Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For coaches and players on the board

Started by Tusks, January 02, 2017, 10:23:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

what does this mean?  I don't know if I should be shocked or grateful.

2013: Led 24-7 at Rutgers, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-0, then 17-10 entering the 4th quarter, lost in overtime. Led LSU 27-21 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2014: Led A&M 28-14 entering the 4th quarter, lost in OT. Led Alabama 13-7 entering the 4th quarter, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-7 at halftime, lost. Led Missouri 14-6 at halftime, lost.

2015: Tied Texas Tech 21-all at halftime, lost by double digits. Led A&M 21-13 in the 4th quarter, lost. Led Alabama 7-3 at halftime, lost by double digits. Led Mississippi State 42-31 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2016: Ties A&M at halftime, lost by 21. Led Missouri 24-7 at halftime, lost. Led Virginia Tech 24-0 at halftime, lost by double digits.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DiamondHogFan

We usually have a very good game plan going in to the game, but as the game wears on it seems the other team adjusts and we don't.  I don't know if that is a lack of coaching or a lack of stamina/depth in the players on the field.

It seemed like every game in 2013 we started with a 10-0 lead and went downhill from there.  The end of last year and beginning of this year were promising, but the down slide at the end of this year was concerning.  Not sure where we go from here, but I will be curious to see how 2017 goes.

farmhawg

The exact same thing whisky fans complained about, lack of adjustments during the game. If he hasn't figured it out by now, he never will.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hawgon

He always takes his foot off the gas in the second quarter too with a big lead.  Score as many as you can while you can.  Assume the other team will adjust and make a run so score as much as you can while you can before they do.

Oklahawg

The data is akin to the "fake news" chatter in the "real world" - if you do not use all data then you are guilty of "putting a toe on the scale."

In 2016 alone, we had late wins vs La Tech, TCU, and Ole Miss. What is a late win? What metrics are needed to exclude or include MS State.

Still can't dismiss the 2nd half whiffs vs Missouri and Va Tech.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tusks

But this is 14 times in 4 years.  I mean it's kind of shocking.  If the hogs had lost say 4 leads in 4 years I'd think you'd say, yeah that's about right its gonna happen.

But this is kind of amazing, but again should I be unhappy they're blowing leads or happy they staying in games?

Im thinking 14 times is not good, that's why I asked people who've been there.  I played baseball so I have a different perspective on blowing leads.  My first thought is mental toughness and adjustments, but again I didn't play football at a high level.

How would you turn something like this around?

lefty08

You could do ones of these for nearly every team in football
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: farmhawg on January 02, 2017, 10:36:41 am
The exact same thing whisky fans complained about, lack of adjustments during the game. If he hasn't figured it out by now, he never will.

^^^This^^^  We are doomed to no better than 8 or 9 wins at best.......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

al_pigcino

We are starting to see the issues with attrition.  There is only so long your starters can hang with other teams.  While we aren't as talented as LSU or Alabama, as long as are starters are in we do see competitiveness.  The problem is the drop off.  When Greenlaw went out it almost demolished our already pieced together defense.  When Alabama lost Eddie Jackson what did they do?  Set records as a defense.  It's going to take an established redshirt/walk on program to compete.  The problem is Arkansas fans call for the heads of any coach who doesn't deliver back to back 10 win seasons.  Who has time to set up the program the way they want?

lefty08

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 02, 2017, 11:22:12 am

Doom and gloom scenario above our historic averages
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ricepig

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 02, 2017, 11:22:12 am

Well, let's get to 9 wins the next two seasons and see if we are still doomed...

hawgon

Quote from: lefty08 on January 02, 2017, 11:29:00 am
Doom and gloom scenario above our historic averages

You don't average 7 or 8 at a place like Arkansas or anywhere really by winning seven or eight every year.  You do it by taking advantage and winning 9 or 10 in your good years, and then five or six in your rebuilding years.  And your rebuilding years are usually only one year.

lefty08

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 11:32:13 am
You don't average 7 or 8 at a place like Arkansas or anywhere really by winning seven or eight every year.  You do it by taking advantage and winning 9 or 10 in your good years, and then five or six in your rebuilding years.  And your rebuilding years are usually only one year.

Well aware of how averages work, thanks

reddogjcss

It means our coaches can not or will not adjust during the game.

