Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing the bowl game may not be all negative

Started by Svrdhd, January 01, 2017, 11:14:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Svrdhd

I believe that a win against VT could have delayed or otherwise diminished some necessary changes that are now all but inevitable in the offseason. A win might have hurt us more in the longer term than a loss. Jeff Long's tweet offers proof that he knows fans are restless and it seemed a tiny bit desperate.
  Secondly, did the 2016 team have real leadership from within? How many false starts would ANY other SEC team's offense allow before peer pressure alone straightened things out? Those constant small penalties are knocking the wind out of an offense with a fragile psyche. Beilema has had a good track record in the past of keeping those to a minimum, but this group isn't getting it.
   Finally, I think a major problem this past year was not coaching, but was between the player's ears. Maintaining confidence against good competition and the complete absence of killer instinct against inferior opponents was obvious. This psychology part may require a different coaching skillset than what we have on staff. Just my view from 800 miles away.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Shrevepork

Interesting point.
The second meltdown has started something that should lead to change in BB's S.O.P.

TXArcher

The next few months should be interesting to watch. Changes, NSD, spring ball, etc.

King Kong

January 02, 2017, 07:07:21 am #3 Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:58:56 pm by King Kong
I see only 2 ways this game be good.

1. It forces JL to open up the Asst Coaches salary budget for CBB to hire whoever he wants despite the cost.

2. CBB isn't able to turn this thing around and it puts us closer to a coaching change and we hire someone that works out.

Inhogswetrust

January 02, 2017, 08:21:19 am #4 Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:42:42 am by Inhogswetrust
There is NO way in ANY scenario that losing a bowl game is good. There is no way in any scenario that losing ANY game is good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ATLHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2017, 08:21:19 am
There is NO way in ANY scenario that losing bowl game is good. There is no way in any scenario that losing ANY game is good.
totally agree- ESPECIALLY after building a substantial lead by halftime!
I get what OP is saying, but no way can I find a positive in it-

Augustus

I didn't do it during the HDN era, and I refuse to do it now...

No way I will ever wish for, or accept a loss... "because it may usher in needed changes"

Losing games, and recognizing changes are needed are not mutually exclusive.

The only thing losing games does, is: turn off potential recruits, for any upcoming coach, if & when a change is made.

HardCore

There is NO way in ANY scenario that losing a bowl game is good. There is no way in any scenario that losing ANY game is good.

Agree!  That is kind of like saying.........Hell isn't all negative because you can toast Marshmellows
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

MJ2

Agree 100%

farmhawg

People that accept losing as a way for change don't get the reason for change in the first place.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hawgon

If you're looking for a silver lining, that might be it.  But it is all picking kernels of corn out of a pile of poo at this point.

OLDHOG

Maybe they need to hire a schrink to get their minds right. Couldn't hurt.

Bacons Rebellion

Losing a game is rarely ALL negative. Losing a game, however, is ALWAYS negative.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Augustus on January 02, 2017, 08:52:12 am
I didn't do it during the HDN era, and I refuse to do it now...

No way I will ever wish for, or accept a loss... "because it may usher in needed changes"

Losing games, and recognizing changes are needed are not mutually exclusive.

The only thing losing games does, is: turn off potential recruits, for any upcoming coach, if & when a change is made.

I'm with you on this. How can we hope for an 0-5 start to 2017?...or a Citadel-type loss? Neither or going to happen.

I hate losing. "Wanting" a certain number of losses on our part is a waste of energy. I want freaking wins, and I want our coach(es) to figure out how to get us more of them.

Svrdhd

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 02, 2017, 12:57:53 pm
I want freaking wins, and I want our coach(es) to figure out how to get us more of them.
The way we lost the bowl essentially replicated the Missouri game in the way it played out. Build a lead and go out with a whimper in the second half. The underlying problem(s) weren't fixed between Missouri and VT, and the result is another miscellaneous team record for our opponent.
   Are we sure that CBB would feel as much pressure to improve this team in the offseason if we had managed to hold on against VT? I think we'll be better off in 2017 because we lost, simply because it seems to take so much to make big changes.
  I am admittedly looking for a silver lining, but I think this 1 loss could increase our win total next year by >1.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

PossumFan

TNRazorbacker

If it took that bowl game debacle for him to realize changes are needed it does not bode well. That was evident about the Auburn game from my perspective, and cemented with Missouri.

jjsam

Pigsknuckles

Mizzou could have been passed off as an outlier. After VT, it became a legit trend. The only possible good would be to demonstrate to those in denial that the emperor has no clothes.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hoglady

There was not one thing positive about losing that bowl game the way we did. The negative national press continued all weekend.
If Bielema couldn't see that changes needed to be made after the regular season then he's not much of a head coach. He shouldn't have needed a bowl game collapse to tell him that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality