Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lighten Up, Jimmy!

Started by Brand X Hog Fan, January 03, 2009, 04:19:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand X Hog Fan

Man, Dykes was on Fortson's arse today! Does he know something we don't about the kid? Sure, Courtney had a bad game but it happens! I don't see the need to run him into the ground. Let him mature.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

sivad53

i like jimmy but he is pounding this team. My gosh the evolution of this team will continue game in game out.  Just feels likes hes not being objective, I would rather hear the other side of objectivity and listen to Blake. Guess im a homer lol.

fineswine

He's really been a pompous jerk this year.  Frankly, it would suit me just fine if the powers that be would give him the old heave-ho at the end of the year.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on January 03, 2009, 04:19:04 pm
Man, Dykes was on Fortson's arse today! Does he know something we don't about the kid? Sure, Courtney had a bad game but it happens! I don't see the need to run him into the ground. Let him mature.

he trys to hard not to be a homer as an anouncer...i guess he cant seperate business(being impartial) from pleasure(hide love for the hogs).
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

donewithdale

Dykes did a great job of giving an honest assessment.  Homers just didn't want to hear it about their latest Matt Jones/DMac/Brett Favre hero.

CF is a good Fr PG with great potential.

Pretty normal game for him from what I saw.  Made spectacular plays, got our offense set, setup teammates to draw fouls or score, threw up wild shots, got caught in the air, missed FT's, made negative plays after the 5 minute mark when other team is trying to come back...

Stats pretty in line for him:  12 pts, 9 assists, 5 turnovers, 5-12 all from inside the 3 pt line, 2-8 from the line 

MDH

Nothing wrong with Jimmy today.  Some players need to hear that and they ultimately will.  What he said about Forston was right, IMO.  No huge knock on Forston, but he's got to mature some and then watch the freak out, because he's awesome now!

I'd rather have Jimmy over Blake any day.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

SECGUY

This is probably from the same guy that wants Ric and Mike fired. The bed is either too soft or too hard. Dykes does a good job of being impartial and people think he is a jerk. Why don't you turn down the volume.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgnCorona on January 03, 2009, 04:26:03 pm
he trys to hard not to be a homer as an anouncer...i guess he cant seperate business(being impartial) from pleasure(hide love for the hogs).
Thats fine when he's doing games on ESPN. but not when he's doing the local Razorback broadcast. bring back Blake Eddins. we dont need Dykes beating up on Fortson, or the hawg team all game. this team is young and will make mistakes.we dont need a Dykes telling us every 5 seconds how terrible things are.

donewithdale

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:32:21 pm
Thats fine when he's doing games on ESPN. but not when he's doing the local Razorback broadcast. bring back Blake Eddins. we dont need Dykes beating up on Fortson, or the hawg team all game. this team is young and will make mistakes.we dont need a Dykes telling us every 5 seconds how terrible things are.

Do you want him to lie?  Out of all people, I thought you were one that liked honesty from the media even our in state media.  You know the dangers when they hide the truth or hold back.

MDH

Damn, FCJ, I didn't get that impression at all.  You're telling me that you'd rather have a cheap copy of Dicky V/Duke for the Hogs.  Not me, I'll take Jimmy.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: donewithdale on January 03, 2009, 04:28:20 pm
Dykes did a great job of giving an honest assessment.  Homers just didn't want to hear it about their latest Matt Jones/DMac/Brett Favre hero.

Not trying to be a homer. I always appreciate Jimmy's commentary. It just seemed like he had a noticeable disdain for Fortson today. One bad game does not constitute a trend (on either Fortson's or Dyke's part.)
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

donewithdale

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on January 03, 2009, 04:35:02 pm
Not trying to be a homer. I always appreciate Jimmy's commentary. It just seemed like he had a noticeable disdain for Fortson today. One bad game does not constitute a trend (on either Fortson's or Dyke's part.)

What was different about this game vs Fortson' last game?  The same things happened good and bad except today he didn't throw up 3 pointers. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: donewithdale on January 03, 2009, 04:28:20 pm

CF is a good Fr PG with great potential.

Pretty normal game for him from what I saw.  Made spectacular plays, got our offense set, setup teammates to draw fouls or score, threw up wild shots, got caught in the air, missed FT's, made negative plays after the 5 minute mark when other team is trying to come back...

Stats pretty in line for him:  12 pts, 9 assists, 5 turnovers, 5-12 all from inside the 3 pt line, 2-8 from the line 
Here's the problem with that.he's not on espn. he is doing a local Razorback broadcast. most arkansas fans want a homer when it comes to Razorback local broadcast. nothing wrong with that.i rather have Blake Eddins.

HawgnCorona

January 03, 2009, 04:38:15 pm #13 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:41:21 pm by HawgnCorona

certainly we dont need him beating up on the team...you get no argument from me on that. my point is his zeal to point out the what the team should be doing (right or wrong) only make him appear more obvious as a homer. he shouldnt hide when broadcasting to the hometown crowd cause thats what I (they) want to hear. however, he apparently cant figure when is the appropriate time to do so...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

hei5manhog

I think Jimmy said what he said as a way to indirectly help CF's game for the future. I doubt very seriously threre's anything vindicative about his assessment.  he's absolutely right.  CF needs to be tougher at the free throw line and hustle back when and if he makes a mistake.  He's a phenominal player, and if he listens to people who know the game he will grow and fulfill that brillian potential. 

It's easy to praise everything he does so well, but you have to take constructive criticism in stride and become a better player because of it. 
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

sivad53

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:36:50 pm
Here's the problem with that.he's not on espn. he is doing a local Razorback broadcast. most arkansas fans want a homer when it comes to Razorback local broadcast. nothing wrong with that.i rather have Blake Eddins.
Me too I think blake does a great job.  Thats why its a local broadcast. The point is if he was on espn he would not be bagging on one player that way. He goes to far to show he is not a homer.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: donewithdale on January 03, 2009, 04:36:20 pm
What was different about this game vs Fortson' last game?  The same things happened good and bad except today he didn't throw up 3 pointers. 

Attitude, mostly. He was noticeably on edge. He was off balance a lot of the time on his drives as well, fumbling the ball a lot but he is such a good ball handler that he got away with it.

The game was a little frustrating all the way around. I still say Jimmy was a little over the top. No big deal!

Bring on TEXAS!

WilsonHog

I don't want a homer period. Give me a guy who'll call it like he sees it, rain or shine. Anything else is an insult.   

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:36:50 pm

Hate to call you out, FCJ, but after how you set your stand during the whole Nutt thing, you are now being a hypocrite, plain and simple.

There is not one thing wrong with Jimmy's color today.  Everyone is watching the same thing, it's not like he was lying.  What he said about Forston was true.

donewithdale

Fortson has the ball in his hand and forces something good or bad nearly every possession.  He wasn't singled out by Dykes.   

Homerism = danger.  Did we not learn anything over the past decade?  Can't believe our fans still hate hearing honesty.  I guess Frank was right.

MDH

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2009, 04:42:22 pm
I don't want a homer period. Give me a guy who'll call it like he sees it, rain or shine. Anything else is an insult.  

Truth.

forrest city joe

Quote from: donewithdale on January 03, 2009, 04:34:10 pm
Do you want him to lie?  Out of all people, I thought you were one that liked honesty from the media even our in state media.  You know the dangers when they hide the truth or hold back.
No i dont want him to lie. but i also dont want him telling me every 5 seconds that Fortson is playing terrible. im watching the game. i will make up my own mind how someone is doing. he needs to give us the X and O's of the game. i dont care about what he thinks about the way Fortson is playing. i dont get all this Dykes love. i like Eddins better on the broadcast.

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:44:04 pm
No i dont want him to lie. but i also dont want him telling me every 5 seconds that Fortson is playing terrible. im watching the game. i will make up my own mind how someone is doing. he needs to give us the X and O's of the game. i dont care about what he thinks about the way Fortson is playing. i dont get all this Dykes love. i like Eddins better on the broadcast.

Jimmy can do a whole lot more for this team (media wise) in the long run than Blake.  Plus, he's just a whole lot better at it.

hawgfan80

I'd rather hear Jimmy Dykes over Blake Eddins any day. Dykes was honest in his assessment of CF and he was right. Especially in the 1st half when Fortson turned it over on a break and put his head down and didn't sprint back on defense.

Cale

Fortson did play horrible today.
but better today than tuesday.

he was out of control a lot and made some stupid passes and just seemed like he wasn't paying a lot of attention to handling the ball.

however.
fortson plays harder than anyone on the court. no matter who he's playing. he gets a lot of steals and thats a real thing we were truly lacking the last few years.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

forrest city joe

Quote from: hei5manhog on January 03, 2009, 04:39:14 pm
I think Jimmy said what he said as a way to indirectly help CF's game for the future. I doubt very seriously threre's anything vindicative about his assessment.  he's absolutely right.  CF needs to be tougher at the free throw line and hustle back when and if he makes a mistake.  He's a phenominal player, and if he listens to people who know the game he will grow and fulfill that brillian potential. 

