Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ruger Red Label O/U

Started by hogcoots, December 22, 2013, 08:11:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcoots

Who has one of the new production models?  Tell me what you think.  Pros/Cons and alternatives?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 07, 2014, 05:21:20 pm
Good advice, Delta.

You dont get 48,000 + posts by being selective

The old red labels were gorgeous, I had a guy try to trade me a newer one a while back and he said he loved it, but it did not seem quite as well finished as the older ones. Then again, what is?

kodiakisland

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on January 08, 2014, 02:41:57 am
You dont get 48,000 + posts by being selective

The old red labels were gorgeous, I had a guy try to trade me a newer one a while back and he said he loved it, but it did not seem quite as well finished as the older ones. Then again, what is?

There are still many finely finished guns out there.  They just cost more than they used to.

I like the older red label 20g guns.  They seemed to fit me perfect.  I just never had much use for them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hawgon

I've got one I bought in 1998.  I loved it and used it heavily for a time, it hasn't been out of the back of the safe in years now.

deshahawg

They haven't shipped the new ones yet. I'm looking for a RRL 50th anniversary with the gold inlay but they are hard to come by.

kodiakisland

I don't know what they will retail for, but I think I'd rather have a used Citori or Beretta 600 series in a 12g.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hogcoots

They have shipped the 12 gauges although they are hard to find.  They are retailing right at $1000.  Browning Citori, Beretta, Winchester, all retail new at above $1500 and head north quickly.  The old Red Labels have a pretty good reputation.  They were considered a little heavier in comparison but were solidly built.  As the price started to escalate, Ruger removed them from their product offering for a time.  After re-tooling, they have reintroduced them at the above price point.  I was looking for a quality gun for a gift to my son.  I am leaning toward the Beretta or Browning at this point.  Thanks for the input.

kodiakisland

I am assuming the new red labels are the same as the old ones.  Could be wrong but I'm just going on the assumption they resumed production.  If so, the red label was always a great gun for hunting but not for skeet or trap.  Depending on what your son would do with it, you might be better off finding a decent used browning or beretta if he will be shooting it a lot.

I really like the older red lables in 20g for upland shooting, but use a citori for skeet and beretta for trap.  The rugers aren't designed to handle the abuse of a dedicated trap/skeet gun.

If he is a duck hunter and wants an O/U, the red label 12g would be a great choice.

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 09, 2014, 07:28:28 pm
I am assuming the new red labels are the same as the old ones.  Could be wrong but I'm just going on the assumption they resumed production.  If so, the red label was always a great gun for hunting but not for skeet or trap.  Depending on what your son would do with it, you might be better off finding a decent used browning or beretta if he will be shooting it a lot.

I really like the older red lables in 20g for upland shooting, but use a citori for skeet and beretta for trap.  The rugers aren't designed to handle the abuse of a dedicated trap/skeet gun.

If he is a duck hunter and wants an O/U, the red label 12g would be a great choice.

I read they were redesigned a little but I don't know exactly what is different with the new ones. 

DeltaBoy

What did you get???
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.