Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BE Honest, Season Overall

Started by BR, January 02, 2017, 07:48:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

At the Start of the Season, WHAT did you say we would be?  BE HONEST!   I said 7-5 maybe 8-4 I would be happy, very happy....
We were going in with a Brand new QB, a new OLine in the SEC West.. I'm not happy about the Blow-outs or the last two games, but we still won 7 games.    After taking a deep breathe, and a couple shots of Cabo.  We were about what I thought we would be. We have one of the Best Offensive Recruiting Classes in the Nation coming in next year, We will have an experienced O-Line.. We should put massive points on the Board next season.

If Coach "B" makes changes on the "D" that have to be made.. We should be better..  We have a month till signing day, IF he is going to make a splash for Recruiting on the "D" side... Coaching changes have to be made ASAP.   We ALL know Long & CBB are here for at least another year or two... So we all have a right to our beliefs, but right now it's the wait and see game...   Happy New Year Everyone, may 2017 be a great one.. May our Hogs get 9 wins next year... 

Peace,
BR
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Kevin

7-6, we just got there in a strange way
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rhames

About what I thought.  Last 2 loses have me concerned but they can get it right.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Capt. Hamm

Yeah, I think most of us thought 7 or 8 wins this year. It was just a strange journey.

Inhogswetrust

January 02, 2017, 08:07:06 am #4 Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:19:04 am by Inhogswetrust
 I thought 8-4 and possibly 9-3 BUT not losing the ways we did. NO team should lose in the manners we did. Getting blown out and not fighting to the end.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Elvis P Hogg

7-6 fighting and improving  looks and feels different than 7-6 declining, imploding, mental breakdowns, and the appearance of giving up,with no observable answers from the coaching staff or players

nchogg

Most of us buy in to the preseason hype. New hires, expectations for offense and defense and new players. We hear the media and posters talking how good or bad the team will be and they all get blasted. I always have high a good feeling wanting the best. Have not had that in a while at the end of the season. This spring and fall with all the hype that goes with it, will hope for the best again. It's a toss up. Try to look at the bright side. :razorback:

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: rhames on January 02, 2017, 08:02:44 am
About what I thought.  Last 2 loses have me concerned but they can get it right.

How can they get it right?  In the last 2 games, it wasn't an issue with talent and it wasn't an issue of inability to execute fundamentals (as exhibited by the team's 1st half performances).
The issue was the failure of BB and his staff.  They could not make adjustments when needed, and they could not keep the team focused.  I seriously doubt that BB's coaching philosophy will change for the better.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

grayhawg

With the exception on the Missouri game we won the ones I figured to win.
Lost the games I expected to lose, Bama & LSU.
The toss up games we beat TCU, Fla and Ole Miss, lost to A&M and Auburn.
The bowl game I thought we would lose by a touchdown or so, but blowing a 24 point lead and allowing 35 points to V Tech in the second half, the Missouri meltdown, the Auburn blowout loss, and the second half debacle to A&M at Jerry World to me are unacceptable and are examples of a lack of toughness by the players and leadership by the coaches.

BR

NOW Hopefully all you good Southern Men ate some Black Eyed Peas yesterday to bring us luck in 2017.....

ricepig

I was down for 8-4, so it was one less win. To sum up the season in two words, it sucked.

hawg IQ

here what bothered me the most, the last two game's second half. And the whole (razorback) world is asking  " what is discussed at halftime".

Why is it so different than the first half ?     Folks this is very serious. V Tech is a pretty decent team, Mizzou was not. Somebody's got  to splain Lucy !?

A lot of issues anyway period, but the 2nd half give aways and meltdowns is unbelievable ??  I don't know of a coach in jr high, high school, college that coaches kids like Arkansas does. Again , you just can't say enough about the collective 2nd half self destruction's we've seen the last two games.
go hogs go !

rhames

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 02, 2017, 08:14:13 am
How can they get it right?  In the last 2 games, it wasn't an issue with talent and it wasn't an issue of inability to execute fundamentals (as exhibited by the team's 1st half performances).
The issue was the failure of BB and his staff.  They could not make adjustments when needed, and they could not keep the team focused.  I seriously doubt that BB's coaching philosophy will change for the better.

I mean 3 out of 4 seasons his teams have gotten better throughout the year. This season that wasn't the case. He gets 2 more seasons no matter what I think.

So I can pour all my energy into being upset and go off about the situation any chance i get on a message board or try to find the positives.