It's easy to praise everything he does so well, but you have to take constructive criticism in stride and become a better player because of it. 
Fortson need to listen to his coaches, not Jimmy Dykes. i dont think this kid will give a crap about what Dykes thinks. and i dont blame him.Fortson is young and will make mistakes. he's not perfect.

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:47:36 pm
Fortson need to listen to his coaches, not Jimmy Dykes. i dont think this kid will give a crap about what Dykes thinks. and i dont blame him.Fortson is young and will make mistakes. he's not perfect.

So you would rather listen to someone telling you he is, when you know it's not true?

forrest city joe

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 04:42:34 pm
Hate to call you out, FCJ, but after how you set your stand during the whole Nutt thing, you are now being a hypocrite, plain and simple.

There is not one thing wrong with Jimmy's color today.  Everyone is watching the same thing, it's not like he was lying.  What he said about Forston was true.
What he said about Fortson was his opinion. it does not make it true. did Fortson make mistakes today? sure he did. was he as bad as Dykes  told us he was. i say No. thats my opinion. you call tell it like it is, without ragging on one kid the entire game.

donewithdale

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 04:50:12 pm
So you would rather listen to someone telling you he is, when you know it's not true?

Fortson is the fan favorite.  Its ok for Dykes to be critical of Welsh.  He is the one fans have chosen that its ok to bash this season.  Fortson is off limits.  His game changes little from game to game but one game he is the best PG in college basketball and the next he is just tired and was under pressure despite little difference. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 04:50:12 pm

Thank you.  Jimmy is an analyst, it's his job to break down the game he sees and the player performances.  He said how talented he was and all that, but if you don't think John Pelphrey is going to make sure CF knows to hustle back after a mistake you are sadly mistaken. 
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:53:26 pm
What he said about Fortson was his opinion. it does not make it true. did Fortson make mistakes today? sure he did. was he as bad as Dykes  told us he was. i say No. thats my opinion. you call tell it like it is, without ragging on one kid the entire game.

I'm sorry, he didn't rag on him the entire game.  In no way did Jimmy say he was bad, he pointed out the flaws in his game, what the heck is wrong with that?  You sure as heck had no problem doing that with the football team and complaining when the same thing wasn't done by Chuckles and Keef.

???

forrest city joe

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 04:46:22 pm
Jimmy can do a whole lot more for this team (media wise) in the long run than Blake.  Plus, he's just a whole lot better at it.
Respect your opinion. we just disagree.

MDH

Quote from: donewithdale on January 03, 2009, 04:54:05 pm
Fortson is the fan favorite.  Its ok for Dykes to be critical of Welsh.  He is the one fans have chosen that its ok to bash this season.  Fortson is off limits.  His game changes little from game to game but one game he is the best PG in college basketball and the next he is just tired and was under pressure despite little difference. 

*shrug* Oh well, Homerism at it's finest I guess.  The truth is the truth as you know.  I'll drop it.

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 04:57:41 pm
Respect your opinion. we just disagree.

I'm cool with that, still like having you around FCJ- just this time we're on opposite sides.

donewithdale

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 04:57:39 pm
I'm sorry, he didn't rag on him the entire game.  In no way did Jimmy say he was bad, he pointed out the flaws in his game, what the heck is wrong with that?  You sure as heck had no problem doing that with the football team and complaining when the same thing wasn't done by Chuckles and Keef.

???

Give up.  This is why we have so many liars and shills in our state media and on our broadcast crews.  Frank was right in the way he managed the media for our fan base to keep them happy.  We learned nothing.  And we finally have a respected national analyst and we don't want to hear him because he does his job too well with too much integrity.

forrest city joe

???
Are you kidding me? someone please put up some old threads during football season where i said it sounded like Chuck and KJ sounded like they were happy when we were losing games. i have said many times i want them gone yeasterday. if you are going to post something like you just did. make sure you got your facts right.i would rather have Eddins over Dykes. thats the way i feel about it.

fineswine

January 03, 2009, 05:06:39 pm #36 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:09:56 pm by fineswine
During the game Dykes points out that M.Washington is one of the most improved players in the country.  Statistically speaking, this seems to be the case.  Objectively, is he really better?  1. He's getting minutes now that he has never gotten before. 2. In his previous two seasons, did he ever play the 5? No, the lane was cluttered with Heath's stiffs.  Washington was 15-18 feet out facing the basket instead of working in the paint where he has been brilliant. 3. Lastly, has he ever had a guard that could get him the ball in positions for easy baskets?  Guess who's getting it done.
    Sorry to ramble; Fortson wasn't great today, merely better than Dykes gives him credit for.  He doesn't have to be Rick Shaeffer, but even Joe Kleine wasn't as critical as him (and he lost his job over it).

