Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White bass run in Northwest Arkansas

Started by fishinghawgs, March 13, 2013, 07:48:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fishinghawgs

Are the white bass staging or on the run up War Eagle and the White rivers?

MF

"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

jdelo77

Last week they were about a mile above blue springs , they were stacked on channel bends , this weather should get them moving !

jdelo77

Well , no whites there now , anyone have any advice ? I'm going out tomorrow

fishinghawgs

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Flying Razorback

Quote from: PEtrader on March 25, 2013, 02:39:03 pm
you guys found them yet?

I think this weather needs to even out for the fish all over the state.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

tangman

I hope this weather has set them back a bit, as I have not had a chance to get out. I talked to a guy that caught several big females last week in the Blue Springs area before the front. Is there enough water for them to get to the two dollar hole this year? I was thinking of hitting the back ends of the creeks if it ever warms up. 

Verge

Quote from: tangman on March 25, 2013, 09:32:46 pm
I hope this weather has set them back a bit, as I have not had a chance to get out. I talked to a guy that caught several big females last week in the Blue Springs area before the front. Is there enough water for them to get to the two dollar hole this year? I was thinking of hitting the back ends of the creeks if it ever warms up. 

Maybe, cold rain and snow will really cool off standing water.

Warm rain coming in a few days though.

twistitup

It's been 20 deg at night, my opinion is we are 1-2 weeks out...

Run happened around last week if March last year but it was 70deg during the day, we've had a cold spring.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ATU HOG

I live in Fayetteville.  Someone tell me where to go and what bait to use and I'm going when this run starts

PEtrader

Quote from: ATU HOG on March 27, 2013, 11:05:40 pm
I live in Fayetteville.  Someone tell me where to go and what bait to use and I'm going when this run starts

Beaver head waters.  small jigs and spoons.

We found them last fall when they were schooling and it is pretty fun.

Verge

Quote from: twistitup on March 27, 2013, 09:45:54 pm
It's been 20 deg at night, my opinion is we are 1-2 weeks out...

Run happened around last week if March last year but it was 70deg during the day, we've had a cold spring.

60 degree rain like what we might have is the equivalent to a weeks worth of mid70s. That's a lot of water.

micali

Verge

Quote from: micali on March 28, 2013, 10:15:21 am
beaver head waters?  Where is that?

Find the dam, go the other way lol.

You can fish under the twin bridges off hwy 45. By JB hunts old place.

micali

Thanks. That's what I thought. Why not say white river? Just sayn.
Do they run all the way to the dam? I've fished the twin bridges. Looking for a place to take the fam.

PEtrader

Quote from: micali on March 28, 2013, 11:32:11 am
Thanks. That's what I thought. Why not say white river? Just sayn.
Do they run all the way to the dam? I've fished the twin bridges. Looking for a place to take the fam.

Because they come from the lake into the river.  I don't know how far they are up yet so you have to find them.

micali

twistitup

Quote from: Verge on March 28, 2013, 08:02:55 am
60 degree rain like what we might have is the equivalent to a weeks worth of mid70s. That's a lot of water.

If we get that much rain the White will be high and the color of chocolate milk for a week.

Hogfly

Fair warning that Twin Bridges is a circus during the run.

twistitup

March 29, 2013, 06:13:12 am #21 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:25:29 am by twistitup
Quote from: Hogfly on March 28, 2013, 11:29:58 pm
Fair warning that Twin Bridges is a circus during the run.

very true....and usually the circus arrives late and leaves early.

White bass feed heavy at night so fish early in the morning and just before dark (or at night). In my experience, the middle of the day is a waste of time unless you just want to just catch a sunburn.

I go early before the jokers arrive. When I am leaving with fish, most people are just unpacking their minivans with coolers, lounge chairs, and snack food. They start fishing about 10:30 am and catch nothing. I walk back to fish the evening at 5pm and the same family is there packing up to leave with no fish.

It 's all about timing. Lots of time can be wasted fishing at the wrong times.