Mo_Better_Hogs

I think these are good questions. This season, we lost in 2 different styles--we got THUMPED, or we gave up huge leads. I don't think I've every seen anything like that. In past years, while we may be blown out in a game, we'll lose others the regular way (the 17-10 variety.)

As bad as it felt after A&M, Auburn, etc, I doubt anyone is second-guessing a decision or 2 in those. But the Mizzou and Va Tech games are oddities of science. Like things that can be studied for years, and not by Arkansas fans. There really can't be one answer.

Looking at the last several years, pointed out by Tusked, is there anything to that? Anything mystical? Or just bad fortune? Is it strictly Xs and Os? How can we be out-coached/out-adjusted that many times? This was a national topic in the 2014 season--"Arkansas is a good team, but why can't they finish?"

Had we beaten Mizzou and VT, and even though those 2014 games were painful, I don't think we're looking back at these "late in game" losing trends.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 02, 2017, 11:23:35 am
While we aren't as talented as LSU or Alabama, as long as are starters are in we do see competitiveness. 

That just isn't true......who played in the 2nd halves of the last 2 games??
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

tophawg19

most of them means you play in the toughest league in football . most of those were to top 25 teams since almost everyone we play is ranked or soon will be . honestly it's a 3 part issue . Our starters are good and get us off to a fast start but lack of depth wears us down. 2. coaches not making proper adjustments during the game 3 lack of a good defense means we have to score to much to win. The defense has never really been good at playing with a lead and closing out a game . bend but don't break issue and laying off receivers on the LOS and giving up the middle of the field
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Great Hambino

Let's be honest. Bielema scripts early plays, just like petrino did. Petrino is just a better coach with a better script and makes better adjustments.

Tusks

I had forgotten about the Rutgers debacle.  It looked just like MZ & VT this year.

I was told it was because it was a dumpster fire and should be expected.  Who knew it was a foreshadowing for games 4 years later.

Does that mean it's still a dumpster fire?

sickboy

I hear what everyone is saying about not adjusting... but I also think some of these games have something to do with our philosophy in general: the idea that we are aiming to build a lead and then grind and wear teams out by running the ball down their throat in the second half. I think we haven't had the horses to do that... and, honestly, I'm not sure that we will ever have the horses to do that in the current SEC West.

This year was different than the last few years. Some of the games in the past we weren't up by that much when we lost these games. The Mizzou and VT game were historically bad fold jobs.

Trystran

CBB is 21-8 in games led at the half since 2013. That 72.4 percentage ranks 104th in the FBS since 2013.

tophawg19

Quote from: Trystran on January 02, 2017, 01:02:11 pm
CBB is 21-8 in games led at the half since 2013. That 72.4 percentage ranks 104th in the FBS since 2013.
interesting stat but most of the other teams weren't playing our schedule either
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ShadowTheHedgehog

It means that CBB teams are very dependent on TOP and running the ball. When you have games where you cannot run the ball, the opponents shut down the passing game in the second half and the team has zero offensive production.

The question is why can the team not run the ball, and why can the coaches not make any adjustments to get any type of running game going so the opponents have to focus on something besides stopping the pass?

hawgfan4life

Is that the Rutgers game our QB was hurt and our back-ups were simply not good?  Was that the Miss St teams with a QB that is tearing up the NFL and had Miss St ranked #1 at one time?  Being in the game with AL was an accomplishment.  A$M used all they have remaining for the season against us for whatever reasons. 

The worst have been MO and VA Tech this year.  Better talent on defense, more team speed, and improved OL will fix most of those issues.  Turnovers and penalties in most of these games have been the dagger.

There are concerns, but fans blow up things far more than is necessary and too often focus on wrong issues.  Our OL absolutely killed our offense this year and overall play at LB was our issue on defense.

Nothing was so bad we can't expect improvement next year, but we aren't going to win 11 games next year.

Hogs958

Takes his foot off the gas, and the defense gets gassed.

luke hawg

We game plan well for the opposing team most the time. We build a lead and need to lean on the run to finish off the game. This has been a disaster for us. I mean look how often we've been stuffed in crucial short yardage situations late in games. The offensive line has not lived up to the hype to this point. It looked good at the end of 2014 and 2015. This season was a struggle all year evidence by all the shuffling til midway through the season. At this point we havent consistently imposed our will on TTU, TCU, Toledo, Stamford, La Tech, and Missouri. BIelema was scoring 60 on these type of schools at Wisconsin. The offensive line needs to take a huge step forward next season or his time here will be limited.

Wallace redshirt junior 4 star
Froholdt junior 4 star
Ragnow senior 4 star
Gipson redshirt junior walk on

Rogers, Merrick, Jackson, Ramirez, Malone, and Raulerson fighting for one spot. The depth is magnified by the versatility of Ragnow. If we aren't capable of skull humping 3/4ths of our schedule it isn't going to happen.

Hogs958

Quote from: luke hawg on January 02, 2017, 09:44:41 pm
We game plan well for the opposing team most the time. We build a lead and need to lean on the run to finish off the game. This has been a disaster for us. I mean look how often we've been stuffed in crucial short yardage situations late in games. The offensive line has not lived up to the hype to this point. It looked good at the end of 2014 and 2015. This season was a struggle all year evidence by all the shuffling til midway through the season. At this point we havent consistently imposed our will on TTU, TCU, Toledo, Stamford, La Tech, and Missouri. BIelema was scoring 60 on these type of schools at Wisconsin. The offensive line needs to take a huge step forward next season or his time here will be limited.

Wallace redshirt junior 4 star
Froholdt junior 4 star
Ragnow senior 4 star
Gipson redshirt junior walk on

Rogers, Merrick, Jackson, Ramirez, Malone, and Raulerson fighting for one spot. The depth is magnified by the versatility of Ragnow. If we aren't capable of skull humping 3/4ths of our schedule it isn't going to happen.

Smart post. The O line and D line really need to pick it up next season.

hawgdavis

SEC is not the best conference this year I'll have to give that to the ACC so the tough schedule stuff just doesn't seem to be it. I think it's the coaching. Many of the problems can be corrected with proper coaching and adjustments on the fly. But most of all not taking the foot off the gas

hawgfan4life

OL is our issue on offense.  DL had little help from LB corp.  DL needs to be better and will be incrementally better as LB group improves.  Same with DBs.  They will be better too.  I am not saying they will be great, but they will be less exposed and defense as a whole will make stops and force offense to beat them with consistency rather than huge plays.

tampahog

I would like to see CBBs winning percentage when both leading and trailing at the half at Wis vs Ark to see if he had the same problems there.  Anyone know where to find these stats?

mckinneyhog5

This tells me we need quality depth at all defensive positions.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Hognspace

Hard to say without knowing the personal beyond a watch on tv or film.  One thing I struggle with is some of the personal decisions this staff makes year after year.  For instance Llidell over Coley. Ramerez could be a great Olb.  Agim would destroy from the edge.  Ellis might as well blitz most plays he is too slow in coverage. 

At times a RB or WR would get hot and we would go away from them and never seem to find them in the game again. Arkansas has some good pieces, but they don't seem to fit well together.

As far as the forth quarter melts...this type of thing happens when a team is overmatched in talent able to lead or keep up early but fades.  The other cause is lack of coaching adjustments.  BB is a poor late game manager.  He also seems lost in game for adjustments.  I think it is a combination of lack of depth and poor in game coaching.  The
Lack of depth really shows up on special teams kick off and returns. We all see the lack of special teams play.  Having a kicker/punter is good, but can the guys covering get there in time to beat blocks and make plays.  Our guys are average on special teams...equates
To lack of depth.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: sickboy on January 02, 2017, 12:57:35 pm
I hear what everyone is saying about not adjusting... but I also think some of these games have something to do with our philosophy in general: the idea that we are aiming to build a lead and then grind and wear teams out by running the ball down their throat in the second half. I think we haven't had the horses to do that... and, honestly, I'm not sure that we will ever have the horses to do that in the current SEC West.

This year was different than the last few years. Some of the games in the past we weren't up by that much when we lost these games. The Mizzou and VT game were historically bad fold jobs.

i think you're right. i don't think the experiment will work on a consistent basis.

zone-read, here we come.....
The rest of the frog.

One of our big problems is not building any second teamers to go play.  The starters lose a barely half step due to fatigue and in our league, that is just too much.  Then we are mental midgets when things start to go bad.

luke hawg

Quote from: 12247 on January 02, 2017, 10:22:45 pm
One of our big problems is not building any second teamers to go play.  The starters lose a barely half step due to fatigue and in our league, that is just too much.  Then we are mental midgets when things start to go bad.

