Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who interviewed for Arkansas Job before Collen

Started by Hogtied85, February 13, 2013, 10:14:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtied85

Who interviewed for the coaching position before Tom Collen was hired? Who was interested in the Arkansas job  but did not interview for the job?

jseinfeld50

Not the answer to your question but..

Lewis said she talked to a few people about the position, but that Collen was the only candidate formally interviewed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2810193

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on February 18, 2013, 07:15:25 pm
Not the answer to your question but..

Lewis said she talked to a few people about the position, but that Collen was the only candidate formally interviewed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2810193

?  Bev Lewis wanted Tom Collen when she lost Gary Blair and hired Gardner.  However, Collen had just signed with Vanderbilt - which later fell through due to a transcript screw up which was not Collen's fault but the University where he received his degree from.  Neither Collen nor Lewis felt he should agree to one university - then back out and come here.  At least that is my understanding of what happened.  Therefore, he would have logically been Lewis's first choice after Gardner resigned. :razorback:

hoglady

I don't think Lewis "lost" Gary Blair. By not offering him a contract extension she pretty much "pushed" him out the door without actually firing him. He did not WANT to leave.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

(notOM)Rebel123

Doesn't Gary Blair's wife still teach at the UofA?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hoglady

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 10, 2013, 09:56:44 am
Doesn't Gary Blair's wife still teach at the UofA?

I believe so. Gary Blair still has a house in Fayetteville. When he took the A&M job he basically commuted to College Station and his wife stayed here.
What a great job he has done with the A&M program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

mbgrulz

Quote from: hoglady on March 10, 2013, 10:39:33 am
I believe so. Gary Blair still has a house in Fayetteville. When he took the A&M job he basically commuted to College Station and his wife stayed here.
What a great job he has done with the A&M program.
Blair also has a daughter, grandchildren and son in law in Nwa.

I think it's important to understand that he would not likely have the same success here as he's had in college station. So many more athletes to recruit down there. Kids from Dallas, Houston, and Austin would all be ~2 hrs from home.

Westcoasthog

Gary Blair's wife Nan is still employed at the University of Arkansas as
Associae Professor Nursing.  They own their home in Fayetteville, and have a
home in College Station.