Like my grandpa told me "We're not going fishing, we are going to catch fish."

fishinghawgs

You are right Twist about fishing early and late, but I have had some success fishing on overcast days. Has this been your experience?

jdelo77

How does the water look on the white ? I was going to go Sunday but with all this rain in forecast , this might be my last chance for a little while ...

twistitup

Quote from: fishinghawgs on March 29, 2013, 10:51:11 am
You are right Twist about fishing early and late, but I have had some success fishing on overcast days. Has this been your experience?

Cloudy or when a front is moving in and the barometric pressure is changing - those can be exceptions for sure. But after the front moves in and weather changes, it seems to die.

twistitup

Quote from: jdelow77 on March 29, 2013, 11:38:21 am
How does the water look on the white ? I was going to go Sunday but with all this rain in forecast , this might be my last chance for a little while ...

I took a look about an hour ago, it's flowing good but not muddy yet.

jdelo77

twistitup

Quote from: jdelow77 on March 29, 2013, 03:33:27 pm
It's muddy and rising

And more rain is on the way, then a cold front Monday ....not looking good for the next week.

tangman

They are running upper lake in backs of the creeks. My daughter and I caught about 30 this afternoon in an hour and a half. No huge females, but some decent females with them none the less. FYI

fishinghawgs

snoblind

Is it still possible to put in at Wyman bridge (and leave a vehicle) and float down?

tangman

jdelo77

Wyman to twin in a canoe,scamp or Jon ...

jdelo77

fishinghawgs

My son went to Twin bridges this morning. He said there were a lot of people, but no whites (that's bass).

twistitup

Quote from: fishinghawgs on April 06, 2013, 08:30:25 pm
My son went to Twin bridges this morning. He said there were a lot of people, but no whites (that's bass).

It's been a crazy cold spring and more rain is on the way.

jdelo77

That's what I needed to know , going out tomorrow , guess I will try blue springs for crappie

fishinghawgs

The white bass are at twin bridges. I went today and caught 20. My son went tonight and caught 19 fish. The were hitting just about everything I threw.

Jeremy T

We caught 36 crappie on sunday afternoon. Ran out of minnows. Used dead minnows on the last 5 or so. Its amazing just a few warm days can do.

micali

Where did you catch the crappie?  Did you fish from the bank? My boys wants to go real bad.

Jeremy T

There were guys fishing from the banks but didnt see anyone catching fish. I will say the fish are up river. Do not go to the war eagle $2 hole until the water gets a lot higher.  I would try beav-o-rama. You may have to google map it if you are not familiar with the place or blue springs.

jdelo77

They should be at $2 dollar around next week , the water is high enough for the whites to get there , I just don't think they are there yet !

jdelo77

Anyone have a pic of what the water looks like in the river arms ?

twistitup

Quote from: jdelow77 on April 11, 2013, 03:56:35 pm
Anyone have a pic of what the water looks like in the river arms ?
I've got a pic....but can't seem to post it on here from my iPhone.

Boats can run all the way up white river to twin bridges....stay in the channel when approaching the Oxford Bend gravel bar - it is still a tight fit. Water should rise even more tonight after yesterdays rain.

jdelo77

Im watching the realtime river gauge and its fallen a little , im thinking about heading over that way tomorrow after work, how high would you say the water has come up ? ill be bank fishing ...

twistitup

We didn't get too much rain, bank fishing will be possible. I would walk the trail through the field to the first gravel bar.

BroyledNutts

Whites are biting well at Twin today...just had a friend send me an ipic of a full stringer of decent sized whites.

jdelo77

Fish for about seven hours Friday , caught a few tiny largemouths but , no whites ! Started at two dollar hole and ended up at twin bridges , no one caught a thing at two dollar hole , people were catching whites at twin but were farther down river , warm weather should get these fish moving !

twistitup

Fished a few hours this morning at my favorite spot close to t.b.

I had no luck. Things are different this year.

jdelo77

I agree twist , these things must be holed up in spots !