This isn't a new problem and leading the league in coaching turnover doesnt solve it. We have never tried redshirting for multiple seasons. Nutt was here long enough but couldn't manage a roster to save his life. Petrino last class was redshirted but attrition from two coaching hires diminished its impact. BIelema has redshirted a good number of players the last 2 years which are also are highest rated ever per 247 composite.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgdavis on January 02, 2017, 09:54:59 pm
SEC is not the best conference this year I'll have to give that to the ACC so the tough schedule stuff just doesn't seem to be it. I think it's the coaching. Many of the problems can be corrected with proper coaching and adjustments on the fly. But most of all not taking the foot off the gas
bruh. we played a stretch of 8 or 9 straight ranked opponents.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

al_pigcino

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 02, 2017, 12:20:39 pm
That just isn't true......who played in the 2nd halves of the last 2 games??
Way to pick and choose one sentence out of a paragraph.  But to answer your question it's the TIRED starters.  We don't have the luxury of having a solid 2 deep......which was the point of the paragraph. 

Lanny

Quote from: tusked on January 02, 2017, 10:23:35 am

2013: Led 24-7 at Rutgers, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-0, then 17-10 entering the 4th quarter, lost in overtime. Led LSU 27-21 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2014: Led A&M 28-14 entering the 4th quarter, lost in OT. Led Alabama 13-7 entering the 4th quarter, lost. Led Mississippi State 10-7 at halftime, lost. Led Missouri 14-6 at halftime, lost.

2015: Tied Texas Tech 21-all at halftime, lost by double digits. Led A&M 21-13 in the 4th quarter, lost. Led Alabama 7-3 at halftime, lost by double digits. Led Mississippi State 42-31 in the 4th quarter, lost.

2016: Ties A&M at halftime, lost by 21. Led Missouri 24-7 at halftime, lost. Led Virginia Tech 24-0 at halftime, lost by double digits.

I call it a PATTERN
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Jackrabbit Hog

My feeble mind watches how the Hogs come out in second halves under Bielema and the prevailing thought is that we are pressing to do things that we shouldn't be doing.  How many times this year did we take a nice lead into halftime by establishing the run, only to get the ball in the second half and call 3 consecutive pass plays (or a pass and a run and a pass) resulting in a 3-and-out?  It just seems that Bielema wants to show everybody he's not conservative when that's not really necessary.  Then when we get behind, teams know we need to pass and we can't overcome that. 

We call dumb plays, then when they don't work we get tight and start pressing.  Things snowball and, voila, there's your loss.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LZH

Quote from: The Great Hambino on January 02, 2017, 12:46:23 pm
Let's be honest. Bielema scripts early plays, just like petrino did. Petrino is just a better coach with a better script and makes better adjustments.

Remember the A&M game that we went in at halftime down by maybe 3 TD's and BP told Willie to run a defense (from a previous game) that we had not even practiced in nearly a year? But we won the game.

That is what you call a halftime adjustment.

hawgon

Quote from: LZH on January 03, 2017, 09:10:58 am
Remember the A&M game that we went in at halftime down by maybe 3 TD's and BP told Willie to run a defense (from a previous game) that we had not even practiced in nearly a year? But we won the game.

That is what you call a halftime adjustment.

Yeah, Bielema seems to think that you can't make adjustments except during an off week.

LJHOG

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 11:32:13 am
Near as I can recall except for a couple of years here and there we've been "rebuilding" since 1990.  Time to acknowledge the fact it is rebuilt and this is what it is, mediocre.

LZH

Quote from: hawgon on January 03, 2017, 09:12:47 am
Yeah, Bielema seems to think that you can't make adjustments except during an off week.

What baffles me is that if he was a good enough defensive coach to get the DC position at a couple of D1 schools, why in the hell does he not do something when it is obvious a change needs to be made during a game....or even the week after?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: tusked on January 02, 2017, 10:23:35 am

Any game Arkansas led in 2013 was a coaching miracle.

If all you look at are the games where Arkansas lost the lead, you come out with a slanted view. Did you look at games where Arkansas maintained leads, or came from behind? No? Can you put these anecdotes in context with anything? No? Brilliant work.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan10

Quote from: sickboy on January 02, 2017, 12:57:35 pm

But, we didn't just run the ball in the second half against Mizz & VT; we threw the ball, a lot.

hawgfan4life

We went up and down the field vs MO and left 21 points on the field.  We NEVER ran well versus VA Tech and gave them the game with turnovers and penalties which have been uncharacteristic for BB teams for the most part.