No matter what I have a pretty plush life either way if the most of my worries are about a football team performing the way most thought they would.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

The NewEra

I was 8-4 minimum, 10-2 possibly.  I expected the strength of the team to be on defense.  Something inside the program is creating the problem we saw in the meltdowns.  Bielema's going to have to properly identify that problem and get it corrected along with the defense.

Dominicanhog

wasted opportunities.. 9-4, even 8-5 could have soothed the a$$ whippings we incurred.. but I'm left with frustration and concern....

MultipleScoreGasms

I said 8-4 before the-season, plus a bowl win.  At the time, I thought it was necessary to show year-over-year improvement, and I though it was possible.  I hold the same opinions today.  What I saw instead was an implosion as the season went on, with seemingly no ability to correct.  Personally, I like CBB very much.  I always have, even when he was at Wisconsin.  However, at this point I have no confidence he can right the ship.  I can only hope he proves me wrong.

This year was fumbled away.  As for next year, in order to demonstrate he is the coach to put us on the right track, we need to finish the regular season 9-3.  I expect 7-5, or 6-6.  If that happens, the first firing should be Jeff Long.  CBB is his pick, and the huge buyout handcuffs the program to this decision.  As for CBB's outlook, that is a decision that needs to be made by the next AD.  (JMHO)

preachr

A few years ago we were angry and despairing over 4-8 and 3-9 seasons.

Now we are angry and in despair over a .500 season.

Progress.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: preachr on January 02, 2017, 08:57:48 am

Progress.

Yep, that's the bright side... It's always easier to cuss a farmer with your mouth full...

Augustus

Progress.

No, a few years ago we had a reason to justify 4-8 and 3-9.

It's year 4, and we are justified in being angry about 7-6. Especially considering the manner of some of those losses.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Progress.

Yes, but many concerns.  Concerns that suggest 7 or 8 wins is the ceiling.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hoglady

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on January 02, 2017, 08:10:33 am
7-6 fighting and improving  looks and feels different than 7-6 declining, imploding, mental breakdowns, and the appearance of giving up,with no observable answers from the coaching staff or players

Yes.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoghearted

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on January 02, 2017, 08:10:33 am
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogcard1964

9-3, at worst 8-4.  Alabama and Texas A & M are always going to heat us now.

There were only a handful of posters that had us worse than 8-4, so don't claim too many of you thought we would be this bad.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on January 02, 2017, 08:35:28 am

I mean 3 out of 4 seasons his teams have gotten better throughout the year. This season that wasn't the case. He gets 2 more seasons no matter what I think.

He'll get one more, with the caveat that he wins a minimum of 10 and finally contends for the SEC West.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 02, 2017, 09:17:22 am

There were only a handful of posters that had us worse than 8-4, so don't claim too many of you thought we would be this bad.

Why don't you go back and read the threads, you might be surprised.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 02, 2017, 09:21:23 am
He'll get one more, with the caveat that he wins a minimum of 10 and finally contends for the SEC West.

wrong

hogcard1964

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2017, 09:21:31 am
Why don't you go back and read the threads, you might be surprised.

I did.  The majority had us at 8-4 or 9-3 including you and I.

Bubba's Bruisers

I was predicting less than 8-4.  And there were many echoing the same or worse. 

rhames

Most of the time people on this board will always pick 7-9 wins no matter what

As the season gets closer people up their number because of excitement.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 02, 2017, 09:24:24 am
I was predicting less than 8-4.  And there were many echoing the same or worse.

Most had us at 8-4.

Cinco de Hogo

I didn't set any expectations this year but hoped we would improve over the previous year.  We definitely went backwards and that's not a good thing.  No wait til next year hype from me with this team or these coaches.  Whether we won or lost I watched a bad team flounder thru pretty much every game.  Apathy has settled in, I simply don't have expectations amy more. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 02, 2017, 09:26:50 am
I didn't set any expectations this year but hoped we would improve over the previous year.  We definitely went backwards and that's not a good thing.  No wait til next year hype from me with this team or these coaches.  Whether we won or lost I watched a bad team flounder thru pretty much every game.  Apathy has settled in, I simply don't have expectations amy more.

It'll be more of the same next year.  If he wins 6 or 7 he'll be back.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 02, 2017, 09:29:02 am

LOL. You just said he needed to win a 10.