MDH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 03, 2009, 05:04:24 pm
Are you kidding me? someone please put up some old threads during football season where i said it sounded like Chuck and KJ sounded like they were happy when we were losing games. i have said many times i want them gone yeasterday. if you are going to post something like you just did. make sure you got your facts right.i would rather have Eddins over Dykes. thats the way i feel about it.

Jimmy sure as heck didn't sound happy that we were losing.  Enough.  We're not going to get to the middle on this, I'm just going to drop it.

Brand X Hog Fan

???

After reading the thread and thinking about it, Jimmy did comment on the positives as well as the negatives. The one negative that sticks in my mind is late when CF missed both his FT's. Jimmy said something like, "Look at that!"

You know, some of what he was saying, and the manner in which he was saying it, was fan speak. It must be hard to be a national caliber analyst and then have to analyze your "own" team, especially on a local broadcast where the entire audience is comprised of homers.

I think some of what Jimmy said questioned Fortson's character and, perhaps, justifiably. That is what has me kind of bummed. I want to be a PollyAnna. I am not ready to admit we have character issues in a starting player. We just finished 8 years of that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 05:07:01 pm
Jimmy sure as heck didn't sound happy that we were losing.  Enough.  We're not going to get to the middle on this, I'm just going to drop it.
I agree.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: MDH on January 03, 2009, 05:07:01 pm

smart move MDH. i personally wouldnt want the thread to turn into pee contest...we have all seen enough of that. +1

donewithdale

Quote from: fineswine on January 03, 2009, 05:06:39 pm
During the game Dykes points out that M.Washington is one of the most improved players in the country.  Statistically speaking, this seems to be the case.  Objectively, is he really better?  1. He's getting minutes now that he has never gotten before. 2. In his previous two seasons, did he ever play the 5? No, the lane was cluttered with Heath's stiffs.  Washington was 15-18 feet out facing the basket instead of working in paint where he has been brilliant. 3. Lastly, has he ever had a guard that could get him the ball in positions for easy baskets?  Guess who's getting it done.
    Sorry to ramble; Fortson wasn't great today, merely better than Dykes gives him credit for.  He doesn't have to be Rick Shaeffer, but even Joe Kleine wasn't as critical as him (and he lost his job over it).

Agreed on Wash.  Those skills have been there.  The minutes and style of play were not.  He thrives in a more up tempo moving offense.  His FT shooting has improved as well as his confidence.  He should have gotten more of Charles Thomas' minutes. 

Tim Harris

He was definately on his all game, enough that my better half even noticed it.  Although Fortson definately played like a true freshman with his up and down game he did seem to be extremely hard on him.  Lets just hope Fortson plays better on Tuesday.  We will need him to beat Texas.

ChicoHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 03, 2009, 04:42:22 pm
Ditto for me Wilson. 

hei5manhog

Quote from: PorkOpine on January 03, 2009, 05:21:18 pm
I didn't listen to this game, but have always found Dykes to be quite professional and unbiased when calling Hog games.  Perhaps he's overcompensating now.  I don't know. 

Regardless, it beats the hell out of listening to the "Billy Packers" in the business with a mic in one hand and boner in the other.

WTH?!? hahaha +1

DC

Fortson seemed like a player that had been reading his own press today. There are several areas of his game that he needs to improve on, but then again he is only a freshman. As far as freshmen go he is one of the best in the country. BTW, Michael Washington is fantastic this year and should get a lot of preps too.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on January 03, 2009, 04:35:02 pm

I think the only disdain he had was that Fortson couldn't hit free throws and was playing out of control in some instances.  I think his criticisms were great, especially for hog fans that have the dream in their heads that we are going to go past the first round of the tournament.   I would rather have Jimmy's comments now than to paint an unrealistic picture of the kid.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

linze82

there was one play where fortson threw it away to to a ntu player and fortson didn't run down to play d.  dykes called him out on it and i think he should have.
smite me bishes

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: linze82 on January 03, 2009, 06:05:35 pm
there was one play where fortson threw it away to to a ntu player and fortson didn't run down to play d.  dykes called him out on it and i think he should have.

agreed   i saw the same thing
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Mr.Mabry

Is this the only Game Dykes has called for us this season?