the bays now, but you better bring your big boy tackle.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

HawgWild

Thanks to all for the advice. I wonder how closely they check for licenses?

twistitup

I had an old coach with advice on crabs

He said "shave one half of your pubic hair , pour alcohol on the other half, poke 'em with a straight pen when come running out."
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HawgWild

Wait, I thought I was supposed to drink the alcohol. What do I do with the chicken neck? I'm getting confused here.

HawgWild

Used a mullet instead of a chicken neck. Nothing to it.

[attachment deleted by admin]