Quickdraw

I picked 8-4 which was a big dissapointment. I'm more concerned about their conference wins than there over all wins. Until he can get above. 500 on conference wins we are a celled dweller. And I don't see that changing.

rhames

Quote from: Quickdraw on January 02, 2017, 09:30:33 am
I picked 8-4 which was a big dissapointment. I'm more concerned about their conference wins than there over all wins. Until he can get above. 500 on conference wins we are a celled dweller. And I don't see that changing.

He was above .500 in conference last year.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 02, 2017, 09:21:23 am

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 02, 2017, 09:29:02 am

Have a hard time sticking to your previous statement?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hobhog

Completely false.

Season started better than I thought, ended horribly. Next year coach B needs a breakout. But I'm still renewing tickets. WPS

WilsonHog

I had us at 8-4 after the regular season. So, since Bowl opponents are unknown, I figured 8-5 or 9-4. Finishing 7-6, especially how we failed to show for the second half against Missouri and Virginia Tech, has left me pretty disgusted.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on January 02, 2017, 09:30:07 am

LOL. You just said he needed to win a 10.

He changes daily, I bet if I cared enough I could find a 10-2 from him, lol.

BR

In my 7-5 I had TCU beating us, and us beating Mizzou..  Next year I would be hoping for an 8 Win season with 9 after a Bowl..  Just my opinion. Tough Road Games next year. 

Sept. 2 – FLORIDA A&M (Little Rock, Ark.)-
Sept. 9 – TCU -
Sept. 16 – Open Date
Sept. 23 – vs. Texas A&M* (Arlington, Texas) -
Sept. 30 – NEW MEXICO STATE -
Oct. 7 – at South Carolina* -
Oct. 14 – at Alabama* -
Oct. 21 – AUBURN* -
Oct. 28 – at Ole Miss* -
Nov. 4 – COASTAL CAROLINA -
Nov. 11 – at LSU* -
Nov. 18 – MISSISSIPPI STATE* -
Nov. 25 – MISSOURI* -

Dominicanhog

Started with 8 wins after the bowl... after TCU, I changed to 9 wins after the bowl, after Albarn I changed  to 7 wins after the bowl.. not sure how many more times I changed..

With full benefit of hindsight, I'll say 8 wins, no way do we lose to Missery...

Hoggish1

Quote from: Kevin on January 02, 2017, 07:54:42 am
7-6, we just got there in a strange way

No excuse for getting there that strangely...  This should have been a 9-4 team.  A lot of searching as to why is the next step in the progression.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hobhog on January 02, 2017, 09:36:39 am
Completely false.

Season started better than I thought, ended horribly. Next year coach B needs a breakout. But I'm still renewing tickets. WPS

There won't b a break out year.  It'll be 7 or 8 regular season wins at best.

jgphillips3

I had 8-4, 7-5 at worst. 9-4 or 8-5 after bowl game.  The ways in which we lost however were a complete surprise and disheartening.  They revealed flaws in the program that literally shocked me.

BR

Wish we all could be Charlie Wiess or Chip Kelly: Adam Schefter just said the 49ers owe $69 million to Chip Kelly, the previous head coaches and assistant coaches. Plus ole Charlie getting paid from Notre Dame & Kansas , and Chip getting money from the Eagles Also...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 02, 2017, 09:45:06 am
There won't b a break out year.  It'll be 7 or 8 regular season wins at best.

do you think we'll be scrapping for those wins or will be get them comfortably? 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: BR on January 02, 2017, 09:46:34 am
Wish we all could be Charlie Wiess or Chip Kelly: Adam Schefter just said the 49ers owe $69 million to Chip Kelly, the previous head coaches and assistant coaches. Plus ole Charlie getting paid from Notre Dame & Kansas , and Chip getting money from the Eagles Also...

not sure how all of Chip's exits have been settled, but you'd have to think his few years in the pro's have been very lucrative are going to pay nicely for years to come.. even after he goes back to college and starts getting paid again...

Sir Oinksalot

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Rarely ever felt better after
TCU and Florida, never ever felt worst against Mo. or Va.Tech...

So, my feelings about this season aren't in the W-L's but in a bi-polar season
that had us up and down like a yo-yo.  Too bad the downs were much worse and
more frequent than the ups.  Last season and this with almost identical
records were completely opposite in emotional relevance.

This was for me the worse season of the four under Beliema simply because
I completely fail to understand it, it's like a hole in my soul.

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

davehog

The record is about what I had expected preseason.

Expected
How good Austin was
The OLine struggling

Unexpected
How good RWIII was
How bad the defense was

The good and bad balanced each other out.