Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

delaying the inevitable?

Started by Elvis P Hogg, January 01, 2017, 05:04:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis P Hogg

Has there ever been any evidence that changing one or more assistant coaches significantly changes the trajectory  of a coaching regime?or does it just delay the inevitable?

Bubba's Bruisers

I'd say changing to Enos was for the better.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Poker_hog

Kiffin has worked out pretty well too.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jgphillips3

If the coach's ego doesn't get in the way, yes it can work.  We would have been lucky to be a 3 or 4 win team without Enos.  A good DC this year could left us 9-4 at worst instead of 7-6.

Elvis P Hogg

I guess what I'm getting at is there evidence in college football where a coach was on the hot seat in changing a few assistants  help them break through to the next level?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on January 01, 2017, 05:58:40 pm
I guess what I'm getting at is there evidence in college football where a coach was on the hot seat in changing a few assistants  help them break through to the next level?

Probably not a whole lot of evidence for it.  But I don't thing BB's seat is that hot, and I'm not really convinced he's being forced to make changes.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lakecityhog

Generally speaking when a coach loses the fan base it is pretty much over.

NuttinItUp

Stoops (at OU) has cleared house on assistants a few times and he has done fairly well over the long term.

Hollywood870

Delaying the buyout probably. It was a hell of a deal. Helluva deal I say.

hawgon

It almost never saves a drowning coach.  A good coach who has had success before things got stale, can shake it up and rekindle the fire a bit.

Tusks

Quote from: hawgon on January 01, 2017, 06:19:37 pm
It almost never saves a drowning coach.  A good coach who has had success before things got stale, can shake it up and rekindle the fire a bit.

Yeah I'm trying to think of a coach in the SEC since the hogs joined that was suxing and a major staff change or even a magic coordinator change took them to the next level, next level being being in the mix to play in ATL.

The closest I can think of is hootie and gus , but like it's said above hootie had won 9 games a couple of times before gus got there.

I'm thinking of teams that have played in the SECCG.  Most of the coaches got to their school and starting winning pretty quick.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PonderinHog

Quote from: tusked on January 01, 2017, 06:27:09 pm
Yeah I'm trying to think of a coach in the SEC since the hogs joined that was suxing and a major staff change or even a magic coordinator change took them to the next level, next level being being in the mix to play in ATL.

The closest I can think of is hootie and gus , but like it's said above hootie had won 9 games a couple of times before gus got there.

I'm thinking of teams that have played in the SECCG.  Most of the coaches got to their school and starting winning pretty quick.
Chizik, just for brief period.

The issue I feel we have is that BB displays a level of aloofness and unwillingness to actually assist his staff to the point that it wouldn't make much difference who was assisting.  This team at this moment in time is mentally lost, confused and very uncertain.  I suspect the assistants feel about the same way.  I also would offer that things could be much worse if we had a group of young assistants.  The fact that we have at least 2 former head coaches on staff is likely a blessing.  Enos is likely holding things together as much as they can be on offense right now. 

JNunn

I would say yes, look at what Petrino did before that fateful April. He fired Willy Robinson, who at the time had us at ok,  but not great as a defense. He brought in Paul Haynes from Ohio St. I remember watching the Cotton Bowl vs Kansas St. and being like man if this is the defense we play next year, we'll win the SEC. Unfortunately didn't happen.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7323879/willy-robinson-arkansas-razorbacks-defensive-coordinator
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/paul_haynes_named_to_razorback_football_staff_205344673/

What Bielema must do: is find a replacement for Robb Smith, be able to light a fire into the players, and play to the capabilities of his players. Your system doesn't work right now. He and Enos need adapt his run- first style.. Run from the Pistol formation a little bit

HamSammich

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 01, 2017, 05:10:04 pm
Kiffin has worked out pretty well too.

Yep bamer was going no where without him:

hamARchy in the USA

I'm pretty sure Tommy Tuberville was under pressure at Auburn when he was forced to make a change.  He brought in Al Borges as OC in 2004 and the program instantly picked up, buying Tuberville more time before he eventually petered out.

The culture of any program is set by the head coach.  Changing assistants rarely does anything more than buy some time.

Oklahawg

Stoops was pressured to upgrade a few years back. Brought his brother back and jettisoned Venables. Be careful what you wish for. But, he also upgraded from Josh Heupel to Lincoln Riley. A huge upgrade that was pretty much forced.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2017, 06:07:04 pm
Stoops (at OU) has cleared house on assistants a few times and he has done fairly well over the long term.

True, but you are talking Big 12, or whatever.  That's not te samw as the SEC last I checked...

NuttinItUp

Dabo Swinney fired OC and runningbacks coach in 2011
http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37039/dabo-swinney-fires-two-assistants-including-oc

They are doing pretty well the last few years...

reddogjcss

It's been working for OU and Stoops for years now!

Hogtimes

The first step for a coach on the hot seat, is fire the assistants.   Then the next step is to fire the head coach.

lefty08

Quote from: Elvis P Hogg on January 01, 2017, 05:04:24 pm
Has there ever been any evidence that changing one or more assistant coaches significantly changes the trajectory  of a coaching regime?or does it just delay the inevitable?

Every year we keep a coach we are delaying the inevitable, they are all gonna be fired. Most are fired way toonquickly
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged